McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Well discussions were taking place before the celebrations had barely finished and before the awards etc had even been awarded, sorry but for me the guy is like every other one in football, a complete wanker.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:05 pm

I’m sure Sir Alex has recommended McKenna, but let’s not forget Sir Alex also recommended Moyes. It will be completely ludicrous if the Man Utd hierarchy decide to go with an unproven Premier League manager! Poor old Kieran won’t last the season! Too many big heads making decisions about big heads. I will laugh out loud if ManU appoint young Kieran! It will be another mistake in their downfall. Who the f*ck is running that club?!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 9:17 pm

It's a big difference between KMc taking on a div one side that had quite a few good players with some thanks to Cook and not expected to do what he did, taking on Man U with them needing to get rid of poor overpaid players and being expected to win trophies is another matter.
Plus I hate Manure 😂😂

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:20 pm

McKenna as Man Utd manager will go from making sure Woolfy isn’t eating too many sweets, to making sure Antony isn’t smacking the sweets! This really is incredible! Fine, take the leap Kieran but don’t expect me to feel sorry for you when you land in a pile of sh*t!

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 pm

If he goes to man United or other club. Il be very disappointed in him...he has won the hearts of ipswich community and fans and people have invested in him.. from a personal perspective..he has brought us here to this point..no other manager would'n have got us to it ..and now we want him to have a shot at The premier league. With us .but if his head is turned by bigger notions .we'll he has definitely gone down in my estimation....and integrity ..I know he doesn't owe us anything but why leave .ipswich could easily become a top 6club in years to come .look at Atlanta last night ..stadium.of 24 thousand..They beat the bundesleague champions who were unbeaten in 51 games?? So nothing holding back any club once they have right coached players and desire. We could be like that

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:51 pm

Teuchel is the perfect manager for Man Utd. He’s a genius defensively, he has Premier League and European experience. I’d walk out of the stadium if they appoint Kieran.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:58 pm

Regardless of what is required or "best" for Man Utd, (because no one really gives a fk) ---->> as said last week: be fearful of the OFFER from Man Utd. Because he WILL go, for sure.

But I'm sticking with him remaining at Portman Road. Seeing out the plans that were set out to be achieved. Yes they've all been shocked at the speed of progress, but just keep on keeping on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l91O9VxN0

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:58 pm
Regardless of what is required or "best" for Man Utd, (because no one really gives a fk) ---->> as said last week: be fearful of the OFFER from Man Utd. Because he WILL go, for sure.

But I'm sticking with him remaining at Portman Road. Seeing out the plans that were set out to be achieved. Yes they've all been shocked at the speed of progress, but just keep on keeping on.

hope he does marko..hes still a young man..

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:18 pm

marko69 wrote:

Young Kieran, flossing his teeth…getting ready for bed. Music in the background
https://youtu.be/btPJPFnesV4?si=NJ-iiYnKRmGfjHc4

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 10:42 pm

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager

Not that Brighton was ever a realistic outcome anyway….

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:42 pm

Brighton, Chelsea, Man Utd would all be suspect if they appointed an unproven Premier League manager. I honestly think common sense will prevail and Kieran will be our manager. I’m not sure if Kieran really knows what he’s getting himself into. It makes so much more sense if he waits, but he’ll have to discuss it with his family and make a decision. In my opinion, it’s too early to move up.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 24, 2024 3:45 am

marko69 wrote:

I’m with you Marko and still think our only threat of losing him is a Man Utd offer which he would never turn down. Whether it gets tabled or not will depend on the thoughts of Sir James Ratcliffe and Sir Alex Ferguson, but after the crap season they’ve just had I don’t think they’ll want to be taking any risks with a rookie manager.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 24, 2024 8:08 am

ITFC2024 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:05 pm
I’m sure Sir Alex has recommended McKenna, but let’s not forget Sir Alex also recommended Moyes. It will be completely ludicrous if the Man Utd hierarchy decide to go with an unproven Premier League manager! Poor old Kieran won’t last the season! Too many big heads making decisions about big heads. I will laugh out loud if ManU appoint young Kieran! It will be another mistake in their downfall. Who the f*ck is running that club?!
ah
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... MTQMxNgujo

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 24, 2024 8:17 am

Just to add some mud to the water

Thomas Tuchel, who is a free agent after leaving Bayern Munich, is the leading candidate to take over at Manchester United if they sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup final. (Guardian), external

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna is open to taking over at Manchester United if Ten Hag leaves. (Manchester Evening News), external

Brighton are confident of beating Chelsea in hiring McKenna but could try to bring back former manager Graham Potter if they fail to do so. (Times - subscription required), external

Chelsea are set to ask newly promoted Leicester City for permission to speak to Enzo Maresca about their managerial vacancy.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:09 am

Round and round and round they go.
Where they end up nobody knows!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 9:10 am

shabba wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:08 am
ITFC2024 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:05 pm
ah
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... MTQMxNgujo

My friend ( a die hard Town fan), who lives in Manchester told me this a week ago but I just dismissed it as didn’t think it possibly given their current situation in the club. But of course if anyone knows McKenna, it’s Utd!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 9:12 am

shabba wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:17 am
Just to add some mud to the water

Thomas Tuchel, who is a free agent after leaving Bayern Munich, is the leading candidate to take over at Manchester United if they sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup final. (Guardian), external

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna is open to taking over at Manchester United if Ten Hag leaves. (Manchester Evening News), external

Brighton are confident of beating Chelsea in hiring McKenna but could try to bring back former manager Graham Potter if they fail to do so. (Times - subscription required), external

Chelsea are set to ask newly promoted Leicester City for permission to speak to Enzo Maresca about their managerial vacancy.
So, basically no one knows what’s going on lol … media drumming up sales in the close season and bookings fuelling this , 100%

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 9:13 am

ITFC2024 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:53 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:42 pm

Brighton, Chelsea, Man Utd would all be suspect if they appointed an unproven Premier League manager. I honestly think common sense will prevail and Kieran will be our manager. I’m not sure if Kieran really knows what he’s getting himself into. It makes so much more sense if he waits, but he’ll have to discuss it with his family and make a decision. In my opinion, it’s too early to move up.
Agree 100%…. Just hoping and praying very hard the McKennas see it that way too 🤞🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 9:15 am

You just can't avoid it but I'm honestly sick to the back teeth of it already. It just puts me off bloody football even more.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 24, 2024 9:17 am

RRanger wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 6:16 pm
I have to say I'm a tad disappointed with all the speculation going on on this site right now. I know its the dead time of the year when we (fans) all have to continue our football chat but all we are doing is falling for the dross and mostly rubbish speculation of the newspapers who have to fill their sports pages with their so-called knowledge of what is going on in the close season and WE ARE FALLING FOR IT. I have seen nothing that makes me think that KM won't still be at Ipswich when the new season starts. The one thing that he and Ashton have said ,and more than once,is that they are planning for their first season in the Premier League and that KM is excited about the challenge. He has built this side and I really can't see him going to Brighton,Chelsea or even Man U right now and quite frankly I can't see Man U coming in for him YET which is not to say that he might not end up there one day in the future. Brighton? You must be joking - yes they are pretty well managed and have played some great football over the last few years but really , does any Ipswich supporter ,or KM consider them a bigger and better run club than ITFC is right now? I just don't believe that KM will give up his and Ashton's plans for the club over the next few years. KM has always said this is a project for him and I'm absolutely positive he meant that and the project is not yet completed. I'm sure that KM has the self confidence to target a top 10 finish next season at the very least at a club that suits him and as far as we know suits his young family as well.
I'm convinced he'll be here with us next season.
Isn't all this just more speculation? :) :wink:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 4:52 pm
The Guardian article could have been written by anybody as it is one persons view of the world (as they - a journalist) sees it but there is nothing in there from Ratcliffe, McKenna, Ashton, his agent, Uncle Tom Cobley or anyone else with even a whiff of actual 'knowledge'. Its all speculation and as we have said, it will continue as long as the post is vacant (when it does become so!). Are we all so unconvinced by KM even after all of the facts we have seen about his desire, ability and commitment to a cause? I have more faith in him than that. I prefer to believe what I have seen of him rather than what some tabloid rag journo - desperate for column inches writes. I have said it before - in Kieran I trust - for one more season at least! One other thing - if Man U hire him and it blows up (which lets face it without getting rid of all of their primadonnas, it will), they will be crucified. Can you really see MU 'fans' buying into a 2 or 3 year rebuild that will get worse before it gets better? They will be out protesting and marching through the streets of chelsea, islington, high wycombe, surrey and oxfordshire before you know it!
I posted this 10 days ago and it still holds true for me. My only concern is why MA and KM have not come out and put it to bed. Its in their hands and they just need to get on with it one way or the other.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri May 24, 2024 10:02 am

marko69 wrote:
But I'm sticking with him remaining at Portman Road. Seeing out the plans that were set out to be achieved.
Likewise I am with you on this Marko. We really don't know what is going on at the moment, but I feel we can be next to certain that heavy discussions/negotiations will be taking place at ITFC. Man U still have a manager in place, but have quietly eyed KM as a likely replacement. Seeing 'their' man being linked with other clubs, they might just have wanted to see whether Keiran was considering a move elsewhere, rather than missing out on him in the here & now!

Let's try not to start throwing mud at KM until we know exactly what is happening, as unfortunately there are numpties within our support (Not on TB.com I add) who will be looking for any reason to throw abuse at Keiran if he is still in charge at Ipswich and we don't start the season with any wins.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri May 24, 2024 10:15 am

Late night thoughts.

The longer all this speculation goes on the more we know it is but that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:15 am
Late night thoughts.

Except when its about Russia going to invade Ukraine…… speculation for months……. Then WHAM!!!

(….. meaning Putin invaded…… he didn’t spin some “wake me up before you go go”)

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm

The Express:
In October 2021, a month before United dismissed Solskjaer, reports surfaced suggesting unrest about McKenna's methods on the training pitch.

The Telegraph claimed that some noises were coming out of Carrington about his coaching sessions being more suited to academy football than at senior level.

According to The Athletic, several senior players wanted training to be led by coaches with greater elite experience.

McKenna's approach was also reportedly described as "schoolmastery", as if he was taking a class at school, leaving players uninspired.
No surprise there. This could be McKenna's Achilles heel at big clubs, at least until he establishes himself as a manager with Premier League and Europe experience.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm

Xavi sacked by Barcelona, expect McKenna to be in the frame :roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 24, 2024 1:28 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm
The Express:
In October 2021, a month before United dismissed Solskjaer, reports surfaced suggesting unrest about McKenna's methods on the training pitch.

The Telegraph claimed that some noises were coming out of Carrington about his coaching sessions being more suited to academy football than at senior level.

According to The Athletic, several senior players wanted training to be led by coaches with greater elite experience.

McKenna's approach was also reportedly described as "schoolmastery", as if he was taking a class at school, leaving players uninspired.
No surprise there. This could be McKenna's Achilles heel at big clubs, at least until he establishes himself as a manager with Premier League and Europe experience.
Elements in the Man Utd squad certainly have no respect for him, that is clear. The thing I’m struggling with if he went back there, is how he would deal with these disruptive, egotistical players? I don’t seem him as a “demolition man”, and I believe Paul Cook is happy at Chesterfield FC. But that Manure squad needs a good clear out. I don’t actually blame the current manager for their current form. So many of those players need to be kicked out of the club. If ever there a time NOT to go to Utd from McKenna’s perspective, it’s now. I hope he has the sense to see that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: You bstd!!! Coffee came down my nose with that one.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 24, 2024 1:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm
They will have to wait until after the 4th July as apparently he is on the shortlist for PM.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri May 24, 2024 2:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:15 am
Late night thoughts.

Except when its about Russia going to invade Ukraine…… speculation for months……. Then WHAM!!!

(….. meaning Putin invaded…… he didn’t spin some “wake me up before you go go”)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition