End of an era - the highlights

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

End of an era - the highlights

Post by Dazza » Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 pm

What are your JR highlights?

Rach

Post by Rach » Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Highlight - Being top for most of last season
Lowlight - despite ^^ that, not getting promoted

He may have been a good manager for us, but his job was to get us promoted and he didnt do that, so overall I wont be viewing his stint as manager as a success....

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Thu May 11, 2006 3:40 pm

highlight - Narrridge this season

low - our defence and lack of a "get into um" type midfielder since hes been here

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:44 pm

highlight - bringing in all the great lads we now have

low - the board messing up his career

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Thu May 11, 2006 3:53 pm

itfc_01 wrote:highlight - bringing in all the great lads we now have

he brought the kids in because of injuries, not because he wanted to

as for the board messing up his career, thats crap, his tactics did that, he new the score with our finances when he joined in the 1st place

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:56 pm

OK POINT MADE

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Thu May 11, 2006 3:59 pm

itfc_01 wrote:OK POINT MADE
just read my post back, probably came across a bit strong, sorry about that

crazee

Post by crazee » Thu May 11, 2006 4:10 pm

didnt come across to me Riv, but then again i pretty much agree with it.

highlight: today, him going
lowlight: him getting the job

sorry i have never liked the bloke, he could have won us the league and i would still want him gone because i just dont like him

James the Brains

Post by James the Brains » Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 pm

highlight: beating wigan at Portman Road in Dec 2004 to go top of the league.

lowlight: missing out on automatic promotion a few months later

SashaBlue

Post by SashaBlue » Thu May 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Highlights -----> Beating the scum at carrot Road

Lowlights -----> playing negative 4-5-1 at Portman Road

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Thu May 11, 2006 8:07 pm

High: The turn around of Kuqi and our inevitable march into the premiership
Low: The injury of Kuqi, our losing to two teams we should have beaten and our march into the play offs and inevitable failure!! Still disturbing to think we were 6 points clear of third and blew it...my god!!?? :shock:

MMJR67

Post by MMJR67 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:02 am

Riviera wrote:

as for the board messing up his career, thats crap, his tactics did that, he new the score with our finances when he joined in the 1st place
he obviously went with those tactics because he was forced to ,like playing the kids.after over 40 years in big time football,he didn't become a dunce all of a sudden....he did what he had to...

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Fri May 12, 2006 4:51 am

MMJR67 wrote:
Riviera wrote:

he obviously went with those tactics because he was forced to ,like playing the kids.after over 40 years in big time football,he didn't become a dunce all of a sudden....he did what he had to...
Bollox to that I am afraid, he is old school tactics, hoof and run - football has moved on JR didn't simple as that. It worked for oldham 12 years ago or more, it worked for Man City in div 2 & then div 1 (as it was) but it didn't work for us.

1 dimensional, old school - was signed on reputation not ability.

He isn't a dunce, but a football dinosaur, like Graham Taylor, David Pleat etc etc - they needed to move with the times but couldn't. Therefore they have no place in the modern game!

claaarky

Post by claaarky » Fri May 12, 2006 6:31 am

Highlight of BFJ's reign.........him leaving.
Lowlight..........his appointment as manager in 2002.

I'm one of those fans that wasn't too keen on Joe from the start for a couple of reasons. One was the memory of his premature promotion celebrations while with Man City and the joy we had being the team to relegate Man City the following season. That of course is a distant memory now but the second reason was the fact that he was just not an Ipswich style manager. It was like giving the job to Ron Atkinson.

The only thing I can give Joe credit for is dealing with the financial crisis in a dignified way. As I recall, we didn't go into administration until AFTER Joe was appointed (correct me if I'm wrong) and I wonder if he really knew the state of the finances when he signed up. If he did, what a mug, if he didn't then well done for getting on with it when other managers would have walked a long time ago. I don't think he knew, so I give him credit for that.

BUT, at the end of the day he is a terrible judge of a footballer, has no idea how to nurture talented young players and has infact destroyed the confidence of at least two of our young prospects in recent seasons (Dean McDonald, our pre-season highest scorer and Bowditch). His tactics don't make sense (attack has always been the best form of defence Joe !).

Most of the clubs in the Championship and lower leagues face similar financial realities to Ipswich but there are numerous examples of managers who have plucked unknown players from obscurity for peanuts and turned them into Premiership players (Doyle at Reading is one that springs to mind) but Joe's only success really on that front was Kuqi, and he even screwed that up, refusing to offer him a new contract, putting him on the transfer list and then offering him a contract once Blackburn came in for him. We voted Kuqi player of the year and he lets him simply walk away from the club. Genius piece of management !

When Joe finally got some money he once again showed his inability to spot good players. When Currie arrived at the club we needed pace in midfield, not another stationary ball player (we were overrun with those at the time) so Currie was no better than what we had. Then came the Sam Parkin saga. I feel sorry for Sam, he seems a nice enough chap, but he's no good in the air and has no pace........why buy him ? We needed another Kuqi to put it about up front.

On the conveyor belt of 'players' that Joe has brought to the club, the successes for me are Kuqi, Davies and De Vos. I think Alan Lee and Forster could also join that list with possibly Castro and, although only with us briefly, Unsworth and Elliott.

As for the young players, amazingly a new batch of young talent emerged this season, with Danny Haynes being the highlight. If Joe had stayed though I would have grave concerns for Danny's future. I couldn't stand by and watch yet another player's confidence being destroyed. I even recall him telling Darren Bent he needed to build himself up physically, but Joe, it's not all about brute force.......Thierry Henry is a prime example and is Bent's role model. Curbishley did a better in one season with Bent than Joe did in 3 years of managing him.

Joe rarely seemed to see the game the same way as most supporters and some of his post match interviews last season had to be heard to be believed. I can't stand managers who talk in football parlance ("he was breathing out of his backside" for example).....the most respected managers in the world talk about tactics, protect their players, they just make sense when they talk. Joe rarely made sense.

As a season ticket holder for almost 20 years I've seen a few players and managers come and go and the benchmark for any Ipswich manager is George Burley, John Lyall and Bobby Robson because they could spot a good player, encourage them, improve them and build them into a team. Lyall and Burley in particular didn't have money but turned average players into Premierships teams.

If I had money to invest in Ipswich, I would never hand it over while Joe was in charge. Investing in football clubs is like pouring money down the drain at the best of times, but with BFJ at the helm you might as well just set light to it. I'm passionate about Ipswich, like everyone on this forum, and I would pour money down the drain for them if I had the cash and the right manager was spending the money.

So, at last, Joe is gone and hopefully we can look forward to a real 'manager' this time. I don't even care about being in the Premiership.......I just want to look forward to the games, get excited about young/new players and feel like things are getting better all the time.

Ipswich is still a great club with an enviable reputation for producing top class young players. Nobody outside the Premiership has loads of cash to spend so any young manager wanting to make a name for himself would jump at the chance of taking over. That idiot DJ on Suffolk Radio has always said "but who would want to take over a club in our position ?". We'll now find out but I think the answer is, alot of people !!

Wouldn't mind having a crack at it myself !

truefan2005

Post by truefan2005 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 am

the-mole wrote:
MMJR67 wrote:
Riviera wrote: he brought the kids in because of injuries, not because he wanted to

Bollox to that I am afraid, he is old school tactics, hoof and run - football has moved on JR didn't simple as that. It worked for oldham 12 years ago or more, it worked for Man City in div 2 & then div 1 (as it was) but it didn't work for us.

1 dimensional, old school - was signed on reputation not ability.

He isn't a dunce, but a football dinosaur, like Graham Taylor, David Pleat etc etc - they needed to move with the times but couldn't. Therefore they have no place in the modern game!
how do you think we played when we had darren bent up front, all we did was bang the ball up feild, he would use his pace run on to it and knock it in, our style of play hasnt changed, we just no longer have the pacey daren bent and the strong shefki kuqi to feed of the long balls

Aza-itfc

Post by Aza-itfc » Fri May 12, 2006 8:07 am

When getting in from work last night I was shocked to see him leave. I have many memories of the past few seasons.

Highlights- Being 2-0 down to Shef Utd and having Pablo sent off, and coming back to win 3-2. Still remember it, and Royle said himself that he went mental at the players, making me realise he something in that dressing room.

And the victories against Norwich (well, both of them)

Low points- Having him make many promises of getting new players before certain dates, and see nothing come from it.

Being in such a great position last season, and seeing it slip away, along with Bent, Kuqi, Miller and Davis.