Ipswich Town vs Blackburn Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Take Revenge on Rovers?

Ipswich Win
42%
Blackburn Win
32%
Draw
26%

Total votes: 19

Tangfastic

Re: Ipswich Town vs Blackburn Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Funny, some ex-Ipswich players are not having such good days today. McAuley & Mings both scoring own goals so far..... Delaney not it's your turn..
Murphy just put Newcastle ahead.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:52 pm

saint jude wrote:The two goals occurred during the previous response, what can you do. In any event, that was some remarkable turnaround and surely even Mick McCarthy can't mess this one up. Maybe been another strike while submitting this but as it looks, we're in a very good position now to pick up valuable victory.
I will blame you if we don't win this ;)

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:59 pm

phewwwwww!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:12 pm

patthegimp wrote:phewwwwww!
Same here......., Dumbarton stinks.

Nice win, ITFC......, and good and bad day for you, Christophe but better to concentrate on the positives for today.

Wouldn't be surprised if Coyle is edging closer to the sack.

Good job Mick, TC & Co

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:15 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:No Ward, Pitman as well as Mcgoldrick. We are f*cked with that line up today I'm afraid
Told ya!! :lol: Great win Town first of 2017. :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:18 pm

I got final score as 3 - 2, an entertaining game for the neutrals, doubtless pure tension for fans of the two clubs involved.

First off this will be a vital morale boost for the Cup replay and while it saves McCarthy's hide for another league game there appeared real positives to be had particularly the Lawrence player who has made a real contribution since joining up.

A Norwich loss in this weekends round of fixtures also provides extra incentive so results went our way in the end. Didn't bother to check up on Lincoln today, will cross that bridge when we find it, but well done to all involved in providing a much needed victory and considerable expectation to take into subsequent games. We realize any chance of a top six finish is beyond us but on this day it came good and look forward to hearing extra information about the game i.e. crowd attendance, those who were there to witness the event etc.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Just goes to show actually give the fans something to shout about and we will!
Good fairly open game,just a bit worrying at the end sat back to much as usual but overall a good performane :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Well I feel pleasantly satisfied this evening, Three Points, Three goals, some decent football at times and a formation that myself and others have been craving for ages seems to be working. After Chambo's passionate tirade in the press yesterday it was so pleasing to see the fans getting right behind the team throughout the 90 minutes, I don't recall a single negative song or chant at all. No doubt it was helped by Town getting off to a good start and imposing themselves early on. The first real chance fell to Sears inside the opening 10 minutes but as is the norm he skewed it wide of the post when he really should have scored but it was a promising start from Town. Lawrence was alreadt standing out and it wasnt long before he set up Knudsen who sent his shot well wide of the goal. Rovers finally had a sniff of our goal it was the big man Bart who came rushing off his line to block what looked a very good chance for the visitors, it was a wake up call for Town who responded by getting on the front foot again. A couple of more innocuous chances went begging before we finally got the goal we deserved. Following a foul on Knudsen the freekick was played to Lawrence who drilled it low and hard under the wall and keeper and it to the net. Once again the lead was short lived as another Berra error gifted Rovers an equaliser, instead of hoofing the ball away (how ironic) he tried to be clever and play the ball out of defence, unfortunately he gave it straight to them and followin g a bit of a scramble the striker drilled it home to give Blackburn what for me was a totally undeserved share of the spoils.

I thought the line up and formation had worked well, Emmanuel was getting down the Right at will and causing their defence problems, while I felt Skuse was having one of his best games this season, mopping up loads and spraying the ball out to the wide players. Young Dozzell also impressed me with his running and closin g down, he was always looking for the ball and wasn't giving them time on the ball. At the back Chambers looked as solid as I can remember playing in the centre of a back Three.

Early in the second half Lawrence again tested the keeper with a shot from distance which was dealt with, however we didn't have to wait long to get back in front and what a well worked corner it was. Tom Lawrence whipped a lovely ball into the near post for Skusey to flick a header on and there was Berra steaming in at the back post to atone for his earlier error. We hadn't got our breath back when that man Lawrence stunned Portman Road with yet another absoulte screamer, watch it on Channel Five tonight, it seemed to swerve and dip all over the place before finding the top corner, it was a 30 yard rocket. By now the fans were singing and getting right behind the lads which was great to hear, it made such a difference.

As we neared the final third the impressive Dozzell was replaced by Grant Ward as Town continued to push forward, none of this negative let's sit back crap that we have become so used to. Skuse had an excellent chance to make it Four following good work by who else, lawrence but instead he tried to set up Sears who had his shot blocked by the keeper. As in true Town fashion we gift yet another soft goal to our opponents, this time Webster who I thought was shaky all afternoon adjudged to have fouled Akpan and Danny Graham made no mistake from the spot, 3-2 and still a few minutes to see out.

Apart from one crucial block from Chambers to thwart Graham we saw the remaining time out relatively comfortably although there was still time for Blackburn to appeal for another penalty against Emmanuel, thankfully the ref wasn't interested. It was without question a improved display by Town who tried to play some decent stuff at times, yes we had the expected dodgy moments at the back, this time Berra & Webster the culprits but overall we bossed much of the game and deserved the win. MOTM without question was once again Tom Lawrence, as we all sang "sign him up" " sign him up" it was as clear as day in todays market this guty will go for anything from 6-8 Million so forget it, he was simply superb again. Cole Skuse had what for me was his best game of the season while Dozzell, Emmanuel and Chambers also stood out.

Bart (7) Berra (6) Chambers (7) Webster (5) Emmanuel (7) Knudsen (5) Skuse (8) Bru (6) Dozzell (7) Sears (6) Lawrence (9)
SUBS :- Ward (6) Digby (5)

It's a start, something to build on and sends us into Tuesday nights cup replay in good spirits, play like that and we will win it, it's that simple, I don't think MM will play a weakened side as we have very few players to bring in. Let's not get too carried away, after all it was only Blackburn, just what Newcastle said twice !!!! Well done to the fans today, the interview by our captain definitely had a positive effect on the afternoon, for a change it felt like we were all as one again. Let's hope it lasts. COYB'S

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 pm

How good it felt to come away from PR and think I enjoyed that and was entertained.
Yes there are still plenty of things which need improving on but at least today for the majority of the time we kept the ball on the deck and knocked it around nicely at times. Lawrence was by far the class act on the pitch but unfortunately will be well out of our price range and even if we could afford him I think he will end up at a Premiership club should Leicester decide to sell him.
Obviously we have had many false dawns recently and it is quite possible we will be brought back down to earth again on Tuesday night but for the moment I am just going to enjoy my Saturday evening and haven't been able to say that for a while.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 pm

bluejacko wrote:Just goes to show actually give the fans something to shout about and we will!
Good fairly open game,just a bit worrying at the end sat back to much as usual but overall a good performane :D
It will nice to see the footie at 9pm...I usually don't bother.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:28 am

Encouraging to see MM persist with the wing-backs. Thought he might go back to Skuse-Doiglas in the centre. Would be good to see Kenlock in for Knudsen when he's fit.

Still got errors and soft goals in defence, but we've got goals ( as long as Lawrence is there).

We're not getting relegated, but not getting promoted. That's a nice problem if you genuinely want to integrate young players into the side for next season.

The reliance on Lawrence is a worry. He won't be here next year. It's good for us at the moment to give the club a lift, but it shouldn't paper over the cracks..... we've got to plan for a life without Lawrence next year.

We'll play better teams and probably get spanked, but MM's got to persist with a more youthful and attacking approach with an eye to next year.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:50 am

True about Lawrence, however we all said that last season about Fraser and Lawrence came along. If we can pick up a quality premier player like this every season and have them for the whole season it's fine by me.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:00 am

Exactly. I wish people would stop saying that he's not one of ours. He is one of ours until the end of the season. After that then who knows what will happen, and the same applies to every other member of our squad.

We are really lucky to have him and let's hope the goals keep on coming.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I understand people saying, "he's not one of ours" and I can hear the frustration. When ITFC do bring through a decent player, he's off for several mill to another club, and ITFC remain in the championship. I know it's going round and round......, but even with a certain level of investment, Mevans could potentially get ITFC to the promised land, and maybe hold on to their own decent players.
It's all very well one Ryan Fraser arriving, or one Lawrence, but it's definitely only really good enough to sustain Championsip status. Ipswich need several very good players, and be able to keep them, without other teams sniffing around, ...... And unfortunately Norwich City are at a level to be one of the "sniffers"....... That's not a good feeling for Ipswich fans.

The fans aren't asking for masses of investment, just enough to maybe consistently challenge the top six. Should they be lucky enough to win a play off final, (or finish top 2!!!) then perhaps the Frasers and Lawrence's would STAY....... The club could afford their astronomical wages.

If anyone on here had said as early as 2009 that Bournemouth would be in the EPL and surviving, they'd be laughed at. It can be done. But year on year it's getting more difficult.

SKY TVS fault........, and of course Roy fkn Keanes fault too.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:49 pm

marko69 wrote:I understand people saying, "he's not one of ours" and I can hear the frustration. When ITFC do bring through a decent player, he's off for several mill to another club, and ITFC remain in the championship. I know it's going round and round......, but even with a certain level of investment, Mevans could potentially get ITFC to the promised land, and maybe hold on to their own decent players.
It's all very well one Ryan Fraser arriving, or one Lawrence, but it's definitely only really good enough to sustain Championsip status. Ipswich need several very good players, and be able to keep them, without other teams sniffing around, ...... And unfortunately Norwich City are at a level to be one of the "sniffers"....... That's not a good feeling for Ipswich fans.

The fans aren't asking for masses of investment, just enough to maybe consistently challenge the top six. Should they be lucky enough to win a play off final, (or finish top 2!!!) then perhaps the Frasers and Lawrence's would STAY....... The club could afford their astronomical wages.

If anyone on here had said as early as 2009 that Bournemouth would be in the EPL and surviving, they'd be laughed at. It can be done. But year on year it's getting more difficult.

SKY TVS fault........, and of course Roy fkn Keanes fault too.
Lawrence was at Blackburn last season and was poor by all accounts, which shows how difficult player recruitment can be.

As for nodge, apparently they can't bring anyone in without selling first.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:Lawrence was at Blackburn last season and was poor by all accounts, which shows how difficult player recruitment can be.

Which leads me to think that there really isn't anything wrong with Mick McCarthy. He's getting the best out of Lawrence.

And Nodge?? Is that true what you say? So these parachute payments aren't really worth that much?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mr.Punch wrote:Lawrence was at Blackburn last season and was poor by all accounts, which shows how difficult player recruitment can be.

Which leads me to think that there really isn't anything wrong with Mick McCarthy. He's getting the best out of Lawrence.

And Nodge?? Is that true what you say? So these parachute payments aren't really worth that much?
Yes ive read that about the scum, need to sell before they can buy, Olsson on his way tomorrow for 4.5 Million and by all accounts Brady could follow soon after for a reputed 10 Million. As for the parachute money it is a big advantage but somehow the scum have managed to establish themselves as a mediocre mid table championship side WITH these payments LOL, they've lost more games than us for christ sake :D :D :D

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:48 pm

marko69 wrote:

That's what they were saying on Radio Suffolk yesterday, they have 'better quality' players on much bigger wages but there isn't loads left over, so they need to off-load wage earners before bringing new ones in.
The clear difference between us and them is that, although we both need to wheel & deal, they are doing it at a higher level (at least financially).

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Could've so "easily" been ITFC doing the deals at a higher level. I say easily..... Just using Roy fkn Keanes terminology.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:49 pm

3 central defenders, wing backs and passing football. Keep it up Mick. Coyb

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks for the report Mike, it was quite encouraging to read so many positives, what a difference a week can make in football...... even better that the boo boys were kept quiet.

Maybe we can come away with a win on Tuesday and pick up some prize money to add to the TV fee, a good win would also be good for morale. I just hope he puts a strong side out and takes it seriously.

Enjoy your trip to Sincil Bank.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 am

bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Yes ive read that about the scum, need to sell before they can buy, Olsson on his way tomorrow for 4.5 Million and by all accounts Brady could follow soon after for a reputed 10 Million. As for the parachute money it is a big advantage but somehow the scum have managed to establish themselves as a mediocre mid table championship side WITH these payments LOL, they've lost more games than us for christ sake :D :D :D
Yes, but they've obviously won more than us.

I actually would not rule NCFC out of making the top six yet. They're on a terrible run, but yet when they win.... they seem to win big. I reckon they are far more capable than us to put a run together and this league is weird.... put some kind of run together and you leapfrog up that league. Having said that, loving them drop points and see the gap widen from 6th place.

Agree with Marko somewhere back in the thread .... we need to bring other players in that can take us forward so that we have a chance to buy these star-loanees so that its not a perpetual treading water cycle. No guarantee we will get a Fraser or a Lawtence next time. We'll see by end of the window.

Disagree slightly about MM getting the best out of loanees. Not impressed with MM/TC's abilities in improving players in general and think these guys were ready to hit their straps from previous clubs experiences.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Definitely a better performance. Until the first goal it wasn't very good. But the goal seemed to give us confidence that remained even after the equaliser. A harsh penalty in my opinion but thought the Emmanuel incident at the death was a penalty.

Among the positives not already mentioned: I thought Sears led the attack well, looking more dangerous than when out wide. Several good shots and unlucky not to score. Knudsen looked more comfortable being able to get forward more. Emmanuel very good. Like Knudsen he's probably better getting forward than he is as a defender.

Negatives for me:
Chambers played well but the other two at the back struggled. Berra basically is a central defender and was poor when the system needed him to cover wide.

Bru tried with his forward passing game but didn't always succeed. He chickened out of two 50-50 balls, the second just before he was subbed. I like him because he tries to move the ball forward quickly, but he rarely if ever wins a ball in the tackle.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Andym wrote:Definitely a better performance. Until the first goal it wasn't very good. But the goal seemed to give us confidence that remained even after the equaliser. A harsh penalty in my opinion but thought the Emmanuel incident at the death was a penalty.

Among the positives not already mentioned: I thought Sears led the attack well, looking more dangerous than when out wide. Several good shots and unlucky not to score. Knudsen looked more comfortable being able to get forward more. Emmanuel very good. Like Knudsen he's probably better getting forward than he is as a defender.

Negatives for me:
Chambers played well but the other two at the back struggled. Berra basically is a central defender and was poor when the system needed him to cover wide.

Bru tried with his forward passing game but didn't always succeed. He chickened out of two 50-50 balls, the second just before he was subbed. I like him because he tries to move the ball forward quickly, but he rarely if ever wins a ball in the tackle.
And that is exactly why I have no time for him, he is a fans favourite cus he has a stupid bloody name where as Douglas who has never shirked a tackle gets treated like the Yorkshire Ripper !!! Unreal.

You thought Sears was unlucky with his finishing Andy ?? I thought it was just woeful.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 am

To save a new thread, today Coyle departed from this opposition with immediate effect. Some ambiguity over the true circumstances, some say he left of his own free will, others have it that he was in fact fired by the Venkys Group owners.

By all accounts they played very well this past weekend with Manchester United in the FA Cup and showed far more interest and desire than a lot of others teams in the competition but guess the rot had set in long before it. A few weeks back there may have been some interest about his services such was McCarthy and the teams then ineptitude, but now not a name few would consider. Wish him well in future employment opportunities, just didn't work out for him with this particular club side.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

OH my days, Tony Mowbray PMSL, a muppett of a manager. Doomed.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 pm

How on earth could any reasonable person pick Mowbray over Coyle?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 am

Questionable appointment, may offer stability but no real hope of actual progression. Would be unfortunate to see if correct one of the founder members of the football league fall into the third tier of 'football' by season's end, but Mowbray should have enough to keep them up and furthermore, he's contracted for eighteen months there, but should they keep their league status, can't imagine them making any great impact from August and beyond.

Seems the appointment was made in hurry, no real sense of time or consideration. Don't like to speak ill of Mowbray, he was a very good club servant at this club, and a standalone individual of fine caliber, but guessing there were other names available that could have provided the Lancashire outfit with a more realistic chance of achievement.