Taylor to Charlton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

twinpeakes

Taylor to Charlton

Post by twinpeakes » Tue May 16, 2006 1:52 pm

Taylor poised for Charlton talks

Taylor has been given permission to talk to Charlton
Peter Taylor will hold talks about the vacant managerial position at Charlton after the Addicks made an official approach for the Hull City boss.
England Under-21 coach Taylor is now favourite to succeed Alan Curbishley.

Hull chairman Adam Pearson told BBC Radio Humberside: "I think Peter will go and speak to them.

"Charlton have now got my permission to talk because I don't want to have anybody at the club who doesn't want to be there."

Pearson added: "If Peter's got an incline that he may want to go to the Premier League or may possibly, more importantly, want to go to London then I want somebody here who's going to rebuild this club for the next five to 10 years."

Taylor revealed: "Adam rang me to say Charlton had been in touch and that he's given them permission to speak to me.

"There's a clause in my contract that if a club come in for me and I end up leaving, then that club have to pay Hull City a set amount of compensation.

"But I've not heard anything from anyone at Charlton yet so it could all be speculation and whether I'm even on their shortlist I don't know.

"And it would need to take a very good offer for me to leave Hull because we've achieved an awful lot here in the four years that I've been at the club and I'm very happy here.

"I think if Charlton did approach me about an interview then, out of respect at the very least, I'd have to listen to what they had to say."

Taylor admitted: "I've still got a house in Southend, my daughter still lives there, and it's been hard at times for my wife to be away from our friends and family.

"We go back on a regular basis at weekends and Adam Pearson has been brilliant in that respect.

"But, at the same time, we really enjoy living in Ferriby and, as things stand, I'm the Hull City manager for the foreseeable future."

Taylor has managed in the Premiership before at Leicester but his tenure turned sour and he was sacked after just 13 months.

However, he has since restored his reputation in style and guided Hull to successive promotions before the current campaign saw him steer the club to Championship safety.

Taylor has also enjoyed considerable success in his part-time job as England Under-21s boss