Davies favourite for Ipswich job

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazza

Davies favourite for Ipswich job

Post by Dazza » Fri May 12, 2006 5:31 am

BILLY Davies is top of Ipswich's wish-list to succeed Joe Royle, say sources in East Anglia.

The Preston boss was installed as favourite for the Portman Road vacancy today just hours after Royle left by mutual consent.

Davies is said to be ahead of Colchester's Phil Parkinson and Tony Mowbray of Hibs on the Tractor Boys' shortlist.

He is also fans' favourite to take over at Derby – although Royle is now being touted for that job with the game of managerial musical chairs gathering speed.

Ojc

Post by Ojc » Fri May 12, 2006 5:40 am

So the realistic short list is

Billy Davies
Mick McCarthy
Phil Parkinson
Tony Mowbray
Terry Butcher
Ian Holloway :roll:

Outside bets are

Peter Taylor
Alan Curbishley

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Fri May 12, 2006 8:05 am

Ojc wrote:So the realistic short list is

Billy Davies
Mick McCarthy
Phil Parkinson
Tony Mowbray
Terry Butcher

Outside bets are

Peter Taylor
Alan Curbishley

look what happened to QPR after he was put on gardening leave. they sunk like the titanic.

so i dont think he would be as bad a choice as you may think.

toby

Post by toby » Fri May 12, 2006 8:11 am

G'daddy wrote:

Billy Davies
Mick McCarthy
Phil Parkinson
Tony Mowbray
Terry Butcher

Outside bets are

Peter Taylor
Alan Curbishley

look what happened to QPR after he was put on gardening leave. they sunk like the titanic.

Imagine us having Holloway as manager?

We're already called the tractorboys and called "country bumpkins" without having Ian "Wurzel" Holloway as manager!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fully

Post by Fully » Fri May 12, 2006 8:12 am

another outsider being martin o neill too

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Fri May 12, 2006 8:28 am

toby wrote:
G'daddy wrote:

Billy Davies
Mick McCarthy
Phil Parkinson
Tony Mowbray
Terry Butcher

Outside bets are

Peter Taylor
Alan Curbishley

Imagine us having Holloway as manager?

We're already called the tractorboys and called "country bumpkins" without having Ian "Wurzel" Holloway as manager!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well going by what i've heard about him, Holloways programme notes will be a hoot.

Munty

Post by Munty » Fri May 12, 2006 9:32 am

got some funny stories about Holloway, the best being his daughter nearly choked to death at a bbq my company supplied.... well, I guess that ones not too funny!!

He is a right c*ck though to be honest!!

Cuffy

Post by Cuffy » Fri May 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Holloway = Great Guy

Very Average Manager.

SashaBlue

Re: Davies favourite for Ipswich job

Post by SashaBlue » Fri May 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Dazza wrote:
BILLY Davies is top of Ipswich's wish-list to succeed Joe Royle, say sources in East Anglia.

The Preston boss was installed as favourite for the Portman Road vacancy today just hours after Royle left by mutual consent.

Davies is said to be ahead of Colchester's Phil Parkinson and Tony Mowbray of Hibs on the Tractor Boys' shortlist.

He is also fans' favourite to take over at Derby – although Royle is now being touted for that job with the game of managerial musical chairs gathering speed.
I would like to see him here, but i can't see what he would gain from leaving preston for us at the moment. so i can't see it being him.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sat May 13, 2006 3:47 am

It Will be Willy Doc that gets the job!!!! I hope that he spends the money on defence!!

half_a_scargill

Post by half_a_scargill » Sat May 13, 2006 5:58 am

Ojc wrote: Alan Curbishley
he would be good - what other job would he take - Curbishley for tractor boys i say

WINDOWFITTER (PNE)

Post by WINDOWFITTER (PNE) » Mon May 15, 2006 6:08 am

It looks like its that time of season again!

Billy was linked with at least 3 clubs last season.

I think one thing that might put him off Ipswich is the distance. At Preston, he isnt too far from Scotland as he makes regul trips there.

I has said he would like to finish the job at Preston. I think we are now a well established club at this level at the top end of the table, so Im hoping he will stay with us.

Our chairman has said he wants to strengthen our squad. Also, work will start on the 4th stand this year. The club has been building at a god helthy rate over the last 10 years without taking big financial gambles. It was 10 years ago since we got promoted from the bottom division and since then we have only been going upwards

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:17 am

I would imagine the Lure of the Premiership with Charlton would pry him from his duties with Preston. Cant see him coming to Town though.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Mon May 15, 2006 10:47 am

I'd love to see Billy Davis here too,but cant see it.Charlton will be foolish if they didnt offer the job to him.The modern jet engine has ensured that the world is a small place to live.Ipswich to scotland is only a short flight away!!