JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Re: JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:25 pm

Obviously the 2 posters above were glad to jump on my comments without really digesting them.

I said IF nothing materialises - and to be fair, so far nothing has.

Maybe north of the border it is not considered incompetent to loan out your only striker (Jackson is not a striker) without having a deal done for a replacement - maybe this train of thought explains much about football north of the border? :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:26 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:25 pm
Maybe north of the border it is not considered incompetent to loan out your only striker (Jackson is not a striker) without having a deal done for a replacement - maybe this train of thought explains much about football north of the border? :wink:
On that again? 🤦‍♂️ :lol: Jaysus H.

Again, its been the best period in Towns history for 23 years…….. trust the folk in charge during this window.

No doubt you’ll remind people if it goes tits…… “you were wrong! Should’ve kept Freddie! Historic c*ck up!”

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:07 pm

Rossi has a point - IMO its just over stated.

However the 'noth of the border' thing is just daft talk.

COYB.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:40 pm

In fairness, I think most people on this forum have been critical of players and managers over the years. We all just want to succeed because we’re all devoted ITFC fans. Sometimes opinions vary, and that’s why this is a forum. Keep on posting the comments you want to as long as it’s not hate or threats of violence. I’m sure Frosty agrees.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 pm

Irrespective of anyone else's thoughts I personally find the release of Ladapo with bugger all replacement sorted weird, disappointing and stupid act, reading McKenna's comments on the matter today actually back those thoughts up for me, "we weighed it up and agreed Freddie needs to be playing games" that's either bull or stupid. I love McKenna and wouldn't want anyone else, the guy is fantastic, however he is still learning and not faultless.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:47 pm

Of course it's bull, it's the standard line when someone goes out on loan. He's played in 22 games this season, he's just not getting starts. No player who features in that many games is surplus, especially not after an injury. In my view Ladapo wanted to start games, and the only weighing up they needed to do was whether to grant that or make him stay against his wishes. There can be no other reason in my opinion.

I would be frustrated if I were Freddie, and I don't agree with those who say he just can’t cut it at this level, basing that view on cameo appearances. He's a player (like most players) that need a run of games to build their confidence and get their eye in. He's already scored 9 in a season for Rotherham in the Championship during a relegation season, that has to be worth 15 goals or more in a team at the other end of the table? So I don't find it baffling if he's not getting starts and he's put his foot down that he wants them, I just don't know how hard he put his foot down and whether he regrets that after Hirst's injury. I'm waffling, but that's my general opinion, it has to based on his desires, it makes no sense otherwise.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:02 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:47 pm
but that's my general opinion, it has to based on his desires, it makes no sense otherwise.
And thats what 9’s talking about re forums & opinions. That is indeed your opinion and others, but it makes perfect sense to me.
In my opinion……. he doesn’t cut it at Championship level. Going to have to probably go find something to back that up.
YES, all players look great or bad on YouTube reels, but the guy missed the target just way too many times for this level.
Going back North of the border, Ally McCoist was out for 10 months through injury back in 93. First game back, bagged a brace. He didn’t forget how to be a striker, he didn’t need to get “games under his belt”.
Lewandowski was similar many years back; injured, came back, started banging goals in from the off. Yes, Bundesliga but certainly all relative.
I hand on heart wish nothing but good things for Freddie, certainly hope the next chapter is prosperous, but happy he’s at Charlton.
And if it was “foot being put down” , then delighted KMcK granted his wish of regular football. 👌👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:03 pm

Yep, agree with most of that, he'd sure as hell be getting starts now, I don't believe anyone would be happy seeing Scarlett and Jackson start ahead of them given the same situation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:02 pm
Ricco wrote:
but that's my general opinion, it has to based on his desires, it makes no sense otherwise.
And thats what 9’s talking about re forums & opinions. That is indeed your opinion and others, but it makes perfect sense to me.
In my opinion……. he doesn’t cut it at Championship level. Going to have to probably go find something to back that up.
YES, all players look great or bad on YouTube reels, but the guy missed the target just way too many times for this level.
Going back North of the border, Ally McCoist was out for 10 months through injury back in 93. First game back, bagged a brace. He didn’t forget how to be a striker, he didn’t need to get “games under his belt”.
Lewandowski was similar many years back; injured, came back, started banging goals in from the off. Yes, Bundesliga but certainly all relative.
I hand on heart wish nothing but good things for Freddie, certainly hope the next chapter is prosperous, but happy he’s at Charlton.
And if it was “foot being put down” , then delighted KMcK granted his wish of regular football. 👌👍
And still he's the most prolific finisher at the club, 171 mins per goal, next best Broadhead with 206, Hirst whopping 280.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:06 pm
And still he's the most prolific finisher at the club, 171 mins per goal, next best Broadhead with 206, Hirst whopping 280.
Yup, I think that shows how much he values Hirst's efforts and other attributes. Hirst is in your face, Ladapo does his best work from the shadows. I can see the advantages of Hirst, but I don't think Hirst would often outscore Ladapo over a season in the Championship given equal opportunity.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:16 pm

Yes, there are other players missing the spotlight due to the striker issue…….. Chaplin, Morsy etc.
Especially Chaplin. Ipswich are no where close to sniffing 2nd spot in Feb without Chaplin.
Defo striker issue, not denying that, but, 🤦‍♂️, (in my opinion) Freddie is not the answer for success.

To be honest im getting really worried. Not just on here but other platforms; there are Town fans in a bit of unrest and i tell you, i do not get it. I really hope its not going to be damaging. One year ago since that Gas game and the work & effort put in has been mind boggling really.
For all that to be undone due to “the window” would be very unfortunate indeed.

A striker will arrive. Plenty time. And if a striker doesn’t arrive then the c*ck up (imo) is their lack of bringing in someone new because really do not believe Ladapo was going to be the difference maker anyway.

Exciting few days ahead. Mash & KMcK will be doing a few all nighters

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:21 pm

There is not a cats chance in hell of Ladapo leaving without McKenna having it covered.
A bit of patience required on here regarding deals, everything will happen soon and the mood of this page will change.
Can't quite believe some of the comments tbh.
But i guess we live in an age where some West Ham fans want rid of Davie Moyes !!!!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:06 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:02 pm
Ricco wrote:
Smaller sample size for Freddie - but I’d be interested to see the goal involvements for all players - ie goals AND assists, Hirst was great at assisting build up play.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:48 pm

I can’t believe what I’ve just read about Blackburn’s Sam Gallagher in talks with Tony Mowbray at Birmingham which would give them Jay Stansfield & Gallagher up front whilst we can’t get a striker. Please tell me this can’t be true, we must surely have someone lined up ? 🙏🙏🙏

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:12 pm

One of KM’s greatest strengths is his honesty when dealing with the media. Unless someone has proof to the contrary, then I see no reason to question his comments regarding FL’s loan. No doubt it was a finely balanced decision - but it’s one that would have been taken, acknowledging the worst (unlikely) case scenario of failing to bring someone in. Creating the headroom to do business against very tight FP rules, whilst allowing FL to get regular minutes elsewhere, whilst also recognising his past contribution, makes sense. MA/KM need the room to swash and buckle to improve us.

At present tensions seem to be getting heightened by the hour - reflected in robust comments and opinions! Of course the latter are like a**se holes - everyone’s got one!

Keep the faith and pour a small shandy - purely for medicinal purposes!😀

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:43 pm

I appreciate the positive comments and confidence that we will secure one or two strikers before the transfer window closes. My perception at the moment is that we’re having trouble competing with championship budgets and struggling with negotiations to keep us within ffp rules. I’ll reserve my shandy for an announcement of transfer activity that keeps us in the race for an amazing chance of being promoted to the Premier league. If it doesn’t happen, we’ll still have KM next season to identify the necessary assets to compete once again for promotion. I’m greedy and I really want promotion now, but everything is happening rather fast and I think we may end up needing to be patient for the next step…next season which in reality is perfectly plausible.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:58 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:43 pm
......but everything is happening rather fast and I think we may end up needing to be patient for the next step…next season which in reality is perfectly plausible.

Absolutely spot on.

Unless of course the unemployed, benefit draining, effigy burning, firestarters turn up at the training ground at 11am on a weekday --->> Management off to the highest bidder ----->> then feck all plausible other than a "rebuild". Which would be a shame.

Edit to add: Nothing directed at ANYONE on here. Some other Town forums can be properly ridiculous.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:05 pm

Agree No 9. Arguably, relative from where we came from, we have over-achieved, leading to a corresponding spike in expectations. KM has confirmed the challenges of operating in the transfer market, against FFP rules restrictions etc. My own, modest, hope at season start was to consolidate our place in the C’ship with solid team performances, that would provide a platform for future progress. Now those expectations extend, realistically, to being a play-off contender.

If, however we have to go again next season, my biggest concern is that we might have to do it without KM - who is ultimately destined for bigger things.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:22 pm

Dewsbury-Hall to Brighton £30m!
A big Oops for Leicester there I think..

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:48 pm
I can’t believe what I’ve just read about Blackburn’s Sam Gallagher in talks with Tony Mowbray at Birmingham which would give them Jay Stansfield & Gallagher up front whilst we can’t get a striker. Please tell me this can’t be true, we must surely have someone lined up ? 🙏🙏🙏
I am starting to get the feeling we’ve upset the Apple cart being in that top two, and some of these so called “ big clubs” aren’t liking it . The media and Sky certainly don’t.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 am

I don't think there are any comments on this forum that are anything other than that of concern and "IF" scenarios should we fail to sign anyone, certainly no burning of effigies or protests etc. In fact those that are of a more shall we say, accepting of the situation nature seem to be adopting a "oh well if we have to go again next season then so be it" attitude are coming across slightly defeatist of the fact we are in one hell of a good place, second !!

I've read on this forum for years now that had we strengthened under McCarthy when we went top at Brentford on Boxing Day we may well have gone up and in doing so avoided the sh*t fests that were Hurst, Lambert and Cook etc, the same surely applies here because we won't have McKenna for long trust me and we may have over achieved quicker than expected but we have and we need to try our damndest to make the most of, that is all I am concerned about.

Having said all that it's clearly also down to other clubs playing ball with us and our relative success so far could well be becoming a hindrance but when I read things like Birmingham are now in talks with Gallagher etc and Stansfield happy at Brum etc etc etc it is a bit alarming that we keep tossing up names that seem a bit plan C D or even E.

I am still very hopeful that Ashton and co will work their usual magic and come up trumps but until that happens I believe we are right as fans to have concerns at the moment, and that being said, as it stands the decision to let our only striker go, however good or bad you may think he is, looks a bit odd to say the least, I tend to agree that no way would we have done that without someone coning in, but maybe a deal of an incoming player fell through and this is where we are at. Hopefully not.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 am

Rak-Sakyi being linked again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 am

Yer, I saw that but honestly don’t think we need another winger now with Saramiento at the club …. It’s a couple of number 9’s we need… think we might be lucky to get one now as clubs know we’re desperate and are hoofing the price up! We either pay up and suck it up or make do with what we have got and accept dropping into play offs ….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:29 am

We could do worse than enquire about Devante Cole, having a fab season at Barnsley and I liked what I saw of him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Good post , Mike and hand up here 🙋‍♂️ to having a “go ahead next season” approach. Guilty.
Mainly because i’d posted in a thread last August that consolidation would be superb……. No one knew KMcK & Co would start playing “you score 3, we score 4” football. Its been very Robson / Royle esque and its superb. Its another reason why I feel a confidence that Mashton will get another striker; to maintain that “we score more” mentality.

You make a great point re McCarthy era and not strengthening. At the time, I was very vocal at a missed trick there by Mevans. But struggling to tie the two scenarios together in this window. Its an entirely different scenario (imo). From memory; during that time, the general concensus was, “dont care how we win, just win”…… i think it was only AndyM who wanted to see attractive football.
I think the management & owners DO actually care how the club wins. They’re wanting the right man in through the door. If they’ve f*cked up and the club have Jackson, (Rossi’s non striker guy) until the end of the season, then they’ll need to answer a couple of questions.

Opinion alert, but its a hypothetical …… if ipswich dont go up autos, and fail P/offs, for me, it’d be zero to do with Freddie @ Charlton.
Its funny how you & i rate the Freddies……. Sears / Ladapo. Thats why the soccer is hours of fun discussing. 👍👌

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 am
…… It’s a couple of number 9’s we need…
😳 TB.com no9’s? Nooooooo!

Joking 9 🍻

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:58 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 am
…… It’s a couple of number 9’s we need…
😳 TB.com no9’s? Nooooooo!

Joking 9 🍻
I mostly played as a #10 during my playing years; it’s a long story why I picked #9 as my handle which I won’t go into…But N0, you don’t want two 9s!! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:14 pm

Re Freddie Ladapo’s influence marko. Town are 2nd in the league snd have been almost all season. Freddie has had almost zero influence in that. What he did do was help us get promoted from League One where he was very influential, and the reason for that is because that’s his ceiling / level of influence. Rotherham also got rid of him when they were in the CC . None of this is s poor reflection on FL. It is what it is. The person we are missing in terms of his influence in attack is young George Hirst!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am

Don’t know why, but I’m starting to get the feeling Town will be getting this Wimbledon striker & Gallagher. I think we’ll have to up our offer for the Wimbledon striker though.

Hopefully we get some positive news by Tuesday 🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:01 pm

If we do we need Gallagher to do a "Hirst" as in not a great goal threat but offers much in other areas.