McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2024 1:01 pm

Got to be honest, opened the thread, Rolled the eyes at all this and thought, “Fk this sh*t until it pans out that fk all was ever going to happen. Boring the tits of me now.” 🥱

But Hallam…….. do post pics of the boobs crossed. Intrigued! 🤔

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 26, 2024 1:02 pm

A bit of devil's advocate...

Suppose you have a job you love and are commited to, but there's a possibility your dream job may be becoming available, and there's a good chance you may never be in posistion to try for it again in future... what would you feel/do?

That's where I believe McKenna may be. United are his team. I don't think it's mutually exclusive for him to be committed and enjoying life at Town, but also having his head turned by the possibility of becoming manager at arguably the biggest club in the world.

We all know United is a mess at the moment, but it's still Man United, and some manager will turn around that team at some point, though that may be under new owners. There are 3 or 4 (admittedly that's not many) young and exciting players, with good heads on their shoulders there, that he may be able to use a nucleus for a new dawn. I personally think it's a long shot to control that petulant, arrogant, whiny, over-paid, over-scrutanised bunch of primadonnas without any top flight experience, but even if he thinks he has a 1 in 5 chance at limited success, that might still be good enough to make it attractive.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun May 26, 2024 1:07 pm

I am not completely convinced that man utd will even be looking for a new manger after yesterday.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 1:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:02 pm

Suppose you have a job you love and are commited to, but there's a possibility your dream job may be becoming available, and there's a good chance you may never be in posistion to try for it again in future... what would you feel/do?

That's where I believe McKenna may be. United are his team. I don't think it's mutually exclusive for him to be committed and enjoying life at Town, but also having his head turned by the possibility of becoming manager at arguably the biggest club in the world.

We all know United is a mess at the moment, but it's still Man United, and some manager will turn around that team at some point, though that may be under new owners. There are 3 or 4 (admittedly that's not many) young and exciting players, with good heads on their shoulders there, that he may be able to use a nucleus for a new dawn. I personally think it's a long shot to control that petulant, arrogant, whiny, over-paid, over-scrutanised bunch of primadonnas without any top flight experience, but even if he thinks he has a 1 in 5 chance at limited success, that might still be good enough to make it attractive.
Exactly this - after all he grew up a UTD fan too!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 26, 2024 1:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:28 pm
I think the fact he most likely is holding out for something better is the biggest issue for most people, certainly with me, as Wilf says, it's that possible lack of 100% commitment to the cause that gives you a sense of let down, its made worse by his very own comments about the project etc. Something has definitely changed because he knew full well he would be sought after so its not come as a surprise, for me it can only be the lure of the club closest to his heart, Manchester United and that, again in my opinion, would be a monumental error on his part given how toxic that dressing room is reported to be.
On the other hand, Mike, it's only media speculation that's making people think he's holding out for something better.
It might not be the case at all. He's contracted to us until 2017, so he could just as easily be thinking that he does not need to and should not have to make a statement about speculation by others when there are absolutely no concrete facts to back that speculation up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 1:36 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:28 pm
I think the fact he most likely is holding out for something better is the biggest issue for most people, certainly with me, as Wilf says, it's that possible lack of 100% commitment to the cause that gives you a sense of let down, its made worse by his very own comments about the project etc. Something has definitely changed because he knew full well he would be sought after so its not come as a surprise, for me it can only be the lure of the club closest to his heart, Manchester United and that, again in my opinion, would be a monumental error on his part given how toxic that dressing room is reported to be.
On the other hand, Mike, it's only media speculation that's making people think he's holding out for something better.
It might not be the case at all. He's contracted to us until 2017, so he could just as easily be thinking that he does not need to and should not have to make a statement about speculation by others when there are absolutely no concrete facts to back that speculation up.
That would be the ideal outcome for me and I would feel a tad sorry for him if it comes to pass.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 26, 2024 2:07 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:02 pm

I think if Utd have any sense they’ll stick with the more experienced ETH for the next 2-3 seasons. Let McKenna cut his teeth on the PL with a very good club in Town, then make an approach after that. It’s a win win for all concerned imho.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 26, 2024 2:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:01 pm
Got to be honest, opened the thread, Rolled the eyes at all this and thought, “Fk this sh*t until it pans out that fk all was ever going to happen. Boring the tits of me now.” 🥱

But Hallam…….. do post pics of the boobs crossed. Intrigued! 🤔
Not a pretty sight marko, trust me :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 3:32 pm

Reports in Germany have suggested Thomas Tuchel rejected the chance to stay on as Bayern Munich manager as he knows he already has the Manchester United job in his back pocket (Mail on Sunday).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 26, 2024 3:43 pm

🤞

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 26, 2024 4:26 pm

It just makes so much sense, he's such an experienced and proven manager, and now they've won the FA cup, surely they're even less likely to take a big risk?

It's just the rumours and bookies are having none of it.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 pm

Just read a BBC report that McKenna will be going to Chelsea. How much do they know or are they upping readership with this?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2024 5:30 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 pm
Just read a BBC report that McKenna will be going to Chelsea. How much do they know or are they upping readership with this?
Is this all in the BBC section named "Gossip" ? That is actually the title, not taking the pi$$.

These:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 22wvqp7qwo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... vv20rnw75o

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 5:34 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
de Zerbi seems 1/2 on with the bookies though?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 26, 2024 5:38 pm

With a bit of luck this will soon all be over as each of these clubs will want their new man in place in early June to prepare for next season. I suspect that McKenna whilst linked to every vacant job by our hysterical media hasn’t actually been interviewed for any of the current vacant jobs although he may well have been short listed on the back of his sensational results at ITFC.

Whilst some on here have suggested they don’t really want him here anymore simply because he didn’t make a statement about his future, personally I think this is ridiculous given how exceptional he’s been since joining us.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 26, 2024 5:39 pm

shabba wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 5:34 pm
Ohiotractorboy wrote:
de Zerbi seems 1/2 on with the bookies though?
If they have the choice between McKenna or De Zerbi there’s only one outcome.

I think their experience with Graham Potter will also pug them off taking another potentially costly risk.

To be honest I think Chelsea is the least of our worries. Man United I think he would definitely go to if offered and I wouldn’t blame him for that, in his position I would do exactly the same. Bizarrely if there is a risk of losing him the most realistic would be to Brighton which could prove to be a good stepping stone to his next job.

Only time will tell, but hopefully all three jobs will get filled by other more experienced managers. I certainly hope so as I really want him to stay.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 26, 2024 7:06 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ngNewsSerp

Hopefully this works, I’m on my phone. Set me to a mild panic reading it. It doesn’t say gossip, but we may have stories packaged a bit differently over here

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 26, 2024 7:12 pm

Link doesn't work, which is probably just as well going by your comment!

At the end of the day he is currently 1/1 for Man U job, 3/1 for Brighton job and 8/1 for Chelsea job. Those markets are open, and if anyone claims to have concrete information on anything, then ask if they've bet their life savings on it, because if they haven't, then they are either lying or flat out stupid.

While the markets are open and odds aren't 1/100, then no deal is close to being done, it's a simple as that.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun May 26, 2024 7:35 pm

Mckenna is clever enough. He will want the players to buy in to his coaching but unless he has had experience be it in Premier league or other foreign top league experience..a lot won't buy in to it.and that's where his downfall could be and definitely won't be taken on by another top half club at the very least...if he gives another two years with us and play a good brand of football and don't get battered and stay up..well at least the primadonnas may give him more respect And have a clearer vision what he's trying to do...so il go with Mckenna staying with us and ten hag staying

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 26, 2024 7:58 pm

I don’t buy all this McKenna hasnt got experience
In the PL. He was assistant to Ole GS for several seasons , AND in the Champions League. If people think he didn’t has some input to the running of the team, tactics etc then they’re mistaken . Of course he has experience!

verulam

Post by verulam » Sun May 26, 2024 8:14 pm

Interesting to note that a number of highly regarded journalists have advised against KM making a move at this time. David Walsh in the Sunday Times saying: "McKenna to United risks being too much too soon".

I would also also add that our two most successful managers to date chose to stick with Town for a number of years before eventually taking up the national team management. I recall that Bobby Robson received several approaches including Man Utd but turned them all down. He proved that it is possible to be manager of Ipswich AND win trophies: EUFA Cup, FA Cup - oh, and the lesser known Texaco Cup!

Alf Ramsey: appointed 1955. Left for England 8 years later.

Bobby Robson: Appointed 1969. Left for England 13 years later.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 8:17 pm

Massively different era now. Managers stayed much longer. Less transfers, I mean I think Bobby only signed 13 players in the whole time he was at town!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm

shabba wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:17 pm
Massively different era now. Managers stayed much longer. Less transfers, I mean I think Bobby only signed 13 absolute effin superstars in the whole time he was at town!
Fixed that for you, Shabba

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 26, 2024 8:43 pm

If you can’t read the article, it is by Nick Mashiter titled, “McKenna keen on move from Ipswich.”

Don’t know anything about the dude, I hope he is a gossip monger

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:45 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:43 pm
If you can’t read the article, it is by Nick Mashiter titled, “McKenna keen on move from Ipswich.”

Don’t know anything about the dude, I hope he is a gossip monger
Check out this link, Ohio. If you look along the black bar of headings......., there is a gossip section.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 26, 2024 9:10 pm

Yeah, but no “gossip” appeared.

All I know is, he could be mediocre as hell next year and we will continue the plans for the McKenna high rise and soda shop next to Portman Road while a bigger club’s fan base might not be so understanding.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 9:15 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 9:10 pm
Yeah, but no “gossip” appeared.

All I know is, he could be mediocre as hell next year and we will continue the plans for the McKenna high rise and soda shop next to Portman Road while a bigger club’s fan base might not be so understanding.
Mediocre as hell = we go down without a fight.

IMO if we finsihed 17th it would mean he has done another brilliant job, as big as this seasons achivement.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 pm

That’s my point.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Sun May 26, 2024 9:55 pm

Was browsing the Man Utd forums and the majority of fans want TH to stay another season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 26, 2024 10:00 pm

You only have to look at Sheffield United, Burnley & Luton last season to realise that staying up next year would be a bigger achievement than getting promotion from the Championship.

With McKenna I think we stand a chance, without him I’d be less confident.