Barnsley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tricky little fixture?

Barnsley Win
54%
Ipswich Win
8%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 13

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Barnsley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

marko69 wrote:A very commendable preview effort from you guys after the demoralising crap on offer Tuesday night. Read all available reports and all painted the same picture......, it was poor. Well done offering up this preview to the (no doubt) few who give a sh*t anymore.

In two minds on this game. One mind is thinking that I really believe Ipswich could win this. That Mick McCarthy and Barnsley connection; historically managers go back to their places of their roots and kick a$$, and this is the "stupid league" ----> I'm genuinely thinking Ipswich win.
The second mind is thinking, "Oh sh*t, I've got Charnwood in the quarters of the TB Cup -----> "do you REALLY think Ipswich will win?!"

DRAW. 1-1

Ref:
Player: REF, YOU ABSOLUTE FKN BELLEND, THAT WAS A CLEAR PEN!!
Ref: Don't make me angry, son. You won't like me when I'm angry.
Arse booted! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
marko69 wrote:A very commendable preview effort from you guys after the demoralising crap on offer Tuesday night. Read all available reports and all painted the same picture......, it was poor. Well done offering up this preview to the (no doubt) few who give a sh*t anymore.

In two minds on this game. One mind is thinking that I really believe Ipswich could win this. That Mick McCarthy and Barnsley connection; historically managers go back to their places of their roots and kick a$$, and this is the "stupid league" ----> I'm genuinely thinking Ipswich win.
The second mind is thinking, "Oh sh*t, I've got Charnwood in the quarters of the TB Cup -----> "do you REALLY think Ipswich will win?!"

DRAW. 1-1

Ref:

Sorry Marko, but surely it's my turn to win after you kicked me out in the 1st Round last season. It wouldn't be right to get booted out by the same player two seasons in succession.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

DRAW. 1-1

Ref:

Sorry Marko, but surely it's my turn to win after you kicked me out in the 1st Round last season. It wouldn't be right to get booted out by the same player two seasons in succession.
Can concentrate on finishing 13th in the league now.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Caption Comp: Micks on the left Marcus on right Both TITS hanging around doing NOTHING......NO support anymore.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:21 pm

So we stretch our unbeaten run to Eight games or equally our winless run to Six games, in truth it was a case of snatching an unlikely draw from the jaws of defeat as Town again huffed and puffed with little attacking threat, apart from Two or Three efforts that is and of course the final move of the match that finally saw us undo a stubborn Barnsley defence.

It was a very even start to the game with both sides having half chances, Berra with a weak header before Bart gathered a routine shot from a Barnsley player. The game was only around Ten minutes old when Barnsley squandered a glorious chance to go ahead, a cross from the right found it's way to Armstrong at the back post who contrived to put his header over the bar from a few yards out when he looked odds on to score, it was a real let off for Town. Not long after that Town too missed a great chance to open the scoring, Didsy doing well to find space before letting fly with a shot that the keeper saved well but from the rebound Skuse looked a cert to score but the keeper again somehow made the save and the chance was gone. From here on in the remainder of the half was really a case of Barnsley creating One or Two good chances which they put high and wide without testing Bart while Town were looking to catch them on the break, Didsy again having a half chance that came to nothing. The half was pretty even to be fair, young Kenlock had caught my eye with a solid display at Left Wing back while Diagouraga had won a lot of ball in the middle and was always looking to play a forward pass, Berra too had had a decent enough 45 minutes but Town really lacked a real cutting edge.

The second half was a big disappointed for the most part, Barnsley came out on the front foot and were looking to take the game to us while we appeared happy to soak up what they were throwing at us with an over cautious approach once more. Bart was called upon to make a save from a long range shot but again it was quite comfortable for him. By now Diagouraga who was on a yellow had been replaced by Grant Ward who tried his luck from distance but it was well wide. From a rare passage of Town attacking play we somehow let them surge up the field and take the lead, with Two defenders chasing back and Bart coming out it was left to Town target Marley Watkins to keep his cool and finish nicely. Our reaction to the goal was very disappointing as we looked so laboured and resigned to our fate, everything we did lacked any urgency where as Barnsley were sensing victory and continued to look to go forward, Sears was on as we switched formation but little changed. Moving into the final few minutes Bart made a good save to keep it at 1-0 when they should really have put the game to bed, and despite us getting forward once or twice we still looked so bereft of ideas around their box. With time running out you just sensed it wasn't going to be our day but incredibly with virtually the last kick of the match we salvaged a precious point, a fantastic ball to the far post from sub Brett Pitman took out the whole Barnsley defence and charging in was that man again Tom Lawrence to tap home from no more than a couple of yards, cue wild celebrations right in front of the Town fans, it was so unexpected that it really did feel like a win given how ordinary we had been for much of the second half.

Bart (6) Spence (5) Chambers (6) Berra (7) Knudsen (5) Kenlock (6) Diagouraga (6) Skuse (5) Huws (6) McGoldrick (6) Lawrence (6) SUBS :- Ward (6) Sears (5) Pitman (6)

For the Third game running it wasn't great by any means, there wasn't much in the first half and we had as much of the play and chances as they did, however I was disappointed with our approach second half, even when we went behind we didn't seem to be busting a gut to get back into it, too many 50/50 ballls were being won by the team in Red and they seemed to break so much quicker than we did, we were slow and pedestrian compared to their direct and fast running, all too often we play ourselves into trouble by going sideways and up blind alleys which forces us to back track back to where we started from. I really am sick to death of Knudsen's long throws, every single one is won by our opponents and invariably we are suddenly forced to defend when we should be benefitting from them, add to that the kicking of Bart is doing my bloody head in, we lose possession every sodding time as they always go into touch.

We have to be happy with a point given how the game panned out but March is proving far less satisfying than our impressive February, we seem to have gone backwards again although it is to our credit that despite playing poorly we kept going and somehow found an unexpected goal, I fancied us to get beat today, as did many others, so from that point of view it could be a valuable point. we have another tough away game at Cardiff next week and already I would be more than happy to be travelling back with another point for our troubles.
Last edited by Bluemike on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Daylight robbery but this is how football works sometimes. As widely expected we started with 7 defensively minded players which probably will be our depressing mindset for the reminder of the season.

The majority of the team were camped in our own half or in the middle for the entire game. Both Lawrence and McGoldrick were too isolated upfront as they had no support when surging forward. I think Spence tried to 'honour' his wing-back role too by moving forward at times. Nothing else apart from it. The team was brimmed with pathetic defensive philosophy as is the case under McCarthy.

We had one notable opportunity as McGoldrick shot from 20 yards was blocked by their keeper and simple follow-up was too difficult for Skuse to convert.

Barnsley bar golden chance missed by Armstrong restricted themselves to a few shots from outside the box that went over the bar.

Average first half. Skuse booked following his own mistake as he was dispossessed by Hammill and had to salvage the situation by knocking down the Barnsley player. Town totally risk averse and happy to sit back.

We hadn't much going forward therefore Paul Heckingbottom will have roused his team in the dressing room as they came out with a different and braver approach.
Diagouraga perhaps lucky to escape a red card following his tackle was replaced by Ward. Don't really know why as he did his duties spot on in general. Yes wasteful passing at times but fine job as a defensive midfielder and certainly did better than wandering Skuse.

Cruel circumstances in which we conceded the goal as it was from our corner and their quick counter attack.

From that moment on until the final moments of the game Towns perfomance was nothing short of disgusting. Not only lack of clue how to create chances just utter lack of reaction and fighting spirit too. I was really, really upset with that.
No-one in the middle to provide strikers with the service. Total lack of capacity to create something. Everything being so slow and predictable.

I saw some TWTD member in a row below mine as his body expression was striking. Holding his head, horrible face expression. Spoke to him and he was really infuriated with they way the bunch of vvankers in blue shirts performed. But we both agreed this is the result of Evans policy, kind of players we recruit and McCarthys tactics. We've also agreed that the continuity of that will have taken us down to League One in 2-3 years. This is what I've been saying for a long while.

McCarthy? Stood like a bollard with hands behind the back. Not arsed at all to rouse this team, to shout at them, to motivate them. Depressing and really upsetting stuff.

'You aren't fit to wear the shirt' would have been the most appropriate song from Towns travelling support.

We had a couple of half chances but never really troubled Davies. Barnsley still had better opportunities and the match ought to have been put to bed 10 minutes from time as Bialkowski impressively saved Hammill's shot from inside the box.

All of sudden, out of nowhere one of the panic attempts ended with the goal as Lawrence had an easy tap-in from the close range following Pitman's delivery. Such upset was I during the second half that I hardly celebrated this goal.

A point that we never deserved but it might turn out to be a priceless by the end of the season despite claims from some that we are a 'midtable team'.

Very poor and uninspiring performance from Ipswich players and it's a reason to worry in a wider context. I as a fan cannot accept or tolerate that. I cannot accept lack of fighting spirit and desire to win. Why can't McCarthy instill a winning mentality into this team? He must be happy with his contract as are a few players who seem to have a very easy life and easy payday.

He is saying that he isn't walking away from his contract so we are going to be tormented by his 'philosophy' and watching players like Skuse for yet another 14 months at least. I want my team to attack the opposition as do our supporters. Are our 'demands' too big?

Instead of encouraging fans to come back to Portman Road McCarthy is doing opposite. Third game in the last 8 days and what kind of comments from him followed? Erm..... 'Brentford were better and deserved to win, Wolves were better in the 2nd half, Barnsley were better and we did steal the point'. Why the fook do have to put up with that you stubborn pighead? Why cannot we be a threat for an opposition?

I'd have loved to underline several positives from today but I'm struggling to find some. There was nothing new that we hadn't known before.

MOTM? Few players stood out. Bialkowski for his impressive save in the 2nd half, Lawrence for the first one as he faded in the 2nd one despite the goal. Maybe Kenlock too as without a doubt he is more useful as left-back/wing-back than Knudsen.

Negatives? Lack of fighting spirit. Skuse one good tackle in the first half, what else? I better stay quiet...... Chambers and his distribution really poor, Huws really quiet afternoon albeit visible ability to hold the ball, McGoldrick quiet too.

From the personal point the best thing for me happened after the game. Had an hour spare before my train back and stayed outside the ground with a few Town fans to wait for our players. For the first ever time I've had a chance to speak to Bart in our native language. And I was really stunned how nice he was to me. Asked me why I support Ipswich, we both tried to recall matches in which he played against us. We have found one and it was at the same ground during Keanes first full season with us and he was the Barnsley goalkeeper then, they beat us 2-1 after Macken's late winner, he also sat on the Southampton bench in matches against us. In a brief chat with him I underlined how upset I was with lack of reaction and fighting spirit after the Barnsley goal and he ADMITTED that it looked sh*te. Unfortunately he had to come back to the team bus as other players were entering it and I couldn't have had a longer chat with him.

Overall very disappointed and upset with the performance. Technically we shouldn't be displeased as we continue our unbeaten run but I cannot cope with continued 'settle for a draw' philosophy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Good report there, Mike and hoping those wild celebrations were as decent as those last minute ITFC @ Watford celebrations two seasons ago.

Your other team were a bit of a coupon burster today @ home no less....... I think they underestimated wee Deeko boy Riordan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 am

Equally good report there, MPB...... I feel for your keyboard though; the passion must create some thumping of keys! I do know it's serious business as ITFC sit only 8 points above the drop zone, but Mick standing like a bollard allowed one "lol".

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:17 am

Marko, not quite on the same level as watford but still a relief after todays efforts, and please don't talk to me about Forfar !!! They are f**king it up big time !!

Mach, great to see you today but I am so unsettled by how down you are, even before the game you don't seem yourself fella, keep your chin up, it will change one day LOL. AND !!! One thing I disagree 100% with you about, when our goal went in you celebrated like fuke, in fact you went Three rows forward LOL, I don't think you realise it haha.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for that Mike / Mach.

My overriding concern is the apparent apathy from the team now. This tells me that McCarthy IS leaving in the summer and the players know that. They are loyal to their manager and are affected by this decision. The problem is the gap between us and the bottom three is narrowing and it is not out of the question that we can soon be dragged into that dog fight. The players are showing signs of indifference to the season's outcome, which is a big worry to me, and more of a worry than the ongoing poor style of play.

Frankly, the best thing that could happen now is for Evans to pay off McCarthy NOW which sees him depart. If I was Evans, I'd them get in Burley as interim manager for the last 9 games. To do nothing, IMO is not an option now because the Club are NOT safe from relegation.

FFS Evans, act now man!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:46 am

Fantastic dual reports from Mike and Mach - just glad you didn't write it in Polish!

Feels like execution by a thousand small, but potentially terminal, cuts. If we get nowt from Cardiff next week, then an already worrying situation becomes that bit more serious. The fact is MM has players of sufficient quality available to play decent football, pose an attacking threat and, on the day, beat most Championship teams. He should, in my view, abandon 3 at the back, it isn't working for a manager who, by instinct, is defensively minded and spends far too much time telling us how good opposition teams are. Perhaps he should turn that round and say how poorly his team selections and set ups make us look against determined, but often only modest, opposition. Frustrating and annoying that our last three performances have been so predictable, almost interchangeable and totally sub-standard for an ITFC team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:15 am

The thing I don't understand Herforder though is that throughout our difficult run of games in February 3-5-2 was working, or so it seemed, it is hard to fathom out.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am

hallamblue wrote:Thanks for that Mike / Mach.

My overriding concern is the apparent apathy from the team now. This tells me that McCarthy IS leaving in the summer and the players know that. They are loyal to their manager and are affected by this decision. The problem is the gap between us and the bottom three is narrowing and it is not out of the question that we can soon be dragged into that dog fight. The players are showing signs of indifference to the season's outcome, which is a big worry to me, and more of a worry than the ongoing poor style of play.

Frankly, the best thing that could happen now is for Evans to pay off McCarthy NOW which sees him depart. If I was Evans, I'd them get in Burley as interim manager for the last 9 games. To do nothing, IMO is not an option now because the Club are NOT safe from relegation.

FFS Evans, act now man!
hallam
I still think MM will see out his contract and Evans policy of a minimum transfer budget will continue.
If so then I feel next year might be when everything finally catches up with us and the drop to League 1 becomes reality. If this does happen then imo there is just as much chance of us doing a Coventry as of a quick return to the Championship.
Depressing times indeed and at this moment in time it is hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 am

I must be honest I have absolutely no idea which way this is going to go with MM in the Summer, I just can't make my mind up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for both the reports ... easy to say but they're appreciated and a great read.

Just can't understand how when we've had a bit of a February 'bounce' and just need a couple of wins to put any doubts of relegation behind us - MM has to PLAN to be so defensive.

There is so much to be gained for setting up more offensively..... the 3 points, entertainment, optimism for next season, selling ST's , repairing strained club-fan relations , the good-feel .... but obviuously MM knows best and ... why put yourself in a position where you can be safely mid-table too soon when we can enter the excitement of a relegation battle? Thanks, Mick ... you're right .... football is something to endure rather than enjoy. And we got the last-minute equaliser so everything's OK in MM world and so we can't complain about excitement.

Surely Lawrence or McGoldrick can drop into midfield with just 1 defensive midfielder? That should allow a recall for Pitman or Sears.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I think Mick knows that he is manager of a very unique club in the sense that he just will not be sacked. Any other club, he'd have been gone by Christmas. Not saying I was in a "mick out" campaign, just saying it's the nature of this club, at this moment in time, with Mevans, that they don't sack.

Fake news alert; I think Mick is tinkering. He's seeing how far he can go. What's he got to lose? Question is, what's he got to gain? A pay off? He's in the best f**king job on the planet. Doing it half arsed, and getting paid. Just a great pity it's ITFC.

But the fake news certainly doesn't explain a very good Feb against decent opposition.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:13 pm

bluemike wrote:The thing I don't understand Herforder though is that throughout our difficult run of games in February 3-5-2 was working, or so it seemed, it is hard to fathom out.
Agree, Mike, it is something of a mystery. Perhaps the fact that it was a new and, for MM, novel way to set up, meant that the players responded to it enthusiastically and gave that bit extra to make it work. The problem comes against aggressive, quick passing, opponents who effectively press our wing backs, whilst our centre mid has been finding it difficult to win and retain possession, whilst creating opportunities in the final third. This then sees Didsy and TL dropping deep, or playing wide, to try to gain possession and get shots on target - but far too few real chances created like that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:25 pm

herforder wrote:
bluemike wrote:The thing I don't understand Herforder though is that throughout our difficult run of games in February 3-5-2 was working, or so it seemed, it is hard to fathom out.
Agree, Mike, it is something of a mystery. Perhaps the fact that it was a new and, for MM, novel way to set up, meant that the players responded to it enthusiastically and gave that bit extra to make it work. The problem comes against aggressive, quick passing, opponents who effectively press our wing backs, whilst our centre mid has been finding it difficult to win and retain possession, whilst creating opportunities in the final third. This then sees Didsy and TL dropping deep, or playing wide, to try to gain possession and get shots on target - but far too few real chances created like that.
That may be so, what I do know is that I do NOT want to see us reverting back to a 4-4-2 with Knudsen as the LB, they can all just do one if that happens, it's incredible really, here we are in March and nobody knows our best bloody formation.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:29 pm

FFS Evans, act now man!
I get confusingly mixed messages from MM. On the one hand he's on record as saying that he'll review his position in the summer, taking account of supporters' feelings reflected thru ST sales; and saying, also, that he's not just content to bumble along in mid-table mediocrity. I took this as a clear warning shot across ME's bows regarding future budget. The implication of all that appeared to suggest that if he wasn't happy on both counts, then he'd be off.

More recently, however, MM pops up talking about admiring Marley Watkins, and not ruling out the possibility to trying to bring him in during the summer. Not the thoughts of someone contemplating turning his back on a very lucrative contract? I rule out ME actually removing him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:12 pm

herforder wrote:

FFS Evans, act now man!
I get confusingly mixed messages from MM. On the one hand he's on record as saying that he'll review his position in the summer, taking account of supporters' feelings reflected thru ST sales; and saying, also, that he's not just content to bumble along in mid-table mediocrity. I took this as a clear warning shot across ME's bows regarding future budget. The implication of all that appeared to suggest that if he wasn't happy on both counts, then he'd be off.

More recently, however, MM pops up talking about admiring Marley Watkins, and not ruling out the possibility to trying to bring him in during the summer. Not the thoughts of someone contemplating turning his back on a very lucrative contract? I rule out ME actually removing him.
This is all for me to get ST's sold.

You're appeasing some fans who want to get rid of him... but offering a glimmer of hope that money will be spent over the summer... maybe with or without MM.

Once season tickets are sold ( if they do get sold) I guess Mick can see out his one year and job done, contract seen out. Where this club will be who knows.... but I bet Mick will give a glowing account of his own job he's done here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:34 pm

I think it will take MM'S sacking to get ST to. pick up. Fans are that sick of the style of football being served up for do.long now. Nothing else will do but his sacking. It would show Evans us taking it seriously.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm

bluemike wrote:
herforder wrote:
That may be so, what I do know is that I do NOT want to see us reverting back to a 4-4-2 with Knudsen as the LB, they can all just do one if that happens, it's incredible really, here we are in March and nobody knows our best bloody formation.
Agreed - if it is 4-4-2, then it has to be Kenlock at LB. Ironic that Knudsen was scouted and brought in as a LB only to discover, almost by chance, that whilst he comes up very short in that position, he's actually more effective as a left sided CB! I've often wondered what qualities the scouts saw prompting MM to sign him. More likely to be about availability and ME's hard-earned!

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Things started to go downhill after Jay Tabb stopped playing. Coincidence? I think not.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:48 pm

J4ck22 wrote:Things started to go downhill after Jay Tabb stopped playing. Coincidence? I think not.
Different class our Tabby.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm

J4ck22 wrote:Things started to go downhill after Jay Tabb stopped playing. Coincidence? I think not.
:D :D :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Well at least Tabb won his headers, unlike the rest of 'em now. :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:Well at least Tabb won his headers, unlike the rest of 'em now. :D

Definitely would outjump Moore. :lol: Never forget the header Tabby scored against Middlesbrough.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Pulled this quote from a thread on TWTD:
I think we need look no further than Mick McCarthy's tactics once again to see how Diagouraga has now become "ineffective".

Mick has cunningly slipped "Dave" in alongside Skuse instead if Douglas/ Skuse, to maintain his favoured ultra defensive central midfield partnership.

It's soul destroying.

Just WTF is McCarthy so scared of , to stick 7 defensively minded or defensively coached players in a team and not even want to attack the opposition. It beggars belief he is still the manager, but suspect it's a case of who blinks first between Evans and McCarthy over his contract. There are no winners only losers in this scenario - us!
Funny how our form is going to shyte again after MM has had a few weeks with the new boys...

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I think the number of Season ticket returns will make or break it for him.
ALOT of fans will say NO when they come through the post whenever that may be...?
The 12 month interest free option starts in April normally but that`s only 3 weeks away.
What spin they are going to come up with will be worth waiting for.
For me I WILL NOT be renewing mine under the current situation....
I am BORED watching them at the moment nothing worth getting excited about.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 pm

It is a difficult situation for the fans, Blueblood.

Me, personally, I'm a selfish b*stard. I leave the other fans to make the big statements, i.e., not renew their tickets. I gotta watch Hibs every game at Easter Road whether they're sh*t or not. If the non renew-ers get the change needed, then great.