Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers preview & game thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A chance to turn a point into all 3?

Ipswich Town win
50%
Draw
8%
Wolverhampton Wanderers win
42%

Total votes: 12

Jamma123

Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers preview & game thread

Post by Jamma123 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton WanderersImage

Tuesday 7th March 2017 – 19:45

Portman Road

Opening Thought – Jamma

After our recent excellent run of form, there was always going to be some kind of drop-off in our level of performances. If there were signs at Carrow Road last weekend that our February exploits were starting to catch up with us, the display against Brentford certainly didn’t reach the heights of the Blues’ previous home clashes with Reading and Leeds. Mick McCarthy’s comment that one of the few positives to take out of the game was that we didn’t lose it just about summed up this distinct shortfall in quality. McCarthy’s opposite number, Dean Smith, was honest enough to admit that neither team had done enough to win, interestingly the second opposition manager in two home matches to cite the Portman Road surface as a contributing factor. Bartosz Bialkowski had a quieter day at the office than in the derby, the only other time he was called upon being when he barely got enough on a Sergi Canos shot which was cleared off the line by Myles Kenlock. But, apart from a 20-minute spell around Emyr Huws’ well taken goal, Ipswich were second best to the lively Bees. There may not have been anything to choose between the two sides’ cutting edge – or lack thereof – but Brentford’s passing was crisper, their movement sharper and their possession more assured. Even when Town have struggled to match their opponents’ quality on the ball this season, there haven’t been too many occasions when you could question our hunger and desire. Maybe there was a somewhat inevitable element of ‘After the Lord Mayor’s show’ about Saturday (Norwich will know all about that :wink:), but it was worrying how frequently the ball seemed to fall to a man in red and white, more often than not the imperious Ryan Woods in the middle of the park. Our only half-chances fell to the equally impressive Cole Skuse, the second following a sublime move towards the end. But, even if Skuse had managed to conjure up only his second goal in 150 appearances for the Blues, it wouldn’t have masked what was otherwise an underwhelming afternoon.

Mick is right to highlight the consolation of earning a point when earlier in the campaign we would have got nothing. It is true when they say that you don’t always get what you deserve in football. Town fans can point to a number of examples from 2016/17 alone when we haven’t got the results that our performances have merited – the recent outings against Reading and Leeds two examples that spring to mind where a point could easily have been all three. But that sometimes works the other way too, and a team picks up a barely deserved draw from a sub-standard display. As McCarthy said after the game, Saturday was one of those days when you just have to take the point and be thankful for it. Our next opponents, Wolves, may have been thinking something similar after the 0-0 stalemate at Molineux in August, as a Daryl Murphy goal was wrongly chalked off for offside. It might be pushing it a bit to suggest that revenge will be playing on the Blues’ minds, but there always seems to be something extra riding on matches against Wolves, given Mick McCarthy’s history with them. The team from the Black Country have slipped dangerously close to the relegation trapdoor on the back of five straight defeats in the league. But many of their better results have come away from home, with wins at Barnsley and, in the FA Cup, Liverpool and Stoke to their name in recent weeks. As so often in the Championship, they will be a team not to be taken for granted, but equally one from which we should be looking to get maximum points.

The Opposition Wolverhampton Wanderers

The club was founded in 1877 as St. Luke's and later merged with local cricket and football club The Wanderers to form Wolverhampton Wanderers in August 1879.

Having become professional, the club were nominated to become one of the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888. They ended the inaugural season in third place, as well as reaching their first FA Cup final, losing to Preston North End. At the conclusion of the campaign, the club relocated to the Molineux.

Wolves lifted the FA Cup for the first time in 1893 and added a second triumph in 1908, two years after having dropped into the Second Division.

After struggling for many years to regain their place in the top division, the club suffered a further relegation in 1923, entering the Third Division (North), which they won at the first attempt.

Eight years later, Wolves regained their top-flight status after winning the Second Division title under Major Frank Buckley. With Buckley at the helm, the team became established as one of the leading club sides in England in the years leading up to the Second World War, as they finished runners-up in the league twice in succession, as well as reaching the last pre-war FA Cup final, in which they suffered a shock defeat to Portsmouth.

When league football resumed, Wolves suffered yet another final day failure in the First Division. Just as in 1938, victory in their last match would have won the title but a 1–2 loss to title rivals Liverpool gave them the championship instead.

In 1949, Stan Cullis's first season in charge, he led Wolves to a first major honour in 41 years as they beat Leicester to lift the FA Cup and, a year later, only goal average prevented Wolves from winning the league title.

The 1950s were by far the most successful period in the club's history. Wolves finally claimed the league championship for the first time in 1953–54. Two further titles were soon won in successive years (1957–58 and 1958–59), as Wolves cemented their position as the premier team in English football.

Although the decade opened with a fourth FA Cup victory and almost the first double of the twentieth century, the 1960s saw Wolves begin to decline. Cullis was sacked in September 1964, in a season that ended with relegation and the club's first spell outside the top division in more than thirty years. This exile would last only two seasons, though, as they were promoted in 1967 as runners-up.

The club's return to the English top flight heralded another period of relative success under Bill McGarry, with a fourth place in 1971 qualifying them for the newly-created UEFA Cup, in which they reached the final, losing to Tottenham on aggregate.

They lifted silverware, though, two years later, when they won the League Cup for the first time by beating Manchester City in the final. Despite relegation again in 1976, Wolves bounced back at the first attempt as Second Division champions and, under manager John Barnwell, the turn of the decade saw them finish in the top six and win the 1980 League Cup.

The multi-million-pound rebuilding of the Molineux Street Stand in 1979 was to be the catalyst for the club's near financial ruin during the following decade, as difficulties in repaying the loans taken out to fund it led to receivership and relegation in 1982. The club was "saved" from liquidation at the last minute when it was purchased by a consortium fronted by former player Derek Dougan. Initially, this takeover, financed by two Saudi brothers, Mahmud and Mohammad Bhatti of the company Allied Properties, brought immediate promotion back to the First Division under manager Graham Hawkins, but the Bhattis' failure to sufficiently invest in the club soon saw things unravel as the team suffered three consecutive relegations under different managers through the football divisions, as well as the almost constant threat of the club being wound up.

In 1986, with the club again in receivership, a deal saw Wolverhampton City Council purchase the club's stadium and surrounding land, while a local developer paid off the club's outstanding debts in return for planning permission to develop the land adjacent to the stadium. The new season saw Wolves' first ever campaign in the Fourth Division. The team reached the final of the inaugural play-offs but were denied promotion by Aldershot. However, the final two seasons of the decade saw the team achieve both the Fourth and Third Division championship, and also win the Football League Trophy at Wembley in 1988.

Lifelong fan Sir Jack Hayward purchased the club in 1990 and immediately funded the extensive redevelopment of the by now dilapidated Molineux into a modern all-seater stadium. With work completed in 1993, Hayward turned his investment into the club’s playing side in an attempt to win promotion to the newly-formed Premier League. Yet, despite this substantial spending, neither Graham Taylor nor Mark McGhee could fulfil this, both leading the team to play-off defeats at the semi-final stage (in 1995 and 1997 respectively).

It was not until 2003 that Wolves were promoted, when they defeated Sheffield United in the play-off final under Dave Jones to end a nineteen-year absence from the top level. Their stay proved short-lived, though, as they were immediately relegated back to the newly-retitled Championship.

After former England manager Glenn Hoddle failed to bring a swift return, the rebuilding of the squad by Mick McCarthy rejuvenated the club with an unexpected play-off finish. The club was bought by Steve Morgan in 2007, and two years later it returned to the Premier League as Championship champions. Wolves successfully battled relegation for two seasons before 2011–12 saw McCarthy's dismissal precipitate the drop under his assistant Terry Connor.

Following relegation, Norwegian Ståle Solbakken became the club's first overseas manager but his reign lasted only six months before a poor run of results saw him replaced by Dean Saunders in January 2013. Saunders failed to bring any upturn, culminating in both relegation to League One and his own dismissal.

Following this, Kenny Jackett was appointed in May 2013 in the retitled position of Head Coach, and led the team back to the Championship in his first season, setting a new club record points total of 103 in winning League One.

In 2014/15, Wolves almost made it to the play-offs, finishing on the same number of points as Town (78 points) but one place behind us in 7th due to goal difference.

Last season never looked like reaching the same heights, with Wolves finally finishing up in 14th place in the table.

On 21 July 2016, it was confirmed that Fosun International had bought the club from Steve Morgan, for an undisclosed amount, with Jez Moxey stepping down from his role as CEO. On 29 July 2016, Wolves announced that Kenny Jackett's contract with the club had been terminated. Former Italian international Walter Zenga was appointed the following day.

Zenga was axed and, on 5 November 2016, Paul Lambert was appointed new Head Coach, with the team down in 19th place.

The Gaffer – Paul Lambert

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

A look back to a 2-2 draw from this fixture last season. Let's hope we can take all 3 points off a struggling Wolves team.

Media Watch - K L Blue

Tommy Smith on his return:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31273/

MM interview:

http://www.sudburymercury.co.uk/sport/r ... _1_4916610

MM on Brentford match:

http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... 08198.aspx

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 15th place with 43 points

Ipswich Town 1-1 Brentford FC

Norwich City 1-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-1 Leeds United

Brighton 1-1 Ipswich Town

Aston Villa 0-1 Ipswich Town

Wolves Last 5 Matches – Currently in 21st place with 35 points

Reading FC 2-1 Wolverhampton

Wolverhampton P-P Huddersfield

Wolverhampton 1-2 Birmingham City

Wolverhampton 0-2 Chelsea FC

Wolverhampton 0-1 Wigan Athletic

Fixtures of Interest

BIRMINGHAM VS WIGAN

HUDDERSFIELD VS ASTON VILLA

FOREST VS BRENTFORD

QPR VS BARNSLEY

Match Referee – Darren Deadman

Final Thought – Bluemike

Stats can be so misleading, especially where we are concerned. One defeat in eight or two wins in ten. – both are correct so you decide how Town have been doing these last few weeks. For me, we are on a very good run, especially when you consider the teams we have been up against of late. OK, the Brentford game was poor, we didn't really show up and were second best for long spells, but we didn't lose and that is the only pleasing thing to come out of Saturday's game. I stand by my beliefs that the Town faithful are as fickle as f*ck. I heard such comments as "A big step backwards as we played for a point" or " Things will never change under MM, just go", etc., etc.. I'm sorry, but things have been changing recently. We have seen a marked improvement. Whether you want him to stay or go is fine but idiotic comments like that just sum up the average Town fan these days for me. We will not become the finished article just like that. We will still have bad days and if a 1-1 draw at home to Brentford when not playing well is a bad day then I will take that, for sure. The debate has often raged about who lifts who, the players or the fans? Well I am often told it is the players’ job to lift the fans so why when we went one up was the bloody place like a morgue again? It was obvious the players were toiling but still led the game. We were needed but, like some of the players, the crowd yet again failed to turn up. Just saying.

The day is fast approaching when season ticket renewal letters will be dropping on our floors. It is going to be really interesting, if not just a little bit worrying, to see what the uptake is like. Clearly they won't be hiking up prices. In fact, I think they will do nothing – a freeze is the best we can hope for. Will this be enough to appease disgruntled fans? No doubt our season ticket numbers will drop, but to what level?? We say this every season but the summer looks to be building up to be one of the most interesting for years down Portman Road, with many issues to be resolved – MM staying or going?? This for me depends on the budget Marcus Evans hands him, Berra, Chambers, Pitman, etc., etc. staying or going?? Can we secure the likes of Huws, Spence and Diagouraga?? And, most importantly, what signings (if any) can we lure to the club? Yes indeed, it should be a very interesting close season this time around.

One of this season’s biggest surprises for me is the poor showing by our next opponents, Wolves. I didn't exactly see them as top six material, but I sure as hell expected better than a genuine relegation scrap, which is where they find themselves. We know from his time at Norwich that Paul Lambert is a very good Championship manager. We also know that the Wolves like to splash the cash. I mean £13 million on Helder Costa alone is crazy money. I have repeatedly said money does not buy success. This is a classic example. It doesn't stop there either – Ben Marshall, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Andreass Weimann, etc., etc.. It would be a major shock to see Wolves go down but it could happen. Six defeats in the last seven league games is terrible form and, when you still have to play Fulham, Brighton, Leeds, Huddersfield & Derby to name but five, it could get a whole lot worse. I think it is fair to say they need a win against us. Unfortunately for them, I can see us edging home in this one to heap more pressure on them. COYBs.

IPSWICH TOWN 2 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers preview & game thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Nice job getting this done on the Sunday night. Well done.

3-0 ITFC.

Ref:
Newspaper headline:
DEADMAN SEES GHOST.
The story.
English Referee, Darren Deadman saw Ghost today. He is pictured above saying to girlfriend, "This film is sh*t, honey, I'm leaving."

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 am

I think once again the away fans are being ripped off, the outcome means around 600 tickets returned,, do the maths Evans.
Cant see us losing this one,

TOWN 1 THE MIGHTY WOLVES 4 (costa 3, bod 1 )

ImageImageImageImage
..................................................................................Its PARTY TIME ................................................

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm going for a Town loss here.

We can't keep on drawing matches and I feel there's more chance we will lose this one than win. Just a feeling.

ITFC 1 : Wolves 2.

Ref Caption: With referees disappearing to China, the FA have introduced zombie referees to cover the shortfall. Darren Deadman is the referee at the Wolves game, along with his co-officials Carl Cadaver and Dale Deceased.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Midfielder Emyr Huws is a doubt ahead of Tuesday’s home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers with the hamstring problem which forced him off during the second half of Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Brentford.

“We’re just waiting to see with Emyr Huws, he’s had a bit of a tight hamstring from the weekend,” manager Mick McCarthy said.

“We’ll see what tomorrow brings with him. I’m hoping he’ll be OK but the last thing I would do is risk him and risk missing him for four or five games because he’s been very, very good.”
Close Ad

McCarthy had one other new injury to report, further frustration for Luke Hyam, who has only just returned from a long spell on the sidelines with a knee injury, but fortunately nothing too serious.

“Luke Hyam has rocked his ankle,” the Town boss added. “I know he’s not been in the squad or on the bench, but I think we’re looking pretty good other than that.

“It’s nothing to do with his other injury. He made a great block on the line, it hit him right on the toe and it opened his ankle up. it’s kind of sod’s law for him at the minute, but he’ll be fine.”

Jonny Williams started for the U23s in this afternoon’s game against Bristol City at Playford Road having recovered from his shoulder injury but McCarthy says the on-loan Crystal Palace man is a little way off first-team involvement.

“He’s been out for a long time, this is his first game,” he said. “Let’s see whether he gets through 90 minutes, he might not even do that.”

Teddy Bishop, who was nursing a tight groin towards the end of last week, has been unwell over the weekend so won’t be involved against Wolves.

“He’s been poorly, he’s just back in today, he’s had a bit of sickness so he won’t be in the squad. It’s his first day in,” McCarthy added.

Central defender Steven Taylor is expected to be back from his hamstring injury in time for the trip to Cardiff a week on Saturday, while on-loan Reading striker Dominic Samuel (broken toe) was expected to be back on the the training ground doing some work at some point this week.
I've actually got to the point where I wish Hyam & Bishop would just f*ck off !!! What a couple of waste of space they really are. I had high hopes for Bishop but it ain't gonna happen, while Hyam for me never has been any good apart from at maiming people.

Shamr about Huws though but better to miss one game as a precaution as opposed to what is left of the season.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Mike, you wont need to many good players to beat this side, probably your good self and Hallam could get a draw.

someone said on here they would prefer Lambert to Mick, would swap them anytime myself.

have sent PM..

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Despite their surprisingly poor recent form, relative to level of squad investment, am pretty sure Wolves will have had us watched on Saturday, and believe that if they can turn in a similar 'in your face' performance as did Brentford, then they're in with a chance. In contrast, MM has to be aware of that, and ensure that much of what was wrong with our limp performance isn't repeated - whoever starts, and whatever the set up. We need to continue to be hard to beat, whilst being more creative and clinical in the final third - easy to say, I know! Mostly, though, those players who put in milky shifts on Saturday, need to be at full revs.

It's a tough one to call; but will go for a hard fought 1-0 win for Town. COYB!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Sad to see such a storied team in the position they are in, that includes Blackburn Rovers as well. Ipswich Town 2 Wolves 0

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:17 am

"What??? ................ no Caption Contest for this fixture???"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 am

sorry Mate, is that how many goals Costa will score tomorrow or how many he will end up with for the season since you purchased him? :wink:

goldandblack wrote:I think once again the away fans are being ripped off, the outcome means around 600 tickets returned,, do the maths Evans.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:44 am

Have a bad feeling about this game.

Town 0 Wolves 2

Ref: See Mick is not the only Deadman walking.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 am

I'm with GnB on this......., predicting Mike runs on and bullet heads a Kay Nood Zen long throw into the top corner........ of the stand.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am

goldandblack wrote:I think once again the away fans are being ripped off, the outcome means around 600 tickets returned,, do the maths Evans.

ImageImageImageImage
..................................................................................Its PARTY TIME ................................................
Didn't have you down for a natural pessimist, G&B! :wink:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 am

It's that difficult time of the season where one team has a lot more to play for than the other. I fear a Wolves victory. 2 - 0.

I guess MM will stick with the same team or, if Huws in unavailable, put in Diagouraga. We can win if we get at them and close them down but I feel it's more likely to be the other way round.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 am

I can't figure out why people are worried about this. Things at Ipswich must be much MUCH worse than I think. Have any of you watched Wolves highlights recently? They're sh*te. Why are they going to come to PR and win? Why at Ipswich?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:39 am

Town win tonite for me, I am with you Marko, I can't see what Wolves are suddenly going to discover that they have failed to find in recent weeks, I guess you are only as good as your last game so we are sh*te again, never mind the performances against Reading, Leeds, Villa, Brighton & Norwich.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Caption.

Ref;- message from your chairman. All the staff employed by the Wolves go over there to the right please.
Not so fast Mr Lambert.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

2-1 to town with an Ipswich red card !

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm

Looking forward to this evening's encounter - not too long to go, now.

Chance to get Saturday's performance out the system, regain our momentum, and add to Wolves' misery. Confidence and belief levels need to be at max, with a fast, attacking, mentality from KO. Must not allow ourselves to be out fought or intimidated. Win individual battles, impose our game and fuc*ing win! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 pm

goldandblack wrote:Caption.

Ref;- message from your chairman. All the staff employed by the Wolves go over there to the right please.
Not so fast Mr Lambert.

Doing the Lambert walk?!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 pm

goldandblack wrote:Mike, you wont need to many good players to beat this side, probably your good self and Hallam could get a draw.

someone said on here they would prefer Lambert to Mick, would swap them anytime myself.

have sent PM..

However poor your boys are Woolfie we'll still make hard work of it. Most likely outcome 1-1 draw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Forest really got a big lift from beating Brighton at the weekend eh? Unbelievable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

No, it's actually believable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm

COME ON, IPSWICH TOWN, FECKIN SCORE! Jaysus.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Sounds like it's all Wolves last few minutes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Ah well....... regardless if the team played well or not, pretty pi$$ed off with that result. Really thought it'd be a good win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Must've been really Shyte...... everyone is stunned into silence! :lol:

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 pm

marko69 wrote:Must've been really Shyte...... everyone is stunned into silence! :lol:
Yep it really was shyte!! Actually that's putting it mildly. But don't forget we were playing a good side tonight (according to Mick)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 am

Will try to keep it short than run the risk of speaking out with something that may cause later regret.

Caught game statistics and with it McCarthy's post-game reaction - and seriously - what can be added that we haven't already witnessed on numerous occasion this season. The aforementioned name seemed almost pleased to an extent that "at least we didn't lose and kept the opposition from scoring"

We created less chances and had less possession, all said were fortunate to even take a point from it if game reports are accurate. All this against a rival team who had seen defeat in six of their last league games if correct, and bottom line we've missed out again on a potential three points and have the invariable problem of making a goddamn mess of it against all manner of opposition that occupy the relegation places or in the immediate vicinity.

Some ambiguity over whether McCarthy will vacate in the summer. Let's simplify things, clear the desk and resign your position. Not going to tolerate another nine months of this mundane and tentative sh*t of a team "manager". People want to offer defense that's their business, but it's not just today : the team has proved too ineffective too often in for now considerable time.

Oh yeah we're six or seven games without defeat now (the defense enthusiasts will be falling over themselves), but of limited use when just about every one is a drawn game. Fair enough there have been some signs of encouragement in that time and while "papering over cracks" is an overused expression on Those Were The Days for instance, essentially you can't dispute. Don't know how many occasions this season we've faced off against an opposition team that appear worse than ourselves and still failed to take maximum points / played poor / struggled to make an impact (delete as appropriate)

Best case scenario : play out the remainder of what's left in the season (which in effect isn't much) and sincerely wish the manager decides to vacate during the close season : and not bring another campaign of banal ineffective play and results our way for another duration. If anyone wishes to blow sunshine out Mick McCarthy's as* and provide a different view, as before its their business, but having been involved in every game this season in some capacity, it doesn't go amiss that we're a strictly average side at best and today appeared just another illustration of the evident deficiencies within the club.

As before other instances that could be elaborated on, but in truth, (it's) not worth the trouble.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 am

You are right McCarthy! Wolves were no mugs WE are for bothering to turn up to that utter dross! :
I dont usually have a go at certain players but can anyone tell me what on earth Moore is supposed to bring to the team?