Tommy Miller - a few facts

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

N1blue

Tommy Miller - a few facts

Post by N1blue » Thu May 11, 2006 9:27 am

In a post under the topic "Miller's third time?" I said that I thought people might be over-estimating when they said or implied that most of Miller's goals came from penalties. And I said I thought that, contrary to what seems to be widely beliveved he wasn't a "mad keen" Sunderland fan. Having seen these claims repeated (and being a spod with nothing better to do), I thought I'd go back and check some facts.

GOALS - Miller scored 15 in the 1004/05 season, 13 in league, 1 each in CCup (V Brentford) and FA Cup (V Bolton). Six of the league goals were from penalties, meaning seven in the league plus the two cup goals were scored from outfield. Not exactly Frank Lampard but a bit more than "pretty average". The same number would have made him our top scorer this season. While I was checking, I watched a few of those goals on the official site and they reminded me how he used to burst in to the box, pick up a lay-off and shoot (how often this year did we wish somebody had the guts to do that?), score and then go on some stupid celebration. Does anybody else remember the snooker shot, the press-ups, the broken nose and the Soccer AM clapping?!

SUPPORTING SUNDERLAND - See the interview in TWTD issue 77. "I wasn't actually a Sunderland supporter as a kid, but I had a bit of a liking for them, I wasn't a mad keen Mackem fan but we're from near there, between Sunderland and Hartlepool, so they were my local team." So he had a soft spot for them maybe, but they certainly were not the club "he adored as a kid."

CONTRACT OFFER - Despite playing a key part in the best midfield in the league that year, Miller wasn't offered a contract until the end of the season, when it was obvious that Sunderland were promoted and we weren't. Again, from TWTD 77 (published just before the playoffs in May) in answer to the question "Any word on contracts yet?" "Not really. The manager had a word with us about six weeks ago and told me I would be getting offered something, depending on what happens in the league. If we get promoted then a longer contract could be offered. If we don't, then we'll take it from there. Hopefully it'll get sorted out sooner rather than later. It's reassuring that he's told me I will be offered something and as long as I know that it pus my mind at rest."

So there's a few facts. Now some opinions:

While the Board were obviously under pressure not to over-extend themselves, surely they could have offered contracts much earlier in the season with terms for the following season that would have varied on the league we were in? I was told at the time that Miller was expecting to be offered a contract extension much sooner and got quite worried as the season wore on and it was running down. He would have signed quickly if something had been offered. So it's obvious that we should blame the Board for their lack of comon sense and creativity with contracts, that led to Miller and others leaving "for a big fat zero." It wasn't Miller's fault. I doubt any of us would have done differently under the circumstances.

Could we sign him?
Probably not, although talking to EADT, he didn't exactly rule it out himself: "Certainly I'm delighted to hear from you that Joe Royle is keen on signing me again and there is no doubt I love the place. I had some great times at Ipswich but at the moment my place is with Sunderland. Although you never know in football, maybe one day I will be back for a third time."

If we can, SHOULD we sign him?
I think we probably have higher priorities in terms of fixing the squad. I certainly don't think we should pay much of a fee for him (although I'm mystified why we paid up for Williams, who has shown no evidence that he's as good a player) and nor can we afford to pay much in wages. But at the right price (and assuming there aren't any better alternatives to bring in), he could have a positive impact and do a good job for us again.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Miller will solve all our problems and I'm not obsessed with bringing him or any other past players back. Look forward and all that.... But I think some of the things posted about him have been a bit unfair and I wouldn't be unhappy if he returns.

twinpeakes

Post by twinpeakes » Thu May 11, 2006 1:26 pm

stay at Sunderland! gotta move forward, enough already with these players coming back!