Board index » ITFC Area... » ITFC, Championship & General Football Chat

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm
  


Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 431
This is from the EADT webchat, and response is from Stuart Watson;

From what I gather, many behind the scenes at ITFC could see that raising ST prices would be a major PR own goal. Advice was given to Marcus, various different strategies were put forwards, but he had the final say. As you say, for someone who has made their money through ticketing, it seems very short-sighted. Football is not like selling tickets for music concerts or World Cups. You can't take the loyalty of your fanbase for granted


This is the man trusted to run our great club, he clearly has very little respect for us or anyone at this club, even if they have more of an idea of what they are talking about. My question is what is he really doing here, I am really questioning now whether he does have ITFC at heart, and is he now getting to the point where he just doesn't care anymore. As was also mentioned if everyone renewed the recent rise in price would raise about 150-200k in revenue, if we lost 2,000 ticket holders because of this then we will lose nearer £1m. Someone please explain to me how someone so experienced in business cannot work out these basic sums, he must know how many current ST haven't been coming, is he really that arrogant he believes all these people will renew next time round. Wake up Marcus and take your head out of your arse.

Once we get this season out the way and hopefully make sure we are safe, I think there should be some kind of protest against ME himself, he is already aware of how upset fans are but at the end of the day he only cares about himself, if it was seen all over the country then it doesn't exactly give a positive view of the ME brand, hit him where it hurts. I know some will argue that he puts in about £6m a year, he is not doing that because he cares about us, he is doing that to protect his own interests


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm
  


Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Posts: 23045
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.
I'm convinced Evans is now attempting to run the Club down. I can't answer why, but it beggers belief what he has done ( or more accurately , not done ), during MM's tenure.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm
  

User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 3:48 pm
Posts: 543
It just don't make any sense at all!
He jars off the over 60's because there is only 800 of us but how many do we bring with us?
If i don't go neither will my grandson so there will be two tkt's lost,how many more are in the same boat?


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 am
  

User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Posts: 1951
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe
Although we all love Ipswich Town Football Club through and through, Allah similar to the sager with Leyton Orient FC and its 4000 die hard supporters, as with the O's we also have an owner who has taken over a wonderful successful football club, and run it down with lack of investment, just asset striping, and little or no investment, just selling off the cream of our players with no replacements only loans, although we are not like them poor sods at Orient who face a winding up order through their Italian owner not paying a £250'000 Tax bill, we are however slowly heading in the same direction where we started many years ago in the 3rd div South, our owner just uses the club as a business tax loss, and has a manager to run the 1st team on bare bone funding, and playing sh*t football, and racking up the ST prices, we can only hope that once ME has got fed up with his play thing, he will try and sell us off to another investment business person, who we hope knows how to run a football club correctly, but I cant see this happening for the foreseeable future, the only hope might come from more fans not attending home games so the gates go down to around 5000, then the penny might drop when he has to fork out more than his so called £6 million each season, so in my eyes that's the only answer rebel by not renewing ST's and those that do attend home matches display banners with our messages of discontent with the running of our club, but lets see what happens over the next 8 matches, and come the end of the season hopefully we are still a championship club, please do not fall for Milnes blagging and lies and 5 point plan to know where, lets just see some hard proper investment in the squad during the summer, and we might just come back and support in the numbers that use to be at home matches, 25'000 plus FACT


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 am
  

User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Posts: 13128
Location: Somewhere between here and there.
Bear with me while I remove this breathing apparatus...... that was tough, Ash! :D

Leyton Orient successful? When?

Can't see the ITFC gate dropping to 5K while in the Championship. It'll always be 10K+. Even if the club are relegated, it'll still be 10K plus. In fact, if the club are relegated and are successfully in and around the top 4 all season, 25-28K will pack into PR, (providing Mevans lowers the costs to League One prices) That's just how it is.
Mid table or lower in League One?; 5K attendances could be a reality, but I do seriously doubt it.

The Cabbage & Ribs packed in 15K against Dumbarton at the weekend, almost 17K v Dunfermline a few weeks ago. BUT if promoted, and are consistently mid table, it'll be back to the 10K attendances V The Jags! That's the way of the "fan".


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 am
  


Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 431
marko69 wrote:
Bear with me while I remove this breathing apparatus...... that was tough, Ash! :D

Leyton Orient successful? When?

Can't see the ITFC gate dropping to 5K while in the Championship. It'll always be 10K+. Even if the club are relegated, it'll still be 10K plus. In fact, if the club are relegated and are successfully in and around the top 4 all season, 25-28K will pack into PR, (providing Mevans lowers the costs to League One prices) That's just how it is.
Mid table or lower in League One?; 5K attendances could be a reality, but I do seriously doubt it.

The Cabbage & Ribs packed in 15K against Dumbarton at the weekend, almost 17K v Dunfermline a few weeks ago. BUT if promoted, and are consistently mid table, it'll be back to the 10K attendances V The Jags! That's the way of the "fan".



Id probably agree with you regarding the attendances. However im just not sure anymore. Its been said if we were to get relegated this season our pricing would remain the same as it is now, I guess they are just hedging their bets that we wont get relegated this season. Its no so long ago if we got less than 20k in for a game it was though of as a huge shock, well we have had 14k this season in one game (probably less than that in reality). Next season will probably drop a couple of thousand.

Certainly the gates are moving in the wrong direction, if we went to league 1 and did well playing some nice stuff I can see us getting a few thousand back, but that's a big if. I think we will just about stay up this season but I think we are in big danger of going down next season unless some huge changes are made.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 am
  


Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am
Posts: 611
charlton837 wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Bear with me while I remove this breathing apparatus...... that was tough, Ash! :D

Leyton Orient successful? When?

Can't see the ITFC gate dropping to 5K while in the Championship. It'll always be 10K+. Even if the club are relegated, it'll still be 10K plus. In fact, if the club are relegated and are successfully in and around the top 4 all season, 25-28K will pack into PR, (providing Mevans lowers the costs to League One prices) That's just how it is.
Mid table or lower in League One?; 5K attendances could be a reality, but I do seriously doubt it.

The Cabbage & Ribs packed in 15K against Dumbarton at the weekend, almost 17K v Dunfermline a few weeks ago. BUT if promoted, and are consistently mid table, it'll be back to the 10K attendances V The Jags! That's the way of the "fan".



Id probably agree with you regarding the attendances. However im just not sure anymore. Its been said if we were to get relegated this season our pricing would remain the same as it is now, I guess they are just hedging their bets that we wont get relegated this season. Its no so long ago if we got less than 20k in for a game it was though of as a huge shock, well we have had 14k this season in one game (probably less than that in reality). Next season will probably drop a couple of thousand.

Certainly the gates are moving in the wrong direction, if we went to league 1 and did well playing some nice stuff I can see us getting a few thousand back, but that's a big if. I think we will just about stay up this season but I think we are in big danger of going down next season unless some huge changes are made.


I think you raise a reasonable point - if we survive and have another season of dour McCarthy football in the Championship then would we get more through the turnstiles than if we have a new manager who could play decent football with a youthful side in League 1? I don't think getting relegated would be the worse thing if we deal with it correctly (once again - over to ME ) than having another season of slow terminal decline. Having said that - I want us to survive and MM to leave during the summer.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:08 pm
  

User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Posts: 13128
Location: Somewhere between here and there.
Should've added in my post that I've always thought relegation to League One would be disastrous for ITFC. Did say something about the possibility of being in and around the top 4, but would fear a Coventry City scenario, and a slip further away from potential financial security.

What can Ipswich Town offer to entice a wealthy businessman or a consortium of wealthy businessmen? Really hate to say it, but the glory days are so far in the past that it really is a distant memory. The club WAS great once, but is it still regarded as "great" by non supporting potential businessmen? Part of me senses an arrogance about Mevans with him possibly thinking, "Who else they going to get? Fk them, it's my way or no fking way!" That'd be very sad.

No one gives a fk about the 78 Cup or the 81 UEFA. Forget the past. So it does beg the question; what can a multi millionaire see as advantages of taking over ITFC?
And has location got something to do with it? Millionaires drawn to the Midlands? So'f*ck might as well be in Holland for some people.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 pm
  

User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:19 pm
Posts: 2352
Location: Wherever I rest my head
marko69 wrote:
Should've added in my post that I've always thought relegation to League One would be disastrous for ITFC. Did say something about the possibility of being in and around the top 4, but would fear a Coventry City scenario, and a slip further away from potential financial security.

What can Ipswich Town offer to entice a wealthy businessman or a consortium of wealthy businessmen? Really hate to say it, but the glory days are so far in the past that it really is a distant memory. The club WAS great once, but is it still regarded as "great" by non supporting potential businessmen? Part of me senses an arrogance about Mevans with him possibly thinking, "Who else they going to get? Fk them, it's my way or no fking way!" That'd be very sad.

No one gives a fk about the 78 Cup or the 81 UEFA. Forget the past. So it does beg the question; what can a multi millionaire see as advantages of taking over ITFC?
And has location got something to do with it? Millionaires drawn to the Midlands? So'f*ck might as well be in Holland for some people.


I think I may be right in saying we the club still leases the ground from IBC. so there is no asset there that could entice a possible buyer.

You are quite right about forgetting the past, it holds no sway on what may happen in the future.

All in all not a very bright outlook, even if relegation is avoided. We'll just fall lower more quickly next season.

Evans has a lot to answer for.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 pm
  

User avatar

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 3:48 pm
Posts: 543
charlton837 wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Bear with me while I remove this breathing apparatus...... that was tough, Ash! :D

Leyton Orient successful? When?

Can't see the ITFC gate dropping to 5K while in the Championship. It'll always be 10K+. Even if the club are relegated, it'll still be 10K plus. In fact, if the club are relegated and are successfully in and around the top 4 all season, 25-28K will pack into PR, (providing Mevans lowers the costs to League One prices) That's just how it is.
Mid table or lower in League One?; 5K attendances could be a reality, but I do seriously doubt it.

The Cabbage & Ribs packed in 15K against Dumbarton at the weekend, almost 17K v Dunfermline a few weeks ago. BUT if promoted, and are consistently mid table, it'll be back to the 10K attendances V The Jags! That's the way of the "fan".



Id probably agree with you regarding the attendances. However im just not sure anymore. Its been said if we were to get relegated this season our pricing would remain the same as it is now, I guess they are just hedging their bets that we wont get relegated this season. Its no so long ago if we got less than 20k in for a game it was though of as a huge shock, well we have had 14k this season in one game (probably less than that in reality). Next season will probably drop a couple of thousand.

Certainly the gates are moving in the wrong direction, if we went to league 1 and did well playing some nice stuff I can see us getting a few thousand back, but that's a big if. I think we will just about stay up this season but I think we are in big danger of going down next season unless some huge changes are made.

Christ we are 5th highest prices in the Championship!No chance of fans paying that in league 1.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: All we need to know about Marcus Evans
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:07 pm
  

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Posts: 4084
Location: Dubai, UAE
Actually that's an interesting question about what can we offer.

Whilst I can't answer the question directly I think the same question can be asked about Hull or West Brom or Crystal Palace or Burnley or Leicester even.

Fact is that as brands they don't have much going for them except that they are in the Premier League and this alone is attractive and presumably very profitable.

Maybe MEvans should throw his financial weight behind building the ITFC brand on League of Legends eSports. At least there we start as a team with a brand who have been national champions, FA Cup winners & a European cup winner. Not many teams who can claim even one of those. That's the future of sports globally in my view.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group