Home internationals.....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Home internationals.....

Post by loudnproud » Sun May 07, 2006 4:22 am

For those of us who remember the "Home Internationals", England playing Scotland,Ireland,Wales and Northern Ireland. Just how much would you like them to return?
I felt that these matches were important for morale and gave many an up and comming player an insight onto the international stage befor a major tornament.

With the success of the six nations rugby,Im sure that their is still a place for the Home internationals to return. I hope that with the compleation of Wembley stadium on the horizon,a return of this sporting fixture will return

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun May 07, 2006 4:39 am

I remember them and loved them as a kid,but it will never ever happen again,simply because theres no money it those games and the overpaid superstars on the scene today think they play far too many games as it is.Where else would you see wales giving england a run for their money.......then again we lost to northern island in a real match :oops: :roll: .

ATB

Re: Home internationals.....

Post by ATB » Sun May 07, 2006 5:27 am

loudnproud wrote:For those of us who remember the "Home Internationals", England playing Scotland,Ireland,Wales and Northern Ireland. Just how much would you like them to return?
I felt that these matches were important for morale and gave many an up and comming player an insight onto the international stage befor a major tornament.

With the success of the six nations rugby,Im sure that their is still a place for the Home internationals to return. I hope that with the compleation of Wembley stadium on the horizon,a return of this sporting fixture will return
I would love to see an anual one off match of England v Australia... all Australian International players are based in Europe anyway.. so playing in London isn't a problem..

I could see it becoming another great tradition like the Ashes!

TractorRob

Post by TractorRob » Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 am

ATB wrote:
loudnproud wrote:For those of us who remember the "Home Internationals", England playing Scotland,Ireland,Wales and Northern Ireland. Just how much would you like them to return?

I would love to see an anual one off match of England v Australia... all Australian International players are based in Europe anyway.. so playing in London isn't a problem..

Does Aaron Downes play in the Australia international team?

ATB

Post by ATB » Sun May 07, 2006 7:55 am

TractorRob88 wrote:
ATB wrote:

Does Aaron Downes play in the Australia international team?
I've never heard of him so no!

Who does he play for?

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Sun May 07, 2006 8:02 am

Aaron Downes plays for Chesterfield I think... I'm not even sure if he's broken into the U21's yet, Rob.

As for an annual Australia v England friendly, that'd be just awesome if ti could be orchestrated.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Sun May 07, 2006 8:07 am

I think the only reason they shopped them and didnt have anymore was because of the amount of trouble at the games, If england played scotland or any of the home nations it would go off, and its not worth the hassle

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun May 07, 2006 8:46 am

You may be right Jonno!!! However football has returned back to its familey atmosphere and i believe that the respective FA's should reinstate the home internationals.

Jonno

Post by Jonno » Sun May 07, 2006 8:49 am

last time we played scotland, Wales and Rep Of Ireland there was loads of trouble, i dont think they will play in friendlys for a hell of a long time, unless its a charity game or a testimoanial for a legendary player

TractorRob

Post by TractorRob » Sun May 07, 2006 12:12 pm

VictaLawnMower wrote:Aaron Downes plays for Chesterfield I think... I'm not even sure if he's broken into the U21's yet, Rob.

As for an annual Australia v England friendly, that'd be just awesome if ti could be orchestrated.
Yeh cause hes an absolute liabilty so its good for you he isnt. Im sure Ive seen a clip of him geting megged playing for Aussies thats why.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Sun May 07, 2006 12:51 pm

id love to see the home internationals again but alas the days when a player played for his country simply for pride are long gone, u even get paid for playing for ur country now, which to me is shocking

England v Australia sounds good, but it will never happen with the amount of games that are played these days

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Mon May 08, 2006 1:05 am

Riviera wrote:id love to see the home internationals again but alas the days when a player played for his country simply for pride are long gone, u even get paid for playing for ur country now, which to me is shocking

England v Australia sounds good, but it will never happen with the amount of games that are played these days
your'e sadly true aswell on this.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 am

ATB wrote:

It might be, but it would never be as big or good a tradition as England v Scotland.

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 am

Riviera wrote:id love to see the home internationals again but alas the days when a player played for his country simply for pride are long gone, u even get paid for playing for ur country now, which to me is shocking

I honestly think you've hit the nail on the head there, Riv. Things in football have changed over the last 20 - 30 years, for better or worse.

As for the Home Internationals, from an outsiders perspective I think it's a little archaic. I know there's a lot of valuable history there, but at this point in professional football, with FIFA sactioned international match days and what not, would you honestly rather see England v N. Ireland or Wales, or would you rather see England v Argentina, Germany, France (or even Australia for argument's sake)?

ATB

Post by ATB » Mon May 08, 2006 8:36 am

rossi wrote:
ATB wrote:

It might be, but it would never be as big or good a tradition as England v Scotland.
Yeah for you guys probably not.. but for us we have no other country that we could say we have any meaningful ties with that plays football! So we'd love to see it! :D

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 am

ATB wrote:
rossi wrote:
ATB wrote: I would love to see an anual one off match of England v Australia... all Australian International players are based in Europe anyway.. so playing in London isn't a problem..

Yeah for you guys probably not.. but for us we have no other country that we could say we have any meaningful ties with that plays football! So we'd love to see it! :D
Well... except New Zealand... :roll: