Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Time for a Win huh?

Exeter City Win
40%
Ipswich Town Win
40%
Extra Time
20%

Total votes: 15

arana peligrosa

Re: Exeter City vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 am

Another League Cup game in the fall, another bullshit elimination. We're stacking up a nice record here.

I don't care if we got a new manager (finding his feet) or a whole lot of new kids to try out, the fact remains we should be taking care of opposition such as this regardless of venue. Seems a strong team was deployed and we had the better of it, even played admirably at times, although individual posts on TWTD would beg to differ.

I accept now we and this competition are not made for each other, it's not meant to be. True it's a sorry-as* piece of crap endeavor that should ideally be abolished (the 3'000 attendance today would seem to add further clarification) but all the same it would be nice to see us progress beyond the First Round a whole lot more often than the club is able.

I'm not panicking by any extent (after the two league games that preceded it) but disappointed all the same. Next year if I get to witness it I think it's best we simply omit ourselves from participation of this garbage as believe have now had enough.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am

Bottom line:

Blackburn....Just up from League 1.........Scraped Draw.
Rotherham...Just up from League 1.........Lost
Exeter.........League 2.........................Lost.

Town's best performance came against West Ham pre season, they looked good, passing and moving pressing high up, Dozzell, Nydam and Downes in Midfield. Since then they have been absent and Town have gone backwards. Maybe he needs to bring them back with there energy and Dozzell's range of passing?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:02 am

I thought the same as well.... after the West Ham game I was really impressed by the high pressing of the 3 young lads in midfield.

Hurst doesn’t seem to think they’re ready, though. And maybe it’s here where we might need to allow Hurst time. We’ve got too many options in midfield and that means a hell of a lot of permutations in those midfield positions.

I’m disappointed that Hurst seems to want to offload Nydam, Dozzell and Downes on loans. But if they’re not playing regularly then they’ll be wasting a season in the under 23’s.

I can’t help think that Dozzell deserves a place on the bench. He’s got something a bit extra and the 20-30 minutes off the bench surely should strengthen him and ease him into the team picture.

I think the key is getting the balance of those midfield positions right. We’re definately trying to play better football, but this one up top formation means those midfielders need to give the strikers more support.

If Hurst has a plan then he might have to brazen it out stubbornly to allow the team to develop. By switching formations and players too soon and too much he’ll give of the whiff of someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’m a little concerned, but prepared to exercise some patience. You can’t succesfully overhaul the team and change the way we play overnight... although I would expect to beat Exeter. :)

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:49 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am
Bottom line:

Blackburn....Just up from League 1.........Scraped Draw.
Rotherham...Just up from League 1.........Lost
Exeter.........League 2.........................Lost.

Town's best performance came against West Ham pre season, they looked good, passing and moving pressing high up, Dozzell, Nydam and Downes in Midfield. Since then they have been absent and Town have gone backwards. Maybe he needs to bring them back with there energy and Dozzell's range of passing?
I think I would keep Nolan but drop Skuse and Chalobah and bring back 2 of Downes, Nydam, Dozzell!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 am

rossi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 pm
Bart

Donacien
Nsiala
Chambo
Knudsen

Ward
Chalobah
Nolan

Edun
Sears
Jackson

Strong line up and happy with Edun and Jackson. Wish kenlock was in for Knudsen and Emmanuel for Donacien but hey ho.
hmmm - interesting interpretation you have of 4-3-3. It's not lost on me.

But all the commentators and pundits I have heard tonight state that it was 4-5-1 and Jackson was completely isolated up front.
Proof once again that one striker up front at this level does not work.
One up front isn’t the answer.

Pundits may have said it was 4-5-1. However Hurt also said ‘players were not playing in the positions they were supposed to be’..... possibility it was the wide men and MM negative approach meant the likes of sears (maybe ward and not edun) were dropping back? Of course I could be wrong and it was simply at 4-5-1, but that wouldn’t make sense being more negative against Exeter than Rotherham or Blackburn.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am

What is the issue with Downes anyway? He burst onto the scene and only read very good things, then was sent out on loan to Luton for a season. What’s the reason for him not being a regular starter, (not bench) but starter?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am

saint jude wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 am
Another League Cup game in the fall, another bullshit elimination. We're stacking up a nice record here.

I don't care if we got a new manager (finding his feet) or a whole lot of new kids to try out, the fact remains we should be taking care of opposition such as this regardless of venue. Seems a strong team was deployed and we had the better of it, even played admirably at times, although individual posts on TWTD would beg to differ.

I accept now we and this competition are not made for each other, it's not meant to be. True it's a sorry-as* piece of crap endeavor that should ideally be abolished (the 3'000 attendance today would seem to add further clarification) but all the same it would be nice to see us progress beyond the First Round a whole lot more often than the club is able.

I'm not panicking by any extent (after the two league games that preceded it) but disappointed all the same. Next year if I get to witness it I think it's best we simply omit ourselves from participation of this garbage as believe have now had enough.
Give me strength. You do talk some rubbish sometimes even if you do have the odd good point. Yes let’s just pull out of a domestic cup because we don’t fit in it. Also worth noting Exeter’s ground is small anyway with a whole stand missing, they are a league 2 team so I’m not sure what attendance your expecting? We sold out our very limited allocation for the match...

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

Disappointed with last night. I’m a little worried about Hursts interview after, he really lays into the players. But I’ve heard him say similar statements throughout his time here. In principal I’ve no problem with that but players these days can be precious with criticism, especially in public. I’m still happy to have hurst and feel we are trying to change the way we play by complete overhaul. He may just need to reign comments in a touch though.

Let’s hope we can pick up points in the next few, after all the championship is totally unpredictable

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:03 am

To be fair, the build up was fairly positive and I was expecting a 5-1 job......., like Mowbray dished out away at Carlisle. Would’ve really kick started the season. May only be the League Cup but a couple of rounds would’ve been decent.
Hashtag disappointed, hash tin, off for a smoke.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am

Charlton, Warnock was only a smidge away from
saying his players were all, twats, c*cks and fannies....... they’re all in the EPL now. I’ll differ on this one......
if an Ipswich interviewer asks, “TreVOHS penalty?”
Hurst,”Yeah, TreVOHS penalty. Another penalty like that and he can GTF.”
Ok, maybe not THAT vocal.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 am

charlton837 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am
Disappointed with last night. I’m a little worried about Hursts interview after, he really lays into the players. But I’ve heard him say similar statements throughout his time here. In principal I’ve no problem with that but players these days can be precious with criticism, especially in public. I’m still happy to have hurst and feel we are trying to change the way we play by complete overhaul. He may just need to reign comments in a touch though.

Let’s hope we can pick up points in the next few, after all the championship is totally unpredictable

Precious with criticism indeed! The poor darling overpaid nancy boys. Perhaps a bit of public humiliation will do them good, bless them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:13 am

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45 am

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 am
charlton837 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am

Precious with criticism indeed! The poor darling overpaid nancy boys. Perhaps a bit of public humiliation will do them good, bless them.
yes absolutely and to be fair I think most players we have could take criticism anyway but you know what some are like these days. Its a bit of a fine line as the min you lose that dressing room your in trouble. Hes nowhere near this yet but hes only been in charge of 3 competitive games, all of which ive heard him say things like "nowhere near my standards", that may be the case and I thoroughly hope he gets us playing the way he wants, but he does need to keep players on board and not demoralize them. Maybe im overthinking this part of it, hopefully I am, I really want it to work out for Hurst here and im sure it will in time, nothing was going to change overnight, we all said things may get worse before they get better

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am

Sounds like we are creating lots of chances but do not have enough quality to score enough goals,I was against the selling off Waghorn & Garner as they are proven goal scorers.We appear to be having lots of shots on goal but are misfiring,oh well maybe the loan rangers can help out.
Last edited by Magicmark on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 am

As I wasn’t at the game can’t comment on the performance or how the team played.
What I will say is if PH feels that certain players weren’t giving 100% then imo he is perfectly right in calling them out. However, as the saying goes “actions speak louder than words” and therefore if he has identified these players then he should drop them for the Aston Villa game whether they are senior players or not. If not they will just continue to do as they are now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 am

Where to start, a 530 Mile trip and getting home at 4AM and all to witness a very poor, at times inept display against a League Two side who it has to be said as the game wore on deserved to progress to the second round. The manager clearly is not happy, his after match interview pulled no punches and if he feels players are not giving 100% then I am fully in support of him calling them out, we pay damn good money and give up time to travel some distance and the least we can expect is that they give it everything.

At HT I thought it had been ok, nothing more, I felt we had more than enough about us to get the job done, that only applies if you step it up and compete after the break, Exeter were always going to give it a go with nothing to lose and as the game went on they actually deserved to go through for sheer grit and determination while we just let them back into when we should have applied the foot to the throat and got the job done.

In previous games the formation has been clear to see, 4-2-3-1 with the wide guys playing as Strikers alongside Ellis with One of the Two so called defensive Midfielders being the box to box man(has been Skuse) with Chalobah sitting deep but still getting forward, last night however I felt at times we had absolutely no shape at all, we looked all over the place at times with poor Kayden Jackson more isolated than Harrison has been and by some distance.A couple of the Midfielders seemed lost at times and not knowing where they should be operating, Hurst has since said they didn't do their jobs or as instructed, with that scenario you have no chance. The Full backs at least tried to get forward a bit in the opening part of the game but it became less and less the longer it went on, we had no drive through the Middle of Midfield as much of the good work was done deep in front of our own back Four.

The opening exchanges were actually quite positive with Town knocking it around well and looking in complete control without troubling their keeper, Chalobah was the first to have a go at goal with a dipping shot that went wide, One or two decent deliveries into Exeter's box weren't latched onto by a Town player as nobody was busting a gut to get in at the back post. Exeter had a really good effort to go ahead but the striker at the back post failed to connect onto a good delivery from Town old boy Lee Martin, a let off.

Town finally got their noses in front thanks to some good approach play from Edun who's driving run and pass set up Jackson who surged down the left before cutting in and firing somewhat fortuitously passed the Exeter keeper for his first goal in Town colours. At that point it did feel like we would get the job done as just before the break a decent effort fell to Nolan but his shot was wide. It hadn't been a great half by any means but it certainly didn't lead you to think of what was to come after the interval. Chalobah had for me been the best player by a distance while Nsiala and Edun had also looked to have done OK, One or two had been anonymous and offered little, more on that later.

The second half started with Spence on at RB instead of Janoi Donacien who must have had a knock or something as he had done ok in my opinion. It was Exeter who came out on the front foot and a couple of early chances should have been a wake up call for Town, thankfully neither tested Bart in the Town goal. Town were finding it hard to mount anything resembling a serious attack, one or Two balls were played forward for the willing Jackson to run onto and he did well with what little he had to work with but support was often just not there.

Exeter did get back level following a free kick out wide which was sent into the danger area, Bart does what he often does and flaps around without being assertive, gets a boot to it and sends it up in the air for their guy to nod it home, p*ss poor defending and woeful goalkeeping again, i've not seen it back yet but that's how it looked from the stand and the view was pretty good.

Bishop was sent on the replace the invisible man (Sears) as Town looked to get back in front. Another determined bit of play from Jackson saw him latch on to a through ball from Spence before crossing for the on rushing Nolan to blast his effort just over the bar, it was our best, if not only real move of any quality after the break. For the final few minutes Rowe was sent on to replace the waxwork dummy we had borrowed from Madame Tussaud's for the evening to fill our Midfield.

With penalties approaching both teams had chances to win it in normal time, first the hosts had a free kick in a dangerous position which Bart managed to get behind and smother as it was straight at him. Then at the other end more good work from the tireless Jackson set up Edun who's shot was going in only for Pym to palm it away, was a decent save and a good chance for Town had gone begging. Play went back up the other end and Bart was again called into action as Exeter looked for the winner. With Four minutes of added time it was Town that almost scrambled the winner but the ball just wouldn't fall for us and it was cleared. A very disappointing second half saw it go to penalties and I really don't need to go into detail what happened there, even before they started I knew what the outcome would be and so it proved, all I will say is that it was such a shame that Town's best player by a calender mile took the worst penalty ever which ultimately cost us the game but I certainly don't blame him at all as without Chalobah we would have been well beaten in 90 minutes.

No doubt the big question everyone is asking is just who is PH referring to as not giving it 100% and not doing their jobs, well my thoughts on this are as follows.

Bart... Another less than inspiring performance form our so called star man, for me his season has been poor so far, kicking goes from bad to worse and couldn't catch a cold let alone a cross, clearly it won't be him Hurst speaks of though (5)

Donacien... Had a steady opening half before being subbed off, I can only assume it was for injury as he was far from the worst player in Blue, needs to offer more going forward though but defensively he will improve, (5)

Chambers...As always with Chambo leads by example but good things are often mixed with really poor things, passing at times leaves a lot to be desired but he definitley tried to gee the players up as you can hear him (6)

Nsiala... For me one of the better players, yes at times he looks a little gangly and appears to have a mistake in him but he more than makes up for that with his determined approach to winning headers and tackles etc, got in some timely interceptions on more than One occasion. (7)

Knudsen...Does he really want to be here ? I would question it, have never rated him as a LB and never will, got forward a couple of times but if ever Hurts comments were fitting of a player on the night then Knudsen must be one of them as all too often a Exeter player ran passed him with ease. (5)

Chalobah...For me the pick of the Town players and by a distance, worked his socks off, blocked and broke up play time and time again, showed he has some ability on the ball too with some neat footwork, tried to get us on the front foot at every opportunity and ran his socks off while others stood idle, let's not forget he's still a kid too. Town MOTM, no contest. (8)

Edun... Another who for me tried hard and did a lot of good stuff, not least in setting up the goal for Jackson, that said I think PH may be referring to Edun at times in the "out of position" and not knowing where he should be playing comments as I cannot tell you where exactly he should have been much of the time, he looks a player though and with better around him will be an asset. (7)

Nolan....Looked like a rabbit in the headlights at times, all too often the action seemed to be going on around him, yes he did one or two good things but is that enough ? Not for me it isn't, I think Hurst saying some need to adjust to the step up and quickly fits Nolan spot on TBH, he is going to have to up it or the likes of Downes and co will be breathing down his neck, he has obvious talent but use it !! (5)

Ward...Disgraceful, only word I can think of to describe his p*ss poor effort, as I said a bit like a waxwork Dummy last night, after a decent pre season he is being the Ward of old, a liability in the extreme who offers nothing at either end of the pitch, needs to be dumped and quick, with what we have at the club now how the hell is he getting in the starting Eleven, Roberts a much better option for me. (4)

Sears...Another who should be nowhere near the first team, just hasn't got it, has never had it and is plain hopeless, offers nothing by way of a presence on the pitch, cannot win headers or tackles, is powder puff and for me been on borrowed time for Three years, needs ditching and fast. (4)

Jackson...Felt so sorry for the lad, such a willing runner and loves to put it about, chased down everything that came his way and won most of it, delivered a couple of rally good crosses into the box where nobody could be arsed to bust a gut to get on the end of them (Sears, Ward, Nolan) we missed Edwards big time. (7)

Spence...Came on at HT and while he was far from the worst player he just doesn't inspire me, it was to be fair Spence who set Jackson away on a couple of occasions to get the crosses in so fair do's but thought we may have been moving on from average type players. (6)

That is how I saw it, there is zero doubt we missed both Gwion Edwards & Cole Skuse, most agreed after and during the game, it will be interesting to see who survives the chop for Saturday because if we play like that it will be a good hiding coming our way, funnily enough as jarred off as I am right now it may just be the massive kick up the arse a few of them need. what people do need to realise though is that at times we are playing some good passing football, it has to be with everyone buying into it though, Hurst knows what he is looking for and clearly he isn't seeing it from some individuals. The improvement has to start and fast with some tough games on the horizon.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:44 pm

What a fantastic report Mike.

Really liked the player ratings bit.

Reading a bit online today on Twtd, there was the odd comment basically saying we have brought in a lot of league 1/league 2 players (obviously) ..... In your opinion are there too many lower league players in our side that are yet to adjust to championship football?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 pm

To be honest Frosty even if you bring in Nine new Championship quality players and play them all it is a risk that will take time to settle down, I am not sure them being lower league is the issue. We have to realise that yes we have lots of new players but we also have a new manager and coaching staff who are trying to instill a new style of play at the club, anyone who knows anything about football should know that just does not happen overnight. Prior to las night I was ok with what I saw against Blackburn & Rotherham (results aside of course) as there are signs that we are a work in progress, what bothers me more is when the manager that is buying most of that team feels they aren't putting in 100%, that cannot be allowed to continue and PH certainly won't let it.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks Mike. Excellent report as always. Very informative. Definitely a team that needs work. Hopefully PH will get them playing his way quickly.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm

great report Mike, thanks for taking the time to write it including the part about each player. I only listened to first half on radio and it sounded like we were well in control and playing "OK" without really threatening. But in general play it sounded like we were playing fairly well.

I turned off at HT so it sounds like I missed a horror show in the 2nd half, I had been a bit concerned by PH's firmness in some of the comments as if hes saying these things he has to take action to follow it up to really show the authority, meaning these that he said did not put 100% have to be dropped regardless of who they are (senior or youngster). However after reading your report im perhaps understanding a bit more why PH was so upset and why hes digging some players out without naming them.

Just when I first saw PH interview I was surprised as during the 1st half it didn't sound that bad.

Im very interested to see the lineup for Saturday, could be some very big indicators as to who PH was referring to. You cant drop everyone of course but if there are one or two in particular that were bad (Knudsen, Ward and Sears come to mind) then I think he has to remove them for sure

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks Mike.

Personally I think we should ditch the following . Some for good, (FG) others, to give them a sharp kick up the arse (KA)

Bart (KA)
Knudsen (FG)
Sears(FG)
Ward( KA)
Donacian (KA)

Bring into the squad/ team...
Nydam
Kenlock
Dozzell
Emmanual
Gerkin

I doubt any player not pulling their weight will last long under Hurst. I wait to see which CB/ Striker we bring in , because we sure as hell need them .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 pm

I think Ward needs ditching tbh and Donacien is showing decent signs for me at RB too, I prefer him to Emmanuel.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:44 pm
What a fantastic report Mike.

Really liked the player ratings bit.

Reading a bit online today on Twtd, there was the odd comment basically saying we have brought in a lot of league 1/league 2 players (obviously) ..... In your opinion are there too many lower league players in our side that are yet to adjust to championship football?

To be honest Frosty I think we have acquired far too many players from the lower leagues and are expecting far to much from them far too quickly as they struggle to adjust to a league with faster pace and more physical style. I think what we lack is having enough players with solid Championship experience playing alongside them and helping to bring them on and pass on their experience and helping them adjust. Had we just brought in say a couple of lower league players and blended them into a more experienced team then I think it would have worked, but we’re lower league player top heavy.

In my opinion what PH needs to do now is to bring in a couple of older more experienced loan players surplus to requirement at much bigger clubs and utilise them alongside the new recruits to help them settle down and help them with their personal development. What PH is doing may be possible in Leagues 1 and 2 but is less likely to work in the Championship which we sometimes forget is probably one of the most competitive Leagues in Europe.

“Silk purse from a sows ear comes to mind” and as we know it doesn’t happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

The thing is so far we have played, Blackburn, Rotherham and Exeter, three team who in truth have squads littered with lower league players too, we are still using Chambers, Skuse, knudsen, Ward, Bart, Sears, Spence so that is Seven players with Championship experience who have struggled to get results, the bright spots so far this season have been Edwards, Chalobah, Edun and last night Jackson so i don't think the lower league inexperience thing stacks up to be honest.

I don't think there is any great mystery in that with any team change of style and personnel takes time, nothing more than that, what concerns me is the players not giving it 100% and from what I saw it is most definitely the experienced and older heads with Championship experience that Hurst is talking about so maybe we didn't get rid of enough of them !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:12 pm

I’ll weigh into the discussion about too many lower league players.

I didn’t see last nights game, but read Mikes report, but based on that and the the first two games I would say the better players so far come from the new signings as opposed to the established Chaionship players from last year.

Example, Surely a World Cup performer like Knudsen should be streets ahead of our new signings?

Sears, Ward, Spence have ample Championship experience ... where is their experience shining through? Bart has also been shaky.

I’m hearing a bit of criticism of Harrison and less so Jackson not converting chances, but have these boys been provided with gilt-edged chances?

The word ‘experience’ is bandied about a lot in football. What does that exactly does it mean? I get that they might have proven experience in the league .... but the flip side to that is that it’s usually a player who’s past his peak, knows that to survive you have to put a shift and not take too many chances... and they’re unlikely to improve. I remember over 10 years ago Magilton going on about Campo’s experience with the others on the training ground was so positive.... the guy couldn’t get into the team and I thought that was pure BS to explain why they were paying his over the top wages.

Maybe if our experienced players outplay their lower league colleagues then we should go that route.

Could it be a newly put together side adopting a new system might take a bit of time? It’s funny that arguably our best player over the 3 games has been Chalobah.... and he’s had a grand total of 3 competitive senior games in his career.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Much appreciated comprehensive match report there, Mike. Superb. Looking forward to the Villa pre-thoughts and possible starting line up.

I know I keep banging on about Downes, but is he out on loan, or carrying an injury? Be good if he could be considered over Ward, who’s not getting good press on here, or anywhere else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Tang

That is exactly how I see it too and is completely correct, the seniors are the ones being questioned here for me and you and I have both said it is the newbies who have supplied what few highlights we have had so far, some of those guys are just not stepping up, by that I mean Sears, Ward & Knudsen, yes at times Chambo makes a right rick but he can never be accused of not giving his all, that won't ever happen, For anyone to start dishing out stick to Harrison & Jackson is ridiculous, they must be bloody idiots, Jackson had sod all to feed off last night apart from one good ball from Edun and the reuslt was a goal !!!! The lad has been here less than a week FFS, get a grip people, Harrison is maybe a little bit behind Jackson in terms of ability but he is such a willing worker,, good in the air and puts himself about, his goal against West Ham was a cool finish and he put one against the post too, what he needs is the supply that any striker needs, it hasn't been there, we have so many good options in Midfield so we need to bloody well start using them, Sears and Ward are not the sodding answer.

Marko

Downes was missing from the squad at Rotherham Marko due to some kind of illness the day before and PH was not wanting it to spread through the squad so he was left at home, I think he is very much in the managers thoughts going forward, even more so now !!!

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 pm

That was a very in depth report Mike.

When I checked the stats in the first half we again had most of the play a completely alien concept under MM.
A lot of new players all in at once is going to take time but who have we got to keep them out of the team ?

Not much of a score for Nolan I see, I hope he doesn't blow hot and cold as he sounds like a good footballer.

Ward is a waste of space for me, as is Sears.

Knudson despite his occasional decent cross and long throw cannot defend at LB.

Looking forward to seeing the 3 new lads on Saturday.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 am

Yep, no reason to hit the panic button just yet. I'm sure Hurst is a smart cookie and his comments would have been taken on board by both 'experienced' and 'inexperienced' championship players alike. I can remember in the dim and distant past, one of my schoolteachers claiming that he loved having me in the class because I was always first to answer and always wrong, giving him a chance to explain the error to the class and improve their learning. It must be the same in coaching, they'll be watching the videos back this week and in a sense, the more games they get wrong now, the quicker they will learn what the Boss wants.

Obviously things will take time to bed in and for now there will be games when the players don't quite manage to implement the managers plans like well greased cogs in a machine. What we should be watching for is gradual improvement over the first 10-15 games.

What I'm liking is that we are seeing moments of class and ability in our new players that if replicated more consistently might be showing us that we can hope for a big improvement over time. If we were missing this then it really would be time to worry.

One thing that interest me is that when Hurst arrived, and during the pre-season we all had the impression that we would be playing the high press style. But if I'm reading correctly we haven't actually done this at all in the first 3 games. Is that right? Are some pressing and others not? Was that just a red herring?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 am

We played that high intensity pressing game against West ham but as you say not since, not that i have noticed anyway, interestingly we lined up agaisnt West Ham with Dozzell, Nydam and Downes in Midfield who executed it very well, Nydam in particular is so suited to this style of play which is why I am surprised at his lack of involvement thus far.