Does anyone else not find it suspicious....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Lewis

Does anyone else not find it suspicious....

Post by Lewis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:30 am

That Burnley's game is set to go ahead today yet a mere 14-15 miles north west Preston's game has been called off? I don't understand it, conditions can't be drastically worse in that small distance apart surely?!!

I smell a rat at the moment, what with all the suspensions and injuries Preston had, they did absolutely jack sh*t to try and get the game on... :? :evil:

1978greats

Re: Does anyone else not find it suspicious....

Post by 1978greats » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:34 am

Lewis wrote:That Burnley's game is set to go ahead today yet a mere 14-15 miles north west Preston's game has been called off? I don't understand it, conditions can't be drastically worse in that small distance apart surely?!!

I smell a rat at the moment, what with all the suspensions and injuries Preston had, they did absolutely jack sh*t to try and get the game on... :? :evil:
Lewis I did yesterday too....but having just seen the picture of the pitch at Deepdale I'm not so convinced :? although with the weather conditions forcast in advance couldnt they have taken precautions.....still not sure to tell the truth, but the pitch was under several inches of snow :roll:

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:43 am

1978greats wrote:
Lewis wrote:That Burnley's game is set to go ahead today yet a mere 14-15 miles north west Preston's game has been called off? I don't understand it, conditions can't be drastically worse in that small distance apart surely?!!

Lewis I did yesterday too....but having just seen the picture of the pitch at Deepdale I'm not so convinced :? although with the weather conditions forcast in advance couldnt they have taken precautions.....still not sure to tell the truth, but the pitch was under several inches of snow :roll:
But I'm sure Burnley's pitch has had the same amount of snowfall, the difference being their groundsmen have probably been working on clearing the pitch around the clock while Preston just gave up.

Just seems too convenient on a day when they would have their weakest squad for some time in a very important game...

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:46 am

Lewis wrote:
1978greats wrote:

But I'm sure Burnley's pitch has had the same amount of snowfall, the difference being their groundsmen have probably been working on clearing the pitch around the clock while Preston just gave up.
Just seems too convenient on a day when they would have their weakest squad for some time in a very important game...
i was thinking the same thing, how hard where they really trying to make the pich ready :roll:

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:58 am

There's a safety review at Burnley at 1pm.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:01 am

see my response under the post "game off" , Lewis !...how the barstewards have got away with this beats me !!

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:50 am

I think they called it off too early! perhaps should have had a look about 7-8am this morning.

I think after that newcastle v charlton game every1 is gonna call games off early if there is a lot of travelling involved

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:17 am

who are Burnley playing? do they have to travel as far as our fans? i doubt it, people would be going nuts if they had set off for preston only for the game to get called off just before kick off, at least this way no one has wasted any money trying to get there

Lewis

Post by Lewis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:19 am

Riviera wrote:who are Burnley playing? do they have to travel as far as our fans? i doubt it, people would be going nuts if they had set off for preston only for the game to get called off just before kick off, at least this way no one has wasted any money trying to get there
Burnley are playing Reading, quite a trek also a good 3-4 hours which is not much more than Ipswich to Preston.

Just can't believe that Preston did their utmost to make the game playable...

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:22 am

Lewis wrote:
Riviera wrote:who are Burnley playing? do they have to travel as far as our fans? i doubt it, people would be going nuts if they had set off for preston only for the game to get called off just before kick off, at least this way no one has wasted any money trying to get there
Burnley are playing Reading, quite a trek also a good 3-4 hours which is not much more than Ipswich to Preston.

Just can't believe that Preston did their utmost to make the game playable...
lewis mate, did u seen the weather conditions on TV yesterday??? im suprised any games have gone ahead today, calling the game off as a precaution was a very good idea, nothing worse than travelling 4 or 5 hours for a game to get called off

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:31 am

Vaughan8 wrote:I think they called it off too early! perhaps should have had a look about 7-8am this morning.
I think after that newcastle v charlton game every1 is gonna call games off early if there is a lot of travelling involved
If the weather was anything like it was in Chester this morning at that time (and it was forecast to be better here than in Preston) then they would have been standing in a blizzard :shock:

Having said that - its now a really nice day with temperatures up to 7 degrees and the sun shining.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:06 pm

It's ok for all you people who don't travel to away games, you sit in your armchairs in the warm and still bloody moan.

I'm glad they called the game off yesterday rather than when I was on the way to Preston :wink:

ippers

Post by ippers » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Yeah we had Parkin, Forster, lee and Fuller unavailable today, so the chances of wnning weren't very high :wink:

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:29 pm

I think at the end of the day that the postponement will work well for both of us. We both had depleted squads where it really matters, and at the end of the day, Preston now have THREE games in hand!

Norfolk Tractor Boy

Post by Norfolk Tractor Boy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:59 pm

Gaz wrote:It's ok for all you people who don't travel to away games, you sit in your armchairs in the warm and still bloody moan.

I'm glad they called the game off yesterday rather than when I was on the way to Preston :wink:
Thing is though many of us won't be able to make it up there on a tuesday night now!!!

crazee

Post by crazee » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:27 pm

ill admit it is odd, that Burnley went ahead but im fairly sure they cover the pitch, youd think preston could afford a large sheet if Burnley can :roll:

but then again i can see the logic in calling it off in advance, did Burnley have a pitch inspection?

Fully

Post by Fully » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Yeah, Burnley had inspection at 1pm

WINDOWFITTER (PNE)

Post by WINDOWFITTER (PNE) » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 pm

crazee wrote:ill admit it is odd, that Burnley went ahead but im fairly sure they cover the pitch, youd think preston could afford a large sheet if Burnley can :roll:

but then again i can see the logic in calling it off in advance, did Burnley have a pitch inspection?
Burnley have under soil heating, Preston dont.

Mike

Aluren

Post by Aluren » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:15 am

WINDOWFITTER (PNE) wrote:
crazee wrote:ill admit it is odd, that Burnley went ahead but im fairly sure they cover the pitch, youd think preston could afford a large sheet if Burnley can :roll:

Mike
That would definitely explain it then.

Thanks

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 am

WINDOWFITTER (PNE) wrote:

Mike
I would of thought Preston would of had undersoil heating! Very surprising!