Ipswich vs Birmingham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Brum leave Glum?

Ipswich Win
38%
Birmingham Win
24%
1 point again?
38%

Total votes: 21

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Birmingham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Having seen the highlights 2 or 3 times now how is the Birmingham goal not given as offside ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm

We're so gutless we didn't even appeal, did we.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:20 pm

herforder wrote:As far as anything is certain in this game, Billy, I feel pretty certain there will be an 'amicable' parting of the ways, come summer when we're hopefully safe. If so, it all starts again!

I've felt for a long time herforder, that a deal has already been struck....eg you keep us up again and you can leave in the summer to pursue other jobs, but with your last year of your contract paid up in full........

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:12 pm

If the new manager starts signing players who can't get a game for Hampton & Richmond, I'll be in that 50%.

To avoid that ^^^ Over to you Mev, release some cash for the new guy!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I think that was as bad as I can remember.

Team selection was typically defensive and so bloody obviously wrong. As Bluemike said, Douglas did OK - he was probably one of very few Town players to emerge with any credit. But against a team who were going to set up defensively, we did not need Skuse and Douglas. The defence reverted to a back 4 and looked shaky. The midfield "diamond" looked more like a square, with McGoldrick & Ward in front of Skuse and Douglas. So a sort of 4-2-2-2 with no width whatsoever.

Tactics appalling. Can't see how on earth we hoped to score a goal without width or pace.

Most players were dire. Again, Bluemike is correct in criticising Bart for his distribution. Add to that other factors, like:
Skuse (prior to injury) doing his usual impression of a total eclipse, i.e. hiding behind attackers so our defence can't possibly pass to him, matched by most others for their lack of movement off the ball.
Knudsen's distribution, who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
Virually everybody else's ineptness, e.g. McGoldrick passing sideways so badly he gives away a throw in, Bru's free kick that I think was blocked by the wall's legs it was so low.
A strike partnership that wouldn't look threatening in Sunday league football.
The team lack confidence. Most lack effort and commitment.

After 10 minutes, the person sitting next to me said that you could hear the fans chatting to each other. It was a bit like a kids' match where the parents are having a chat on the touchline and occasionally casting an eye towards the match in case something happened. No atmosphere because there was no expectation from the crowd that we would actually do anything worth watching. No thought of being excited or entertained.

MM said that he wanted the fans to get behind the team. And then picks an ultra defensive team with ultra defensive tactics. It reminded me of the Keane era when everyone was so frightened of making a mistake that they er......all made mistakes. I appreciate his midfield options were limited by injury etc, but he could have played a youngster in an attacking role rather than Skuglas. I'm sorry he got injured but if we have to play one them, I'd prefer Douglas over Skuse anyway. But I'd prefer some pace, some vision, some movement off the ball.

At the end of the day, we got a very lucky point. We probably deserved to lose. Wouldn't we have been better off trying to win and losing? At least give the fans something to watch and cheer. I know there's been no money but MM must take a lot of the blame for all this rubbish. I wonder if his departure now would give season ticket sales even a slight boost. Instead I expect he'll go in the Summer and the early bird deadline will be extended / reopened with the expense of a mailshot to all those who cancel.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Good summing up Andy, can't argue with any of it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:32 pm

The sad thing is Andym, McCarthy will pick practically the same type of team again. I'm assuming Skuse will be out but Douglas and Diagouraga most likely.

I.bloody despair!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Andym wrote:I think that was as bad as I can remember.

Team selection was typically defensive and so bloody obviously wrong. As Bluemike said, Douglas did OK - he was probably one of very few Town players to emerge with any credit. But against a team who were going to set up defensively, we did not need Skuse and Douglas. The defence reverted to a back 4 and looked shaky. The midfield "diamond" looked more like a square, with McGoldrick & Ward in front of Skuse and Douglas. So a sort of 4-2-2-2 with no width whatsoever.

Tactics appalling. Can't see how on earth we hoped to score a goal without width or pace.

Most players were dire. Again, Bluemike is correct in criticising Bart for his distribution. Add to that other factors, like:
Skuse (prior to injury) doing his usual impression of a total eclipse, i.e. hiding behind attackers so our defence can't possibly pass to him, matched by most others for their lack of movement off the ball.
Knudsen's distribution, who couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
Virually everybody else's ineptness, e.g. McGoldrick passing sideways so badly he gives away a throw in, Bru's free kick that I think was blocked by the wall's legs it was so low.
A strike partnership that wouldn't look threatening in Sunday league football.
The team lack confidence. Most lack effort and commitment.

After 10 minutes, the person sitting next to me said that you could hear the fans chatting to each other. It was a bit like a kids' match where the parents are having a chat on the touchline and occasionally casting an eye towards the match in case something happened. No atmosphere because there was no expectation from the crowd that we would actually do anything worth watching. No thought of being excited or entertained.

MM said that he wanted the fans to get behind the team. And then picks an ultra defensive team with ultra defensive tactics. It reminded me of the Keane era when everyone was so frightened of making a mistake that they er......all made mistakes. I appreciate his midfield options were limited by injury etc, but he could have played a youngster in an attacking role rather than Skuglas. I'm sorry he got injured but if we have to play one them, I'd prefer Douglas over Skuse anyway. But I'd prefer some pace, some vision, some movement off the ball.

At the end of the day, we got a very lucky point. We probably deserved to lose. Wouldn't we have been better off trying to win and losing? At least give the fans something to watch and cheer. I know there's been no money but MM must take a lot of the blame for all this rubbish. I wonder if his departure now would give season ticket sales even a slight boost. Instead I expect he'll go in the Summer and the early bird deadline will be extended / reopened with the expense of a mailshot to all those who cancel.
Accurate and depressingly familiar summary, Andy. Just when we imagine, given all the pre-match talk and hype, that things couldn't really get much worse; then, inevitably, we're proven wrong, yet again. Scraping along the bottom on all fronts, sadly.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 am

I think MM has 100% made his mind up hes leaving once safe so decided to go back to what he actually wants to do rather than trying to appease fans. I never really believed he wanted to play 3 at the back or wanted to drop Douglas etc. His hand was forced, same with playing Kenlock and Emmanuel, I don't think it was really on his terms. So I think in last couple of weeks (probably half way through Cardiff game) f*ck it I will do this my way and keep us up then I will be off.

That's how it feels to me, he certainly won't be here next season now. Unfortunately Evans/milne will be...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am

charlton837 wrote:I think MM has 100% made his mind up hes leaving once safe so decided to go back to what he actually wants to do rather than trying to appease fans. I never really believed he wanted to play 3 at the back or wanted to drop Douglas etc. His hand was forced, same with playing Kenlock and Emmanuel, I don't think it was really on his terms. So I think in last couple of weeks (probably half way through Cardiff game) f*ck it I will do this my way and keep us up then I will be off.

That's how it feels to me, he certainly won't be here next season now. Unfortunately Evans/milne will be...
Agree totally. In his mind - Skuse / Douglas is his preferred choice. Also the 3 or 5 at the back situation. He's always more comfortable with 4-4-2.

However, injuries forced Chambers to be moved into the centre of defence, giving Kenlock / Emanuell / Spence some opportunities. Also, it meant he could keep Chambers / Berra / Knudsen in the team with a 5 man defence. The fact that Webster is injured means that Chambers has a place in the team. If he wasn't - I would expect Chambers to be shoved back at RB in place of Emanuall / Spence, even though they've proven to be better RB's than Chambers.

This change of system seems half-hearted and forced upon. Mick wants certain players in the team playing a certain way. No point in trying anything new if he's not really wanting to do it. However, it holds back the development of the team, especially young players.

Irony is - MM will now say we're in a position where he needs 'proper' men from now on to grind our way to safety - but these players / tactics are the reason why we're in this position in the first place.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 pm

:roll: And these tactics of utter defence could all go horribly wrong against Wigan, who although losing by very narrow margins, could spring the surprise win they want, all in all I just want to see and end to this season, and I'll bet most fans are, just want to see the back of MM and his team, its a shame we cant recall Benyu from Aldershot, he's banging in the goals for them, has come on leaps and bounds in the National league, so we have a very tough run in, :shock: and might just scrape a win against one of the remaining games ???

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:53 pm

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31452/

The usual MM drivel. I do have sympathy for Douglas; he seems like he gives it all he's got. I'm sure the fans acknowledge that, they just want better players on the pitch... and a better manager on the sidelines. FOXTROT OSCAR MM!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Absolutely spot on regarding the treatment of Douglas, Mick is right on this and so are the players, Grant Ward is the latest to infer it is having an adverse effect on our efforts to get safe, are our fans so f**king stupid that they can't see it, the way they boo at Douglas name is a disgrace and every single one who did it is a ignorant c**t in my opinion, and I don't care if it is aimed at Mick rather than JD you just don't do it, f**king bellends.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:39 pm

I've got a lot of sympathy for Douglas. He's a 35 year old being asked to play in a certain position and he does his best. Never going to be a starring role.

No need for the senseless and vicious abuse.

Stupid thing is.... if people are trying to make a point about Douglas / MM , then it's a big own goal. They are giving rightful ammunition back from MM about the dickheads in the crowd. Just deflects criticism away from MM and he'll redirect that ( reasonably) back at the fans.

I just hope they give the guy a break for chrissake. He doesn't pick the team.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Beneath contempt, and totally embarrassing to be associated with such moronic 'supporters'. If brains were TNT they wouldn't have enough to blow their hats off. (And, please, let nobody trot out the old 'we pay good money so we're entitled' - classic cop out that just confirms the original diagnosis!)

On standby with flak jacket ready!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 pm

I can imagine that Douglas was a decent player in his day. Probably a box to box player. Not the most skilful but full of energy and commitment.

The trouble is that type of player is less effective at 35 when the energy levels and fitness stop.

So why was he one of our best players on Saturday? Because MM played a defensive team totally lacking in imagination, skill and pace. Because the rest are totally lacking in effort or ability or both. No that's unfair. Because they are told to defend as a first option. And a second option. As I've said before I'd prefer to see Douglas start than Skuse. He offers a lot more. Diagouraga might be a better option still. But we only need one.

I should add that fans moan if we pass backwards. They moan if we hoof it. They moan when Bru fails with an attempted 30 yard pass. They'd do well to look and see how few options are available because we don't move and position ourselves so defensively.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:07 pm

I suppose it's down the simple terms "quality". Do we really gave any in the squad? and if do is that quality likely to be playing here next season?

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:I suppose it's down the simple terms "quality". Do we really gave any in the squad? and if do is that quality likely to be playing here next season?
Not a lot. But enough if allowed to play with freedom. And if the youngsters are allowed to play snd develop.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 am

Hopefully we can see all of that next season under new management, though sadly not a new owner.

I've never wanted a season to finish as much as I do this one. McCarthy seems to be getting more and more aggressive towards the fans. A man stumbling over that finish line, in the full knowledge that he has failed...... not that he will view it that way

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Just had time to read through this, and I'm not making excuses for any players........, but, true story........, the guy who does roof work for me plays Banjo in a band. Got to tell you, those thing are quite heavy. I'm not sure I'd be able to hit a barn door with it.