Uefa to discuss Bosman drawbacks

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Uefa to discuss Bosman drawbacks

Post by Dazza » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm

Uefa is looking to act on the "negative" consequences of the Bosman ruling on the 10th anniversary of the landmark court case.
Officials will meet with the European Union to discuss a way forward.

Training young players, importing them from outside Europe and the growing gap between rich and poor clubs are all cited as problems with the ruling.

Uefa director general Lars-Christer Olsson said: "We are going to fight the negative effects of the ruling."

Jean-Marc Bosman brought his famous action when his club RFC Liege refused to allow him to join French side Dunkerque because they could not agree a transfer fee, even though the player's contract had expired.

Consequently, players were allowed to move for free after their deals were completed and restrictions on the number of players from different EU countries were also scrapped.

However, Olsson believes this has led to other problems he wants to sort out.

He said: "The Bosman ruling is not the cause of all the problems in football but it took away certain structures that football officials had put in place."

High-profile players such as Sol Campbell and Steve McManaman have used the ruling to move on free transfers since it came in.

Campbell let his contract run out at Tottenham before moving to arch-rivals Arsenal in 2001 and McManaman did the same when leaving Liverpool to join Real Madrid.

Real are also expected to be at the centre of a high-profile Bosman transfer this summer, with Michael Ballack seemingly set to leave Bayern Munich for free, possibly to join the Bernabeu club.
I cant work out if this is a good or bad thing for a club like Ipswich... :?

Riviera

Re: Uefa to discuss Bosman drawbacks

Post by Riviera » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:57 am

Dazza wrote:
Uefa is looking to act on the "negative" consequences of the Bosman ruling on the 10th anniversary of the landmark court case.
Officials will meet with the European Union to discuss a way forward.

Training young players, importing them from outside Europe and the growing gap between rich and poor clubs are all cited as problems with the ruling.

Uefa director general Lars-Christer Olsson said: "We are going to fight the negative effects of the ruling."

Jean-Marc Bosman brought his famous action when his club RFC Liege refused to allow him to join French side Dunkerque because they could not agree a transfer fee, even though the player's contract had expired.

Consequently, players were allowed to move for free after their deals were completed and restrictions on the number of players from different EU countries were also scrapped.

However, Olsson believes this has led to other problems he wants to sort out.

He said: "The Bosman ruling is not the cause of all the problems in football but it took away certain structures that football officials had put in place."

High-profile players such as Sol Campbell and Steve McManaman have used the ruling to move on free transfers since it came in.

Campbell let his contract run out at Tottenham before moving to arch-rivals Arsenal in 2001 and McManaman did the same when leaving Liverpool to join Real Madrid.

Real are also expected to be at the centre of a high-profile Bosman transfer this summer, with Michael Ballack seemingly set to leave Bayern Munich for free, possibly to join the Bernabeu club.
I cant work out if this is a good or bad thing for a club like Ipswich... :?
put it this way, tommy miller and shefki would still be at town if there was no bosman ruling, the clubs i feel for the most are the lower league clubs, they're stitched up left right and center most of the time anyway but the bosman ruling really hit hard, lower transfer fees are recieved because buying clubs juts bide their time and wait for contracts to run out

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 am

This could be the best news ever for a club like Town!!

It should mean that players actually have a real transfer value - so we would see our young talented players actually making good money again!!

I think Football clubs need to take some power back - because the power has been in the hand of players and agents the past 8 years we have seen alot of clubs taken to the brink - ourselves included!!

The integrity and longevity of the club should come before any player and the PFA should be the ones helping players out with the amount of money thrown at them each year!!!

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:02 am

the-mole wrote:This could be the best news ever for a club like Town!!
In the long term I agree, as our youngsters cant be stolen. But it worried me that we wont be able to get anyone in eithier. But then I guess if we're getting money for our youngsters we'll be able to buy people.

I guess its swings and roundabouts!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:48 am

Personally I think that players shouldn't be allowed to get out of contract so long as the club is offerring at least the same again for renewal. Unless they agree mutually, (this used to be called a 'free transfer' arrangement). Of course if a player doesn't like his new contract offer he can always make it clear to his agent that he is looking for another club and if necessary any apparently silly transfer fee can go to tribunal. Contracts that are not longer should be seen as one year rolling contracts until they are terminated by mutual consent.

Rach

Post by Rach » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:30 am

DEFINATELY a good thing...without Bosmons we wouldnt have got DeVos...lol

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:36 am

Dazza wrote:
the-mole wrote:This could be the best news ever for a club like Town!!
In the long term I agree, as our youngsters cant be stolen. But it worried me that we wont be able to get anyone in eithier. But then I guess if we're getting money for our youngsters we'll be able to buy people.

I guess its swings and roundabouts!
True Dazza!!

It would give our talent more value and perhaps discourage the sale of highly prized assets!! Whilst we wouldn't be able to sign any old free transfer I feel this would work in our favour!!

The best free transfers to come in over the past 4 years have been Kelvin Davis and Sito!! The rest haven't really come up to standard!!