Championship - Huddersfield Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another 3 points away?

Huddersfield Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
85%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

Denny61

Re: Championship - Huddersfield Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:28 pm

All good teams are going to have an off day..look at man City today..Huddersfield are a bog standard league one team playing hoof ball comes second nature to them...and considering conditions. Wasn't going to help..we did not loose and that is important....game on Tues night Against Hull will be the perfect match for the players to show us what Ipswich is all about and hit the back of the net several times.. and home again on sat ....we will be fine

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:12 pm
I see no player was given credit for an assist for Brandon Williams 87th minute goal. Surely whoever it was at the far post who planted the ball righ pinpoint accuracy and so cleverly onto Williams head must have been the assister.
I think it was Davis but I've only seen it the once.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:20 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:15 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I see no player was given credit for an assist for Brandon Williams 87th minute goal. Surely whoever it was at the far post who planted the ball righ pinpoint accuracy and so cleverly onto Williams head must have been the assister.
It was.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:17 pm
Had Freddie had his best first touch boots on today he’d have scored those two chances and we’d have won. He can be frustrating bless him. But overall we’ve gone well to get a point today.

But this underlines my fears for a Town team without a Morsy in it. We don’t look anywhere near as potent.
To be fair, Liz, Hirst missed 2 chances first half just as good if not better than the ones Ladapo missed.
Agree that we looked less potent today, but I don't necessarily attribute that to missing Morsy rather than I don't think Evans was up to it and we looked more potent when Taylor replaced him.

All in all, though, a good result.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:13 pm
In a non poetic way, AndyM, your autocorrect is taking the pish with that "fish".

Was that meant to be "goal"?
No, definitely a fish.
Ok, yes, goal.

The “league 1 side” comments made me smile; not far from the truth. They packed the midfield and then bypassed it with long balls. We found it hard to play or passing game. So I suppose all credit to them.
What they did do well was play the long ball out wide. I always feel we allow wide players too much space. I was pleased to see Clarke replaced who I thought was having s poor game.
Contrasting styles with nether side winning in any sense. An even, scrappy game.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:43 pm

With 2 key players down Ipswich did well,that foul on Hutchinson was it a pen? Didn't like he was man handled causing an incident with players booked,then booed by the scumbag Huddersfield fans.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:41 pm

Decent point for Town today.
Nice to see Hladkey doing the business. Should Walton get the gloves back as soon as he is fit ?
Superb start to the season, can they keep it going ?
Got good momentum now from last season and Lambert did it with Norwich

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:59 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:43 pm
With 2 key players down Ipswich did well,that foul on Hutchinson was it a pen? Didn't like he was man handled causing an incident with players booked,then booed by the scumbag Huddersfield fans.
Bit OTT ?
Haven't seen the incident at all but assuming Huddersfield players took exception to Hutchinson's actions ?

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:09 pm

Yep it was ott,Huddersfield player tried to pick Hutchinson up after he was allegedly fouled,think Burns stormed in pushing this player,both got a yellow.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:38 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:22 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Had Freddie had his best first touch boots on today he’d have scored those two chances and we’d have won. He can be frustrating bless him. But overall we’ve gone well to get a point today.

But this underlines my fears for a Town team without a Morsy in it. We don’t look anywhere near as potent.
To be fair, Liz, Hirst missed 2 chances first half just as good if not better than the ones Ladapo missed.
Agree that we looked less potent today, but I don't necessarily attribute that to missing Morsy rather than I don't think Evans was up to it and we looked more potent when Taylor replaced him.

But that’s the issue really isn’t it Gary. We don’t have a decent Morsy type replacement and whenever he’s not in the side we look about 60% effective to be.

I think Hirst snd Ladapo are different types of striker. One is still learning the game the other is more experienced. One is an instinctive fox in the box, the other shows tenacity and good awareness of others around him, and links up play well, and is deceptively quick. They both bring different attributes to the team. FWIW, I’d have had Ladapo in from the start today because he’s more physical than Hirst.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:14 pm

rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Exactly, Hirst misses loads of chances.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:16 pm

And having seen it a couple more times it was a definite penalty

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:16 pm
I'm assuming he didn't get a yellow for picking Hutchinson up by the shirt either? That's a foul and at least a yellow in my reckoning by itself.

Edit: I've read back a bit now. Bloody disgrace I thought, it's entertaining sometimes when a player has gone for a pathetic dive, but that was clearly not the case.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:14 pm
rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

They both do! As I’ve said they are different types of strikers. Ladapo was more suited to this type of opponent today so not sure why he wasn’t in from the start. Neither of them will be 20goals type of striker at this this level, this season. It is what it is . But of the two of them i personally prefer Hirst, whilst you prefer Ladapo. Nothing wrong with that……and I’m very happy when either striker scores the goals.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Yes. I think the ref was influenced by the crowd in several decisions.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
It was,the Huddersfield don't agree,sad acts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
rossi wrote:

They both do! As I’ve said they are different types of strikers. Ladapo was more suited to this type of opponent today so not sure why he wasn’t in from the start. Neither of them will be 20goals type of striker at this this level, this season. It is what it is . But of the two of them i personally prefer Hirst, whilst you prefer Ladapo. Nothing wrong with that……and I’m very happy when either striker scores the goals.
Absolutely there's nothing wrong with that, we all have our favs, that said Freddies indiscretions seem to be magnified much more than anyone else's and yet I reckon goals to minutes actually played he's probably the best at the club.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:51 am

Way I see it we're not going to win every game. May be a minority or percentage of the fanbase who expect to turn over each opponent we face or three points from it but it's not going to be that way. Thought a draw would come to pass from it and so it proved.

Didn't recognize our scorer at first but what a time to make an impact. Too close for comfort in almost losing the game but stats and analysis dictate a point for each represented a fair score. Enough to take the team back to #1 position so why not reflect on that a moment rather than dwell of any negatives from the event. It's been a great start, totally beyond all expectation. After years and years of neglect it's a club name you can once again take pride in.

Some would argue they'll be more pleased in taking a point from it other than our ourselves even with that late goal in the equation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:34 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:20 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:15 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I see no player was given credit for an assist for Brandon Williams 87th minute goal. Surely whoever it was at the far post who planted the ball with pinpoint accuracy and so cleverly onto Williams head must have been the assister.
It was.
It can't be an assist because it's headed last by the Huddersfield defender

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:15 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Absolutely there's nothing wrong with that, we all have our fans, that said Freddies indiscretions seem to be magnified much more than anyone else's and yet I reckon goals to minutes actually played he's probably the best at the club.
Two weeks ago you called Hirst a donkey on fb!

Out of the two players, I’d say Hirst had the better all round game. He’s not banging the goals in as much as the club would like I’m sure. But he appears to offer the team more in his general play. McKenna (who we all know, knows his stuff) thinks Hirst has something about him and prefers to play him for a reason. The goals will come I’m sure. But as I’ve said he’s much younger and less experienced than Ladapo ( whose game is more about what happens in that 6yard area). Give him the ball there and he will ( on a good day) convert. I think I’m being fair about both players. I certainly haven’t trashed Ladapo.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:44 am

Penalty incident was interesting. On the highlights we can't really tell if it was or not. Hutchinson was cute enough to cut out right making contact much more likely and if he got tripped as a result then it's a pen. But we would need a closer view IMO.

If there was no contact then it was a dive. Either way the defender who yanked him up was lucky to get away with a yellow.

Scrappy draw - plenty of positives. We move on.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:51 am

Wasn’t just the players who were not on their game yesterday as Town support was very quiet for the majority of time, except those who seemed to want to moan about every player who made a mistake. Yes the performance was not up to our usual standards but that is going to happen at times during the season.
13 points from our first 5 away games in the league is not a bad return!

BlueBalls

Post by BlueBalls » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:12 pm

Clarke not good enough

Evans not good enough

Hirst, I like but misses too many chances

Wes Burns respect for how he jumped in to support Hutchinson after the clear penalty. Otherwise not good enough.

----------

I am back.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:52 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Clarke not good enough

Evans not good enough

Wes Burns respect for how he jumped in to support Hutchinson after the clear penalty. Otherwise not good enough.

----------

I am back.
For me it’s Harry Clarke’s current form that disappoints the most. When he first arrived he was like a breath of fresh air and far better than any other fullback we had on our books. This season his performances have been very average at best especially when defending.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:54 pm

I think our biggest problem was how much we missed Sam Morsy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:05 am

Broadhead a bit too I think

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:20 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:05 am
Broadhead a bit too I think
Definitely missed Broadhead. Hutchinson looked more effective when he moved out wide as well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:31 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:52 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Clarke not good enough

Evans not good enough

----------

I am back.
For me it’s Harry Clarke’s current form that disappoints the most. When he first arrived he was like a breath of fresh air and far better than any other fullback we had on our books. This season his performances have been very average at best especially when defending.
I wonder if Clarke is still carrying that injury...Achilles isn't it? Hallam, can those types of injuries stick around for a while?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:02 am

I agree, I don't think he's been completely fit all season

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:31 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:52 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Clarke not good enough

Evans not good enough

----------

I am back.
I wonder if Clarke is still carrying that injury...Achilles isn't it? Hallam, can those types of injuries stick around for a while?
Yes it’s an Achilles problem . I bet he ends up having surgery on it. They can go on for months and months. They need to look at his foot biomechanics , and the type of boots he’s wearing. He had it last season too, apparently!