How much should we pay for players?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:44 pm

Omari Hutchinson has been rated at $20 million. I rate him at $8 million.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: How much should we pay for players?

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 11, 2024 2:08 am

I don’t think there’s any chance Chelsea will release Hutchinson. Our best chance of having him at Portman Road next season will be on a season long loan deal after he signs a new contract with Chelsea.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 11, 2024 7:47 am

Many factors, age, contract status, other club competition etc

Sorry but 8m is a joke in todays market, they paid 5m to get him from arsenal when he was 16, no way they are selling for less than 20m, also has the young English player tax.

I’m sure we’ll be smart in the market, but you’ll have to accept fees are high now.

It’s a supply and demand situation. Turn it around, if he was a town player would you sell for 8m?! Hell no….

Same for Davis, you’d want absolute minimum 15m

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:23 am

shabba wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:47 am

Sorry but 8m is a joke in todays market, they paid 5m to get him from arsenal when he was 16, no way they are selling for less than 20m, also has the young English player tax.
Ok. I figured the price would be high, I'm just trying to grasp how much we will be able to afford now. Cheers for the feedback.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 am

Realistically we could have 50-70m to spend I’d say, depends on how big you go on wages.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:46 am

I'd prefer to get Hutchinson back on loan, but I'm hearing there's interest elsewhere. You'd think if Chelsea do decide to send him out on loan, Pochettino would prefer to see Hutch develop under McKenna.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 11, 2024 12:48 pm

Unfortunately this is the PL… and all its shortcomings and overinflated grandeur. We will have to pay what is being ask to a certain extent. The only hope is with these FFP rules starting to hit at PL level snd clubs being required to sell / offload many players b4 they can buy again may work in our favour now as the supply/ demand curve shifts…. But that’s Andy’s territory more than mine. I was never very good at sums!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 am
Realistically we could have 50-70m to spend I’d say, depends on how big you go on wages.
That's my kind of gut feeling, but so many variables, how do the owners see it, how does Ashton and McKenna see things, how do the accountants see it.

Personally I think they should take some risk, Leeds and Leicester won't be able to spend like us, and there are a number of teams flying close to the sun who may take point deductions. It's probably as good a time as any to speculate a bit, and try and become established in the middle order of the league, leapfrogging the parachute payment yoyo clubs.

I'm thinking 4 or 5 signings in the £5-15m range, maybe 3 or 4 youth or speculative signings, with half a dozen leaving the club. That would be a very busy window, but we know the step to the Prem is sizeable. McKenna has the tactics very well drilled, I don't know whether that helps or hinders when it comes to settling new players in to the team.

It's going to be a mad time that's for sure.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm
shabba wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 am
That's my kind of gut feeling, but so many variables, how do the owners see it, how does Ashton and McKenna see things, how do the accountants see it.

Personally I think they should take some risk, Leeds and Leicester won't be able to spend like us, and there are a number of teams flying close to the sun who may take point deductions. It's probably as good a time as any to speculate a bit, and try and become established in the middle order of the league, leapfrogging the parachute payment yoyo clubs.

I'm thinking 4 or 5 signings in the £5-15m range, maybe 3 or 4 youth or speculative signings, with half a dozen leaving the club. That would be a very busy window, but we know the step to the Prem is sizeable. McKenna has the tactics very well drilled, I don't know whether that helps or hinders when it comes to settling new players in to the team.

It's going to be a mad time that's for sure.
Then there is the 5 x £15M gel issue. Nightmare!!

Still……. A much better nightmare than “away @ Cheltenham”.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 pm

Am I right in thinking, Ashton will also have to renegotiate the contracts for the players we keep?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 11, 2024 8:18 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 pm
Am I right in thinking, Ashton will also have to renegotiate the contracts for the players we keep?
If they were forward thinking, then they will have clauses that will give them a wage increase in the event they're promoted to the Premiership to keep everything in line and a carrot for the players to chase. Nobody would have expected to be there so soon though :lol:

I'm sure there will be some reneged contracts to adjust things, reward things, and perhaps make things fairer. I can't imagine it would be a major headache though?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 12, 2024 6:06 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 pm
I would expect all footballers contracts to include standard promotion and relegation clauses that protect both the players and their clubs. In respect of the players I’m sure they will all have received a promotion bonus and protection in respect of their outstanding contract. I suspect that every player in the squad will have a step-up clause in his contract which will substantially increase their weekly remuneration. Those players we wish to keep will probably receive new extended contracts with clauses that protect the club in respect of any relegation within the term of the contract and ensure we get a good fee if another club tries to sign them whilst in contract to Town.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 12, 2024 10:38 am

This set of players definitely deserve a pay rise don’t they. Good on em