Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A Wales of a Time to be had?

Cardiff Win
43%
Ipswich Win
No votes
Draw
57%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Image Cardiff City v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 18th March 2017 - 15:00

Cardiff City Stadium

Opening Thought – Jamma

Looking for positives, as I generally try to do, one good thing about following Ipswich at the moment is that at least they should win you some money at the bookies or on the pools…! Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Barnsley was the seventh time the points had been shared in the last eight games involving the Blues, and the fifth outing of the last six that had produced that scoreline. But for those who hadn’t backed the draw – at a surprisingly generous 9/4 – or added Town to their pools coupon, there was precious little to cheer at Oakwell other than Tom Lawrence’s late equaliser. If you were looking for a composite of Ipswich Town’s matches in 2016/17, Saturday would have come pretty close. The Blues have enough possession but labour in the final third, while the opposition – invariably ‘a good side’ – pass the ball more incisively and enjoy the lion’s share of the chances. We surrender what little initiative we have from an attacking set piece, only to see our opponents win the ball back and break away to score. Once again, we are left thankful for our two standout performers of the season to salvage a point – Bartosz Bialkowski making a classy save to keep us in it before Lawrence popped up with a 93rd-minute strike to secure a barely-deserved draw. It’s got to the stage where the wider football community has even started to take notice of how predictable we are – my Inter Milan-supporting boss stopped asking how Ipswich got on at the weekend after draw No. 4 on the bounce!

So, with the threat of relegation refusing to go away, the question of most immediate concern is can we afford to sustain this ‘form’ and still be sure of being a Championship club come August? Going by the 50 points usually required to stay up, the nine fixtures remaining should be more than enough to see us finish above the dreaded dotted line. You would certainly sooner be in our position than some of the other big clubs down there like Nottingham Forest and Wolves (albeit the latter breathing down our neck with a game in hand). And yet the way in which Town have almost stumbled to the last three results hardly fills you with confidence. Yes, we can take heart from the fact that we are still unbeaten in eight matches, but at the same time we have been fortunate not to lose the last three. I certainly don’t fancy the prospect of going into back-to-back home games at the beginning of next month against two potential rivals for the drop with the need for points as well as the added pressure that accompanies every match at Portman Road at the moment. But before the visits of Birmingham and Wigan is a meeting with a revitalised Cardiff City. The Bluebirds are unrecognisable from the team that was staring relegation in the face prior to Neil Warnock’s appointment in October. The man who everyone loves to hate has galvanised the club in much the same way as he did Rotherham this time last year, and they look well set to compete at the right end of the table in 2017/18. Questions will inevitably be asked about whether Ipswich should have gone down a similar route, as we look to turn the draws into a much needed 3 points.

The Opposition – Cardiff City FC

Riverside A.F.C. was formed in 1899 as a way of keeping players from the Riverside Cricket Club together and in shape during the winter months. In 1905, Cardiff was granted city status by King Edward VII, and as a result the club put in a request to change their name to Cardiff City, but the request was turned down as they were deemed to not be playing at a high enough level. To combat this, they arranged to join the South Wales Amateur League in 1907 and the following year they were granted permission to change the name of the club to Cardiff City. 
   
Over the next two years, the club welcomed many of Britain's top sides to Cardiff, including Middlesbrough, Bristol City and Crystal Palace, with the matches being played at various grounds in Cardiff and nearby towns. The club would eventually move into their new ground, Ninian Park, in 1910.  
   
With the new ground in place, Cardiff joined the Southern League Second Division. Their first match was a 2–1 defeat to Aston Villa. They stayed in the division for the next decade, apart from when the league was suspended due to the outbreak of World War I. 
   
The club's most successful period so far has been the 1920s, in which they finished runners-up in the old Football League First Division, followed by two FA Cup finals in 1925 and 1927, the latter against Arsenal. The final against Arsenal saw Cardiff become the only team to have taken the FA Cup out of England, with a 1–0 victory. The final was also notable as it was the first to be broadcast to the nation by BBC Radio. 
   
On 30 August 1920, Cardiff City played their first Football League match at Ninian Park. 
   
This early Cardiff City team showed more than enough class to match others in the league, and they were promoted to the top flight of English Football at the first attempt. 
   
1923–24 has proved to be the best ever in the league for Cardiff City. After a dramatic season in which they and Huddersfield Town tussled for the Championship title, Cardiff would have to settle for 2nd spot on goal average. 
   
The following season was the first time Cardiff City appeared at Wembley Stadium in an FA Cup final, versus Sheffield United, which they lost 1-0, and, as mentioned above, in 1927 they won the FA Cup final against Arsenal. 
   
That FA Cup win was not the end of their cup exploits that season; they also won the Welsh Cup, defeating Rhyl by a scoreline of 2–0, and would go on to win the FA Charity Shield after beating the Corinthians 2–1 at Stamford Bridge. 
   
In the 1928–29 season, Cardiff City were relegated from the First Division of the Football League. However, this was only a sign of things to come for the Bluebirds, and after two seasons in the Second Division, they were once again relegated in 1931 into Division 3 South, and in 1934 they had to re-apply to stay in the Football League after finishing last. 
They were crowned champions of Division 3 South and returned to the Second Division in the 1946–47 season. Finally, they finished second level runners-up and returned to the top level after 23 years in the 1951–52 season. 
   
During the 1960s, Cardiff began qualifying for European competition for the first time through the Welsh Cup. Two years later, the club would go on to reach the semi-final of the Cup Winners’ Cup, the furthest any non-top division club has ever gone in European competition. 
   
The club remained in the old Second Division except for the 1975–76 and 1982–83 seasons. 
   
Between 1985 and 1993, Cardiff were continuously in the lower two divisions of the league after being relegated to the Third Division. They were relegated to the Fourth Division once in the 1985–86 season and were promoted to the Third Division in 1987–88 as runners-up. Two years later, they dropped into the Fourth Division for the second time. Cardiff won the new Division Three championship in 1993 but were relegated two years later, and in 1996 finished in their lowest ever league position – 22nd of 24 in Division Three. They finished third in Division Three in 1999 and won automatic promotion to Division Two. 
   
Having sold his interests in Wimbledon, Sam Hammam purchased control of Cardiff City in August 2000. Shortly after he took over at Cardiff, the club crest was redesigned. This new design incorporated the Cardiff City bluebird in front of the Flag of Saint David, and featured the Club's nickname superimposed at the top of the crest. Lennie Lawrence guided Cardiff to promotion via a Division Two play-off triumph in 2003. 
   
The Bluebirds established themselves in Division One during the 2003–04 season, finishing in 13th position. They struggled to a 16th position finish at the end of the 2004–05 campaign and ended the 2005–06 season with an 11th position finish. 
   
After failing to get the new stadium plans agreed by Cardiff Council due to concerns over financial security in 2006, Hammam agreed to a takeover by a consortium led by new chairman Peter Ridsdale but the club remained £40 million in debt.   
   
Datuk Chan Tien Ghee (TG) took over as chairman on 27 May 2010 after a meeting on the same day. Vincent Tan also invested and joined the board. 
   
Cardiff changed their home colours to red and black, as well as their badge, from the 2012–13 season in exchange for an investment plan from the Malaysian owners, including a new training facility, stadium expansion and a transfer budget. Cardiff topped the Championship and with it gained promotion to the Premier League for the first time, but were relegated after only one season with 30 points from 38 matches. 

Ole Gunnar Solskjær was sacked on 18 September 2014, and replaced by Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade.  

On 2 January 2015, Cardiff beat Colchester United in the FA Cup in front of the lowest ever recorded crowd of 4,194 at the Cardiff City Stadium, which prompted an emergency meeting of the Cardiff Board. A week later, the club announced an official statement, saying that, after deliberation with members of the board and chosen fans, the club's home colours would be changed back to blue with immediate effect.  

On 5 October 2016, Neil Warnock was appointed First Team manager of Cardiff City. 

Last season, Cardiff finished in 8th place in the Championship table on 68 points.

The Gaffer – Neil Warnock

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Let's see if Warnock and Bamba can keep their hands off each other this time :D

Media Watch - K L Blue

Tom Lawrence on Cardiff game

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... _1_4931364

McGreal confirms Towns Interest

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31352/

Form Guide

Cardiff Last 5 Matches – Currently in 13th place with 48 points

Cardiff City 1-1 Birmingham City

Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Cardiff City

QPR 2-1 Cardiff City

Cardiff City 2-2 Fulham FC

Cardiff City 5-0 Rotherham

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 16th place with 45 points

Barnsley 1-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 0-0 Wolverhampton

Ipswich Town 1-1 Brentford FC

Norwich City 1-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-1 Leeds United

Fixtures of Interest

BIRMINGHAM VS NEWCASTLE

BURTON VS BRENTFORD

Q.P.R. VS ROTHERHAM

THE DON CUP

Excellent week of captions, probably the best this season for laugh out loud funnies. Was even minding my own business making a cup of tea at one point, singing "head, shoulders, tits and toes", to which the wife overheard and asked "What is that you are singing?" Oops!

SCORES:

Barmy Billy 5pts
Frosty & Blueblood (shoulders, tits, toes) 4pts
Nicsreamer & Derick 3pts
Bluemike & Tangfastic 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

DerickIpsw 64
Gold&Black 63
Blueblood 61
Nicscreamer 54
Herforder 51
Frosty 51
Ando 48
Bluemike 48
Tangtastic 48
Number 9 30
Shed on Tour 27
Watership Down 27
Quasar 27
Patthegimp 17
IpswichtownNo1 15
Ashfordblue 10
Barmy Billy 7
LoudNProud 6
Supershred 3
Longjohn 1
Foxy Lady 1
ItfcTrev76 1

Try this one....... The future of Cardiff City:

Match Referee – James Linington

Final Thought - Bluemike

So Nine games to go and Forty Five points on the board, Seven clear of the drop zone. There is always much speculation as to what the safety mark is but by and large it is generally accepted that Fifty points will almost certainly see you safe so we need just Five more points right, well let's set a target of Fifty Two just to be on the safe side meaning it's seven more required to guarantee our Sixteenth conscutive Championship campaign. It all sounds crazy to even be talking about what we need to stay up considering we are Eight games unbeaten and personally I do not even think we are in a relegation scrap, blinkered ? Maybe I am but one thing that cannot be argued with is that we are hard to beat right now and are not losing games, that alone will ensure we are fine, as long as we continue to scrap away for points, even when we are not deserving of anything, like at Barnsley last weekend. I cannot recall ever celebrating a dull boring game more than I did at Oakwell, so bad were we it felt like a victory as the second half was torrid to watch and no way on earth did we look like salvaging anything. The very fact we scored in the Ninety Third minute tells you that the team are trying their damndest even when not playing well, they keep going to the very end and on this occasion grabbed something when all looked lost.

So let's go back to this final Nine games and see where these Seven points are going to come from. First up is Cardiff who it has to be said are a team transformed under Neil Warnock, I have this down as Zero points for Town I am afraid to say, next up we have Two massive Home games in the space of Four days, Birmingham who are in freefall on the Saturday and struggling Wigan the following Tuesday, for me this is where we secure our fate, I have this down as a Six point haul putting us on the cusp of safety. I see the run in as follows :- Fulham (0), Burton (1), Newcastle (0), Rotherham (3), Sheff Wed (0) and Forest (1), that is another Five points giving us Eleven more in total taking us to Fifty Six, safe as houses seeing as Bristol City would need to win at least Six more and Wigan Seven or Eight, and that won't happen so relax everyone !!!!! God what have I done !!!

As I have already stated I see little return from the trip to Cardiff, I just don't fancy us at all, we are due a defeat, they are playing well, the Warnock factor, you name it. Having said all of that I didn't really fancy us at Preston, Villa, Brighton & Norwich and we all know what happened at all of them so you just never know. Either way I am looking forward to my second trip to the Cardiff City Stadium and hope it is far more enjoyable than last season's borefest, coming home with anything at all will be a big bonus, after the inept display in Yorkshire last weekend I think we are at least entitled to expect a bit of a reaction from the Town players. COYB'S

CARDIFF CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Cardiff 2- 0 ipswich.

Caption comp
" ive been at it all day and i STILL CANT DO THOSE FU@KIN SPOCK FINGERS!!!"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Sorry didn't realize the new game thread had been provided.

In short, this would appear a drawn game all day long. The Welsh team are frequently indifferent and even away from home we should have enough to take back at least a point. Obviously little to shoot for now in our season but hopefully the players will put on a show and liven up (another) otherwise mundane and lackluster campaign. A victory there would just about avert any last relegation concern but a point would seem most probable from this trip.

Cardiff City 2 Ipswich 2

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Caption comp.
" yeah keep laffin, at least i still supported them in red, fickle tw@ts!!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:49 am

Indeed....... what have you done! :lol: Have you heard of an area of Glasgow called Easthouses? The saying up here, when things could be safer, is; "Safe as houses, feckin Easthouses!" :D Joking aside though, another quality preview from you guys.

Said this before, I don't know what it is about Cardiff City, just do not like them at all. I think if I hailed from that southern Wales area, I'd be a Swansea fan for sure. Or Llandridnoddlldoodll Wells Rovers. One of them anyway.
Going to take Saints advice and make this one of the draws on the pools coupon. I usually stay away from Ipswich and Hibs on the coupon. If Cardiff win, it's Saints fault.
Definitely think a point is achievable though.
1-1

Ref:

Player 1: You gonna book him ref?
Player 2: Ref? That was a shocker.
Player 3: Can't believe you're not getting the yellow card out, ref.
Ref: Look...... shine a torch on my hand......... it's a rabbit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 am

CAPTION. ..."I can get this many in my latest girlfriend Dad but all she ever says is Baaaaaaaaa"

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:45 am

Cardiff's recent form since demolishing Rotherham (3 draws, 1 defeat) doesn't look much better than ours.

This is a game we could win. However I expect MM to set up with a back 5 with both Diagouraga and Skuse in front, in which case we will be lucky to get anything out of it. A keeper, 7 defensive players and a strike partnership that also plays deep... 2-0 defeat.

On the other hand if he only plays one of those 2 with Huws and Ward in front, which would push McGoldrick and Lawrence further forward, we could win 2 - 1. Can't see him thinking this way. In fact I think there's more chance of me shagging the Pope....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:33 am

Just as long as you don't actually WANT to shag the Pope, Andy.

Long story short, the Pope was walking through the Vatican with a video camera. On the camera was footage of him relieving himself in the gardens. His tea lady asked him where he got the camera.
"Bought it from a young lad for half a million Euros, Betty."
Tea lady Betty: "Dear God, your eminence. He must've saw you coming."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

As I continue listening to the Radio, Andy......, maybe a more accurate statement would be; more chance of Adele writing a cheery song.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:59 am

marko69 wrote:As I continue listening to the Radio, Andy......, maybe a more accurate statement would be; more chance of Adele writing a cheery song.
:D

I quite like Adele but she's one of the singers who manages to make every song sound the same. But then I guess Status Quo and T. Rex (to name but 2) had big carers doing just that.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

Its just got draw written all over it 1-1

Caption - God, watch Cardiff v Ipswich or poke my eyes out? .... Here goes

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

nicscreamer wrote:Its just got draw written all over it 1-1

That was really funny Nic.

Happy birthday btw mate

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Caption - What ya reckon son ?
Son : ahhhh 2-2 Town to get another boring draw !

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm

lmao - omfg ! BlueMike has won this caption,
Cheers mate ! off to get a tea towel to wipe up the tea from my desk AND nostrils !!!!

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Andym wrote:Cardiff's recent form since demolishing Rotherham (3 draws, 1 defeat) doesn't look much better than ours.

This is a game we could win. However I expect MM to set up with a back 5 with both Diagouraga and Skuse in front, in which case we will be lucky to get anything out of it. A keeper, 7 defensive players and a strike partnership that also plays deep... 2-0 defeat.

On the other hand if he only plays one of those 2 with Huws and Ward in front, which would push McGoldrick and Lawrence further forward, we could win 2 - 1. Can't see him thinking this way. In fact I think there's more chance of me shagging the Pope....

Inside info just reached the Vatican that MM's going to abandon his safety first mentality, play 3 strikers and attack, attack, attack. The nun's are getting your room ready, and the Pope's looking forward to your visit! :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:27 pm

1-1. What else?

Caption: "Dad - my ar*ehole looks like this!!!! Can you stop sending me to the Barry Bennell coaching sessions "

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Yet another great preview - and, as ever, joint efforts really appreciated, as the season heads towards it's final knockings.

Mixed views on how serious our current situation is, and varying degrees of certainty/uncertainty regarding the dreaded "R" threat. A win on Saturday would obviously be tremendous in easing those fears a tad; in an unpredictable league there are no certainties regarding how those teams in and around us will perform. We only have control over what we do - and that, for me, means going all out for a win against Cardiff. Be great to see the starting set up as for QPR, with 3 strikers starting. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether MM goes for it, or sticks with his 'every point's a prisoner' approach.

Ever hopeful, I go for a narrow 1-0 win to Town.

Some cracking caption comp entries btw.

Son to Dad: "Neil's going to play 4 at the back and 4 in midfield - got it?"
"Mum was right, you're useless at understanding 4 play"!
Last edited by herforder on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm going to buck the trend and go with an Ipswich win 1 - 2

Caption. "Dad I've got 4 fingers and only 2 nostrils, where do I put the other 2" Dad "Guess son"

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Andym wrote:Cardiff's recent form since demolishing Rotherham (3 draws, 1 defeat) doesn't look much better than ours.

Sorry Andy mate Huws cant play as Cardiff is his parent club, and couldn't anyway as Mick says he's got TIGHT Hamstring ?? yeh right, Mick to play 5 4 1 formation, looking for yet another draw

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Quasar wrote:lmao - omfg ! BlueMike has won this caption,
Cheers mate ! off to get a tea towel to wipe up the tea from my desk AND nostrils !!!!
LOL Sorry mate.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Warnock will have the measure of McCarthy. 3-0 home win.

Caption: f..k what the health visitor said! I want 4 pies at half time

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am

ashfordblue wrote:

Sorry Andy mate Huws cant play as Cardiff is his parent club, and couldn't anyway as Mick says he's got TIGHT Hamstring ?? yeh right, Mick to play 5 4 1 formation, looking for yet another draw
So it's pretty well bound to be a Town line-up with a back 7.

And then I'll get the letter asking me to pay an extra £168 for a season ticket as I'll lose my old man discount.

If that's how he plays it, it's the last straw I'm afraid. I won't be renewing to watch another season of defensive, mind-numbingly-boring dross.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 am

Caption

"f**king Superglue!"

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 am

Andym wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

So it's pretty well bound to be a Town line-up with a back 7.

And then I'll get the letter asking me to pay an extra £168 for a season ticket as I'll lose my old man discount.

If that's how he plays it, it's the last straw I'm afraid. I won't be renewing to watch another season of defensive, mind-numbingly-boring dross.
Serves you right for being old and remembering good quality football then. You're not wanted and you moan too much. :wink:
Town have increased the age at which fans are entitled to a senior citizens concession from 60 to 65 in line with other clubs.
Milne's plan is get the youngsters in . That's smart - if you can indoctrinate them young then they'll only expect sh*t football.

Caption 2:

"Dad, I've got two 2 pound TeamCard points - can I buy a burger with this or do I have to keep having to come to watch this sh*t? "

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Frosty wrote:
nicscreamer wrote:Its just got draw written all over it 1-1

That was really funny Nic.

Happy birthday btw mate
Awww thanks Bud :-) not quite 50 yet !!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 pm

well at least I cannot see another draw

I expect MM to go with a defensive wall formation of 9-0-1
They will not be able to break the wall down, but in the second half I expect 'fingers' Berra to give away a penalty.

Cardiff 1 - Ipswich 0

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Hey young Bryn . I know he’s from Suffolk but he should still understand "P*ss Off back to England* without the sign language.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:25 am

Caption comp: His Dad knew that Shagging the Ewe would have side effects on his children

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

Caption : that's my boy. His mum would of been proud, if she hadn't drowned in the sheep dip!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Warnock caption:

Come on, Neil......., you've been standing there for 5 minutes........., what ye gonnae sing?