Roeder confirmed as Newcastle Boss.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Earl Blue

Roeder confirmed as Newcastle Boss.

Post by Earl Blue » Tue May 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Glenn Roeder has been confirmed as full-time manager of Newcastle on a two-year contract.

The club decided to appoint Roeder after a successful spell in charge as caretaker boss following the departure of Graeme Souness.

Roeder does not have the required UEFA Pro Licence but a vote of Premier League chairmen cleared the way for his appointment.

Roeder told the club's official website, www.nufc.co.uk: "It's hard to describe how I feel at the moment.

"I know all about this club, having played here for almost six years and having captained the club.

"I'm an extremely lucky person to have been given this opportunity, and it is an opportunity I want to take.''

Chairman Freddy Shepherd also confirmed today that striker Alan Shearer, who retired at the end of the season, will act as sporting ambassador for the club.

The 50-year-old, who had been the Academy coach at St James' Park, took charge in February and lifted the club from the bottom half of the table to seventh place in the Barclays Premiership.

Roeder will now take the UEFA course to ensure he has the necessary qualifications to manage in the top flight this time next year. His appointment has been strongly opposed by the League Managers' Association.

ATB

Post by ATB » Tue May 16, 2006 11:03 pm

maybe he can get them relegated like he did West Ham!

so when he managed west ham he obviously had the credentials...
so how often do they expire?

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue May 16, 2006 11:57 pm

ATB wrote:maybe he can get them relegated like he did West Ham!

Good point...

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:30 am

Earl Blue wrote:

Good point...
He didn't have them then either - he was taking them when he got ill so never completed the course.

All seems a bit 'Closed Shop' to me - you can either do the job or you can't - doesn't matter how good you are you ain't working here unless you have this piece of paper :roll:

Rather like saying 'Hey I know you have passed a driving test and in fact I can see you handle a car extreamly well, but I'm not going to let you drive at my level unless you have taken an Advanced Motoring Course'

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Wed May 17, 2006 3:36 am

I say let him distroy Newcastle and that egomaniac Shepherd in the process as he did wet spam!!!

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:14 am

He cant be worse than Souness, that guy is hopeless!! I would imagine with the squad he has he may do quite well. His first job should be getting rid of the shocking central defence partnership of Bramble and Boumsong, with those clowns replaced I'd expect a top ten finish if Owen, Parker, etc can stay fit.

Be great to see them relagated though!!

azbedwell

Post by azbedwell » Wed May 17, 2006 8:02 am

I am not his biggest fan but face facts.

He was the highest placed English manager in the Premiership this year and that was even with Souness trying his hardest to get them relegated at the start.

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Wed May 17, 2006 10:03 am

how come he all of a sudden he's a good manager.
When at West Ham he was absolutely crap , and if i remember he had a cracking team then having to sell all of them when getting Relegated.

Michael Owen aside i cant see this Newcastle team being better than them.

maybe be he has a team that WANTS to play for him at the moment. it will be interesting to see what happens if Newcastle have a run of bad results.

truefan2005

Post by truefan2005 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:07 am

G'daddy wrote:

how come he all of a sudden he's a good manager.
When at West Ham he was absolutely crap , and if i remember he had a cracking team then having to sell all of them when getting Relegated.

Michael Owen aside i cant see this Newcastle team being better than them.

maybe be he has a team that WANTS to play for him at the moment. it will be interesting to see what happens if Newcastle have a run of bad results.
course they are, they have quite a good side at newcastle, dyer, given, bowyer etc are all great players

azbedwell

Post by azbedwell » Wed May 17, 2006 11:43 am

Have to agree he has the basis of a good team.

Given, Emre, Dyer, Parker, Parker are all international quality

while Bowyer, Carr are good Premiership players.

If Roder gets some decent defenders then he can do quite well if think.

However by quite well i mean a possible run in any of the cups, including the UEFA, and staying in the top 10.

He is not going to challenge top 5.

Kheffan

Post by Kheffan » Wed May 17, 2006 12:02 pm

he had the basis of a good team at Wet Spam , But look where that got him.

i also think to get the Newcastle job , he didn't just come through the tradesman entrance he smashed the glass in the back door.

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Wasnt his first season or part season as it may have been with the spammers really successful?? I have a feeling they finished well up he table then sunk without trace next time around. Same thing could happen at NUFC!

itfcabingdon

Post by itfcabingdon » Wed May 17, 2006 1:47 pm

Oh dear. I think the question for Newcastle next season will be: Will they stay up? and not will they get into the UEFA cup?

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 pm

i havent got anything against GR, and im probably one of the few that thinks it was right for the FA to allow him to take over full time at Newcastle, lets not forget he had a life threatening illness so it was hardly his fault he stopped doing his coaching badges, if he fcuks up he fcuks up, but at least hes been given a chance

the person i have a problem with is newcastles fooking gobshite of a chairman, ive never known a chairman like him, gives opinions of matters that dont even effect him or newcastle, he forgets that newcastle were very close to relegation to the 3rd tier of football in this country, and then he makes comments like " we should do away with the bottom 2 leagues in england" ...fooking c0ck !!

i heard him interviewed about GR getting the Toon job and instead of welcoming a new manager he had a dig at all the prem clubs that didnt agree with the appointment, as soon as he fooks off from football altogether the better