Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers preview & game thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A chance to turn a point into all 3?

Ipswich Town win
50%
Draw
8%
Wolverhampton Wanderers win
42%

Total votes: 12

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers preview & game thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 am

Jesus Christ that was awful, woeful, call it what you will but I was bored shitless with the dross on offer last night, we've seen some poor games at home this season but we plunged new depths last night for sure and all this against a Wolves side who have been in freefall, who have lost the last Six matches and who left all their best players on the bench !!!

I cannot recall a meaningful passage of play by Town in the first half until maybe the final 2/3 minutes of the 45 such was the lethargy and lack of urgency in our ranks. Wolves are no great shakes by any means but they were having the lions share of possession but like us looked limp in attack. Midway through the half we definitely got away with one as Knudsen, who was back to his worst at Left Wing back stumbled just inside the box and to me handled the ball, had to be a penalty but the latest crap ref in a long line of them gave it just outside, he may nave started the fall just outside but the handball was for me clearly inside the box. Finally we did at least start to get forward once or twice, first Diagouraga had a shot from distance which cleared the post beofre Lawrence too had a shot which was blocked. Wolves continued to have most of the ball and the game was being played like we were the away side, trying to catch them on the break. With HT nearly on us Didsy had a decent chance to put us ahead but his effort was straight to the keeper. Chances had been few and far between but the game in general was just lacking any kind of excitement at all, boring doesn't come close.

Town started the second half by having what was definitely our best spell of the game, a session of deliveries from freekicks and corners had Ikeme clawing several away from under his crossbar, a Murphy type player would surely have had a field day but we have nothing like that in our team these days. Tom Lawrence went on one of his runs at the Wolves defence and appeared to be bundled over inside the box but the ref waived away the appeals. That 10-15 minute spell signalled the end of our siege on the Wolves goal and from there it really was Wolves who looked the most likely team to make the breakthrough but Bart was not being overly worked, still we played on the break with Didsy having a weak shot saved before almost teeing up ward with his cross but it lacked direction.

The final Five minutes saw Town hanging on, at the time I didn't even see the ball strike the post from Bart's save and not long after that they also hit the bar with ball being cleared to safety. I thought it was the worst we have played at home all season, especially with expectation now a bit higher after recent improvements, If people thought Brentford on saturday was poor they really need to have seen this as at times we couldn't string Two passes together. The decision to bring Emmanuel in for Spence was applauded by many but Josh had a very poor game as did Knudsen who was back to the quivering mass of crap we know him to be when played as a Leftback or wingback. I can understand wanting to give Tommy Smith some game time but where the hell was Kenlock ? Keep him in there for god sake, let's not go back to playing favourites Mick FFS. While Toumani Diagouraga did ok there was absolutely no doubt we missed Emyr Huws big time, on Two or Three occasions we broke forward only to see nobody busting a gut to get on the end of the cross like Huws did at Villa when he scored the winner, for me Ward just lacks that bit of desire at times while Skuse and Diagouraga are both more defensive and are never going to make those runs. Up front we lack a real striker on the pitch these days, Didsy has always been more of an attacking Midfielder while Lawrence is exactly that also, we can only go so long with Lawrence banging in 30 yard screamers but when they dry up as they have lately we have no real goal threat as such. I do not understand Moore who is out of his depth big time being brought on in preference to Sears & Pitman when you need to find that goal which wins the game, no offence to the kid but really, what are they seeing in him ? A couple of times he looked ok, especially when making his debut at Preston but gradually it is becoming clear he is another Nouble or Bajner.

Bart (6) Emmanuel (5) Chambers (6) Berra (6) Smith (6) Knudsen (5) Diagouraga (6) Skuse (6) Ward (5) Didsy (6) Lawrence (6) SUBS :- Kenlock (6) Moore (4)

I suppose the only positive is that we did not lose again and that is now one defeat in the last Nine but where have the performances gone to ? against Brighton, Villa, Leeds and Reading it was so so much better but that is now Two insipid home displays in Four days, again we look to be playing not to lose instead of trying to win, the line up has gone all defensive looking again which is so disappointing. i expect this is the way the remaining Ten games will be, especially at home where at times they are painful to watch, play like that at Barnsley on saturday and we get beat, simple as that. Let's hope it is just another blip and we kick on again but it needs to be better than that or the knives will once again be being sharpened and MM will be on the end of them, the boos at the full time whistle returned big time, one step forward and two steps back Mick.

The real highlight of the evening for me was meeting up with John (G&B) and his lovely daughter Donna, always a pleasure to share a drink with such lovely people.
Last edited by Bluemike on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:53 am

Many thanks for the report, Mike.

I listened on the radio and your report confirms that it was a bad as it sounded.

I have tried to maintain some sort of neutrality over the MM situation, but I found his post match comments almost embarrassing to listen to. I don't pretend to know the answer, but something somewhere has to change before next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 am

barmy billy wrote:Many thanks for the report, Mike.

I listened on the radio and your report confirms that it was a bad as it sounded.

I have tried to maintain some sort of neutrality over the MM situation, but I found his post match comments almost embarrassing to listen to. I don't pretend to know the answer, but something somewhere has to change before next season.
Cheers Billy and great to see you posting again.

Actually I am now of the opinion Mick will be leaving in the Summer

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:11 am

Excellent report, not so excellent content within the report. What is going on at ITFC?

If I was into "conspiracy" theories, I'd say that Mick is intentionally looking for a pay off! Let's not go down that road though. Can only put it down to it being March, players "allegedly" mentally & physically TIRED and their minds are on that 4 week Carribean cruise.

Last two games; as fans, at least it's only two home draws that's to be figured out.

Forest 3 B&HA 0 ----> Forest 2 Brentford 3; no Forest fan can figure that sh*t out.

Did Forest f*ck up your accumulator last night, Charnwood?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks for the report, Mike. Appreciated as it must be an effort to write these reports after such games.

Not going to sharpen knives, but its time for MM to leave this summer. He can work on a budget and he's a steady known quantity when "be careful what you wish for" concerns are aired, but we need something new and fresh.

MArcus Evans has got 10 years + ownership under his belt and a few months to look at who will be manager next season - so its up to him ( if he gives a sh*t). The season ticket renewals could well be the deciding factor in the next few weeks.

karlywoo

Post by karlywoo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 am

I have not missed listening to a game for more years than i can remember! i await each and every one with excitement as to how my team/Club are going to perform, stuck up here in North Norfolk amongst the other lot i was once proud to wear the badge, sadly they are now somewhere in the wardrobe!
But last night for some reason or another i actually forgot that we were playing!! shock horror this morning to see on TWTD that we actually played Wolves and i had missed it, how on earth did my brain not connect that it was match night?
I guess it was self protection, preventing inflicting yet more pain upon me! reading the reports and our wonderful manager bigging up a visiting team that has an awful history of late?
I think time has come to find something else to do on matchdays now, but what? i will need to find something thats going to be slightly more exciting than listening to Town, any suggestions?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm

The polite word I would use for last night's performance is lack.
Lack of movement, Lack of pace, Lack of width and lack of belief in that we can take the game to a team who prior to last night's game had lost 6 in a row.
Another thing is if Mick thinks at this moment in time Moore is a better option to bring off the bench than Sears or Pitman, which I can't see myself but then I'm not the manager, then at least give him time to get involved in the game, not just f****** 7 minutes. The other thing I can't understand is why when the opposition have a corner do we bring everybody back into the penalty area which then means even if we clear our lines there is nobody up field to attempt to take the pressure off us.
For those going to Barnsley on Saturday I take my hat off to you and hopefully you will see us put in a better performance than last night. Surely it can't get much worse can it?

Rant over.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 pm

The draw fest comes to a halt on Saturday with a Baaaarnsley win.

Karlywoo, a suggestion. Columbo repeats. It's great watching how the guy is going to solve the problem. Can only be better than watching or listening to a guy adding to the problem(s).

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 pm

karlywoo wrote: But last night for some reason or another i actually forgot that we were playing!!
You weren't alone. There were some men in a blue football kit on the pitch last night who also forgot we were playing.

karlywoo

Post by karlywoo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Andym wrote:
karlywoo wrote: But last night for some reason or another i actually forgot that we were playing!!
You weren't alone. There were some men in a blue football kit on the pitch last night who also forgot we were playing.
This is true, but maybe an hour or so later they still climb into the top of the range Audi/Range Rover Vogues etc and drive home to their splendid homes with gorgeous wives waiting, who will say "how did it go tonite love?" and they will reply" I can,t remember" it was a long time ago! and crack open an expensive bottle of wine and say thanks Ipswich fans and chuckle,
They p*ss me off!! i,m beginning to hate my own Clubs players for lack of interest and effort! JUST HOW SAD IS THAT?
They are a disgrace to the club, the entire institution of football, the only guy i would ever buy a pint for is Bart! as he is the only player wearing the badge that is worth his pay cheque, the rest can just feck off come summer, that is how strong i feel!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

:roll: Sorry Mick as Blue Mike has stated its defo time for you to leave at the end of this season, we are all tired of the inconsistent good and crap performances churned out week in week out, we definitely need a change in management, please Marcus bring someone in who will get the team to play good attacking football, like Mark Warburton?? why does it keep going tits up after a few encouraging games, we know in Mick eyes a draw is a result, but FFS make it enjoyable with some effort.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Oh Warburtons a fanny
He wears a fannies hat
He wins against Dumbarton
And other Shyte like that
But when he played the Hibees
Suddenly it dawned
To win the Scottish Cup
He'll need a f**king wand.

OH........ WARBURTONS A FANNY.......

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm

karlywoo wrote:
Andym wrote:
This is true, but maybe an hour or so later they still climb into the top of the range Audi/Range Rover Vogues etc and drive home to their splendid homes with gorgeous wives waiting, who will say "how did it go tonite love?" and they will reply" I can,t remember" it was a long time ago! and crack open an expensive bottle of wine and say thanks Ipswich fans and chuckle,
They p*ss me off!! i,m beginning to hate my own Clubs players for lack of interest and effort! JUST HOW SAD IS THAT?
They are a disgrace to the club, the entire institution of football, the only guy i would ever buy a pint for is Bart! as he is the only player wearing the badge that is worth his pay cheque, the rest can just feck off come summer, that is how strong i feel!!
Bart would probably drop it though, great shot stopper, sh*t at kicking, catching and punching.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm

marko69 wrote:Oh Warburtons a fanny
He wears a fannies hat
He wins against Dumbarton
And other Shyte like that
But when he played the Hibees
Suddenly it dawned
To win the Scottish Cup
He'll need a f**king wand.

OH........ WARBURTONS A FANNY.......
PMSL, very good Marko.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I think Evans could give the Club and Fans a real lift if he were to dispense with Mick, NOW, and bring in someone like Burley or Butcher as interim manager fir the last 10 games. Or appoint the new manage , ( Warburton would be my personal choice), to give him a chance to view current players. It would increase impetus amongst the players if nothing else so we can secure the two wins I think we need to be safe. I also think it might " save " season ticket sales. There is no way on this Earth there was the reported 15k gate at PR last night. I'd say 10-11k was much nearer the mark.

Over to You Evans..... but it's always been down to the owner.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 pm

For a wee jaunt into League One, go for Butcher.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm

marko69 wrote:For a wee jaunt into League One, go for Butcher.
Well it could have been TC as interim manager ... then we'd definately be in League 1 with Mick MCCarthy Lite. Can never understand why Wolves appointed TC to oversee their EPL relegation when he and Mick are joined at the hip.

I can't see how Ex players like Burley and Butcher can do anything. Yesterday's men.

Not sure if someone like Warburton would be any better. I think his gold dust has dried up.

Happy enough to see out the season, get the 1-2 wins necessary and hopefully MM is decent enough a bloke to try out some players with a view to next season .... even if he won't be there.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:For a wee jaunt into League One, go for Butcher.
Well it could have been TC as interim manager ... then we'd definately be in League 1 with Mick MCCarthy Lite. Can never understand why Wolves appointed TC to oversee their EPL relegation when he and Mick are joined at the hip.

I can't see how Ex players like Burley and Butcher can do anything. Yesterday's men.

Not sure if someone like Warburton would be any better. I think his gold dust has dried up.

Happy enough to see out the season, get the 1-2 wins necessary and hopefully MM is decent enough a bloke to try out some players with a view to next season .... even if he won't be there.
Tang
PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT!!!
Evans might think that is a good idea. Last night's nightmare was bad enough.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Is the Champions League going to be as batshit bonkers crazy as the Championship tonight? PSG 4-0 up over Barca in the 1st leg. Anyone fancy 5-0 Barca tonight?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Burley spends too much time now with his grandchildren he said he could not become a manager again it would take up all his time again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 pm

It would be a monumental c*ck up to go for any previous player to be our next manager, I would much rather keep MM, 1000%.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 pm

bluemike wrote:
The real highlight of the evening for me was meeting up with John (G&B) and his lovely daughter Donna, always a pleasure to share a drink with such lovely people.

Thank you Mike and it was great to meet up with you and Liz again, always good to chat with proper football supporters.

Your report is spot on and summed up a dire night for both clubs and fans, was sad to see two famous clubs reach these depths after years of classic matches in our past histories,

Views from Wolf's http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wol ... een-three/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 pm

marko69 wrote:Is the Champions League going to be as batshit bonkers crazy as the Championship tonight? PSG 4-0 up over Barca in the 1st leg. Anyone fancy 5-0 Barca tonight?
Well you fancied the Barca win, Marko! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 am

Good call Marko but it's the biggest fix in years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 am

I can see why a lot of people will be saying that. I might agree with it if Neymars freekick wasn't so unbelievably class. But I do believe Suarez is a cheat and it was never a penalty in a million years. How the official on the goal line didn't see that is beyond me completely. From that alone, the "fix" idea could be possible, but they did still need to score again. We will never know, but I'm not buying the fix.

I only watched it because I was intrigued to see if the best team on the planet could overturn a four goal deficit, (don't ever watch Champions League) ....., what struck me is the amount of cheating going on. Messi aside, (the best and most honest player in the world); Neymar & Suarez are just constantly cheating. They spend more time looking at the ref than at the ball. The way they fall without contact is world class. It's a f**king joke. The game needs to change but how that could be stamped out is anyone's guess. The only idea for me is "the man in the booth" but agree the flow of the game would suffer. For me, they make it unwatchable...... and that's from someone who watches Hibs.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:53 am

marko69 wrote:The way they fall without contact is world class. It's a f**king joke. The game needs to change but how that could be stamped out is anyone's guess. The only idea for me is "the man in the booth" but agree the flow of the game would suffer.
Not sure it would have to affect the flow greatly.
Scenario 1: Ref gives a penalty.... but could be overturned during the 2 minutes of arguing that always follows. ref changes mind, awards free kick to opposition, books diver.
Scenario 2: Ref unsure so doesn't give penalty. 4th official looks while play continues. sees it's a dive, communicates to ref who books diver next time ball goes out of play.

I think the powers that be are afraid of undermining the referee. But it works in rugby and in cricket. And in fact refs might be more willing to give a penalty if they were confident that if they got it wrong it could be overturned.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 am

marko69 wrote:I can see why a lot of people will be saying that. I might agree with it if Neymars freekick wasn't so unbelievably class. But I do believe Suarez is a cheat and it was never a penalty in a million years. How the official on the goal line didn't see that is beyond me completely. From that alone, the "fix" idea could be possible, but they did still need to score again. We will never know, but I'm not buying the fix.

I only watched it because I was intrigued to see if the best team on the planet could overturn a four goal deficit, (don't ever watch Champions League) ....., what struck me is the amount of cheating going on. Messi aside, (the best and most honest player in the world); Neymar & Suarez are just constantly cheating. They spend more time looking at the ref than at the ball. The way they fall without contact is world class. It's a f**king joke. The game needs to change but how that could be stamped out is anyone's guess. The only idea for me is "the man in the booth" but agree the flow of the game would suffer. For me, they make it unwatchable...... and that's from someone who watches Hibs.
Just hate the cheating in the game that seems to be getting worse every year.
The other thing that really gets me is players trying to get fellow professionals booked or sent off by waving an imaginary card at the ref. I know the standard of refereeing is not great sometimes but a lot of players certainly don't make their job any easier.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
marko69 wrote:I can see why a lot of people will be saying that. I might agree with it if Neymars freekick wasn't so unbelievably class. But I do believe Suarez is a cheat and it was never a penalty in a million years. How the official on the goal line didn't see that is beyond me completely. From that alone, the "fix" idea could be possible, but they did still need to score again. We will never know, but I'm not buying the fix.

Just hate the cheating in the game that seems to be getting worse every year.
The other thing that really gets me is players trying to get fellow professionals booked or sent off by waving an imaginary card at the ref. I know the standard of refereeing is not great sometimes but a lot of players certainly don't make their job any easier.

Agree with that.. and of course let us not forget 'PIE' gate.. Poor old Sutton..

lol

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:23 pm

bluemike wrote:

Quite right, I think he will go for sure.
You know that he will never ever be my choice for a manager, but quite honestly what is he supposed to do with the shower of sh*te he has at his disposal?
I think he's already of the opinion that nothing will change next season in terms of funding, and I think he's frustrated by that and knows he could do better by going somewhere where there is a bit more to spend on players.
I think he's too professional to quit during the season, but he will be off in the summer for sure.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm

rossi wrote:
bluemike wrote:

Quite right, I think he will go for sure.
You know that he will never ever be my choice for a manager, but quite honestly what is he supposed to do with the shower of sh*te he has at his disposal?
I think he's already of the opinion that nothing will change next season in terms of funding, and I think he's frustrated by that and knows he could do better by going somewhere where there is a bit more to spend on players.
I think he's too professional to quit during the season, but he will be off in the summer for sure.

I hope you are both right but I have a feeling he will still be here. He says he will consider things, but I think unless we lose a shed load of season ticket holders then I think he will remain in charge. If he was planning on leaving why would he be asking Emyr Huws if he wants to stay? Or dealing with contracts coming to an end (ie.Chambers, Gerken, Spence etc.). I think during the week he convinces himself he wants to stay, then when we are crap week after week on a weekend he gets wound up. His after match interview on Tuesday sounded as though he didn't give a f*ck but then today hes talking like hes planning for next season again.

Its so confusing, the problem is there are certainly some who are wanting to know his plans before they commit to their season ticket, I wont be very happy if he is still in charge but I will have my ticket anyway, I know a fair few who wont though. And you only have to look at the actual attendance on Tuesday to realize many aren't turning up, surely they are likely to cancel for next season, especially if the manager is still the same. I think we are past the point of being able to turn this round, but I think the club are hanging on to some hope.

I fear we may end up having these same problems again next year and having to put up with Mick for another whole season, I don't have an issue with him as a person, but enough is enough now