12million for Bent ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

squiz18

12million for Bent ?

Post by squiz18 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:54 am

A few of the papers yesterday were linking liverpool with a 12 million bid for darren bent, after clearing out Cisse, morientes etc. Could anyone see that comming off ? How much of a % would we get of that ? Would certainly give a pretty big amount of money for the new manager to work with !

1978greats

Re: 12million for Bent ?

Post by 1978greats » Sun May 14, 2006 8:56 am

squiz18 wrote:A few of the papers yesterday were linking liverpool with a 12 million bid for darren bent, after clearing out Cisse, morientes etc. Could anyone see that comming off ? How much of a % would we get of that ? Would certainly give a pretty big amount of money for the new manager to work with !
God I hope so :shock: ...cant remember the exact percentage in the sell on clause but I know its pretty big 8) ..we could be looking at a nice tidy sum there...more than the new share issue will raise anyway :lol:

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun May 14, 2006 9:12 am

I believe we've got a 25% sell on clause of anything over £3m.

So we'd get £2.25m "IF" that £12m was up front, which it wont be.

crazee

Post by crazee » Sun May 14, 2006 9:27 am

yes but it could well be £6million up front with another £6million next year +some other clauses, we could be quids in, just doubt it will happen

Susie

Post by Susie » Sun May 14, 2006 9:30 am

I can't see it happening. After all he hasn't even been selected for the World Cup and it is only a year since we sold him for peanuts.

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:34 am

crazee wrote:yes but it could well be £6million up front with another £6million next year +some other clauses, we could be quids in, just doubt it will happen
Lol thats always the way :roll:

What if bent moves on in the summer, then plays for england, Would charlton still owe us 200 k ?

MMJR67

Post by MMJR67 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:43 am

we would get sell on fee,but competative matches money will be out the window

crazee

Post by crazee » Sun May 14, 2006 10:27 am

I can't see it happening. After all he hasn't even been selected for the World Cup and it is only a year since we sold him for peanuts.
can't see how that would effect Rafa wanting to sign him or not, just because one manager doesnt want him doesnt mean another will say no

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:05 pm

crazee wrote:
can't see how that would effect Rafa wanting to sign him or not, just because one manager doesnt want him doesnt mean another will say no
And everyone knows Sven is bonkers anyway ! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Blue Susie wrote:I can't see it happening. After all he hasn't even been selected for the World Cup and it is only a year since we sold him for peanuts.
Have to agree with you Susie. Even if Liverpool decide to go for him can you see them paying 12 million for him?

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun May 14, 2006 3:53 pm

No one forseen the millions that Arsenal paid to Southampton for Wallcott either!!! I understand that the sell on fee is 20% of the related profit. If Liverpool want a player badly enough,then they will meet the asking price...simple as that! It certainly could be our savour for next season thats for sure!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Still would be amazed if Benitez forked out that sum for him at this moment in time.
I think there would be a lot of add ons to reach that total. Might be a different story if Bent reproduces the goods next season for Charlton and proves this year was not just a one off.
Mind you I ain't complaining if they do splash out that amount now! :lol:

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Shed on tour wrote:Still would be amazed if Benitez forked out that sum for him at this moment in time.
I think there would be a lot of add ons to reach that total. Might be a different story if Bent reproduces the goods next season for Charlton and proves this year was not just a one off.
Hang on, this is the guy that paid 7 million for Crouch after one half decent season !

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun May 14, 2006 5:20 pm

squiz18 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:Still would be amazed if Benitez forked out that sum for him at this moment in time.
Hang on, this is the guy that paid 7 million for Crouch after one half decent season !
And Theo was bought for £12m in total, and he has never played a Premiership game...

squiz18

Post by squiz18 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:34 pm

Dazza wrote:
squiz18 wrote:
And Theo was bought for £12m in total, and he has never played a Premiership game...
Exaclty my point, the managers of the big clubs will pay silly money for players ! Especially if aload hype surrounds them.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon May 15, 2006 2:18 am

squiz18 wrote:
Dazza wrote:
squiz18 wrote: Hang on, this is the guy that paid 7 million for Crouch after one half decent season !
Exaclty my point, the managers of the big clubs will pay silly money for players ! Especially if aload hype surrounds them.
Exactly and I think you might find this £12m figure for Bent is a load of media hype.
As I said before if Benitez pays that for him great but I ain't going to get my hopes up!

1978greats

Post by 1978greats » Mon May 15, 2006 4:48 am

I'v heard that Liverpool have switched their attention to Andy Johnson now .....and we all know who we have to thank for that :evil:

Frankie

Post by Frankie » Mon May 15, 2006 1:29 pm

I'm still hearing rumours botu liverpool and D Bent, also abotu Arsenal wanting to sign Andy Johnson

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:52 pm

KOPTALK.COM can reveal that Liverpool have made an official approach to Charlton Athletic for their star player Darren Bent.

The 22-year-old hitman has been linked with the Reds for some time after catching the eye of Rafael Benitez.

Informal discussions have already taken place between both clubs and we understand that things stepped-up a gear this morning with Liverpool faxing an official bid to Charlton.

Bent - a £2.5million (further £500k depending on club and international appearances) signing from Ipswich last season - netted 18 Premier League goals this season with only Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy more prolific.

Charlton currently do not have a manager following the resignation of Alan Curbishley. Their chief executive Peter Varney is currently looking for a replacement and the incoming new manager will certainly want to retain Bent but Varney may have to act before such an appointment which could be why Liverpool have sprung into action sooner rather than later.

The player's agent has indicated that he would "jump at the chance" to play for Liverpool but early feedback suggests Liverpool's valuation falls short of what Charlton are demanding.

We have no idea if there are any clauses in his contract that would force Charlton into accepting any bids from Anfield or anywhere else but if the player's agent has got word through, Liverpool will know exactly where they stand.

More on this and other potential transfers at the KOPTALK INSIDER website.

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Mon May 15, 2006 2:54 pm

YAY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

MMJR67

Post by MMJR67 » Mon May 15, 2006 2:58 pm

he would get an england shirt then wouldn't he

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:13 pm

god i hate the fact only premire teams get to have players play in the england - lifes a bitch isnt it lol

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue May 16, 2006 6:37 pm

If I were Charlton I'd take it - first season wonder possibly...has pace and little else what if he gets injured and Liverpool attention will get him down in the dumps and what you guys said about playing for Charlton and not getting picked for England will also play on his mind - and we all know how Darren plays when there is external interest in him. :? Sell him and get Nugent in

MMJR67

Post by MMJR67 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:07 am

Rivals switch striker target Wed, May 17 2006 14:37
Liverpool are understood to have shelved their interest in Addicks striker Darren Bent, having turned their attentions to Jermain Defoe
Tottenham's signing of Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov has prompted speculation Defoe is heading out of White Hart Lane, and the Reds are ready to swoop.
Anfield chief Rafa Benitez has made no secret of the fact he is keen to strengthen his forward line this summer, and is known to be an admirer of England frontman Bent.

The summer arrival enjoyed an impressive debut season in the Premiership following his move from Ipswich, prompting talk of a summer departure from The Valley.

However, Bent's insistence that he is happy to remain in SE7, combined with Defoe's apparent availability appears to have persuaded Benitez to pursue the latter ahead of this summer's transfer window.

azbedwell

Post by azbedwell » Wed May 17, 2006 12:08 pm

To be honest I think that Deofe is a better player and is infact more suited to the Liverpool team than Bent. If I were Benitez I would chase Defoe harder than Bent.

Still would love to see Bent get a big money move as we need the cash pronto!