Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to Back wins?

Ipswich Win
57%
Q.P.R. Win
29%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:58 am

Image Ipswich Town v Queens Park RangersImage

Saturday 20th October 2018 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

At Last !!! The Monkey Off Our Backs

What a relief ! To finally get that elusive first win of the season is a massive weight lifted off everyone's shoulders, not least those of manager Paul Hurst, clearly the players will be feeling so much better too and it was plain for all to see at the Libery stadium just what it meant to everyone connected to the club, Players, Manager, backroom staff and of course the hardy fans celebrated like we'd just won the cup never mind one game ! One picture from the weekend summed it up for me and that was seeing our fantastic captain with his arm around Paul Hurst giving him a big hug with Hurst beaming from ear to ear as they walked off the pitch. In that One moment alone I drew my own conclusions that all this talk about disharmony behind the scenes etc is utter bullshit and as such so counter productive, we all hear rumours at times but I think from now on I will choose to ignore them all.

It really was a great game to watch, end to end, chances galore, plenty of goals and drama and of course the right outcome for once, so tense was it at the end that I have already consigned myself to the fact that I will probably keel over and die at one of these games such was the tense feeling in my chest during those closing minutes, I sure as hell don't need telling that it's only a game. As strange as it may seem it was one of those matches where Swansea will be wondering how after such a good opening half they did not win the game and yet we more than deserved to take at the very least something from it, the way we responded after the interval and at times tried to take the game to them warranted the points too.

Of course we are all smart enough to know that One win means little, yes it is a start but that is all it is, we need plenty more of them, failing to do the business at home this coming Saturday will render this fabulous result totally meaningless and we just cannot afford for that to happen, we may have closed things up at the bottom but the table still makes poor reading and it doesn't lie, building on this great result will see the confidence grow even more and then you get on a bit of a roll, we are capable of it and aside from Leeds away we have Four of the next Five games against sides that are right down there with us, this run I feel is crucial and we need to make the most of the opportunity it presents us, if we can win at Swansea we can win anywhere.

Freddie Sears

I had nothing but praise for Freddie following his performance against the Swans, for me it was his best game by far for over Three years which is strange as again he failed to find the net and missed a couple of sitters but that should not detract from the excellent effort he put in over the 97 minutes, the way they played suited his style no end and he exploited it, just as One win does not transform our season One good performance from Freddie does not wipe out all my negative thoughts on him, I am still a long way from being convinced he is the answer to our attacking problems, that said we have little else right now thanks to injuries etc so we need him to be putting in these kind of displays week in and week out, nothing would please me more than to be proved wrong where Mr sears is concerned but fair play to him he was excellent and set up the crucial First goal for Gwion Edwards and very nearly scored the second himself.

Next Up.....

Queens Park Rangers are our visitors following the International break and it is a game we have to win, a few weeks ago they look nailed on to be in the mix for a relegation spot and while they still sit in a lowly Eighteenth place they have won Three of their last Six games, the signings of Tomer Hemed & Nakhi Wells have given them a much needed bit of quality up front which was sadly lacking but they do still look very vulnerable at the back and have conceded a lot of goals.

This is a game that we really should be targeting Three points from, a bit like Bolton really where we failed to deliver but that cannot be allowed to happen again, there are far stiffer tests to come so these games are already looking like Six Pointers, a win here will see us a mere Two points behind the Londoners and in all probability it would lift us out of the bottom Three which would be another psychological boost for the players. I think we will rise to the occasion and get back to back wins, it won't be easy, it never is but a Town win for me in this one. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Queens Park Rangers

The club was formed in 1886, when a team known as St Jude's (formed in 1884) merged with Christchurch Rangers (formed in 1882). The resulting team was called Queens Park Rangers, because most of the players came from the Queen's Park area of North-West London. QPR became a professional team in 1889 and played their home games in nearly 20 different stadia (a league record), before permanently settling at Loftus Road in 1917.

QPR were promoted as champions of Division 3 South in the 1947–48 season and enjoyed four seasons in the Second Division, before being relegated in 1951–52.

In 1966–67, QPR won the Division Three championship and became the first Third Division club to win the League Cup on Saturday, 4 March 1967. After winning promotion in 1968 to the top flight for the first time in their history, Rangers were relegated after just one season and spent the next four years in Division 2.

In 1974 Dave Sexton joined as manager and, in 1975–76 led QPR to the runners-up spot in the First Division, missing out on the Championship by a single point with a squad containing seven England internationals and internationals from the home nations.

The late 1970s also saw some cup success with Rangers reaching the semi-finals of the League Cup and in their first entry into European football reached the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup losing to AEK Athens on penalties. Following Sexton's departure in 1977 the club eventually slipped into the Second Division in 1979.

In 1980 Terry Venables took over as manager and the club installed a 'plastic pitch'. In 1982 QPR, still playing in the Second Division, reached the FA Cup Final for the only time in the club's history, but lost to Tottenham 1-0 in the replay.

The following season 1982–83 QPR went on to win the Second Division championship and returned to English football's top division. After a respectable fifth-place finish, and UEFA Cup qualification. Over the next seven years, various managers came and went from Loftus Road and the club spent many seasons finishing mid table but avoided relegation. The most successful season during this period was the 1987–88 season in which QPR finished fifth, missing out on a UEFA Cup campaign due to the ban on English clubs in European competition as a result of the Heysel Stadium disaster.

Gerry Francis was appointed manager in the summer of 1991. In the 1991–92 First Division campaign they finished mid-table in the league and were founder members of the new Premier League, finishing 5th, as top London club, in the 1992–93 inaugural season. Midway through the 1994–95 season Francis resigned and Ray Wilkins was installed as player-manager. Wilkins led QPR to an eighth-place finish in the Premiership

QPR struggled throughout the following season and were relegated at the end of the 1995–96 season. QPR then competed in Division 1 until 2001 under a succession of managers. Gerry Francis returned in 1998, however the 2000–2001 season proved to be a disaster, and Francis resigned in early 2001.

Charismatic former player Ian Holloway became manager but was unable to stop Rangers from being relegated to England's third tier for the first time for more than thirty years.

Following the 2003–2004 season QPR returned to Division 1 and struggled for consistent form over the next two campaigns before Holloway was suspended amidst rumours of his departure for Leicester City

During this same period, QPR became embroiled in financial and boardroom controversy. Although the club had floated on the Alternative Investment Market in 1991, in 2001 it entered administration (receivership). A period of financial hardship followed and the club left administration after receiving a £10m high-interest emergency loan which continued to burden the club. Scandals involving the directors, shareholders and others emerged in 2005–06 season and included allegations of blackmail and threats of violence against the club's chairman Gianni Paladini.

Following this low point in the club's history as Rangers also faced mounting financial pressure, in the same month it was announced that the club had been bought by wealthy Formula One businessmen Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. During the 2007–08 season, Rangers competed in the Football League Championship. Further investment followed in early 2008 as the club looked to push for promotion to the Premier League within four years, on the back of greater financial stability. On 14 May 2008 Iain Dowie was announced as the manager to begin the campaign to return Rangers to the top flight. However, on 24 October 2008 Iain Dowie was sacked after just fifteen games in charge of the club.
On 19 November 2008, QPR named former Portugal midfielder Paulo Sousa as their new first team coach. However, on 9 April 2009, his contract was terminated. In June 2009 Jim Magilton was named as new manager of QPR. Despite leading QPR to a good start to the 2009–10 season, a loss of form meant he left the club by mutual consent on 16 December 2009. He was replaced by Paul Hart on the next day. Less than a month and only 5 games after becoming manager at QPR, Paul Hart parted with the club on 14 January 2010.

On 30 April 2011, QPR secured promotion to the Premier League by winning the Championship. A subsequent FA investigation involving QPR's acquisition of Alejandro Faurlín threatened to deduct points from the side and put their promotion into jeopardy. The investigation concluded on 7 May 2011, with QPR found to be at fault in two of the seven charges, and received a £875,000 fine. However, there were no points deducted by the FA, and QPR's promotion to the Premier League was secured.

In January 2012, club chairman Tony Fernandes appointed Mark Hughes as team manager 36 hours after the previous incumbent Neil Warnock was sacked. QPR escaped relegation on the last day of the season.

On 23 November 2012, Mark Hughes was sacked on the back of a poor start to the 2012–13 season, with the club languishing at the bottom of the Premier League despite significant financial investment in new players. A day later, Harry Redknapp was confirmed as the new manager. On 28 April 2013, with 3 games of the season to play, QPR were relegated from the Premier League down to the Championship after two seasons in the top flight.

During the 2013–14 season, QPR finished 4th in the Championship, and qualified for the play-offs where they defeated Wigan Athletic in the semi-finals. In the final against favourites Derby County on 24 May 2014, QPR won 1–0 with a goal in the 90th minute to return to the Premier League.

The return to the top flight was a brief one however with QPR being relegated from the Premiership in last place at the conclusion of the 2014/15 season.

After a poor start to the Championship, Chris Ramsey was sacked in November 2015. Former manager Neil Warnock returned to the hot seat in interim charge. On 4 December 2015, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was appointed the club's new manager on a rolling contract.

Hasselbaink was sacked on 5 November 2016, just 11 months after being in charge, six days later QPR reappointed Ian Holloway who was previously in-charge 10 years ago.

Last season QPR finished 16th on the Championship table.

Holloway left the club at the end of the 2017–18 season. One week later, on 17 May 2018, QPR appointed former England manager Steve McClaren as manager.

The Manager – Steve McLaren

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

[youtube] [/youtube]

Media Watch - K L Blue

Town youngsters...…………………..

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/young-playe ... -1-5739442

Town Ladies

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-ladies ... -1-5738760

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 23rd place with 9 points

18 Sep Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Brentford

22 Sep Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Bolton

29 Sep Birmingham City 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

02 Oct Ipswich Town 0 – 2 Middlesbrough

06 Oct Swansea City 2 – 3 Ipswich Town

QPR Last 5 Matches currently in 18th place with 14 points

19 Sep Queens Park Rangers 2 – 0 Millwall

22 Sep Queens Park Rangers 0 – 1 Norwich City

29 Sep Swansea City 3 – 0 Queens Park Rangers

2 Oct Reading FC 0 – 1 Queens Park Rangers

6 Oct Queens Park Rangers 1 – 1 Derby County

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Only 7 people took part the Swansea week. Apathy must’ve been pressing down on the humour. Although had a good laugh at the Frosty effort. Back on top spot after that. Hopefully with ITFC off the mark, (and Engerland :roll: :D ) you guys with be back on top form. And ITNO1...... don’t let that good start fade.

Swansea Scores (All 7 scored)

Frosty 5pts
Derick & Nicscreamer 4pts
Blueblood 3pts (Orville)
Ando, Bluemike & Tangfastic 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

FROSTY 26
TANGFASTIC 24
BLUEMIKE 23
DERICKIPSW 23
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 21
NICSCREAMER 19
ANDO 16
BLUEBLOOD 16
NUMBER9 14
PATTHEGIMP 7
WATERSHIP DOWN 7
BARMY BILLY 5
AYLESBURYBLUE 5
SHED ON TOUR 3
CHARNWOOD 1
KL BLUE 1
OHIOTRACTORBOY 1

QPR PIC:

Match Referee – Geoff Eltrigham

IPSWICH TOWN 1 QUEENS PARK RANGERS 0

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am

CAPTION....."FFS The sperm donor clinic was closed, what the hell am I supposed to do with this"

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am

2-1 to Town , the winning "streak" will continue...

Caption - Ian Holloway takes on the California reaper challenge

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am

Another excellent preview, ....... and get an ECG done anyway regarding the tense chest feeling. Knew a guy who had a tense chest feeling at a Hibs v Standard Liege Cup game....., first blamed on the Hibs, then blamed on the Masons spicy pies, ..... and then...... well that was it really!

They’ve got Nakhi Wells? sh*t. Had this for the home win, but if Wells plays, can the defence stop him? I’ll stick with the home win, 2-1 ITFC.

Referee / Steve McLaren combined caption:
(Its half time)
Player: What the FK is that smell?
Ref: It was him.
McLaren: Yeah, I’d give that 5 minutes.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 am

ITFC 2 : QPR 1

Heart says a win... head says a draw. I’ll go for heart.

Caption : Ian Holloway performing karaoke version of “Return of the Mack”. Unfortunately for him, QPR owners took him literally and replaced him with Steve McClaren.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:15 am

Caption: QPR in financial turmoil. QPR manager Ian Holloway forced to wear Millwall jacket due to cutbacks

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 pm

for me, it will be Normal Service Resumed.

Going for a 2-2 draw

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Caption Comp : Who the f*ck stole my LION BAR.....

Caption Comp: AHHHHHHH I said cold water not bloody frozen water it,s all ice.....

Caption Comp : ROOOOOOAR like a lion winner Ian Holloway when asked for a comment he said..
"I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me ROAR
Louder, louder than a lion...
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me ROAR! "

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Caption : Ian Holloway does his impression of how to be a complete C**T. And does it very well.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I am hoping for the winning ways to continue 2-0 to Town

Caption.... Come on guys lets not bottle it don't make me put water in my wine

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm

keep it going Boys 2-1

Caption... What's happened to my sample, someone has taken the p*ss

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Caption ‘finally got the seed out of my teeth’

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Onwards and upwards 4-0 town.

Caption comp.
Holloway auditions for the new opening credits for starsky and hutch

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 am

2-0 home win. We can't afford to lose this game and a draw is not really good enough.

Caption;

1, Andy Capp celebrates a rare Millwall victory.

2 that's the only England cap he has.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 am

"Ian forgot just how sensitive his teeth were before drinking from his frozen water bottle"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am

Just hope we can put the bad start to the season behind us and build on the great performance at Swansea, if we don’t and drop points v QPR that win will count for very little and we’ll be back at square 1.

I’m hopefull for a Town win but I can’t say I’m overly confident, that’s going to take more than one lucky win much against the run of play.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 pm

With another international weekend out the way I would hope to build on the recent success in South Wales. Even if there were an element of fortune to it i.e. maybe we got away with something that wasn't fully deserved but victory was just about imperative regardless of how it occurred.

Voted for a home team win, perhaps we'll get two without reply. Don't want a season of mid-league obscurity and wishing we were part of a promotion opportunity in all honesty when it's too late to be involved therefore further wins could provide a sense of belief. Just play to your abilities and show enough faith and determination, it's all anybody could ask.

Home 2 Visitors 0

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 pm

There’s no denying that we rode our luck against a better Swansea team, but don’t underestimate how we still dug in and never gave up. That’s not just luck... that’s great team spirit and we still believed we could win that game. The fact that the dressing room still seems to be together is why I’m still backing Hurst.

I can see a different game against QPR, where it won’t be so open. Hoping for a win... but think it will be a scruffy game, probably decided by the odd goal. Don’t care as long as win.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Great preview Again many thanks for the effort put in.I hope the run albeit of one game continues ....they have to start somewhere all those great runs teams sometimes go on.

Goals I fear will be hard to come by and the longer we go without a goal the more the fear factor will creep into our play. Lets be postive on this one as we really have to push on from our terrible start.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 pm

To say we were lucky at Swansea is just total crap, the same as we were unlucky against Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Villa, Norwich and Birmingham which for some went unnoticed.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm

See a tight game - Gwion or Andre settling it 1 0

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 pm
To say we were lucky at Swansea is just total crap, the same as we were unlucky against Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Villa, Norwich and Birmingham which for some went unnoticed.

Mike, Everything I read suggested we were very lucky not to have dead and buried and out of the game by half time, you said yourself that we were batterred for the first 45mins, Swansea manager referrered to being unlucky and missing loads of chances to bury the game after long periods of domination before our two quick goals against the run of play, Hurst referred to Town having to ride their luck ...etc etc etc

With all these comments banded around from many different quarters I’m surprised you find reference to luck as being total crap ?

I thought we all knew that luck comes in both forms “good and bad” which usually evens out over the season, not sure why you find this difficult to accept.

Hopefully tomorrow we can have some more luck and win again, I don’t give a f*ck how it happens so long as it brings three points, I’d much rather that happen than be on the receiving end of bad luck and lose.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Caption: "In a display of agility, Ian Holloway catches a cannon-fired bottle of frozen water."

ITFC 1 vs QPR 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Andy, yes we were battered for a large part of the first half at Swansea, fortunately there is Two halves to a game of football, second half we really gave it a go, shame you didn't see it to appreciate the effort the lads put in, any team scoring three away deservs to win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 am

I fully appreciated the effort the team put in Mike and even more the result, my point is had we not rode our luck in the first half we’d have been beaten out of sight in 45 mins and probably not had the resolve to fight back.

Anyway, onwards up upwards and no point looking back, today is all about how we deal with QPR at Pirtman Road which will be a challenge on its own given that their away form is better than our home form. I expect a 1-1 draw, anything better will be a bonus anything worse a disappointment.

Enjoy the game, as usual I will be following from afar but with no golf today it will be straight from kick off and not second half only.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Just setting off to Parkhead for Stinking Glasgow Bucket Raking Bastards United v The Edinburgh HIBEES....... not sure what to expect........ but hopefully some of the forumites experience the win today. ‘Mon the Cabbage & Ribs, and ‘Mon the Ipswich Town FC!

Gotta LOVE saturdays! Enjoy the day, W, L or D.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Anyone with a link or stream of todays game? 😀

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 pm

I don't care whether we were lucky or not against Swansea. Some say we were, some say that is rubbish. I don't care. A win is a win. This is a game we should be winning and the result against Swansea means our confidence should be sky high. 3-1 town.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Looks like the same team that started at Swansea.
Pennington RB and Donacien LB. Knudsen on the bench.

Don’t agree with the full backs, but good to see some consistency.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Oh dear already down.