To All the Moaners re Bent and the England Squad

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Tue May 09, 2006 3:59 pm

Harry Redknapp or Steve Coppell :D

DeIpswich

Re: To All the Moaners re Bent and the England Squad

Post by DeIpswich » Tue May 09, 2006 4:00 pm

Dazza wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
DeIpswich wrote: TOTALLY AGREE!
Sorry have to disagree wid ya on this one ..being"forgien" didnt stop Bobby Robson gaining honours for PSV or the Portugal side...or the Chelski manager wiping the board again this season (I know it's Club level - but your argument is flawed)
I disagree with you.

If I was the manager of lets say PSV, I would love to play an English club and spank them. But if I was the manager of Holland and we played England I really wouldnt want Holland to win. My heart wouldnt be in it.
Probably why we don't do very well against Sweden Lol :wink:

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Tue May 09, 2006 4:54 pm

hallamblue wrote::lol: :lol: we'll agree to disagree then ! :wink: thats the beauty of a democratic Board Dazza - we can all have our opinions and voice them to one another - if we all agreed on everything it would be a boring old world eh ?
I disagree and agreeing... :lol:

But I agree that disagreeing to agree is the best way to do things.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Dazza wrote:
hallamblue wrote::lol: :lol: we'll agree to disagree then ! :wink: thats the beauty of a democratic Board Dazza - we can all have our opinions and voice them to one another - if we all agreed on everything it would be a boring old world eh ?
I disagree and agreeing... :lol:

But I agree that disagreeing to agree is the best way to do things.[/quote

You 'lil ol sweet talker, you ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Tue May 09, 2006 6:35 pm

ask urselves this question

if u are as passionate as i am and i think most of u are towards england, and u were the manager of another country going into a semi final of the world cup v's england what would ur thoughts be? u'd be on the opposition team and ur own national anthem is being played, do u sing? do u ignore it?

well i know for a fact id want england to win and i wouldnt be able to ignore my/our national anthem, because its the country where i was born and raised, its the country i love, its the country id fight and die for

so in answer to everyones argument, yes the england manager should be english

sven IMHO has done a great job, but seriously lacked the passion and commitment where it really matters, ie: brazil in the last world cup

uefacup81

Post by uefacup81 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:07 am

Where's Rossi gone!? :lol: :wink:

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Wed May 10, 2006 5:56 am

I don't buy all this english manager for the english team garbage!!!

Has anyone ever heard the reasons why Sven wanted to be Englands manager?? It was because England is the home of football - it was a bigger job than managing Sweden!!!

People generally want to be involved with the heart and home of football, they want to manage their side at wembley!!

While us fans might have immense pride and passion - footballers and those involved do not share the same pride and passion. To them it is a job, one they are supposed to do in the most professional fashion!!! You say your heart wouldn't be in playing against your home nation - well I beg to differ - unless you are an englishman.

Managers like players are becoming mercenaries - you pay high prices for their services and as such they give you the best service possible. They detach themselves from the emotional aspect of the game and focus on the job that is needed. Besides the manager is not all to blame - the players and rest of the coaching staff are as much to blame as one man!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 10, 2006 7:31 am

the-mole wrote:I don't buy all this english manager for the english team garbage!!!

Has anyone ever heard the reasons why Sven wanted to be Englands manager?? It was because England is the home of football - it was a bigger job than managing Sweden!!!

People generally want to be involved with the heart and home of football, they want to manage their side at wembley!!

While us fans might have immense pride and passion - footballers and those involved do not share the same pride and passion. To them it is a job, one they are supposed to do in the most professional fashion!!! You say your heart wouldn't be in playing against your home nation - well I beg to differ - unless you are an englishman.

Managers like players are becoming mercenaries - you pay high prices for their services and as such they give you the best service possible. They detach themselves from the emotional aspect of the game and focus on the job that is needed. Besides the manager is not all to blame - the players and rest of the coaching staff are as much to blame as one man!
couldnt agree with you more - moley !! :wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 am

uefacup81 wrote:Rossi, you're being a closed-minded idiot here. It's not a case of Sven being foreign; I'm sure if it was someone like Scolari, the squad would be totally different. You're making a huge f*cking generalisation if you're saying that all foreign managers would be bad for England - give it some thought next time mate.
Don't call me an idiot and your mate in the same post. Yeah - I'm saying that any foreign manager would be bad for England - I then go on to qualify that by saying that I don't believe anybody is professional enough to put their job above their country. Just so as you can understand that, it means that I think a Swede in charge of an England team playing Sweden would have divided loyalties. As would any other nationality.
And you tell me to 'give it some thought'? I'm all for constructive criticism - it's what makes the world go round. But maybe you should have taken your head out of your backside before applying yours??

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed May 10, 2006 8:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
rossi wrote:That's what you get when you have a foreign manager.

And to think that most of you on here wanted another one.

Sven picked his squad on the advice of a Frenchman. It's priceless, you couldn't write the script, it could only ever happen here.

I say again, Britain for the British.
...dont tell me you have a nice big photo of Hitler on your wall, a pair of Jack boots in the cupboard and Swastica wallpaper...and probably vote National front ! :roll:

Sven 's credentials prior to being given the England job were probably the best around at the time(and he was agood choice).

You dont have to be English to be a competent coach. The fact that we fail to have English coaches coaching at the highest domestic level is down to the top Clubs in this land.failing to employ them...and ..if you want to find inadequacies in English football - look no further than the FA who undoubatably had some "political"influence over the selection of a boy who has yet to play at Prem level ! another "bung" by officals at the top level I suspect !

FACT: Darrebn Bent IS the top English goal scorer in the Premiership - he has therfore IMO "earned" his place in the squad. The reasons for him not getting it lay I suspect between certain Arsenal Board members' influence within the FA and Sven.
I don't think my political views have got anything to do with you - and you certainly don't have the right to speculate about them on a public message board :evil: :evil: That remark is totally out of order - you might think you're being clever (although I doubt anybody else will) - and you really don't know the half of what you're saying.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed May 10, 2006 8:34 am

rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Sven picked his squad on the advice of a Frenchman. It's priceless, you couldn't write the script, it could only ever happen here.

...dont tell me you have a nice big photo of Hitler on your wall, a pair of Jack boots in the cupboard and Swastica wallpaper...and probably vote National front ! :roll:

Sven 's credentials prior to being given the England job were probably the best around at the time(and he was agood choice).

You dont have to be English to be a competent coach. The fact that we fail to have English coaches coaching at the highest domestic level is down to the top Clubs in this land.failing to employ them...and ..if you want to find inadequacies in English football - look no further than the FA who undoubatably had some "political"influence over the selection of a boy who has yet to play at Prem level ! another "bung" by officals at the top level I suspect !

FACT: Darrebn Bent IS the top English goal scorer in the Premiership - he has therfore IMO "earned" his place in the squad. The reasons for him not getting it lay I suspect between certain Arsenal Board members' influence within the FA and Sven.
I don't think my political views have got anything to do with you - and you certainly don't have the right to speculate about them on a public message board :evil: :evil: That remark is totally out of order - you might think you're being clever (although I doubt anybody else will) - and you really don't know the half of what you're saying.

He didnt deny it Hallam :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed May 10, 2006 8:57 am

Please stick to the subject folks without getting personal.

We all agree that everyone is entitled to an opinon. Thats as
far as the discussions need to go.

Lets not rip the thread apart, the idea is to get opinions and
thats it..

Thanks

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed May 10, 2006 9:22 am

Quite right EB. Come on chaps & chapesses. I know that some of you like Rossi-baiting on here (& to some extent he seems to enjoy it himself) but all this swostika & jackboots stuff is a bit OTT to say the least.

Rossi has an interesting point. I think that instictively I don't want to agree with it but also I don't think it's so easy to say. Can anyone think of some examples of suspect management by national managers against their national team ?

Or for that matter inspired management that proves Rossi wrong ?

I can't - but I am sure there are better footballing brains out there than mine.
Last edited by Dubai Blue on Wed May 10, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Wed May 10, 2006 11:26 am

rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

If some of this rubbish said about Rossi is serious and not a pee take, then its offensive! It seriously pisses me off when anyone showing a bit of national pride, or dares to voice their concerns at how "foreign" our country is, is automatically branded a Nazi!