We can’t stand still - McKenna

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

We can’t stand still - McKenna

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:38 am

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna says his side 'can't afford to stand still' following a flying start to the season.

Tuesday night's impressive 3-0 home win against Hull City means the Blues have set a new record for the most points taken (25) by a newly-promoted Championship side after 10 games.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's visit of Preston North End, McKenna said: "We need to keep improving because we’re going to face different strategies.

"Huddersfield (1-1 away last weekend) was completely different, tonight (against Hull) completely different and Preston will probably be different again.

"We need to keep developing and improving. We can’t stand still because then you become easier to analyse and easier to prepare against.

“We need to keep working to develop different structures we can use and we need to keep working to develop the players individually because it’s great having good patterns and good attacking structures, but individual quality and individual actions are what makes it come to life."

Ipswich have now won 23 of their last 28 games across all competitions - 24 if you include the penalty shootout win at Reading in the Carabao Cup.

“We’ve had 12-18 months in terms of breaking records and stuff like that, but I’ve always said they’re things to look back on in the future," said McKenna.

“Tonight was a good night, I’m not going to shy away from the fact that it’s a night we should enjoy as a group of staff, players, a football club, supporters, everyone together.

“But it’s one game. We've got Preston on Saturday and playing well tonight doesn’t get us six points from the two games.

"Of course, longitudinally, there are positives we can take, but there’s also room for improvement.

“Our focus is just on the next game. I think the time for looking back on those things is probably way, way down the line.”

Shed on tour

Re: We can’t stand still - McKenna

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:00 am

Yet again wise words by our manager. For me one of his biggest attributes is the confidence he has and shows in our players. Take the Hull game for example, when I saw that Edmundson was in for Burgess I immediately assumed that Cameron had picked up an injury. If somebody had said to me no Burgess is fine I would have thought what the hell is McKenna thinking of.
Then you hear KM go into detail of why he made that decision and the confidence he had that Edmundson could do the job that he was asked to do you realise why the players have so much belief in him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:13 am

He is just incredible, his maturity belies his years and his knowledge leaves far more seasoned managers trailing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:13 am
He is just incredible, his maturity belies his years and his knowledge leaves far more seasoned managers trailing.
Can’t really emphasise your post enough. He just cannot be 37 years old. I find his interviews astonishing and his intellect (as you say) belies his years.

I’m not a fan of Jose Mourinho. Not because of anything at all about football, but 100% because of his media persona / act. (It is an act) ……. But if the majority of what Kieron has learned has been a result of being in Jose’s company….. then eternal thanks to “The Special One”.