Ipswich Town vs Blackburn Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Take Revenge on Rovers?

Ipswich Win
42%
Blackburn Win
32%
Draw
26%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Blackburn Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 am

Image Ipswich Town v Blackburn RoversImage

Saturday 14th January 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Opening Thought - Jamma

Saturday’s FA Cup tie against Lincoln was supposed to provide us with some respite from a frustrating league campaign. With the top six a distant prospect, it was an opportunity to reverse the trend of our horrendous recent run in the competition, and inject some life back into our season. There also seemed to be some optimism amongst the supporters, as a late flurry of ticket sales saw a better-than-average attendance of over 16,000 (even if this figure was skewed somewhat by the incredible following of 4,838 from Lincolnshire). But as I listened to the positive predictions coming in on BBC Suffolk’s ‘Life’s a Pitch’ pre-match show, I asked myself ‘Can I really see us winning this 3-0?’. I hate to admit it, but I thought we were more likely to be edged out by the odd goal than record a comfortable win. The media obviously saw it the same way, with Football Focus featuring the game as one of the more likely sources of an upset. Within 7 minutes of kick-off, that was looking a distinct possibility, as Theo Robinson sent the packed-out Cobbold Stand wild with a clinical finish. If this early setback was a wake-up call, the Blues’ quick-fire response, through a fine solo run and finish from Tom Lawrence, should have been the catalyst for us to go on and exert our authority. So it was understandably one of Mick McCarthy’s main gripes that we weren’t able to build on the equaliser. It was the Imps instead who continued to apply the pressure, and they had already fired a couple of warning shots before Robinson grabbed his second, capitalising on a shaky defensive header from Christophe Berra similar to the one by Adam Webster that had led to QPR’s winner earlier in the week. Also like at Loftus Road, Lawrence came up with another exquisite long-range strike to give us a lifeline. But come the final whistle, Lincoln could consider themselves very unfortunate to have only secured a replay, Josh Emmanuel’s lung-busting run and last-ditch challenge on Alex Woodyard preventing what would have been a deserved victory.

While it’s credit to McCarthy that he was honest enough to admit that Lincoln were unlucky not to go through, he will not have won over any fans by again emphasising how well the opposition played. Yes, Mick, they may be a ‘good side’, playing with plenty of confidence, but let’s not forget that they still play three divisions below us. It’s got to the point where our manager is seemingly intent on deflecting attention anywhere but on his own side’s performance. When pushed further on the disappointment of Saturday’s result, he merely pointed out that there had been other third-round upsets, before comparing the two teams’ confidence levels and saying that maybe it wasn’t such a big shock (he may have a point there…). I have tried to cut him some slack while others have been calling for McCarthy’s head, but it is head-in-the-sand comments like these – almost bordering on the Jose Mourinho in refusing to accept blame – that try the patience of the most understanding of supporters. I’m sure I’m not the only one who predicted, pretty much word-for-word, that Mick would answer the question of why he didn’t introduce any substitutes with ‘It wasn’t the game for Ben Morris’. Bringing on Jonathan Douglas after the episode at Loftus Road may well have been the last straw for many Town fans, but McCarthy didn’t miss the chance to have a little dig at the supporters by saying as much. Not for the first time in 2016/17, it is hard to see where we go from here, other than a home clash with Blackburn, who will doubtless be ‘no mugs’.

As for me, I am heading off to Australia for two weeks, for some summer sun and a change of sport with the Australian Open tennis. I will be leaving the ‘Opening thought’ in the very capable hands of Herforder for the next three/four games. Hopefully, by the time I take up the reins again for the visit of Reading, the team and the club will have turned some kind of corner…

The Opposition – Blackburn Rovers

The club was founded in 1875 and, on 28 September 1878, Blackburn Rovers became one of 23 clubs to form the Lancashire Football Association.

Blackburn were an early F.A. Cup winner, with a 2–1 victory over the Scottish team Queen's Park on 29 March 1884, and then repeated the feat over the next two seasons for 3 consecutive cup wins. They won the trophy for a fourth & fifth time in 1890 & 1891 respectively.

Blackburn Rovers were founder members of the Football League in 1888.

Blackburn Rovers struggled during the early years of the 20th century, before a gradual improvement in results began. During the first three decades of the 20th century, Blackburn Rovers were still considered a top side in the English league. They were First Division champions in 1911–12 and 1913–14, and F.A. Cup winners in 1927–28.
Blackburn Rovers maintained a respectable mid-table position in the First Division until they were finally relegated from the top flight (for the first time since the foundation of the league) in the 1935–36 season.

When the league resumed after the war, Blackburn Rovers were relegated in their second season (1947–48). The club remained in the second division for the following ten years. After promotion in 1958, they again returned to the mid-table position they had occupied in the earlier part of the century.

They were again relegated from the First Division in 1966 and began a 26-year exile from the top division.

During the 1970s, Blackburn Rovers bounced between the Second and Third Divisions, winning the Third Division title in 1975, but never mounted a challenge for promotion to the First Division, despite the efforts of successive managers to put the club back on track.

Following the Jack Walker takeover, Rovers finished 19th in the Second Division at the end of the 1990–91 season, and the new owner had made millions of pounds available to spend on new players and appointed Kenny Dalglish as manager in October 1991. Blackburn secured promotion to the new FA Premier League at the end of the 1991–92 season as play-off winners, ending 26 years outside the top flight.

Rovers made headlines in the summer of 1992 by paying an English record fee of £3.5million for the 22-year-old Southampton and England centre-forward Alan Shearer. After finishing fourth in 1992–93 and runners-up in 1993–94, they went on to win the Premier League title in 1994–95.

Kenny Dalglish moved upstairs to the position of Director of Football at the end of the Premier League-winning season, and handed over the reins to his assistant Ray Harford. Blackburn Rovers made a poor start to the 1995–96 season, and found themselves in the bottom half for most of the first half of the season. A terrible start to the 1996–97 Premier League campaign saw Harford resign in late October with the club bottom of the division. Relegation looked a real possibility, just two seasons after winning the league. At the end of the 1998/99 season, Blackburn were relegated back to Division One.

Jack Walker died just after the start of the 2000–01 season, and the club dedicated its promotion challenge in memory of their benefactor. Fittingly, they returned to the Premier League after a much-improved season, finishing second behind Fulham.

In 2001–02, Blackburn won their first ever League Cup by beating Tottenham Hotspur 2–1 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

In November 2010, the Indian company V H Group bought Blackburn Rovers under the name of Venky's London Limited for £23 million. The new owners sacked manager Sam Allardyce and replaced him with first team coach Steve Kean, initially on a temporary basis.

In December 2011, it was announced that Blackburn Rovers had posted an annual pre-tax loss of £18.6m for the year ending 30 June 2011. Despite this, the owners of Blackburn Rovers provided assurances over the continued funding of the club, even if they were relegated.

On 7 May 2012, the club was relegated to the Championship after being defeated at home by Wigan Athletic in the penultimate game of the season, ending 11 years of being in the English Premier League.

In the 2013/14 season, Blackburn finished in 8th place in the Championship, one place ahead of us in the table.

Last season, Blackburn finished a disappointing 15th place on 55 points.

The Gaffer – Owen Coyle

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

A look back to few years ago with a nice win and 3 goals too

Media Watch - K L Blue

Christophe Berra on replay

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ip ... 89094.html

Fans message to MM RE: Lincoln replay

http://www.sudburymercury.co.uk/sport/p ... y_1_484322

Zach Ward on MM

http://www.haverhillecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-7764487

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 15th place with 31 points

Ipswich Town 2-2 Lincoln City

QPR 2-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 2-1 Bristol City

Ipswich Town 0-2 Fulham FC

Wigan Athletic 2-3 Ipswich Town

Blackburn Last 5 Matches - Currently in 22nd place with 24 points

QPR 1-2 Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Newcastle Utd

Huddersfield 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

Barnsley 2-0 Blackburn Rovers

Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading FC

Fixtures of Interest

LEEDS VS DERBY (FRIDAY)

BRENTFORD VS NEWCASTLE

WOLVES VS ASTON VILLA

SHEFF. WED VS HUDDERSFIELD

Marko's Caption Contest

THE DON CUP.

Scores:

Tangtastic 5pts
GoldnBlack 4pts
Derickipsw (whopsie) & Blueblood (post match) 3pts
Bluemike 2pts

League table

Gold&Black 45
DerickIpsw 41
Herforder 40
Nicscreamer 38
Blueblood 34
Frosty 32
Bluemike 32
Ando 31
Quasar 25
Tangfastic 22
Watership Down 17
Patthegimp 17
IpswichtownNo1 14
Number 9 12
Shed on Tour 12
Ashfordblue 6
LoudNProud 5;
Supershred 3
Longjohn 1
Foxy Lady 1
Barmy Billy 1
ItfcTrev76 1

Have a go at this:-

Match Referee – James Linington

Final Thought - Bluemike

The local press are asking the question, just what is Mick Mccarthy's tipping point ? When will we reach that point of no return ? If it isn't being outplayed & embarrassed at home by Lincoln City in the cup then god knows when we will ever reach the point of no return. I suppose defeat in the replay at Sincil Bank next week will also be acceptable to Marcus Evans given that his tolerance level knows no bounds. Listening to Mick's interviews after games are becoming more and more ludicrous with every passing game, I found it hard to comprehend the comments about why Jonathon Douglas was not brought on against Lincoln, Mick wasted no time in having a dig at the fans and while I do agree with him if I am honest you just can't be heard to be saying it out loud when you are the manager, I feel the relationship is getting worse and worse while the pressure of playing at home has become like the weight of the world on McCarthy's shoulders, it will only get worse from here on in.

The game itslef was actually quite enjoyable but for all the wrong reasons, being outplayed, outfought and outbattled by Non League Lincoln City, the 5000 fans who filled Portman Road's Cobbold Stand were a credit to their club and to Non League Football but lets be honest, it was only Ipswich Town they were playing so hardly a shock was it. All I can say is thank God for Tom Lawrence, the guy is on fire and where others seem to not give a damn Tom is carrying the team on almost single handed. I did read the article that we can only lose Lawrence IF we agree to such a ting, even if Leicester and Lawrence himself want to sell him this window they can't without our agreement to it, so we hold all the aces but having a player here who has been deprived a move would be counter productive for sure, let's hope this situation does not materialise.

Next up is Blackburn Rovers in what is a very important game for us as a win for Town would see us a good 10 points ahead of the bottom Three and that would take a lot of making up for those clubs down there. However be warned, any team that can turn Newcastle over twice in a matter of weeks and not concede a single goal in either fixture have to be respected, struggling they might be but they have proved they can get results and we are certainly no Newcastle !!! I have virtually given up trying to predict what we will do as I just never know what Town will show up, what we must not lose sight of is the fact that we actually played well against Bristol City & QPR so hope springs eternal, sod it then, Town win for me. COYB'S!

IPSWICH TOWN 2 BLACKBURN ROVERS 1

Andym

Re: Ipswich Town vs Blackburn Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

Despite the fact that "we played well against Bristol City" we made virtually no chances in the firat 70 minutes. If Mccarthy made done substitutions to turn the game round, he wrecked it at QPR with negative substitutions. We are still far too negative in out approach for me to see us scoring let alone winning game. Of course we will score at some point in the rest of the season and we will win a game or two. But game by game all I see is defeat. 2 - 0 to Blackburn.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

Don't think players care anymore and manager has totally lost any idea of best first eleven. Expect a hammering.

5-1 Blackburn

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm

I cant see us winning either :cry: so its a 1-3 win for Blackburn

Caption - Owen Coyle desperately tries to keep his false teeth in by pulling hard on his dental floss

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 pm

ITFC 1: BLACKBURN 1.

Good preview as ever. Jamma and Mike made some good points about Mick - and they've been loyal supporters of MM.

We're due a draw from Championship opposition - so go for a 1-1.

Caption:

Owen Coyle jumps for joy when quizzed on his new face-lift - "I look and feel years younger - and it does wonders for my smile. I feel a million dollars. "

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm

3-0 to us

or 3-0 to them

either way, there is 3 goals in the game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm

I'd like to see us put in a good performance, but I just don't see it. It's looking like Owen has tightened up the back line, so it will probably be difficult to score against Blackburn now. I think Blackburn will nick it 2-1.

Caption: "Owen Coyle after finding out Haggis has been added to the concessions."

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Caption: Owen Coyle shows delight after only being shot once by a yellow paint ball in a bon(dage).. I mean bonding session.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm the forever optimist Ipswich 2 Blackburn 0

Caption " I love showing off my best asset."

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Caption....

Owen Coyle celebrates becoming the longest serving Rovers manager since the war, exactly 8 days, 14hrs, 26mins,

James Linington to Coyle.. its the chairman on the phone Owen.

TOWN 2 ROVERS 0

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I think Town are at that crossroads now. And I can't really see any further than a miserable performance again and a defeat.

Town 0 - Blackburn 2

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:35 am

Two teams that are regularly erratic and disorganized and can expect minimal achievement by end of season. Maybe the home advantage will swing it our way, believe this is a game where we can once again add points to the campaign. Yes this is a poor Town squad, but this opposition could well be in worse condition than ourselves. (Ideal opportunity to pick up victory)

Ipswich 1 Blackburn 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 am

:lol: quality Don Cup caption effort there, Wolfie......, proper laugh out loud at that one.

Think this is a nailed on draw as far as bets go, but I'm seeing a Blackburn win in this. Hopefully not though.
1-2 Rovers.

Ref caption:

Linesman: Corner ref.
Ref: I sit and wait...,., does an angel......
Linesman: ref?
Ref: ......, contemplate my fate.....
Linesman: Ref, the karaoke was last night......,
Ref: ...... And do they know......
Linesman: REEEEEFFFF!!!!!

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Well, does anyone really have a scoobies as to how this one will turnout?! Consistently inconsistent - that's us; but we need this home win as much to restore some fragile confidence and belief, as much as the 3 points to calm those of an increasingly nervous disposition.

Going for a sitting on the fence, arse splintering, 1-1!

Caption comp - thought Woolfie's was brilliant:

#1. Owen Coyle celebrates scooping the Polygrip User of the Season Aaward. (Players left bemused - they thought it should've been Polyfilla!)

#2. Yeeess - all these square pegs fitted into one small round hole. Result!
Last edited by herforder on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

I have some tweezers all ready for you, :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:I have some tweezers all ready for you, :wink:

Ouch, ouch - whwah, that was a big barsteward! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:47 pm

herforder wrote:
hallamblue wrote:I have some tweezers all ready for you, :wink:

Ouch, ouch - whwah, that was a big barsteward! :D

:lol: :lol: I'm saying nothing

jeremy rusher

Post by jeremy rusher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Just hope we do not lose !! . Don,t think I can handle another McCarthy post match analysis trying to play down a poor defeat. Good chance of grabbing a nail biting point if we can score to get the equalizer..

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Think a nervy 2-1 home win.

Caption "yes! It's Ipswich next week"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 am

Caption:

"Yes Yes Yes ...... thank you Venky's !!!! ............ it's chicken for tea tonight"

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 am

Caption Comp:
Owen Coyle states his case to be the Joker in the next Batman movie..

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Great preview thanks for your help with all involved in collecting and displaying the information.
Like just about all of us I can't see a win for the boys. We are so poor just now I think that a rejuvenated Blackburn will offer a great deal of stubborn defence and won't venture too far from their own half. Not many goals so a 1-2 win to them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

So yet again we are down to the bare bones according to our great leader !! Sicknote McGoldrick is injured AGAIN, Sicknote Pitman is injured AGAIN, Sicknote Bishop is injured AGAIN, King of the sicknotes Jonny Williams is still.....yep you've guessed it, INJURED, long term Sicknote Hyam is always f**king INJURED, add to that Kenlock and things are looking quite good for tomorrow, on the bright side we have Leon Best back :astroll: :astroll: :astroll: and of course we have Jonas Knudsen, we're saved.

We really need a win here for all manner of reasons but when your two only fit strikers are the hopeless pair of Sears & Best what chance do you have, I was prediciting a win earlier in the week, can't for the life of me see it now, may scrape a draw.

CAPTION......" Owen Coyle leads the Lancashire version of the Haka as they go into battle with Town"
Ringa pakia
Uma tiraha
Turi whatia
Hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora
Tenei Te Tangata Puhuru huru
Nana nei tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa ne ka up ane
Upane, Kaupane
Whiti te ra

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 pm

bluemike wrote:So yet again we are down to the bare bones according to our great leader !! Sicknote McGoldrick is injured AGAIN, Sicknote Pitman is injured AGAIN, Sicknote Bishop is injured AGAIN, King of the sicknotes Jonny Williams is still.....yep you've guessed it, INJURED, long term Sicknote Hyam is always f**king INJURED, add to that Kenlock and things are looking quite good for tomorrow, on the bright side we have Leon Best back :astroll: :astroll: :astroll: and of course we have Jonas Knudsen, we're saved.

We really need a win here for all manner of reasons but when your two only fit strikers are the hopeless pair of Sears & Best what chance do you have, I was prediciting a win earlier in the week, can't for the life of me see it now, may scrape a draw.

CAPTION......" Owen Coyle leads the Lancashire version of the Haka as they go into battle with Town"
Ringa pakia
Uma tiraha
Turi whatia
Hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora
Tenei Te Tangata Puhuru huru
Nana nei tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa ne ka up ane
Upane, Kaupane
Whiti te ra
Clever mate.

Would you believe kids now need to learn basic Maori language in schools?

I have no problem with understanding the culture/history, but just how handy is 'Te Reo' when you are on holiday in Stockholm?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:51 pm

LOL, why Stockholm ????

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 pm

You learning some new moves at the Dancing Queen Abba Museum, Frosty?! :D

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Can see how stories get misconstrued :lol:

It was just a quip about Stockholm, it's mid summer here so am going nowhere soon

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 pm

You be careful how you go, mate...... People are murdered all the bloody time in "Mid summer" over here!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:42 pm

marko69 wrote:You be careful how you go, mate...... People are murdered all the bloody time in "Mid summer" over here!
lol

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:10 pm

I will be very unhappy if we do not win.