Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A Wales of a Time to be had?

Cardiff Win
43%
Ipswich Win
No votes
Draw
57%

Total votes: 14

Earl Blue

Re: Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:24 pm

0 - 1 Ipswich..

Luke Chambers on 23 Mins

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Guess what..

Yep.

1 - 1

:roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Town are incapable of holding onto a lead. And other than defenders scoring from set pieces, I ccannot see a Town " striker" scoring the winner today. MM will probably try and hold out for a draw now. Bad decision. Especially given that teams below us are attacking and winning. They have to desire to win .....whereas Town ??

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 pm

2 - 1 Cardiff

:twisted:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm

oh well , that's us in the shyte with no strikers to score goals and zero confidence on the squad.

f*ck off Evans

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 pm

3 - 1 ..

:twisted: :twisted:

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm

God this is getting really bleak, no sign of a win anywhere, our owner somehow proving to be even more inept than first thought, even with a decent manager who is running out of ideas because he's not being backed and we're slowly sliding down the table with not long left.

If it carries on like this I feel a change might come sooner than we think.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm

3-1 - abject defending by players of the quality to get us in the PL. As stated by Ian Milne this lunchtime - although he did admit that he doesn't know much about football! :astroll:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Going to see out the remaining moments of the game. f*ck knows for what purpose, we're as good as beaten and the team doesn't deserve my time. Just maybe something will occur in the final minutes that can provide a level of expectation.

Appears we've had the better of possession but can't do a damn thing with it while the opposition have seen more attempts on goal. The only saving grace being there's worse teams than ourselves in this league that will ultimately avert any relegation concern.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

That's time up and a 3 - 1 loss. Doubtless McCarthy will provide the obligatory poker-faced interview after game about how we were unlucky / beaten by a superior team / it's only a minor glitch etc, but how any are going to even take notice. No win at Cardiff for six years if correct and no win in all games for something like seven or eight matches on back of today's score.

"Look forward" to the game report from various individuals but guessing there's won't be much different from before in viewing analysis of what is essentially another disappointing show and failure to do what the players salaries request of them.

(For what's it worth, McCarthy OUT, but realize now this is ultimately a futile expectation)

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm

saint jude wrote:Going to see out the remaining moments of the game. f*ck knows for what purpose, we're as good as beaten and the team doesn't deserve my time. Just maybe something will occur in the final minutes that can provide a level of expectation.

Appears we've had the better of possession but can't do a damn thing with it while the opposition have seen more attempts on goal. The only saving grace being there's worse teams than ourselves in this league that will ultimately avert any relegation concern.
The next two home games will be definitive.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 pm

J4ck22 wrote:God this is getting really bleak, no sign of a win anywhere, our owner somehow proving to be even more inept than first thought, even with a decent manager who is running out of ideas because he's not being backed and we're slowly sliding down the table with not long left.

some of us on here have been voicing concerns about MM and ME for a couple of years now, Jack, and you were one of the most verbal of critics at those opinions. Out of interest, do you still consider that you were right?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 am

Caption Comp : Boy does impression of Marcus Evans Sucking the life out of Ipswich Town Football Club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am

Post match caption:
Fffffffffuck! You promised 4 goals dad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 am

Yesterday's trip to Cardiff panned out pretty much as I expected with nothing to show for our efforts, Town again lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Tommy Smith again getting a run out as he works his way back to full match fitness. The opening few minutes saw Town all over the place with several poor feekicks conceded around our area, it was from one of these kicks that Bart was forced into the first action of the afternoon as he palmed away Peter Whittingham's effort, while not long after Zohore fired high and wide when he should really have done better. Despite the shaky start it was Town who on Ten minutes had a glorious chance to go ahead, for once Town broke out at pace, Mcgoldrick won the ball and played Lawrence in down the right, the Town loanee strode forward before delivering a ball into the box perfectly for Grant Ward to slot it home, unfortunately he hit it straight at the Cardiff keeper when a yard either side would have seen us ahead, it was a terrilbe miss and one which was to come back to haunt us.

Town had taken the game by the scruff of the neck and were actually playing some ok stuff, Diagouraga was winning a lot of ball in the middle while Didsy and Lawrence had the Cardiff defence wobbling at times. Midway through the half Town deservedly took the lead, a freekick from our right was delivered perfectly by Lawrence for Chambo to bullett his header back across goal and into the net, it was no more than we deserved at that point as the Town fans down at the other end celebrated in fine style. The Cardiff response was predictable as they looked to step it up, freekick after freekick was being awarded to the welsh side by the totally inept and picky referee who it has to be said had a stinker all afternoon and appeared to want to give us very little. Town were having to defend more now and Zohgore was proving a a handful for the Town defence, from yet another freekick, this time stupidly given away by Knudsen Cardfiff drew level, the ball was delivered in to the back post wher a cardiff player rose to head it down, Zohore was the quickest to react and rifled it home, poor defending for me on Two counts, the header from the feekick wasn't challenged well enough and the reaction of Town's defenders was so slow. It was all cardiff as the HT whistle neared, Zohore again firing high and wide before Hoillett smashed a shot against the post. Town had a really good 20 minute spell which we dominated and got ourselves ahead but once cardiff drew level they were on top, their goal seemed to knock some belief out of us but it was still very much all to play for.

I don't know how many times I have felt this but what goes on in our dressing room at HT because again we just did not turn up, it was woeful beyond belief and a shadow of the team's first half effort, the attitude seemed to have gone, the effort lacked the same intensity and some of the players body language just wasn't the same. Whether it was switching to 4-4-2 I don't know but it was a shambles. Cardiffs second goal was not long coming as Town were needlessly carved open, a clever little backheel from Hoillett sent Zohore away and with our skipper choosing to stand rooted to the spot ratrher than chase back or something the striker scored his second of the game, again it was p*ss poor from Town and again we gifted them a goal.

Town were getting forward at times with Didsy the most likely but a couple of efforts from him were very weak and dealt with comfortably, he still tries to do too much by himself and had options to make a telling pass which he chose to ignore. If the first Two cardiff goals were poor from a Town viewpoint the Third was no different, cardiff got in behind our defence all too easily and Skuse was absolutely left for dead by the Cardiff striker who pulled it back for Bennett to smash home, 3-1 and game over, we were never going to pull this back in a Million years and so it proved, the swtich to 4-4-2 had been a disaster in truth as we were being outplayed. The final 10-15 minutes was end to end with half chances coming at both ends, Danny Rowe had been sent on with Sears to try and salvage something and Rowe actually looked pretty lively the short time he was on the pitch. The game was drifting to its inevitable conclusion when Bart made a good sdave from the impressive Hoillett to at least keep it from being a heavier defeat. I think Town were denied a certain penalty in the dying seconds but hey ho who gives a f*ck.

We really did roll over yesterday and at times were our own worst enemies, at 1-0 we had been in the ascendancy but whether it is a lack of confidence or what I just don't know because from the second they equalised we went into ourselves, stopped expressing ourselves and began looking for long and hopeless balls again and with the Wind and rain that was a futile way to go. For me we gifted them all Three goals through shoddy defending and a lack of discipline, numerous free kicks were conceded and we gave the ball away time after time when in good positions, the referee needed no help in awarding them everything but that is not the reason we lost, he just made it easier for them.

Bart (6) Spence (5) Berra (6) Chambers (5) Smith (5) Knudsen (4) Ward (5) Skuse (5) Diagouraga (7) Lawrence (6) Didsy (6) SUBS :- Pitman (6) Rowe (6) Sears (5)

MM has stated we are in a relegation scrap and I suppose you have to concur with that, however I think we have the fixtures to get the points we need, I did not fancy us one bit yesterday and so it proved, however the up coming two home games with Birmingham & Wigan are massive, Two wins and we will almost be home and dry and playing like we did in February we would win them both, however where the hell has that form gone ? Fail to win those Two and we then have a bigger fight on our hands where games at Burton & Rotherham become huge, it's in our hands for sure but yesterday for an hour it was not good enough, we waved a White flag pretty much.

In a week where we have been asked to stomp up another 1.5% for the privillege of watching our team the players decided to drop their second half performances by much more than 1.5% while of course still picking up their mega bucks, thats the way it is I guess, people question my sanity dragging my arse all the way over to a cold, wet and windy wales to watch such drivel, after days like that how can you argue with them ? The reason is it will change one day, I just hope it is not next season in League One, I for one don't believe that will happen but only as long as yesterdays second half is not allowed to keep on happening. COYB'S
Last edited by Bluemike on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:10 pm

rossi wrote:
J4ck22 wrote:God this is getting really bleak, no sign of a win anywhere, our owner somehow proving to be even more inept than first thought, even with a decent manager who is running out of ideas because he's not being backed and we're slowly sliding down the table with not long left.

some of us on here have been voicing concerns about MM and ME for a couple of years now, Jack, and you were one of the most verbal of critics at those opinions. Out of interest, do you still consider that you were right?
At the time, yes. I do think it was way too early to tell, especially considering those couple of years had just seen us coming off a playoff finish.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for that Mike.

I feel the players downed tools second half after MM had made senseless changes to our line up. From watching highlights on TV Berra looked responsible for two of those goals as husband marking and being turned by the striker makes him an abysmal centre back. Why the hell he hasn't been dropped I don't know because that's not the first time he's looked utter crap.

I honestly don't think know the players give a shyte now . Most will not be here next season anyway and nor will McCarthy so why should they care? Town don't perform at home and as much as uts in our own hands, we know damp well MM will line up with an ultra defensive girmation and go for the draw. He Will do this.

If Evans had any balls he'd sack McCarthy NOW and utilise thd likes of Burley's experience for thd remainder of the season. We'd at least see some football for the first time in 4 - 5 years. Bud Evans won't actually. It will cost him money.

Thus Club is dying on its knees under Evans , who after the initial inter3st for a quick return is essentially running down ITFC Ltd.. He has asset stripped ( players sold for millions NONE of which has been plough back into equal replacements)

RIP Ipswich Town FC ( under Evans' watch)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:Thanks for that Mike.

I feel the players downed tools second half after MM had made senseless changes to our line up. From watching highlights on TV Berra looked responsible for two of those goals as husband marking and being turned by the striker makes him an abysmal centre back. Why the hell he hasn't been dropped I don't know because that's not the first time he's looked utter crap.

I honestly don't think know the players give a shyte now . Most will not be here next season anyway and nor will McCarthy so why should they care? Town don't perform at home and as much as uts in our own hands, we know damp well MM will line up with an ultra defensive girmation and go for the draw. He Will do this.

If Evans had any balls he'd sack McCarthy NOW and utilise thd likes of Burley's experience for thd remainder of the season. We'd at least see some football for the first time in 4 - 5 years. Bud Evans won't actually. It will cost him money.

Thus Club is dying on its knees under Evans , who after the initial inter3st for a quick return is essentially running down ITFC Ltd.. He has asset stripped ( players sold for millions NONE of which has been plough back into equal replacements)

RIP Ipswich Town FC ( under Evans' watch)
Hiya Mate, I didnt quite see it the same with berra TBH, he was partially to blame for the first goal as the striker nipped in before him to score but for me Chambers makes a weak attempt at winning the header as the striker rises way above him, add to that knudsens stupidity in giving away the freekick to start with. I don't blame Berra for the second goal, again Chambers is all at sea and in my opinion at fault, Berra gets across to cover the guy who flicks the ball on for Zahore to score while nobody gets back to cover him. As for the third no blame attached to Berra at all, Skuse is left for dead on the byline when he should have done better and Chambers again fails to close done the scorer quickly enough, Berra tries to get in a last ditch block.

Nobody covered themselves in glory but Berra did some good work which obvioulsy won't be seen on highlight footage, Spence & knudsen were very weak at times and all too easily bundled off the ball while Chambers for me was at fault twice, yes he scored but little else went his way and Tommy Smith, was he even on the pitch ? Didnt hardly notice him apart from a couple of times when he hoofed it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
rossi wrote:

At the time, yes. I do think it was way too early to tell, especially considering those couple of years had just seen us coming off a playoff finish.
A wise old owl sat on an oak,
The more he saw, the less he spoke,
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
We should all be like that wise old bird.

Experience counts, I guess ;)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Gary you old Owl you, hope you are well mate and I know it is gut wrenching but I hope to see you before the seasons end if only for that beer and not the football.

The thing is Gary, when somebody is unhappy with something for what 1 or 2 or 3 years eventually it will almost certainly prove to be correct, especially in football. I must admit i kinda share jacks thoughts on this one as I thought a lot of the stick and doubt about ME & MM was very premature. I take my hat off to the likes of yourself who has never wanted or rated MM here from day one, or Andy who I also believe had misgivings, Mach has also been very anti Evans for a long time now and while I do think it all started a bit too soon clearly that time where it proves to be correct is with us now. Mick will almost definitely be gone in the Summer but Evans will not, so what will change, nothing I guess, it will be a monumental job for whoever is boss next season, I just hope they are up to the task with no money as I still believe we would always survive under MM, unfortunately just surviving for ITFC is a jokle and totally unacceptable. Now get your arse up here for one of the last games and I will buy you that Beer, surely Newcastle or Sheff Wed can entice you LOL. Failing that Rochdale opening game next season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 pm

bluemike wrote:Gary you old Owl you, hope you are well mate and I know it is gut wrenching but I hope to see you before the seasons end if only for that beer and not the football.

The thing is Gary, when somebody is unhappy with something for what 1 or 2 or 3 years eventually it will almost certainly prove to be correct, especially in football. I must admit i kinda share jacks thoughts on this one as I thought a lot of the stick and doubt about ME & MM was very premature. I take my hat off to the likes of yourself who has never wanted or rated MM here from day one, or Andy who I also believe had misgivings, Mach has also been very anti Evans for a long time now and while I do think it all started a bit too soon clearly that time where it proves to be correct is with us now. Mick will almost definitely be gone in the Summer but Evans will not, so what will change, nothing I guess, it will be a monumental job for whoever is boss next season, I just hope they are up to the task with no money as I still believe we would always survive under MM, unfortunately just surviving for ITFC is a jokle and totally unacceptable. Now get your arse up here for one of the last games and I will buy you that Beer, surely Newcastle or Sheff Wed can entice you LOL. Failing that Rochdale opening game next season.
Mike, I promise I will try to get up for a game before the season is out. Brexit has had big effects at work, and the only work I can get at the moment is in Sheffield, so I don't have much free time at all, but I will sort something out.
FWIW, I feel genuinely sorry for MM - he's had no backing whatsoever from the owner, and even though I do not like his management style and approach I would find it difficult to think of anybody who could have done a better job with what he has had at his disposal.
You can fill a pot full of turds, and then add all sorts of colourings/flavourings but at the end of the day what you have is still no more than a pot of turds.
For my money, it's ME who has done the damage, and dont get me started on that useless impotent c*ck known as Milne.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

bluemike wrote:Gary you old Owl you, hope you are well mate and I know it is gut wrenching but I hope to see you before the seasons end if only for that beer and not the football.

Pretty much this. I knew there was always some merit to the criticism of MM, especially Evans for obvious reasons, but felt it was a bit over the top at the time considering that historically our dips in form would normally see a resurgence under Mick. But now it doesn't feel like that resurgence will actually happen and it looks like to me that Mick is running out of ideas fast and I'm not even sure if he will keep us up anymore. I do feel for Mick though because he's been completely sold short by Evans, who couldn't even show any faith in the manager who got us into the playoffs with very little money. If Evans is going to stick with this policy then he needs to perform a miracle of a managerial selection next season otherwise I think we'll go down.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:58 pm

rossi wrote:

Mike, I promise I will try to get up for a game before the season is out. Brexit has had big effects at work, and the only work I can get at the moment is in Sheffield, so I don't have much free time at all, but I will sort something out.
FWIW, I feel genuinely sorry for MM - he's had no backing whatsoever from the owner, and even though I do not like his management style and approach I would find it difficult to think of anybody who could have done a better job with what he has had at his disposal.
You can fill a pot full of turds, and then add all sorts of colourings/flavourings but at the end of the day what you have is still no more than a pot of turds.
For my money, it's ME who has done the damage, and dont get me started on that useless impotent c*ck known as Milne.
Completely agreed. Especially about Milne, the guy is a bloody tool.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Good Report Mike: I do honestly feel sorry for your somewhat wasted trip, just to watch a half hearted effort yet again, I'll give you one thing fella you have loyalty in abundance and I truly admire that, I was like Liz I watched some highlights on TV and your right about Chambo, I've seen the Queen Mary turn quicker, My brother in law who's a Cardiff fan and lives a bus ride away in St Mellon's went yesterday, and even he said our form is too patchy during the game, as he called it in and out form, and he said our heads dropped after the 2nd Cardiff goal, which in his eyes is definitely relegation nerves, he's chuffed with the way Neal Warnock has shaped Cardiff into a good mid table side from joining a sinking ship, and like me he thinks the remaining games Ipswich have got aint going to be pretty one bit, as Blackburn, Forest, Burton, Wolves, Birmingham, are all fighting this relegation battle, and hitting form as well, and Wigan could be a potential banana slip, Rotherham are down for sure, but with teams that are down they seem to relax and go for the shock wins, as they've nothing to lose, we should be able to scrape out of the danger zone, BUT I aint holding my breath on it, we've got a weeks break before Birmingham come to town, so lets hope we can get all players fit and up for the big fight.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

There's been loads of people posting or reading this forum who could see the demise of ITFC. Many of us fans who can't attend matches regularly were forced to rely on others opinions...and for the last two years the consenus was...don't worry, everything will be alright. It taught me to accept objectivity and to ignore my gut-instints, but I still believed things were getting precariuos. I do hope we avoid relegation as we all do obviously. I'll always be an ITFC no matter what happens. COYB!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Bluemike quote in report:
However the up coming two home games with Birmingham & Wigan are massive.

Agreed and I'm sure most people feel the 6pts is absolutely essential.
Wins!! None of that drawing nonsense.
The two after are Fulham away, (0) and Burton away (1) ....., then of course the Toon Army @ PR (0)
So, it is unbelievably crucial that the next two can steer the club away from the bottom three.

For the record, the last two, Millers away & Wednesday @ home are no gimmes.

Really don't want to see some Ipswich Town halfwit writing a song before the Sheffield Wednesday game, Norwich halfwit style.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Suspect that among the majority of supporters there exists greater support for MM, than there is for ME, or his bitch, Ian Milne. The latest ST debacle serving to flag up their ineptitude and disregard for supporters - or perhaps 'customers' is a more business focussed description of those who are the club's beating heart. Sadly increasingly struggling as the blood is squeezed out of them.

Perhaps some day soon Evans will have the courtesy and balls to personally put the case for the defence; or the indefensible, depending upon your stand point. But am not holding my breath!

In the meantime, the players need to get a grip and step up to the plate. They are by no means without blame for our current situation.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 am

Just when you believed you couldn't be insulted further this season there is this :

Either some premature April 1st humor or McCarthy has lost all rational thought. The only reason you're still allowed to continue where you're at is due to having an owner who is as soft as sh*t and has had his head stuck so far in the sand for so long, seems just about oblivious to the increasing damage you have now inflicted upon the club.

"A really good job", Christ, is he serious with this.

Still, if you deem going out of every cup competition at the earliest opportunity, year after year of invariably failing to make any impact and allowing supporters to tolerate mid-league obscurity time after time, and seeing the club fall so far behind you wonder if we can ever regain anything like our previous stature, then who are we to argue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39279508

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 am

Of course he's done a good job. You mentioned "Christ" in your post. He wouldn't have done any better.

He hasn't splashed millions of cash because that cash wasn't available. As Rossi said, you can only do so much with a "pot of turds" and judging by what I've read through press and fan reports, he's investigated all avenues to make these turds play better. He's even brought Tommy Smith back in FFS. (Even Christ would've been scratching his head on that one though!)

If McCarthy was sacked, someone please tell us, WTF would Milne or Evans be able to say in a press conference as to the reason, which couldn't be reversed to be pointed at them??

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 am

Most important thing is our club sees itself in a relegation position - and starts seeing these games as MUST WIN - and not MUST NOT LOSE. Other clubs are seeing this and have reacted already.

I think McCarthy was expecting us to draw our way out of a relegation battle. Once again - relying on other clubs to have worse form than us.

I'm sure Mick is a little bit more comfortable now because he won't have the excuse of blooding youngsters in the team. The 'old hands' will see out the season and most likely grind our way to safety.

Not sure if Emanuell is injured, but he's out of the match day squad. Kenlock is dropped. I see Digby on the bench with 3 CB's plus Knudsen (another CB) in the starting line up.

Its seems a no-brainer that in the next gamesweshould be going out for a win. Stop being extra cautious with your extra pairs of granny knickers on and throw caution to the window and go knickerless - blow the cobwebs off and let the players express themselves! Can't see that all with McCarthy - he seems like he still wants to give us all a lesson in real football and real men and the value of 1-pointers.