Ranieri Sacked !

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Ranieri Sacked !

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Manager Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Leicester City, nine months after leading them to the Premier League title.

The Foxes are one point above the relegation zone with 13 matches left.

"The board reluctantly feels that a change of leadership, while admittedly painful, is necessary in the club's greatest interest," read a statement.

Ranieri, 65, guided the Foxes to the title despite them being rated 5,000-1 shots at the start of the campaign.

His departure comes less than 24 hours after a 2-1 defeat at Spanish side Sevilla in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

The Foxes won the Premier League by 10 points but have won just five top-flight games so far this season, and could become the first defending champions to be relegated since 1938.

They have lost their past five league matches and are the only side in the top four English divisions without a league goal in 2017.
An incredible demise after last seasons title win, in truth it was a ridiculous thing for Leicester to be champions.

goldandblack

Re: Ranieri Sacked !

Post by goldandblack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Well that just about sums up football today, Sick.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 am

Gary Lineker summed it up well when he said....

"After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable and gut-wrenchingly sad,"

I think many fans will share his thoughts.

So far this evening Leicester City fans have voted 15000 to lease than 1000 that he shouldn't have been sacked.

The reaction of fans for Monday Nights fixture with Liverpool at The King Power will be very interesting.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 am

bluemike wrote:
Manager Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Leicester City, nine months after leading them to the Premier League title.

The Foxes are one point above the relegation zone with 13 matches left.

"The board reluctantly feels that a change of leadership, while admittedly painful, is necessary in the club's greatest interest," read a statement.

Ranieri, 65, guided the Foxes to the title despite them being rated 5,000-1 shots at the start of the campaign.

His departure comes less than 24 hours after a 2-1 defeat at Spanish side Sevilla in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

The Foxes won the Premier League by 10 points but have won just five top-flight games so far this season, and could become the first defending champions to be relegated since 1938.

They have lost their past five league matches and are the only side in the top four English divisions without a league goal in 2017.
An incredible demise after last seasons title win, in truth it was a ridiculous thing for Leicester to be champions.
I think it shows a clear lack of respect to label their achievement as 'ridiculous'. Unexpected for sure, but in retrospect not much different from ourselves in '62. Simply obtained an honor that no-one could have seen coming, not even from within the respective club sides.

This firing incident is just enough example of owners who don't give a f*ck about anything or anyone but themselves. Seriously this news item is unreal. You deliver a clubs greatest achievement and a few months down the line are forced out of the job ? Apparently the leading favorites are Rowett and Pardew for replacement and this is a crash of epic proportions.

I'd look to former players such as Steve Walsh or Claridge as potential names. Former crowd favorites that could really do a job and motivate the team in it's hour of need. Got to feel sympathy with Ranieri himself, not his fault his (ex) employers were a bunch of sorry asses, but while it's still fresh in the memory, what you achieved was something that was nothing short of extraordinary. Any club with any sense should jump at the chance to bring him in while the opportunity presents itself.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 am

Whilst i don't think Leicester City winning the League was ridiculous I do think it would be ridiculous to appoint either Steve Walsh or Steve Claridge to take over at The King Power Stadium as neither have any relevant experience.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 am

Charnwood wrote:Whilst i don't think Leicester City winning the League was ridiculous I do think it would be ridiculous to appoint either Steve Walsh or Steve Claridge to take over at The King Power Stadium as neither have any relevant experience.
Apologize, I hadn't seen your reply.

Way I see it, you're looking at two former players that have reached almost legendary status and scored goals in club history that provided actual team honors. Yes maybe they don't possess the required experience but the fans of Leicester could really embrace such an appointment. Right now, observing from a neutral perspective, it could be a more interesting proposition than projected names such as Rowett or any other associated candidates.

Bottom line, if the owners of Leicester City were absurd enough to discard of Ranieri (after his achievement), what's to prevent the idea that someone like Walsh or Claridge could feasibly come in and take over ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 am

Most certainly Steve Walsh has legendary status with the fans and is a regular visitor/guest at City home games but he also has a business to run and had been out of the game for the best part of 15 years.

Current favourite according to local press appears to be Roberto Mancini who would certainly have more appropriate qualities.

Given Ranieri only recently signed a new enhanced 4 year contract his departure is certainly going to be costly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 am

SJ what the f*ck are you waffling on about now with this lack of respect bullshit ? I was actually paying them a compliment in as much as it was totally ridiculous that they could win the thing with so many big clubs to compete against. Please stick to prattling on about how ITFC should have won the FA Cup the last 4 years in a row, that seems to appear in nearly every bloody post you write.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 am

At the end of last season I said to the better half that it wouldn't surprise me if they sacked Ranieri if things went badly this year.
As G&B says it sums up the game completely now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 am

Walsh or Claridge? Are you for real? Jaysus H.

Kick in the nuts for Leicester fans if Pardew walks through the door.

If i was a Leicester fan, all names mentioned so far in the press are not good enough to take over from Claudio Ranieri. Theyre looking for an Antonio Conti and they ain't going to find one any time soon.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm not surprised. LCFC are rubbish this year. They're on a one way road to relegation. CR has lost the dressing room...it seems. Agree with Marko...the owners will be looking for a bigger name to take over. Thanks for the memories CR...now p*ss off.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 pm

If you can barsk in the plaudits of last season,you have to accept responsibility in this one. Unfair but nobody ever said life or football for that matter is fair.

Wish him all the best, I cant see him out of work for long.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:31 pm

One thing for sure after bagging the money from the 3yrs 6mths remaining of the new 4yr contract he signed at the start of the season he certainty won't be in need of the money.

I'm guessing his payoff will be the best part of £10m.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:51 am

It's a dramatic turnaround indeed. But Leicester are going only one way this season and something needs to be done. Personally I think they gave him plenty of time to sort things out and when things go bad so quickly there is always the worry that the magic has just evaporated.

They miss one player very badly and it's been clear all season but I doubt whether they sold him willingly so it's life.

£10m payoff will seem like good business if the next manager (Hiddink?) keeps them up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm

May seem harsh, but I can't see how Leicester have any choice. The dressing room has been lost and they're nose-diving towards relegation.

What Leicester achieved last year was great for football - and Ranieri's job he did will stay in the record books - but you can't keep living off real-life fairy tales. The bubble burst (that's no surprise) and they need to do all they can to keep in the EPL.
I'm actually very surprised the level of criticism from the pundits towards Leicester. In this day and age - it's a no-brainer. Leicester looks like relegation certs with Ranieri still there - they have to do something. Maybe LCFC could have handled it better - but they could also have sacked him earlier and there's no good way to sack someone (actually there is - a big pay-off which Ranieri will receive).

I didn't see the pundits telling us 18 months ago that Leicester would win the title. In fact, going back 18 months, Leicester are where you would expect them. They're just paying for over-achieving and someone at that club has to make a tough decision now , not Twitter-whores like Lineker, etc who ride on the back of any good-feel story as long as they can take the moral high ground when it goes tits-up.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:40 am

:astroll: Erm yes and Mick needs to think himself arshole lucky that we are not a sacking club, after some of the sh*t performances he's allowed to turn out, we are fortunate that the players he's just brought in are more lively and up for it, but I still say we need a new manager in the summer

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

We should all think ourselves lucky that Town are not a sacking club because had they sacked Sir Bobby when it was a possibility we would never have won the two cups and built the great side of the 70s and 80s

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm

bluemike wrote:We should all think ourselves lucky that Town are not a sacking club because had they sacked Sir Bobby when it was a possibility we would never have won the two cups and built the great side of the 70s and 80s

Very true Mike, but Bobby Robson as I recall was only at risk in his early days and by the time we got to his 5th year in the job we were really starting to rock and roll. From year five we went on a nine year run of never finishing below 6th place in the top tier of English football.

Very different to where we are now.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Different times from the 70's and 80's.

The Bobby Robson story is fantastic, but wouldn't have minded John Duncan, Keane and Jewell being sacked earlier.

After 4+ years, I don't think MM is building anything..... just treading water.

I hope personally Mick moves on in the summer. He's done his bit and we need fresh blood.

Done properly both parties can move on and we should have time for bring someone in, without knee-jerk sackings / appointments.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Whilst I disapproved the sacking of Claudio Ranieri, Leicester City's results immediately following his exit appear to vindicate their Chairmans brutal decision.

Clearly he'd lost the dressing room with his attempts to change Leicesters style of play which has now gone back to basics.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 pm

A classic case of player power if you ask me, down tools, get shot of the boss and then start playing again, bloody disgrace if you ask me, hope they go down.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Yip ^ spot on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:00 pm

bluemike wrote:A classic case of player power if you ask me, down tools, get shot of the boss and then start playing again, bloody disgrace if you ask me, hope they go down.

I'm certainly in the same camp as you an this one Mike, unfortunately I think it's very unlikely to happen.