Sheepy's surprised candidates!!!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Sheepy's surprised candidates!!!

Post by loudnproud » Wed May 17, 2006 9:35 pm

I got told that they were none other than Terry Venables and .....Dennis Bergkamp!!!! The chap was serious too!!!

vaalae

Re: Sheepy's surprised candidates!!!

Post by vaalae » Wed May 17, 2006 10:14 pm

loudnproud wrote:I got told that they were none other than Terry Venables and .....Dennis Bergkamp!!!! The chap was serious too!!!

I've heard that Terry is being closely linked with Boro, which will open the door for Mogga here I guess - should make that a formailty if its what we want. Bergkamp - hmmm, I've heard Shearer's name mentioned as well - I presume both would be in player manager roles as we wouldn't want to gamble like that on an unproven manager - besides wouldnt the "Glen Roeder" you dont have your UEFA badges debate come into it or does that only to the top flight managers?

Id be interested in views on Shearer as a player manager - its not realistic but if he did throw his name in it would be interesting - he's such a good player that my normal caution about the manager being the most important figure at the club dont experiment and so on might go temporarily out the window

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu May 18, 2006 2:17 am

I have seen postings that Middlesborough are playing down the rumours
about Venables, and also ones suggesting Ipswich have already chosen
the manager (Big Ron) despite what Sheepy is saying.

My thoughts on this are as I think we all expect, we are all armchair
football managers/club directors and the best thing since sliced
bread is rumour mill.

One thing that does concern me is, ok we dont have the funds to bring in
a big name that is currently in Football, but I cant help thinking that the
Likes of Venables and Atkinson who are out of the game at the moment
may be prepared to try and renew their standings on the cheap.

The thought haunts me..
Last edited by Earl Blue on Thu May 18, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu May 18, 2006 2:25 am

Burgkamp has his uafa badges!!! for the last few seasons his appearances have been limited so was allowed to study for them apparently.As for TV and Big Ron.....No very appealing realy,Both are needing money to succeed,If it cam as a choice for either i'd plum for TV!!
The "Bling" comming out of the dugout will de too dazzeling!!!

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu May 18, 2006 3:08 am

loudnproud wrote:Burgkamp has his uafa badges!!! for the last few seasons his appearances have been limited so was allowed to study for them apparently.As for TV and Big Ron.....No very appealing realy,Both are needing money to succeed,If it cam as a choice for either i'd plum for TV!!
The "Bling" comming out of the dugout will de too dazzeling!!!
So thats the plan hey Dave. Dazzle the opponents defence..

Love it..

:wink:

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Thu May 18, 2006 3:44 am

Im sorry but i cant even imagine Alan Shearer being our manager after his comments the season Blackburn won the premiership......" there are no easy games in this league apart from Ipswich at home"

top player but a fooking arsehole

Dennis Bergkamp would be great but, he'll go on to manage a top european team, theres no way his 1st job would be at ITFC, we dont have a pot to p!ss in

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 18, 2006 4:30 am

Riviera wrote:Im sorry but i cant even imagine Alan Shearer being our manager after his comments the season Blackburn won the premiership......" there are no easy games in this league apart from Ipswich at home"
top player but a fooking arsehole

Dennis Bergkamp would be great but, he'll go on to manage a top european team, theres no way his 1st job would be at ITFC, we dont have a pot to p!ss in
yer ..but that was before the Sunderlands of this world got into the Prem !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu May 18, 2006 5:34 am

loudnproud wrote:I got told that they were none other than Terry Venables and .....Dennis Bergkamp!!!! The chap was serious too!!!
Christ, can we have Dennis as player manager please. That'll more than fill the void left by Magilton.

Paul30

Post by Paul30 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:27 am

Mork wrote:
Christ, can we have Dennis as player manager please. That'll more than fill the void left by Magilton.
Just think of all the favours Wenger would do for him!!! We could have half the Gooners reserve team on loan :D

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 am

Bergkamp would be amazing, but it wont happen.

Big Ron, it really wouldnt surprise me if we got him... :roll: If not, Peter Reid... :shock:

Mork

Post by Mork » Thu May 18, 2006 11:01 am

Dazza wrote:Bergkamp would be amazing, but it wont happen.

Big Ron, it really wouldnt surprise me if we got him... :roll: If not, Peter Reid... :shock:
Big Ron wouldn't surprise me at all - its the same kind of appointment that Royle was, old school, totally sheepshanks.

If thats who we end up with, I'll be disgusted. When the clubs who are succeeding are appointing young managers with new ideas, Sheepy keeps insisting on guys who heyday was in the 80's. Go figure.