Ipswich vs Brentford Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The perfect start continues?

Ipswich Win
79%
Brentford Win
7%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich vs Brentford Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

ImageIpswich Town v BrentfordImage

Saturday 19th August 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

So our impressive start to the new season continued with victory in a Seven goal thriller at Millwall on Tuesday night, it really was an incredible night and definitely entertaining, something Mick promised us after last seasons woes. While we can all revel in our latest success we also have to be very aware that there is much to work on defensively, we just cannot continue to have to score Four times to win a game, as exciting as it might be we will get stung more often than not by conceding Three goals. While some of the first half defending may have been akin to the keystone kops our attacking play was first class in spells, the confidence of Joe Garner to smack a 25 yard strike just a couple of minutes after going behind, the determination of Grant Ward to get forward and whip that killer cross in, the alertness of Martyn Waghorn to get across the defender to give us the lead, Didsy refusing to be second best to a through ball and finding a way to get the ball over for waghorn to once again be in the right place at the right time, just a few examples of how impressive we were when going forward, we really did cause them problems at the back and on that form will be a handfull for any Championship defence. As Shed said the other day, watching the move which led to our second goal was a joy to watch and shows we can play Football when we want to, long may it continue. I suppose it was ironic that the winner would come from one of our much maligned defenders, despite having faced a barrage of balls into the box for much of the second half young Jordan Spence still had enough in the locker to rise above everyone else to power home his header and that is the thing with this team, they never know when they are beaten, to see every one of the outfield players run to celebrate with Jordan gives me goosebumps, I love a team with strong unity and good team spirit and we seem to have this in abundance, Iorfa is not our player and yet he was celebrating as much if not more than anyone.

One of the things that puzzles me in Football is just how much people pay attention to stats, most of them are very misleading and mean nothing. I didn't hear the radio phone in after the Millwall game but have been told about it and read a few things, one particular moron was bemoaning how crap we were at defending or something and deserved to be beaten, I take it that a team that actually conceded Four (more than us I might add) weren't crap and did deserve to win ? There also concerns that because we only have 4 shots compared to the oppositions 20+ we must be inferior, well let me tell you loads of those so called attempts at goal are barely worthy of the name, take out the ones that hit the top of the stand, the corner flag or the car park and there isn't an awful lot of difference between the sides, our success rate from shots to goals is first class and the best in the league, that is something to be proud of not bemoan. Leicester City became champions with something like 38% possession so that is another stat that means naff all, possession stats do not show what areas of the pitch you have that possession in, get Bart to hold the ball for 90 minutes and it would show 100%, thats how meaningless it is. There is one stat and only one stat that matters and we have come out on top in all Four games !!!

This Saturday sees us back on home soil after Three away trips and I think it is safe to say that this will be our hardest game to date. Brentford look to have assembled a very good squad and so far they appear to be a bit like us, free flowing going forward with goals aplenty in them but can't defend for toffees, if this trend continues we could well be in for another goal fest come 3pm. They currently have a solitary point from their opening Three league games when in truth they were worthy of much more, they did however secure victory in the Carabao Cup courtesy of a 1-3 victory at Wimbledon, to date they have leaked an average of Two goals a game, doesn't make our One per game look too bad does it ! One player in the Bees ranks I really like is Jota and we will have to very aware of his strong runs at our defence, they also appear to have a strong duo up front with new signing Ollie Watkins and Lasse Vibe forming a decent spearhead at this level so we could be in for another testing time at the back. Mick has made it clear that he is on the lookout for another Centre Back and to be honest it can't come quickly enough, some have mentioned the decision not to offer Steven Taylor a contract and while it would be handy now hindsight is a wondeful thing, I don't recall too many saying at the time we should have kept him, quite the opposite actually.

To win our first Four League games would be a fantastic achievement and it is not beyond us by any means, I do feel this is going to be tough though, the crowd will no doubt be up for this with their new found belief, how good it was to hear the 1800+ singing "Super Mick Mccarthy" at Millwall Tuesday, so if we can lift the boys like that then why cant we collect another Three points. I hope the crowd stands up in numbers too, I think the boys have earned that so for all those waivering this season get yourselves down to Portman Road and be part of this revival of our club. COYB'S.

The Opposition - Brentford

Founded on 10 October 1889, at the Oxford and Cambridge Hotel in Brentford where a meeting was held, between the members of the Brentford Rowing Club, to decide between association football or rugby union, to serve as a winter pursuit for the rowing club and its members. As a result of a vote, by 8 votes to 5, taken 6 days later, association football was successful as the sport to partake in.

The football club started out playing its home matches at the Clifden House Ground in Brentford, from November 1889 to March 1892.

In October 1892, Benn's Field in Little Ealing, was the club's new home. The football club decided to move nearer to Brentford and in December 1894 they moved to Shotter's and stayed there until April 1898. Due to high rent increases, the club were once again forced to move on, so in September 1898 the club moved to the Cross Roads Ground, in Little Ealing and this was used until April 1900.

As the club grew, Boston Park Cricket Ground, in York Road, Brentford was then used from September 1900 to April 1904. Finally, in January 1904, the club agreed a 21-year lease on an orchard. The clearance of the orchard, over 200 trees, and the levelling of the land took several months. Griffin Park, as it became known was now ready for use as a football ground after banking was raised along three sides of the ground and an enclosure, moved from their previous ground, was erected.

In 1920, it was a founder member of the Third Division South. During the late 1920s and 1930s, the club began to make real progress. In the 1929–30 season, the side won all 21 of its home matches in the Third Division South, but still missed out on promotion. They are the last of six teams in English football to amass a perfect home record, and the only one to do so over a season of 42 matches or more. After several more near-misses, promotion to the Second Division was finally achieved in 1932–33.

Two years later, Brentford reached the First Division and finished 5th in its debut season which is still the club's highest ever league.

The club was relegated in the first season after the War, and a downward spiral set in, which culminated in relegation to the Third Division in 1953–54 and the Fourth Division in 1961–62. In the process Brentford became the first team to play the other ninety-one clubs in league football.

The survival of Brentford FC was threatened by a projected takeover by Queens Park Rangers in the late 1960s, a bid that was only narrowly averted with an emergency loan of £104,000.

The club continued to yo-yo between the third and fourth divisions during the next three decades. The club won promotion in 1962–63, 1971–72 and 1977–78 but only on the final occasion was it able to consolidate its place in English football's third tier.

After a 45-year absence, Brentford were promoted back to the Second Division (renamed the First Division with the advent of the Premier League in 1992) in the 1991–92 season as Third Division champions, though they were relegated again the following year.

There followed several seasons of the club narrowly missing out on promotionvia the play-offs.

The club were then relegated to the Third Division (by then the bottom division of the Football League) the following year. Brentford won promotion as champions again in 1998–99.

Former BBC Director-General and Bees fan Greg Dyke was announced as chairman of Brentford on 20 January 2006 as part of the takeover by Bees United, the Brentford Supporters Trust.

Brentford were relegated to Football League Two in April 2007.

On 25 April 2009 Brentford sealed the League Two championship under Management of former player Andy Scott.
Scott's excellent first calendar year in charge was recognised with an award, the BBC London 'Manager of the Year 2008'. Scott was also awarded the League Two Manager of the Month award for April/May 2009.

At the end of the 2011/12 season, in which the Club finished 9th in League One missing out on the play-offs by 6 points, the club's supporters voted to sell the entire club's shareholding to supporter-investor Matthew Benham.

The 2012–13 season saw Brentford go on an FA Cup run, taking holders Chelsea to a fourth round replay, and mount a promotion challenge, missing out on automatic promotion on the final day of the season before losing the playoff final to Yeovil Town.

On the 25 June 2013, Cliff Crown was elected Chairman Of Brentford Football Club.

18 April 2014 Brentford were promoted to the Championship after they beat Preston 1–0 at Griffin Park in front of 10,774 people sparking a pitch invasion. This meant The Bees' return to second tier after a 21 year absence.

In the 2014/15 season they impressed and finished in one place ahead of Town on the final table in 5th, before being knocked out in the playoff semi finals by Middlesbrough.

They didn’t achieve the same heights of the 2014/15, finishing in 9th place on the table in 15/16 and last season they finished in 10th place with 84 points.

The Manager – Dean Smith

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

4 more goals would be very welcome

Media Watch - K L Blue

Stuart Watson's 7 observations

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5150348

MM on the front 5

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32088

Rangers fans reactions to Waghorn and Garner

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/16/ra ... -waghorns/

Jordan Spence interview

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5150323

Neil Harris Interview

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/63976-harri ... -loss.html

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 3rd place with 9 points

Millwall FC 3-4 Ipswich Town

Barnsley 1-2 Ipswich Town

Luton Town 0-2 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-0 Birmingham City

Charlton Athletic 6-1 Ipswich Town

Brentford Last 5 Matches – Currently in 20th place with 1 points

Brentford FC 2-2 Bristol City

Brentford FC 3-4 Nottingham F.

AFC Wimbledon 1-3 AET Brentford FC

Sheffield Utd 1-0 Brentford FC

Brentford FC 2-1 Celta de Vigo

Fixtures of Interest

WOLVES VS CARDIFF

FOREST VS MIDDLESBROUGH

SUNDERLAND VS LEEDS

Marko's Caption Contest

Snowed under this week with work, (people switching their heating on after summer, boilers not working etc……, great time of year for me!)……., so DEFINITELY a league table on the game preview AFTER Brentford.

Have a crack at this:

Match Referee – Oliver Langford

IPSWICH TOWN 2 BRENTFORD 1

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Ipswich vs Brentford Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:57 am

As an aside ..... does anyone else think Brentfords manager Dean Smith looks like Morrissey??

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:01 pm

We are going to keep on winning.. have faith 2-1 Town

Caption - Man without programme - "'Ummm Dave, are you sure the match is tonight? Where the f**k is everyone?"

Caption 2 - Oh god, that is soooo going to smell. Why did I sit next to them?

Caption 3 - A huge decrease in ticket sales leaves Brentford giving out gifts to entice supporters back. Brian wasn't impressed!

Caption 4 - The entertainment is so dull at Brentford, the fans resort to flicking through the Littlewoods catalogue underwear section.
Last edited by nicscreamer on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Frosty wrote:As an aside ..... does anyone else think Brentfords manager Dean Smith looks like Morrissey??
Has he got a tree hanging out his arse?

Excellent preview again...... and regarding Bart holding the ball for 90mins...... this would have pros & cons......, the main con, it'd be boring. The main pro, being able to listen to a mate who likes to talk for 90mins...... no, wait....... that's a con too I think. No one gives a f*ck about your new 4 million gig iPod, Steve!

Again, no predictions but, as Mike says, with team spirit at a high, difficult to see a negative result in this at PR.

Ref caption:

Player: Come on, ref. He's been holding that ball for 87 minutes, FFS!
Ref: WAIT, sshhh. Let's see if he can hold that thing the entire 90.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

ITFC 2v2 Brentford

Caption:

Music blaring over speakers...

"Why do you come here ?
And why do you hang around ?
I'm so sorry
I'm so sorry

Why do you come here
When you know it makes things hard for me ?
When you know, oh
Why do you come ?
Why do you telephone ? (Hmm...)
And why send me silly notes ?
I'm so sorry
I'm so sorry"

...Christ!, I'd like to punch Morrissey right in the mouth!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Make it a "two-fer", 9. Get Springsteen in the room with tree arse and I'll join you!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

CAPTION...." What a stupid challenge, to sit here and not move until Cole F*****G Skuse crosses the half way line "

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:36 pm

marko69 wrote:Make it a "two-fer", 9. Get Springsteen in the room with tree arse and I'll join you!
I'd probably break my fist on Springsteen's Neanderthal jaw-bone. You can have him...I'll just punch Morrissey until he yells I'mmm soooo sooorrrry ahahahahaha! :x

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm

After the previous results have to be positive again and go for a 2 - 0 win for Ipswich.

Caption. "Hey guys, the game has started it's 20 minutes in and we have made it past the halfway line...... WTF they have scored again...... where the hell is everyone".

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Caption: It is bad enough the players not being on the same page but now the fans aren't either.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Ipswich 1 - brentford 2.

Caption comp.
Man with arms folded "so this is what they mean by football in a library!"

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Caption competition;
Beegirl monthly is enjoyed by 80% of Bees fans.The remaining 20% want Beeboy monthly. :shock:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:22 am

Continues to garner comprehension of what we have achieved thus far albeit in first month of season. Can't see why the team can't register a victory in this and possible first place in league dependant on games elsewhere.

f*ck, if the team can manage three league victories and cup progression after the disaster of before then what we got up next is more than manageable. May not be anything pretty or even of a lackluster quantity, but with home advantage at least and what has recently come to pass, the opportunity presents itself for further progress.

Ipswich 1 Brentford 0

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am

Caption:

1. "Not everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet"

2. "Duh! ......... I completely forgot we were playing Norwich and I dont have a good book to read"

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 am

As neither team are great at defending and both are capable of scoring in going to go for a 0-0. Often works out that way!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 am

Brentford's last three games have seen 15 goals and given our current form both in defence and attack I'll stick with the 5 goal average and predict 3-2 to Town. Worst case scenario 2-2 draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 am

I've heard/seen rumours that Chambers is injured and out of tomorrows game and that we are in advanced talks with a CB who has to be signed by 12pm today in order to be available tomorrow, while I take this type of stuff with a pinch of salt it has to be said that Chambo took a real hefty knock during the first half at Millwall but battled on to the end so I would not be totally surprised if there was some substance to this story.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

Hes out for a month, this is getting beyond a joke now!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

Is that right ? Gonna get stuffed tomorrow unfortunately.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... njury-list

Whilst it sounds negative at home id snatch your hand off for a draw tomorrow!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 am

Yes just saw it TWTD, I don't think we have a cat in hells chance tomorrow TBH, I feel we will be forced to go 3-5-2 with Iorfa, Spence & Knudsen as the Three at the back and Ward & kenlock as wing backs. Brentford will be too strong, as optimistic as I usually am this is just a crazy injury list now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am

Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack

10-9 we're going to win 10-9!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

This is very bad news indeed. Out for a month is the preverbial kick in the stanes at this early stage. The defence needed soooooo many more games with Chambo there to have a better chance of becoming a bit more stable.

But with you being out for a month, Luke, you may be bored, maybe log on here and read a few comments........ like, what happens if Jonas becomes world class in your absence? Start thinking of an answer to that one boyo!!

Regarding the opposition, Everyone just do what one of my older buddies does, (he's 61) ..... talks about 70s/80s ITFC as if it happened only a few months ago.
Quote from him: "Who they playing? Brentford? Aw they'll stuff Brentford nae bother, man! Where are they, 4th division?!"

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Caption "" hmm yeah you're right, theres no team selected in here either - are you sure were at the right ground "

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

ITFC 3: Brentford 2

Caption:

Whistful older fan: " Great to get here early ... breathe in the atmosphere... smell the freshly mown grass.... sense the presence of heroes of days gone by ... it's really rather beguiling"

Other fan: " it's sh*t. Should be in a pub. You f*cked up ... it wasn't a midday kick-off"

Tricky

Post by Tricky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Fantastic preview, that must have taken a while. I think a victory is a likely result, but we are Ipswich, so anything is possible. My first home game of the season so will go for a 2-0 Town win.
Last edited by Tricky on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Devastating news regarding Chambo - as much for his leadership qualities, in a team not blessed with too many vocalists. Still, out of adversity and all that; and we now possess the assets to make attack our best form of defence. Needs must - so go for it!

Perhaps some pressure in trying to achieve a fourth straight win - but a far more pleasant experience than the alternative. Really need to enjoy, and not waste energy contemplating impending doom!

Despite injuries, going for a 1-0 win.

Caption:

They were happy in the haze of a drunken hour,
But heaven knows they're miserable now.......

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Correct Herforder, his leadership will be missed terribly and for that alone I fear for us tomorrow, I was quietly confident but not anymore, would take a point now for sure, that will be some achievement in itself.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Caption Comp : glad i had the curry chicken pie and a pint that programme is crap
Caption Comp: I spy on your own is no fun.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 am

Lets go with a 2-1 victory to the Town!

Caption:
"So the next position your Mom and I decided to try after watching 50 Shades of Grey was...are you listening?"