McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm

I looked at the link that was posted by someone on here, (can't remember, Hallam maybe)? .... from the TWTD site. Had a scan through the comments section......., poster named "BelleVue" ---->> posted that there is no doubt KMcK has had an interview at Brighton. FML, SMH!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat May 25, 2024 3:45 pm

More of a 🔔-view??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 3:47 pm

You know what Marko, I'm not even concerned or influenced by most of this stuff online, it's the distinct lack of anything coming out of the club that frustrates me, I get some of it just can't be spoken about atm but some things can be said. I'm actually totally shocked that this has become an issue. I genuinely thought we had to go up to keep Mckenna but it's possibly made no difference, quite staggering.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 25, 2024 4:30 pm

The longer this drags on the more likely he will sign a new contract and stay at least for another season. If we get relegated I’d expect him to move on to another big job just as Vincent Company has with Town being suitably compensated.
There’s no doubt in my mind that McKenna is an exceptionally talented coach who is destined for great things and another year or so at Ipswich is unlikely to change that.
I’ll be surprised if McKenna has personally been interviewed by any other club yet and all contacts have most likely only been between the clubs and his agent / representatives.
As soon as anyone wants to talk to McKenna they will need the clubs permission and that’s when Town will need to make a statement. Until then this is nothing more than media speculation making headlines only because of McKenna’s meteoric rise from League One to the Premier League.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:30 pm
I’ll be surprised if McKenna has personally been interviewed by any other club yet and all contacts have most likely only been between the clubs and his agent / representatives.
As soon as anyone wants to talk to McKenna they will need the clubs permission and that’s when Town will need to make a statement. Until then this is nothing more than media speculation making headlines only because of McKenna’s meteoric rise from League One to the Premier League.
Word!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 4:30 pm
The longer this drags on the more likely he will sign a new contract and stay at least for another season. If we get relegated I’d expect him to move on to another big job just as Vincent Company has with Town being suitably compensated.
There’s no doubt in my mind that McKenna is an exceptionally talented coach who is destined for great things and another year or so at Ipswich is unlikely to change that.
You must be a Witch ( Worlock?) coz I was sitting here thinking just that! There’s nothing to report so there’s nothing from the club….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 25, 2024 4:43 pm

It's reassuring to read Charny and I hope you're right.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 25, 2024 5:06 pm

I’ve no idea if if I’m right or wrong Mike, I’m just trying to explain why the football club haven’t made a statement. The other statement they could make is confirmation that McKenna has signed a new contract. I expect one of these two situations will be the first time we hear officially from the football club.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 25, 2024 7:19 pm

I've not listened to it all yet, but the Blue Monday (youtube/podcast) guys are always very level and analytical, there latest epsidoe on the KM situation is a very good watch/listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_DLxj7XUQ

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:52 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:19 pm
I've not listened to it all yet, but the Blue Monday (youtube/podcast) guys are always very level and analytical, there latest epsidoe on the KM situation is a very good watch/listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_DLxj7XUQ
Thanks for posting! It’s worth a watch if you have the time. A lot of what I heard echoes my sentiments as far as is McKenna the right manager for Man Utd or Chelsea. From what I’ve heard, the podcaster’s also believe there are more sensible choices for those clubs in the form of Teuchal and Pochettino and perhaps Maresca. I say again, it doesn’t make sense for those clubs to appoint an inexperienced manager. Good discussion, give it a listen.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Sat May 25, 2024 7:55 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:39 am
rossi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:35 am
ITFC2024 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm
Just had a revelation, do we really want a manager who’s not committed to Ipswich Town? Not sure I want him to stay now.
He's a professional - if he stays then he'll be 100% committed to the club.
Agree, that post is just daft - seems to be a new poster on this forum - with some ‘interesting’ opinions.
Good point, but would he be committed mentally? Just a question, don’t want to sound “daft” again. :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm

He is an all in type of guy, so yes I believe he would be fine. He would also know he needs to continue to do well here if he wants to progress up the ladder later on.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:24 pm

Btw Shabba, retirement is like reading a closed book. The story has been recommended, but the plot is ambiguous. The only way to really know what the next chapter in your life will be, is to take life page by page. Trust me, you could write a novel about my life and experiences. My advice to anyone is live the best way you can, because death doesn’t give too many options.

Sorry wrong thread, just wanted to share.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm

ITFC2024 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:24 pm
Btw Shabba, retirement is like reading a closed book. The story has been recommended, but the plot is ambiguous. The only way to really know what the next chapter in your life will be, is to take life page by page. Trust me, you could write a novel about my life and experiences. My advice to anyone is live the best way you can, because death doesn’t give too many options.

Sorry wrong thread, just wanted to share.
Jaysus fkn Christ!! :shock:

FFS, McKenna……. Make a f**king decision! We’re all talking about the lack of options after death here! Show us the light , FFS!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Ha ha ha …. Those last two posts have cheered me up tonight. Thanks guys👍 x

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 pm

haha, indeed! Superb :D

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun May 26, 2024 2:39 am

As far as I'm concerned this whole business has cast a shadow over celebrating promotion and the expectation of what to look forward to next season. I am disappointed by the manager in particular: it seems that his comments about loving this Club & being very happy in his role appear to have been meaningless. If they were not, surely he would have been wise to come out & say so.

Don't misunderstand me, I think he deserves high praise for what he has achieved & he will no doubt go on to become a top manager. He should however also acknowledge the opportunities he has been given my ITFC by reiterating his earlier comments & put an end to all talk of him moving elsewhere. He still has my admiration, but not a lot else I'm afraid.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 7:50 am

Exactly my thoughts

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 7:57 am

I totally disagree. He is a superb manager and human, nothing had changed for me.

We gave him a chance and he has repaid it ten fold with the way he has taken us from league 1 to prem in back to back seasons.

I’m desperate for him to stay but I won’t hold it against him if he was to leave to better his career.

This is all likely driven by his agent doing his job, ie getting his client a better job or a better deal.

I don’t want to be harsh on people as I’m
Struggling to see what the issue is- so sorry if I’m coming across short or rude.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 26, 2024 8:10 am

I echo that completely - we paid him to manage the club and he achieved back to back promotions from L1 to the Premier League. The club benefits from the arrangement by all that the PL will bring in terms of revenue, KM benefits from his elevated reputation. So both parties win, and neither owes the other anything

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 26, 2024 9:42 am

I think the strain of waiting for news is getting to all the fan base right now (me included), so I just hope Ashton and Swartz can work their magic and get McKenna to agree to stay another year or two. This can’t go on much longer guys. The clubs reportedly interested in McKenna will be making announcements as to their new manager, but Town would have to make an announcement before that to avoid a reaction from our fans. I’m hoping we will be seeing a beaming Ashton sat next to McKenna putting pen to a new lucrative contract this coming week.

Fingers , legs, boobs all crossed!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 9:52 am

rossi wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:10 am
I echo that completely - we paid him to manage the club and he achieved back to back promotions from L1 to the Premier League. The club benefits from the arrangement by all that the PL will bring in terms of revenue, KM benefits from his elevated reputation. So both parties win, and neither owes the other anything
He also signed a contract, means nothing though to some.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 26, 2024 10:16 am

New contract was the reward from league one to Championship.

No news will come out until either all three clubs have managers or Ipswich know KM isn’t in the running and a new contract here is agreed and announced.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 26, 2024 11:01 am

Sounds like Chelsea may be looking elsewhere. Not sure about United taking another week to make their mind up about what they are going to do as the longer this drags on the more it leaves us in limbo. Next season is going to be hard enough without having this of will he or won’t he going on for a period of time.
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... om-mckenna

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 am

Lol, the plot thickens, just wait until Chelsea, Utd and Brighton get their new managers in place then sack him, apparently he owes us nothing so same the other way.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun May 26, 2024 11:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 am
Lol, the plot thickens, just wait until Chelsea, Utd and Brighton get their new managers in place then sack him, apparently he owes us nothing so same the other way.
Well as each day passes, I cannot help but feel he wants to go. It is very disrespectful to us as a club and a fan base. If he was 100% staying, he should say so but if he does not, you cannot help but think that he is NOT 100% committed. That is indeed a worry and would (as I have said before), mean that he is not the man I thought he was 2 weeks ago. That is a sad indictment of football I am afraid. Even if he comes out now and says he was never going anywhere anyway, I am afraid I just won't quite believe him as he could easily have said that 10 days ago. Also, I know his agent can do this or that but the fact is, if he is in fact 100% committed, why not say so - regardless of what his agent says? His tenure is tainted for me as a result and always will be. I feel sad to say that but its true.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun May 26, 2024 11:17 am

Btw - I still think he will not go but the lack of a statement tells me that he wants to if offered and he likes that offer..

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 26, 2024 11:31 am

I’m with Shabba. He’s done a great job here and both parties have benefited. Contracts are meaningless in this profession and are really only there to enable clubs to demand compensation.
Although I am fairly sure that KMK won’t be here next season, the three most interested clubs are having to make some decisions:
It looks like Chelsea are losing interest;
Brighton are wanting to appoint someone and won’t wait forever;
But Man U are unlikely to make a decision inside the next week regarding their current manager.
So potentially Brighton might go elsewhere and Man U stick with what they have.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 26, 2024 12:14 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:31 am
I’m with Shabba. He’s done a great job here and both parties have benefited. Contracts are meaningless in this profession and are really only there to enable clubs to demand compensation.
Although I am fairly sure that KMK won’t be here next season, the three most interested clubs are having to make some decisions:
It looks like Chelsea are losing interest;
Brighton are wanting to appoint someone and won’t wait forever;
But Man U are unlikely to make a decision inside the next week regarding their current manager.
So potentially Brighton might go elsewhere and Man U stick with what they have
And that's the whole point - so far he has not had a single offer to move on, and there's no guarantee one will be forthcoming.
Why worry about something that may well not happen?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 26, 2024 12:28 pm

I think the fact he most likely is holding out for something better is the biggest issue for most people, certainly with me, as Wilf says, it's that possible lack of 100% commitment to the cause that gives you a sense of let down, its made worse by his very own comments about the project etc. Something has definitely changed because he knew full well he would be sought after so its not come as a surprise, for me it can only be the lure of the club closest to his heart, Manchester United and that, again in my opinion, would be a monumental error on his part given how toxic that dressing room is reported to be.