McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by rossi » Sat May 25, 2024 7:33 am

Andym wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:05 pm
Just seen this posted on twtd: it hasn’t copied over as it should. But it was a Times article stating McKenna had an interview at Brighton

If true he has plummeted in my estimation:

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous1next >
Brighton interviewed McKenna on Wednesday 19:57 - May 24 with 1354 views SitfcB

According to the Times.

And he’s waiting for Man Utd, as it’s (obviously) his number 1 choice.

Twtd poster then said……

I would be very surprised if McKenna is Man Utd’s first choice, can’t see them wanting someone like him in charge at this moment in time.
I honestly can’t see him going to Man U. I don’t think the players would want him (they made disparaging remarks about him being like a schoolmaster) and neither do the fans. I think Brighton is more likely, followed by Chelsea. I have a feeling that he is looking for / expecting a move away to a more established prem side, and works be very surprised if he stayed. I think the search is probably on for a replacement.

And I’ll say again why I’ve said before; whether he is here or elsewhere, i don’t see him being successful. I’m very grateful for some exciting, attacking football. But his defensive record over the last two seasons suggests the prem is currently beyond his ability. I’m sure he’ll learn in time, but his first half season at least is unlikely to be a good one.
A good well reasoned post, Andy.
Yeah, I also heard that the MU players thought his training methods were way below them. Could it be that his training ethos works brilliantly at Championship and L1 level, but not with players of PL ability? I don't know..
Definitely food for thought there

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 25, 2024 7:35 am

ITFC2024 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm
Just had a revelation, do we really want a manager who’s not committed to Ipswich Town? Not sure I want him to stay now.
He's a professional - if he stays then he'll be 100% committed to the club.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 25, 2024 7:39 am

rossi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:35 am
ITFC2024 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm
Just had a revelation, do we really want a manager who’s not committed to Ipswich Town? Not sure I want him to stay now.
He's a professional - if he stays then he'll be 100% committed to the club.
Agree, that post is just daft - seems to be a new poster on this forum - with some ‘interesting’ opinions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 8:11 am

Here’s an interesting article from the Independent. Looks at things objectively ….and not just Ipswich centred either…

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... 0bf7&ei=17

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 8:14 am

rossi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:33 am
Andym wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:05 pm
Just seen this posted on twtd: it hasn’t copied over as it should. But it was a Times article stating McKenna had an interview at Brighton

If true he has plummeted in my estimation:

Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Page: < previous1next >
Brighton interviewed McKenna on Wednesday 19:57 - May 24 with 1354 views SitfcB

According to the Times.

And he’s waiting for Man Utd, as it’s (obviously) his number 1 choice.

Twtd poster then said……

I would be very surprised if McKenna is Man Utd’s first choice, can’t see them wanting someone like him in charge at this moment in time.
I honestly can’t see him going to Man U. I don’t think the players would want him (they made disparaging remarks about him being like a schoolmaster) and neither do the fans. I think Brighton is more likely, followed by Chelsea. I have a feeling that he is looking for / expecting a move away to a more established prem side, and works be very surprised if he stayed. I think the search is probably on for a replacement.

And I’ll say again why I’ve said before; whether he is here or elsewhere, i don’t see him being successful. I’m very grateful for some exciting, attacking football. But his defensive record over the last two seasons suggests the prem is currently beyond his ability. I’m sure he’ll learn in time, but his first half season at least is unlikely to be a good one.
A good well reasoned post, Andy.
Yeah, I also heard that the MU players thought his training methods were way below them. Could it be that his training ethos works brilliantly at Championship and L1 level, but not with players of PL ability? I don't know..
Definitely food for thought there
Interesting point re Mckennas defensive coaching approach. It’s certainly one that bothers me ( as you all know lol, sorry!) Who we recruit over the summer, will indicate whether he has a grasp on the defensive issues to be sorted….I can’t believe a coach with his obvious attention to detail, has “ missed” this glaring weakness in the squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 9:10 am

Absolutely massive respect to Simon Jordan on talkSPORT, completely nailed it regarding McKenna and the situation.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 9:41 am

What did he say ( in a nutshell), he also putter Evans re his tenure at Town if I remember rightly.

Just think, as we ponder things on here, there’s probably a very important meeting going on right now between three men connected with ITFC. Fingers crossed for an outcome we all want.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Superb.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswi ... placement/

Think i’ll step away from the media for a week or so. Let Kieron & Co do their job at Portman Road in peace n quiet. Then hopefully everyone will eventually take their wind & pish reading glasses off and we all await the new season.
That link is hilarious though. :lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat May 25, 2024 11:13 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Superb.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswi ... placement/

Think i’ll step away from the media for a week or so. Let Kieron & Co do their job at Portman Road in peace n quiet. Then hopefully everyone will eventually take their wind & pish reading glasses off and we all await the new season.
That link is hilarious though. :lol:
The article is indeed tosh of the highest order.. written by a 24 year old who left Uni having done a creative arts degree in 2022! Creative writing more than creative art it seems... 🙄 now watch it happen! 😂😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 11:22 am

It's just pathetic, the silence from the club is embarrassing and amateurish.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 25, 2024 11:36 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 11:22 am
WTF are they expected to say and what difference would it make?! It’s not how it works.

It’ll only open the door for embarrassment if they make a statement when it’s not a clear outcome. It’s obvious not clear right now if he will stay or leave - they can hardly make a statement to say that!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:56 am

Well, being devils advocate here, I suppose fans would like the speculation addressed. Nothing more serious than that. The longer its not, the longer it seems there is foundation to it all.

I personally admire the club ignoring it all.
As said……. Man Utd worry me, (win or lose today) ….. things “COULD” happen today, (or Monday)

But…….. Faith that nothing happens and its business as usual with the club expecting fans to have more faith in the regime.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 12:04 pm

I think we’ll get an announcement after the bank holiday. Town will make him a new offer and he has to absorb that information and talk it over with his family….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 12:41 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 11:36 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 11:22 am
WTF are they expected to say and what difference would it make?! It’s not how it works.

It’ll only open the door for embarrassment if they make a statement when it’s not a clear outcome. It’s obvious not clear right now if he will stay or leave - they can hardly make a statement to say that!!
There's bloody loads they could say, how about the truth, now there's a novel idea, I know Football and the truth don't go hand in hand but it may just help.

"Kieran wants to pursue his options and we are doing all we can to keep him here"

" I am happy at ITFC and ignore all the speculation"

"We have offered KM a new contract which he is thinking over"

" No club has made a formal approach for Kieran"

There's dozens more things I could add which they could say, instead we get f*ck all.

Everyone getting excited about Schwartz flying over and lo and behold I'm hearing it was a visit planned some time ago. I completely get they can't say some things but Jesus say something!

Three bloody weeks on from promotion and all the euphoria that goes with it and we are now suffering this utter sh*te, the things McKenna said implied nothing but moving forward with the project here and how much he loves it and is looking Forward to the challenge, if that is the case there is absolutely no sensible reason why the club have not said anything at all, it can only mean one thing which begs the question wtf has changed so suddenly.

Only a few days ago Ashton was asked, " is Kieran leading the club next season" to which he replied "well if he isn't he hasn't told me" And here was me thinking they were mega close.

I mean KM is instrumental in the planning of the new training ground layout and its facilities etc, not to mention his input into things behind the scenes at Portman Road, I heard him myself say to Sone Aluko when he retired that "I hope we will see you around the club in some capacity or another next season "

Is McKenna so bloody stupid and naive that he didn't forsee himself being linked with certain jobs ? I don't believe it. Something just makes no sense but if he was staying Cannot for the life of me understand the total silence.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:04 pm
I think we’ll get an announcement after the bank holiday. Town will make him a new offer and he has to absorb that information and talk it over with his family….
Or……. Again……. All of that may also be BS.

Maybe it was all discussed weeks ago when Town secured promotion. Mashton & owners identify that the existing contract isn’t good enough for an EPL boss and address it (because they got there quicker than anticipated) ——>> and they sorted Kieron out knowing (or anticipating) interest from other EPL clubs.
I personally feel there could be a Man Utd issue, but have more faith in Kieron to possibly reject that at this stage.

That Bellevue dude, and others like him, saying he’s had an interview with Brighton ——> THOSE are the ones that you need to brandish with the “Are you a budgie?” stick! They’re rocking the boat and causing unrest.
Mike is even trying to steady his ship……. And the new USATB guy wants Kieron out FFS!

Its all very unsettling tactics created by people without Ipswich Towns interest at heart. Yes, the silence is deafening but the organisation will be getting “a feel” for the fanbase throughout this as well. A sort of “how much onboard are you all?”

Obviously if Kieron goes to Brighton at the end of all this, then its me who’s full of BS but its not like you didn’t know that already, so 🤷‍♂️, no harm done. …… and i’d probably apologise to that Norwich c*nt, Bellevue.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 1:05 pm

lol thanks for that. It actually made me laugh. But then you normally do anyway! :mrgreen:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 1:08 pm

Knowing our luck McKenna will p*ss off to Hibs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Knowing our luck McKenna will p*ss off to Hibs
“KIERONS AT THE WHEEEEEEE AWL!!!”

You’ll be chanting that, Mike……. Not me! :lol:

And NEVER will be by the way. Kieron is now a superstar.
A months wages, and kieron could purchase Hibs!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 1:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:41 pm
"Kieran wants to pursue his options and we are doing all we can to keep him here"

I agree it would be nice Mike, but you know why they're quiet and you know it would be soon ignored and forgotten once the next article is written.

McKenna thanking Alex Ferguson the other night was 100% an admission that he would be interested in the United job, that's the most out of character, emotion led and unprofessional thing I've ever seen from him.

Ashton said at the start of all this that the club would try their hardest to keep Kieran. That also says many thing... Ashton is not 100% he's set on staying and not 100% that he can entice him to stay. Ashton likes to get ahead of things before they happen, so the sh*t doesn't fire back at him and the club when it does. There no point the club repeating that statement, as we've already ignored and long forgotten the last time it was mentioned, it means next to nothing.

Beyond that, the situation is private for all parties, it's a negotiation. Even if Ashton and McKenna were 99% sure he way staying or going, they can't say anything because it's not 100%. We will only know once he's accepted a contract somewhere.

If he does stay, I think imperative that he admits he was interested in other roles and had to process that before excepting a new contract here, I think that's fair enough. I'd hate him to deny things and have all trust in him broken.

My only opinion is that it's a 9 times out of 10 that the United job would be a disaster for him, us and them at this point in time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:39 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:41 pm

I agree it would be nice Mike, but you know why they're quiet and you know it would be soon ignored and forgotten once the next article is written.

McKenna thanking Alex Ferguson the other night was 100% an admission that he would be interested in the United job, that's the most out of character, emotion led and unprofessional thing I've ever seen from him.

Ashton said at the start of all this that the club would try their hardest to keep Kieran. That also says many thing... Ashton is not 100% he's set on staying and not 100% that he can entice him to stay. Ashton likes to get ahead of things before they happen, so the sh*t doesn't fire back at him and the club when it does. There no point the club repeating that statement, as we've already ignored and long forgotten the last time it was mentioned, it means next to nothing.

Beyond that, the situation is private for all parties, it's a negotiation. Even if Ashton and McKenna were 99% sure he way staying or going, they can't say anything because it's not 100%. We will only know once he's accepted a contract somewhere.

If he does stay, I think imperative that he admits he was interested in other roles and had to process that before excepting a new contract here, I think that's fair enough. I'd hate him to deny things and have all trust in him broken.

My only opinion is that it's a 9 times out of 10 that the United job would be a disaster for him, us and them at this point in time.
That part in bold has the pot strirrers winning! Hes onto a loser scenario, because nothing will EVER be proved. It’ll all be one word against the other. 🤷‍♂️ What sad fkn scenario this is.

Are you saying, Ricco……. If kieron says, (when asked, as he will be asked) ….. “I was approached but didn’t consider any move” ——>> people will lose trust?
Genuinely asking.

Because…….. 🤷‍♂️….. How will anyone know for absolute sure in amongst all the BS?

“No, wasn’t interested.”
“DENIER!!!! YOU FKN LYING DENIER!”
:lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 2:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:48 pm
“No, wasn’t interested.”
You're right, it's an unfortunate posistion for him to be in if that happens, and not all of his doing, but what I'm saying Marko, is that if he was 100% set on staying, they would have banged out a new contract by now to put things to bed before relationships became strained. The fact they haven't says he wanted to at least see and consider his options, and if he claims otherwise, then I think that would be a very big mistake.

It's some mega clubs showing interest, he is 100% entitled to be interested, that's forgivable/understable, but even nice little white lies are not. The harshest truth is better than the sweetest lie, or something like that. It's even more important he is honest with the squad in a situation like that, because at the moment it could look a little like "I don't have complete belief in your ability to have a successful season and im tempted to jump ship."

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat May 25, 2024 2:16 pm

Well getting relegated from the Premier league after one Season has not done Vincent Kompany much harm he is about to take the Bayern Munich job, take note McKenna.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 25, 2024 2:29 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:01 pm
marko69 wrote:
“No, wasn’t interested.”
You're right, it's an unfortunate posistion for him to be in if that happens, and not all of his doing, but what I'm saying Marko, is that if he was 100% set on staying, they would have banged out a new contract by now to put things to bed before relationships became strained. The fact they haven't says he wanted to at least see and consider his options, and if he claims otherwise, then I think that would be a very big mistake.

It's some mega clubs showing interest, he is 100% entitled to be interested, that's forgivable/understable, but even nice little white lies are not. The harshest truth is better than the sweetest lie, or something like that. It's even more important he is honest with the squad in a situation like that, because at the moment it could look a little like "I don't have complete belief in your ability to have a successful season and im tempted to jump ship."
Why does he need to say anything at all? It's pretty obvious to everybody that whilst he may not have spoken (yet) to any other club himself, his agents certainly have. It's also obvious he's taking his time and weighing up his options (should any such options actually materialise).

What he is thinking is his business and his business alone - I don't see why he should be expected to make any statement at all on what his thought processes were, whatever the outcome.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 2:33 pm

Ricco, the thing I disagree with in your post is the bit about being entitled to talk to big clubs should they show interest.

To take a club up and then potentially quit without leading them for a single game is unheard of, bizarre and downright insulting, in my opinion of course. Simon Jordan pretty much implied the same and said all this talk of " it was too big a temptation to turn down" is utter rubbish, "of course he can turn it down" He went on to say he needs to remember who gave him the chance to get to the Premier League and I agree with that 200%.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 2:36 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:01 pm
marko69 wrote:
“No, wasn’t interested.”

Well ---->> he's onto a losing scenario before a pre-season ball is even kicked......., because if that harshest truth IS that he has spoken to others, then sections of fans have already voiced that they've lost trust. Fecking dismal situation after such a glorious end to the season.

I suppose it is all just a HUGE welcome to the EPL after a 23 year absence.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 3:00 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:29 pm
What he is thinking is his business and his business alone - I don't see why he should be expected to make any statement at all on what his thought processes were, whatever the outcome.
He doesn't have to do anything, but there has been damage done as bluemike and marko point to, it would be unwise not to try and repair as much as reasonably possible. I don't think he needs to release a statement, but to flat our deny would be a mistake, he can word it cleverly in-between those extremes, but there is already some explaining to do.
Last edited by Ricco on Sat May 25, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:33 pm
Ricco, the thing I disagree with in your post is the bit about being entitled to talk to big clubs should they show interest.

To take a club up and then potentially quit without leading them for a single game is unheard of, bizarre and downright insulting, in my opinion of course. Simon Jordan pretty much implied the same and said all this talk of " it was too big a temptation to turn down" is utter rubbish, "of course he can turn it down" He went on to say he needs to remember who gave him the chance to get to the Premier League and I agree with that 200%.
Can't argue with that Mike, I don't see it quite as hard-lined as that, but it's perfectly understandable if a large chunk of supports think that way.
marko69 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 2:36 pm
I suppose it is all just a HUGE welcome to the EPL after a 23 year absence.
It does feel every day like the club is getting harmed more, and at some point he will make his posistion untenable with some elements of the club. It's a ridiculous situation, because there's potential none of the clubs will even want him when all is said and done, and he may not even be that interested or have done anything 'wrong' anyway.
Last edited by Ricco on Sat May 25, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 3:04 pm

Oops... post by mistake

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:23 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm
......because there's potential none of the clubs will even want him when all is said and done, and he may not even be that interested or have done anything 'wrong' anyway.
Well ..... :lol: ....., thats been my point all along.

I blame BelleVue & tw@ts like him / her/ apple/ pear/ non bananary.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Who is BelleVue?