Wigan To Bid For Price?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Himple

Wigan To Bid For Price?

Post by Himple » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:54 am

Wigan Athletic are believed to have turned their attention to Ipswich Town goalkeeper Lewis Price, after being warned off a bid for Hull City stopper Boaz Myhill.

Latics boss Paul Jewell is keen on bringing in a goalkeeper in January, and had initially targeted former Aston Villa youngster Myhill.

However, Tigers boss Peter Taylor has no intention of selling the player unless a bid is made in excess of £2million.

Jewell is unwilling to pay that amount, and is now thought to be tracking 21-year-old Welsh international Price, who has been on excellent form this term.

Cash-strapped Ipswich may be more willing to do business, with reserve goalkeeper Shane Supple ready to replace Price if necessary.

:shock: :(

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:57 am

EXCELLENT NEWS £2 million id bite there bloody hand off, Price out Wright In

Himple

Post by Himple » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:00 am

considering that Wright is getting into the Everton team more, i dunno if we could get him.

I would think they would get 1m, let alone 2m :(

toby

Post by toby » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:02 am

Jonno wrote:EXCELLENT NEWS £2 million id bite there bloody hand off, Price out Wright In
£2million is the price (no pun intended) that Taylor has put on his keeper not the offer we would get for Price.

I'd be very surprised if we were offered more than £1million for him even with him now being an international keeper.

Still I reckon that if we did get a reasonable sum for him we could fairly easily pick up a decent, experienced keeper (someone like Shaka Hislop) who could help to bring Supple through (as I'm not sure he's ready to become no.1 just yet).

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:09 am

Wigan actually have more funds than most clubs!! So Paul Jewel doesn't want to pay £2m - well who is to say he is going to pick up Lewis for feck all??

So we sell him for £1m - get about £300,000 for a replacement - someone like shaka who is past his best and whose wages would probably be 3 times as much - don't want to sound negative but this is the ideal chance for our board to go out and make a statement about their intentions!!

Whether you would sell him or not for whatever - the board need to go out and say that Lewis is a fine young goalkeeper with a tremendous future ahead of him both in club and international football - anyone wishing to purchase will have to pay a very sizeable sum as WE DON'T NEED TO SELL OUR PLAYERS!!! This would set a precedent for every other player sale which might occur in the future!!

If these boys are to sold then get top dollar for them!!! Every other club in the country squeeze as much out of the transfers as they can - it is about time we got some backbone and started playing the same game!!

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:16 am

I think Supple is just as good, if we can get £1m for him then we're laughing!

Get a couple of half a million poiund players and up the football league we go!

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 am

Dazza wrote:I think Supple is just as good, if we can get £1m for him then we're laughing!

Get a couple of half a million poiund players and up the football league we go!
I would love it to happen chap - however for one I don't think we would get the whole money to spend on players. Plus two players of that money would increase the wages significantly.

It seems there isn't a good solution to anything anymore :cry: :cry:

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:44 pm

havn't Wigan got 3 keepers already? including one who was ment to be highly rated :?

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:04 pm

if we could get £1mil and one of their keepers, that would b a gd deal, as dazza says, i think Supple is probably just as good as price!

Mork

Re: Wigan To Bid For Price?

Post by Mork » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:35 pm

Himple_ITFC wrote:Wigan Athletic are believed to have turned their attention to Ipswich Town goalkeeper Lewis Price, after being warned off a bid for Hull City stopper Boaz Myhill.

Latics boss Paul Jewell is keen on bringing in a goalkeeper in January, and had initially targeted former Aston Villa youngster Myhill.

However, Tigers boss Peter Taylor has no intention of selling the player unless a bid is made in excess of £2million.

Jewell is unwilling to pay that amount, and is now thought to be tracking 21-year-old Welsh international Price, who has been on excellent form this term.

Cash-strapped Ipswich may be more willing to do business, with reserve goalkeeper Shane Supple ready to replace Price if necessary.

:shock: :(
Any offer above £500,000 and bite their hands off. Supple will do just fine.

Fully

Post by Fully » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:36 pm

If we sell Price we HAVE (no we coulds) i repeat HAVE to buy another keeper.

We have supple...whos our second keeper then? Petursson a 17 year old?

No thanks. id rather an experienced keeper, than a couple of youngsters

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm

Fully wrote:If we sell Price we HAVE (no we coulds) i repeat HAVE to buy another keeper.

We have supple...whos our second keeper then? Petursson a 17 year old?

No thanks. id rather an experienced keeper, than a couple of youngsters
Right with you there Fully, let's not forget that problem we had with Price out injured at the early part of the season...

£500,000 is good money, but we're not in such a bad financial situation that we need to shoot ourselves in the foot.

toby

Post by toby » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:52 pm

VictaLawnMower wrote:£500,000 is good money, but we're not in such a bad financial situation that we need to shoot ourselves in the foot.
And even if we did, with our strikers we'd probably miss.