Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really at the pointy end of the season now

Hull Win
8%
Town Win
77%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 pm

WOW!!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

Holy sh*t how the hell have we not scored a fourth.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Omari Jonny Wilkinson

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

Wow, has there ever been a season like this?

My heart is racing just from staring at the phone for updates! Not sure i could've watched it!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Great game. Very well done lads.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Well the was a truly bizarre game of football, I'm not sure why by it was a very weird one.

A very important point, but it feels like two points dropped.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

I would add how is that only 6 minutes added by the way? All the subs a couple of injuries, 3 goals. Ridiculous when most games are running +10 these days

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Our inability to defend properly has cost us the win tonight. Got a hope we do the job Tuesday now, because I wouldn’t want it down to the last game at home.
I’m disappointed with that tonight . We gave them a way back into the game time and time again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 pm

A fair result but ahead Three times you should win the game and how the hell did we not score a fourth at the end

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 pm

Snap Elie Simms first 5 mins on Tuesday....., then 3pts at Coventry, NO worries.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

Well that's another point nearer the finish line, rather be in our position then Leeds anyday.

A win against Coventry and we are good as up, pressure really on Leeds, cannot see them beating Southampton either.

Come on lads, let's finish the job!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 pm

I didn't watch the game, but as I said beforehand, I'll take that point, it's a good away result at a team that had to win. Not going to analyse it too much as it's not worth it now

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm
Our inability to defend properly has cost us the win tonight. Got a hope we do the job Tuesday now, because I wouldn’t want it down to the last game at home.
I’m disappointed with that tonight . We gave them a way back into the game time and time again.
Love you, Hallam......, but we see things completely differently. Totally 100% respect your views....., but I just didn't see very much to criticize Ipswich Town over tonight. Two teams with heaps to play for, and both went hell for leather. Kudos deserved in my humble opinion. The Unicorn will get ITFC to the Promised Land. ........

....... and it'll be OFF THE FECKIN SCALE negativity in exactly 12 months time. :lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

Really tough rollercoaster but a point is no disaster. Jeeo the faith - this is Ipswich after all...

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 pm

Not sure how we didn’t score at the end, but then again not sure how their guy headed it over the net from five feet 🤷‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Just got this opinion from a Newcastle supporting friend;

" My summary. Terrific game. 2 mistakes by your goalie (what was **** was he thinking?), 2 brilliant goals by Hutchinson, Sarmiento a waste of space. Glad I chose to watch it. "

Often nice to get a neutral (ok an almost adopted Town fan) view of the game.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 pm

Can't help feeling Town threw away 2 points tonight. 2 defensive errors. Otherwise i thought they were excellant. Didn't want to go to Coventry and not lose. Still in Town hands but a real sense of what it should have been

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 pm

The PL door is wide open and we keep tripping on the welcome mat

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 pm

I think Hladky should take the blame for the third goal, and wasn’t blameless for the first either. The second goal was largely down to a Luongo being slow to close down the cross. I mention this because I think it is a bit harsh to blame the defence.
Two great goals from Hutchinson (I take back what I said a couple of weeks ago that he was great with the ball at his feet but there’s never an end product!)
We can’t afford to lose on Tuesday now, and assuming we get something from the game it’ll all be down to next Saturday. A bit worried that we will be knackered and carrying knocks for Tuesday, I expect a few changes. Hopefully Davis will have recovered.
A decent performance, good to watch but to be in front 3 times and not win is poor. But to be fair, we have won so many from losing positions, it isn’t often we don’t win when in front.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm
Love you, Hallam......, but we see things completely differently. Totally 100% respect your views....., but I just didn't see very much to criticize Ipswich Town over tonight. Two teams with heaps to play for, and both went hell for leather. Kudos deserved in my humble opinion. The Unicorn will get ITFC to the Promised Land. ........

....... and it'll be OFF THE FECKIN SCALE negativity in exactly 12 months time. :lol:
But we can't defend marko, we can't! No way should we have allowed them back into the game three times. Our defence isn't, and never has been good enough.

But we'll agree to differ.

My fear now is the next two games are very much pressure games. Which MUST win.

We could yet c*ck this up due to our bloody poor GD compared to those around us.

Last three games all draws , that's 3 points from 9. Not good enough is it

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm

For what it’s worth I thought that was a brilliant game of football tonight closely fought by two teams who clearly wanted to win. To be honest we never looked like losing and I always expected us to be good enough to get one more than our opponents and I still don’t know how we didn’t score a fourth.

When I read some of the comments on here it makes me laugh and I can only assume some of you only see one team on the pitch and forget we have 11 equally determined opponents all doing their bit to make their team effective. Some seem to think the opposition don’t exist or even score any goals themselves, and assume they just get gifted them just like Omari had two gifted to him tonight by poor defending.

You could say Hladky made two bad errors tonight which cost us the match, but you could look at it differently and say Hull scored those two goals through their impressive pressing which they applied throughout the match.

Come on guys that was a pretty impressive end of season performance tonight at a time when anyone knowledgeable about their football knows that winning points is very difficult.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 pm

Great game. Hladky probably cost us two goals tonight but he's been great this season and if we had converted one more of the chances later in the 2nd half, we wouldn't be talking about him.

Hull were very motivated and we did well to hold them. Coventry and Huddersfield won't be however. Yes, they may play with more freedom as they have nothing to lose but if we play like we did tonight, I have no worries.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 pm

Remember one time the defense was solid, went game after game without conceding. Right now its something else and we're giving far too many goals to opposition teams than should be allowed. IF we miss out on promotion it'll be one main factor as to where we fell short. Been too many draws games just recent also, missed out on additional points.

We still got a game in hand over Leeds so very much remain in contention. Need to catch highlights and further report before providing further analysis but initial reaction, kind of another missed opportunity. Three minutes from a damn victory but seems we did what was asked but they denied us late on. One last time too many drawn games last few weeks have held us back, if the team could prevent goals conceded by this stage of season we'd most likely have made it through by now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm
For what it’s worth I thought that was a brilliant game of football tonight closely fought by two teams who clearly wanted to win. To be honest we never looked like losing and I always expected us to be good enough to get one more than our opponents and I still don’t know how we didn’t score a fourth.

When I read some of the comments on here it makes me laugh and I can only assume some of you only see one team on the pitch and forget we have 11 equally determined opponents all doing their bit to make their team effective. Some seem to think the opposition don’t exist or even score any goals themselves, and assume they just get gifted them just like Omari had two gifted to him tonight by poor defending.

You could say Hladky made two bad errors tonight which cost us the match, but you could look at it differently and say Hull scored those two goals through their impressive pressing which they applied throughout the match.

Come on guys that was a pretty impressive end of season performance tonight at a time when anyone knowledgeable about their football knows that winning points is very difficult.
Word!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm

Yes it was amazing impressive performance, spoiled by poor defending. No point scoring 3 brilliant goals only to give soft goals away at the other end. Our goals scored were different quality to the ones we let in....in my humble opinion of course. We should have won that game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 pm

osborne77 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 pm
Great game. Hladky probably cost us two goals tonight but he's been great this season and if we had converted one more of the chances later in the 2nd half, we wouldn't be talking about him.

Hull were very motivated and we did well to hold them. Coventry and Huddersfield won't be however. Yes, they may play with more freedom as they have nothing to lose but if we play like we did tonight, I have no worries.
I sincerely hope you're right there, because to come so far and maybe fail because we can't defend will be a crying shame. Our wonderful season won't be remembered as " wonderful". Itll potentially be remembered as the one we threw promotion away.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:33 am

I’m glad I didn’t watch! I’m not sure my heart could’ve taken it. Folks, it’s not over yet!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 am

I watched a super game tonight at the end my nerves were shot I honestly couldn't stop shaking at how we didn't get a 4th goal when we had them under the cosh, 3-3 was a fair result tonight, now all we need is a win and a draw and were home and dry, draw with Coventry on Tuesday and win against Huddersfield next Saturday 4 points or 6 even better and we are up.

I was shocked to see Burns and Hirst start but after a long injury break they did very well at Coventry playing 4-2-4 Moore and Hirst upfront with Burns and Hutchinson on the flanks and if Davis is still injured play Clarke at leftwing back and Axel Right wing Back

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:46 am

Suppose we lost our next game then automatic promotion goes out the window. Think it's only fair to entertain all possibilities and either we go all out for the win when time arises and pummel them into submission but it leaves us open, or could either approach it with caution and play defense minded for the most part of it and set out to leave with a point.

There's absolutely no guarantee of a final day win over Huddersfield despite a home advantage and partizan crowd support particularly with what could be at stake. We deserve to go up at long last there can be little doubt but we've made it tough for ourselves with a number of missed opportunities in recent games. Played Watford, Middlesbrough and now Hull and failed to win any. Call it nerves, call it hesitation, call it missed chances or misfortune but the fact remains many would argue we should now be in a position (from those games alone) where the club name should already be cemented in the automatic places with even two games remaining.

Caught highlights. Deserved to win on the strength of Hutchinsons goals alone. Vaclav made one or two errors but didn't find him at fault for the third, wasn't able to keep out the rebound from that close in and he's been such a reliable servant for us for the most part. Hirst back and scoring was a bonus but not for the first time we couldn't defend a lead and got caught out late on. It's a damn shame we should ideally be in a position where we're already assured of the top two but now got to wait that extra bit longer to see where it takes us. There really isn't much else you can add to this.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:09 am

A point gained is far from being a disaster. Great game for the neutral, with both teams having much to play for.
But when all is said and done, I can't help feeling a bit disappointed - but for poor defending we would have got all 3 points although I have to concede that a draw was probably a fair result.

So we still need a win and a draw to ensure promotion, and our recent form suggests that it will be far from easy - I think we will do it.