Murphy on.his way?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Murphy on.his way?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Cardiff appear more than a little interested with a reported £4m price or potential offer from them.

So questions are. Regardless of whether this has any substance or not,

1. Would you accept this fee for a 31 yr old - on the back of one good season ?
2. Is Murphy likely to repeat his scoring touch in 2015/16 or is it a one season wonder?
3. Who should we target as a possible replacement, if Murphy does leave?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Murphy on.his way?

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Firstly I think there is Zero chance of this happening, the club have said they don't want to sell and Murphy is totally happy and settled in Suffolk where his family love living, I just see it as a total non starter.

As to whether I would cash in on the chance, no I would not. As league goalscorers go he is number One in the whole country, yes it is doubtful he will get 27 again next season but i do still see/expect him to hit between 15/20 which will be ample with Sears and hopefully McGoldrick both chipping in for a whole campaign, should that happen we won't need murph to be hitting 27.

But the biggest thing for me is what just about everyone fails to see, Murphy is far more than a goalscorer, his all round game is first class, his leading of the line, the way he roughs up defenders, he runs the channels and pulls defenders all over the place, his flick ons from set pieces and not to mention the defensive work he does to help out the back four, it is all well and good people bleating on about Patrick "pretty boy" Bamford or Troy Deeney, yes they both scored a few goals but defensively are by and large non existent and their work rate no close to Murphy's.

Not for sale, not at any price.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Have heard nothing about any interest from Cardiff City - or any other team - for Murphy's services. Let's suppose this has some substance and address the points in question.

#1 Would I accept 4 million ? No, but I don't make the decisions at the club and who pays what. Bottom line it's a derisory amount for someone who has been so recently prolific and in a day and age when players come and go for stupid money I wouldn't allow Murphy away from Portman Road for anything less than 10. He's probably worth more in the region of 15 if today's market is anything to go by, but for that price, the Welsh can push off.

#2 Most likely to get another impressive tally but don't think will be able to surpass the total for this season. Depends on who comes in this summer in an attacking department and how often McCarthy deploys them - and how well they and Murphy can feed off each other.

#3 Can't even think about Murphy leaving right now, content to cross that bridge when we find it. Don't follow enough of other championship teams to see who could be an adequate replacement. Someone alluded to Bamford at 'Boro and while realize he's scored some goals, don't see why Middlesbrough would sell to one of their recent promotion rivals.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:20 pm

saint jude wrote:Have heard nothing about any interest from Cardiff City - or any other team - for Murphy's services. Let's suppose this has some substance and address the points in question.

#1 Would I accept 4 million ? No, but I don't make the decisions at the club and who pays what. Bottom line it's a derisory amount for someone who has been so recently prolific and in a day and age when players come and go for stupid money I wouldn't allow Murphy away from Portman Road for anything less than 10. He's probably worth more in the region of 15 if today's market is anything to go by, but for that price, the Welsh can push off.

#2 Most likely to get another impressive tally but don't think will be able to surpass the total for this season. Depends on who comes in this summer in an attacking department and how often McCarthy deploys them - and how well they and Murphy can feed off each other.

#3 Can't even think about Murphy leaving right now, content to cross that bridge when we find it. Don't follow enough of other championship teams to see who could be an adequate replacement. Someone alluded to Bamford at 'Boro and while realize he's scored some goals, don't see why Middlesbrough would sell to one of their recent promotion rivals.
You do know he's on Chelsea's books and was on-loan at Boro.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 pm

K L Blue wrote:
saint jude wrote:Have heard nothing about any interest from Cardiff City - or any other team - for Murphy's services. Let's suppose this has some substance and address the points in question.

You do know he's on Chelsea's books and was on-loan at Boro.
no, wasn't aware. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

That player apart, the above still stands true.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 am

bluemike wrote:Firstly I think there is Zero chance of this happening, the club have said they don't want to sell and Murphy is totally happy and settled in Suffolk where his family love living, I just see it as a total non starter.

As to whether I would cash in on the chance, no I would not. As league goalscorers go he is number One in the whole country, yes it is doubtful he will get 27 again next season but i do still see/expect him to hit between 15/20 which will be ample with Sears and hopefully McGoldrick both chipping in for a whole campaign, should that happen we won't need murph to be hitting 27.

But the biggest thing for me is what just about everyone fails to see, Murphy is far more than a goalscorer, his all round game is first class, his leading of the line, the way he roughs up defenders, he runs the channels and pulls defenders all over the place, his flick ons from set pieces and not to mention the defensive work he does to help out the back four, it is all well and good people bleating on about Patrick "pretty boy" Bamford or Troy Deeney, yes they both scored a few goals but defensively are by and large non existent and their work rate no close to Murphy's.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 am

Yip....... What Bluemike said......., word for word.

It certainly would be great if "Didsy" could stay fit for the majority of next season. Would take some pressure off Murphy. But he has proved a bit of pressure is no problem.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:43 am

marko69 wrote:Yip....... What Bluemike said......., word for word.

It certainly would be great if "Didsy" could stay fit for the majority of next season. Would take some pressure off Murphy. But he has proved a bit of pressure is no problem.
Yip .......what bluemike and marco said.....word for word
Would deff take a large offer for mings if it comes our way. Free up some cash for decent right back and a midfielder who can supply and score a few goals to boot, no marco, not score goals with two boots but maybe the ability to score with both as a bonus!

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:38 pm

bluemike wrote:Firstly I think there is Zero chance of this happening, the club have said they don't want to sell and Murphy is totally happy and settled in Suffolk where his family love living, I just see it as a total non starter.

You mean he's better looking than you, Mike? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:43 pm

rossi wrote:

You mean he's better looking than you, Mike? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bloody hell Rossi, NO I dont mean that lol, how could he possibly be !!!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 pm

:roll: he's got to be worth £20 million at least :lol: :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:45 am

ashfordblue wrote::roll: he's got to be worth £20 million at least :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's actually not too far from the truth, I don't see what's amusing about it. Say again, In this day and age of a market where players - of lesser ability - can command asinine prices Murphy could (or should) be worth a tag of between 10 - 15 million - No it's not an exaggerated figure, he's a fine center forward who knows where the goal is, so let's hold out for a figure nearer what he's actually worth, and not let him go on the cheap.

Yes he's no Gareth Bale and wouldn't expect stupid money but he was largely responsible for getting Town to were they did this season and without him, would have damn well seen the difference. Is he is sold, and we receive say less than six million, it would represent something of a travesty.

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Big call by Rep of Ireland starting Murphy against Scotland ahead of Robbie Keane, McGoldrick on the bench.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Had a big hand in the goal too. Doing OK.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:25 pm

He's got some lovely touches and quick lay offs, he is a class striker, so that's two Ipswich strikers, one ex playing well together,

:roll: Mick go and get Walters back from Stoke, perfect strike force, with Sears poaching,

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Even Berra got a few minutes in the end off the bench, looks like they came through without any injuries

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 pm

bluemike wrote:Had a big hand in the offside goal too. Doing OK.
Fixed that for you there, Mike.

But indeed, he did do well,......., a few of us up here blaming the defending, but, hmmm, no I think Murphy was very strong going for the ball. How the officials missed Walters being almost a yard offside, and controlling it with his arm, is unreal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:21 am

The result was disappointing, I wanted the Irish to win. As it is those dropped points could prove crucial when the totals are added up and groups decided.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:30 am

marko69 wrote:
bluemike wrote:Had a big hand in the offside goal too. Doing OK.
Fixed that for you there, Mike.

But indeed, he did do well,......., a few of us up here blaming the defending, but, hmmm, no I think Murphy was very strong going for the ball. How the officials missed Walters being almost a yard offside, and controlling it with his arm, is unreal.
yep way offside but over the piece the irish should have won the game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Opinions like arseholes again I suppose.

Fair result in the end I think......, offside/hand ball goal for them, big deflected goal for us. If James McCarthy had've rightly been sent off for the elbow led jump, would've changed things.

But over the piece...... It was a sh*t game. 90 minutes that no one will ever get back.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:48 pm

:roll: You watch Murphy's valuation go up after this, I mean Boro's offer of £2.4 million is taking the p**s

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:18 pm

ashfordblue wrote::roll: You watch Murphy's valuation go up after this, I mean Boro's offer of £2.4 million is taking the p**s
Did they really put forward that bid, this I got to see with my own two eyes. Where is your evidence ?

The four million Cardiff supposedly proposed was insult enough but seems someone has taken it to new levels