Ipswich Town v Brentford preview and matchay thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blues or Bees?

Ipswich Town win
69%
Draw
15%
Brentford win
15%

Total votes: 13

Andym

Re: Ipswich Town v Brentford preview and matchay thread

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:40 pm

herforder wrote:No doubt it was a poor match - not helped by a distinctly average ref.

I think most would have been more than happy with MM's starting line up - some perhaps preferring 'Big Dave' to Skuse - and the expectation was that we would continue our upwards momentum. But, as against other 'in your face' teams, we struggled to impose our game on them, and became increasingly ragged and defensive, conceding too much time and space as a consequence. The disappointment comes from the performance not meeting expectations, and the fact that our strongest offensive eleven had to be changed to stop Brentford and keep the point, as opposed to trying to push on and win the match. Something, on the day, that was unlikely

But it's done, and no point in dwelling too much on it, or letting it affect confidence. Wolves here on Tuesday provides a perfect opportunity to get back on the horse. But every player needs to be at 100% from the first whistle, and ensure it's us who boss the opening, middle and final parts of the match!
I did agree with the starting 11. Skuse was, for the second game running, our most effective midfielder. He's actually getting forward more now and I think he's playing the best he has done since joining Ipswich. Unfortunately he still lacks pace and isn't quick enough to spot a good pass, but he was still far better than the other 2 in midfield.

The problem to me is that we aren't "in-your-face" enough against a team who can pass the ball. That should have been the tactic from the first minute. We
know how they play. But we gave them space all over the pitch. I never have understood the philosophy of "give them space on the wing, and when the ball goes out we'll move towards them." Why not close them down to make the pass difficult?

Also, there is no sin in changing tactics when things aren't going well. MM occasionally gets it right but in all honesty I think his changes are usually ineffective. As I said I believe bringing on the pace of Sears would have forced Brentford's back one to stay further back, thus giving us more space as we know we struggle as you so rightly say when closed down. Moore proved to be the wrong choice, but more importantly it was 35 minutes too late. The change was needed at half time.

herforder

Re: Ipswich Town v Brentford preview and matchay thread

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Andym wrote:
herforder wrote:No doubt it was a poor match - not helped by a distinctly average ref.

I think most would have been more than happy with MM's starting line up - some perhaps preferring 'Big Dave' to Skuse - and the expectation was that we would continue our upwards momentum. But, as against other 'in your face' teams, we struggled to impose our game on them, and became increasingly ragged and defensive, conceding too much time and space as a consequence. The disappointment comes from the performance not meeting expectations, and the fact that our strongest offensive eleven had to be changed to stop Brentford and keep the point, as opposed to trying to push on and win the match. Something, on the day, that was unlikely

But it's done, and no point in dwelling too much on it, or letting it affect confidence. Wolves here on Tuesday provides a perfect opportunity to get back on the horse. But every player needs to be at 100% from the first whistle, and ensure it's us who boss the opening, middle and final parts of the match!
I did agree with the starting 11. Skuse was, for the second game running, our most effective midfielder. He's actually getting forward more now and I think he's playing the best he has done since joining Ipswich. Unfortunately he still lacks pace and isn't quick enough to spot a good pass, but he was still far better than the other 2 in midfield.

The problem to me is that we aren't "in-your-face" enough against a team who can pass the ball. That should have been the tactic from the first minute. We
know how they play. But we gave them space all over the pitch. I never have understood the philosophy of "give them space on the wing, and when the ball goes out we'll move towards them." Why not close them down to make the pass difficult?

Also, there is no sin in changing tactics when things aren't going well. MM occasionally gets it right but in all honesty I think his changes are usually ineffective. As I said I believe bringing on the pace of Sears would have forced Brentford's back one to stay further back, thus giving us more space as we know we struggle as you so rightly say when closed down. Moore proved to be the wrong choice, but more importantly it was 35 minutes too late. The change was needed at half time.
All agreed. A concern must be the reason for MM's reluctance/inability to recognise when either the formation isn't working, or when individuals are not performing, or being 'bossed' by the opposition. And then to make the changes that might make us better equipped to impose our game, or nullify the opposition's game plan. Before our recent improvement, he had very limited options from the bench; now, however, we're a bit stronger in terms of options/quality - but somehow he doesn't necessarily make the best or timely use.