Insight to Luke Chambers influence

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Insight to Luke Chambers influence

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:54 am

Chambers is coming to the end of his contract and the club have yet to tell him whether they will be taking up their option of a 12-month extension. The 31-year-old defender saw a move back to his former club of Nottingham Forest blocked on January transfer deadline day.

Skuse, who was best man at Chambers’ wedding in the summer of 2015, said: “It was public, everyone knew the situation, Chambo was close to going to Nottingham Forest and his contract situation is a little bit up in the air.

“It wouldn’t be right for me to speak on Luke’s behalf about his contract situation to you. You’d have to speak to him about that, but we are very close and do a lot of talking.

“As much as the lads love to give him a bit of stick about... Well just being Chambo! None of them want to see him leave. He’s an unbelievable captain, the best I’ve played under and I’m sure a lot of the lads would say the same. For him to leave would be a massive blow for the club in general.”

He continued: “Let me give you an insight into Chambo. He’s got three young kids and, as anyone who has kids knows, that is tough. There are times when you’ve been up all night, given them breakfast, changed pooey nappies and you get to work and think ‘Jesus’.

“That’s not the case with Chambo. He comes in every morning like he’s drunk 10 cans of Red Bull! He’s Mr Hyper, he never has a down day, he’s Mr Positivity, the loudest around the changing room.

“It’s the smaller details. Before the game he hands out tickets, he makes sure everyone is looked after before he himself is looked after, he arranges meals for the lads.

“He’s the most vocal before the game, his speeches in the huddle are always very, very good. He’s just an all-round character.

“Another good trait is that he’s approachable to anyone. There were times when I was a young lad and you’d feel a tad bit scared of approaching a captain to get things off your chest. I think any of the young lads would feel comfortable approaching Chambo about anything.”

Interesting to hear more about this, I know there has been quite a bit about Chambers recently, I think given our current situation and our likely huge turnover in the summer we need some kind of stability on and off the pitch too, and in my opinion Chambers should be that stability. We can afford to lose most of our squad and replace them without too many issues, but I think the voice Chambers has is often underestimated among a lot of supporters. Did he have his best game on Sat? No but he has been much improved recently playing at the heart of defence. He is rarely injured and I would never ever accuse him of lacking passion or not caring. I think he is the one who genuinely cares about the fans too, a selfless character who wants to give us fans something to get behind.

Just my view but if we let him go I feel its a big mistake, much to do with his character. I think he will stay, but I still cant work out why the hell nothing has been announced yet. Its not that hard just to exercise an option. Whether MM will be here or not next season he has value, at the very least or another year, just take it up. Im a little disappointed in the club for dragging this along like they have

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Insight to Luke Chambers influence

Post by Frosty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 am

have to agree with you mate

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 am

Good piece about Chambers and got a lot of time for the guy......, I do like his interviews.

Although, must say, regardless of the three kids; if I was on upwards of 5K a week, I'd be jumping around like I was on ten red bulls also.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 am

marko69 wrote:Good piece about Chambers and got a lot of time for the guy......, I do like his interviews.

Although, must say, regardless of the three kids; if I was on upwards of 5K a week, I'd be jumping around like I was on ten red bulls also.
Guess its easy to say that but its all relative. If someone was on 15k a year and got a payrise to 30k a year you would get the same kind of high. But its not as if hes just had a huge payrise, hes probably on about 10k a week and has been throughout the last 2-3 years, through the good and the bad. As things have got worse his pay hasn't got more, so I think when it comes to money its difficult to use it as a motivator. 10k a week in football is probably the equivalent of 20k a year in the "real world"

I have one child who is still only 1, I can absolutely sympathise with what Cole Skuse says, although having 3 of them? sod that!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

Couldn't agree with you more Charlton, nothing we/I didn't already know. Chambers is a top top bloke and by far the best captain we have had in many many years. played out of position for nearly 3 seasons and never once moaned, he just gets on with it and gives his all, of course he would rather be at CB and we can see whay because in recent weeks he has been so much better, as you say Saturday wasn't great for him but everyone is going to have off days.

I would be gutted if he left us in the Summer, people have short memories and I believe it was he who brought the fans and the players so very close a couple of seasons back, he made that bond, people may laugh at his fist pumps but at the time he started them the fans, especially away from home absolutely love it, I am glad it has been made public how he arranges social things outside of football for the players to mix together, we will lose a vital part of the set up should he be allowed to go.

He epitomises everything I want to see in a footballer, getting injured at Brighton when scoring our goal and then playing on with 2 cracked/broken ribs, he didn't even miss a game, i would bet anyone if he had some of the injuries that Didsy & Bishop to name but two have had in the past he would still have played !!!

The best bit was when that cretin from Norfolk (Len) tried to tell us Chambers has no passion for the club !!! If you are going to troll at least make it funny and believable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

I'll give Chambo £450, after tax and he can install a ten radiator heating system for me next week. Wonder if he'll turn up like he's on ten red bulls!

People need to watch more observational comedy. Like Bill Burr talking about footballers....., whinging, "It can be the toughest job in the world!" ....., "yeah? I thought maybe roofing in July would be "up there" but, yeah, football. Go fk yourself!"

That's Bill Burr talking, Charlton........ I'm not telling you to go fk yourself! :lol: Just clarifying that before anyone starts going off like they're on ten red bulls!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am

Make it £650 and I'll do it, it won't f**king work but I will install it !!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 pm

marko69 wrote:I'll give Chambo £450, after tax and he can install a ten radiator heating system for me next week. Wonder if he'll turn up like he's on ten red bulls!

People need to watch more observational comedy. Like Bill Burr talking about footballers....., whinging, "It can be the toughest job in the world!" ....., "yeah? I thought maybe roofing in July would be "up there" but, yeah, football. Go fk yourself!"

That's Bill Burr talking, Charlton........ I'm not telling you to go fk yourself! :lol: Just clarifying that before anyone starts going off like they're on ten red bulls!
haha! Yes well to be fair at least its a job that's inside, poor old footballers have to train at least a couple of hours outside in the cold.... and in Scotland that's really cold!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:25 pm

bluemike wrote:Make it £650 and I'll do it, it won't f**king work but I will install it !!
Hmmm! You drive a hard bargain. What about £685 with the bathroom towel warmer working ........ at least!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 pm

And errr, apologies in advance again for skew whiffin a thread. Clung on to Chambo being on ten red bulls and went with it.

Please do return to Chambo talk......, he is definitely worth the chat. Seems a top bloke and obviously a very good captain, having the respect of his teammates.

Get his contract sorted, ITFC.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
bluemike wrote:Make it £650 and I'll do it, it won't f**king work but I will install it !!
Hmmm! You drive a hard bargain. What about £685 with the bathroom towel warmer working ........ at least!
Deal, as long as its not in Dundee, I would sooner be in Aleppo installing it !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Dear God, mate......., not sure I'd be able to afford the employers liability insurance premiums sending you there. I've always maintained that the Dundee by-pass is the 8th wonder of the world........, mainly because, everyone "wonders" why it took so long to come up with the idea.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Too much hot air chat! :D

Skuse speaks well and with some feeling on the Chambo issue - possibly reflecting a degree of dressing room unrest at what's seen as management's disrespect and shoddy treatment of an individual who has given nothing less than full commitment to the Club, and conducted himself in a mature and totally professional manner - often in the face of some totally unjustified toxic abuse. Some supporters, eh!

Even given the need for cold light of day 'business decisions' - think Ranieri - I fail to see how not renewing Chambo's contract, thereby providing him with the security he and his family deserve, cannot be in all parties' best interests. In a squad short of leaders and strong personalities, his presence and influence is immense and should provide a foundation upon which to develop the team further. The fact that MM recognised that his loss to NF in Jan would be a mortal blow, should have been sufficient justification for getting a new contract sorted asap. Sometimes I wonder whether those pulling the levers of power can summon one brain cell between them!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:53 pm

:roll: If Chambo drinks 10 cans of Red bull, he should have been a winger ?????

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:21 pm

ashfordblue wrote::roll: If Chambo drinks 10 cans of Red bull, he should have been a winger ?????
One can of red bull and I'm lady gaga. Literally. Dress, make up, the works.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
ashfordblue wrote::roll: If Chambo drinks 10 cans of Red bull, he should have been a winger ?????
One can of red bull and I'm lady gaga. Literally. Dress, make up, the works.
Wow! Never tried Red Bull - just off to get some in to see what occurs.... 8)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Not before KO, Herforder! You'll be front page news in the "Star!"