Relegation Run In

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Relegation Run In

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:33 am

Couldn't resist taking a look at the teams below us remaining fixtures, with Rotherham already down it appears to be any Two from Seven of which we are one of them, make your own minds up but for me I think we are only a win and a draw away from almost certain safety.

Wigan - 34 points +7 = 41

Ipswich (A)
Rotherham (H)
Barnsley (H)
Brighton (A)
Cardiff (H)
Reading (A)
Leeds (H)

Blackburn - 40 points + 9 = 49

Reading (A)
Barnsley (H)
Forest (A)
Bristol City (H)
Wolves (A)
Villa (H)
Brentford (A)

Bristol City - 41 points + 10 = 51

Preston (A)
Wolves (H)
QPR (H)
Blackburn (A)
Barnsley (H)
Brighton (A)
Birmingham (H)

Nottingham Forest - 42 points + 7 = 49

Wolves (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Blackburn (H)
Cardiff (A)
Reading (H)
QPR (A)
Ipswich (H)

Burton - 44 points + 6 = 50

Newcastle (A)
Villa (H)
Ipswich (H)
Birmingham (A)
Leeds (H)
Barnsley (A)
Reading (H)

Birmingham - 46 points + 7 = 53

Brighton (A)
Derby (H)
Rotherham (A)
Burton (H)
Villa (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Bristol City (A)

So for me it's Rotherham to be joined by Wigan and either Blackburn or Forest.

Shed on tour

Re: Relegation Run In

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Think that shows how big the game Tuesday night is.
You would think that is our best chance in the remaining games to get a win. I know we still have to play Burton and Forest away and both are currently below us in the table but on current form I would not back us to win at either venue. Even Rotherham away won't be easy especially as they are already down and all pressure will be off them.
As I said in a thread several weeks ago I still think we will survive this season but have real fears for next unless things change considerably in the summer.
Last edited by Shed on tour on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:Think that shows how big the game Tuesday night is.
You would think that is our best chance in the remaining games to get a win. I know we still have to play Burton and Forest away and both are currently below us in the table but on current form I would not back us to win at either venue. Even Rotherham away won't be easy especially as they are already down and all pressure will be off them.
As I said in a thread several weeks ago I still think we will survive this season but have real fears for next unless things change considerably in the summer.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Agree, pretty confident we'll survive. But that will just be the starting point for what needs to follow.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Unfortunately Mike I don't see where we're going to get a win based on current form. Our best chance will be away at Rotherham but only if we can score and keep a clean sheet. None of the top teams have scored more than two goals there so I won't be surprised if we struggle especially with them already relegated and able to play care free football.

Tuesday nights game v Wigan could well decide whether or not we're serious relegation candidates and a win to us should be enough to keep us safe but this will be a far from simple task.

Newcastle United had to fight hard to hold on to a narrow win against them yesterday and they have recently come away from Birmingham City and Wolves with all three points. In fact in their last 5 away games they've taken 6 points (2 wins) and only been beaten by a single goal margin in 3 lost games failing to score only once. In our last five home games Town have taken 5 points with 5 draws and only one clean sheet.

Wigan Away Form last 5 games. (6pts)

Newcastle 2-1 Wigan
Birmingham 0-1 Wigan
Blackburn 1-0 Wigan
QPR 2-1 Wigan
Wolves 0-1 Wigan

Town Home Form last 5 games (5pts)

Town 1-1 Birmingham
Town 0-0 Wolves
Town 1-1 Brentford
Town 1-1 Leeds
Town 2-2 Reading

This form would suggest to me another 1-1 draw is the most likely result which would leave us deep in the sh*t, even worse is the prospect that they could do to us the same as they did at Birmingham and Wolves and come away with a 0-1 win, after all both those teams we could only draw with in our last two home games.

Worrying times ahead I fear.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Fine margins - win, lose or draw. It's going to be MM's team selection, set up and players' belief and desire that tip Tuesday night's margin in our favour. Not to be under-estimated - hopefully midfield changes will give us some realistic hope.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Need to focus on our own endeavors, take care of enough remaining opposition : the rest will fall into place

Taking into consideration all available last games at this club and opposition league status with it :

Wigan Athletic / Home / 4/8

Burton Albion / Away / 4/14

Newcastle United / Home / 4/17

Rotherham / Away / 4/22

Sheffield Wednesday / Home / 4/29

Nottingham Forest / Away / 5/7

Good balance with three home and three away but seriously, this is going to be more difficult than at first glance. Rotherham apart, all other opposition teams have their own objectives be it either promotion or relegation focus and a great many of those teams will be more motivated than ourselves to find victory. McCarthy's intransigent "a point is a good result" bullshit focus has held the club back a great extent but even in the unlikely event of six tied games with what's remaining, even that will allow the club to play Championship level once again.

Of course you got to take potential injury and suspension issues into consideration before end of season, not just for ourselves but all other competing teams and in this league all things have the propensity to occur, but at the end of it all and as others have alluded to, believe we will remain in the league and avert any final concern.

Only then, when the close season is upon us, is where the real actions need to be undertaken.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 pm

We also have Fulham away on Saturday SJ

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:11 pm

I think we will get our win, away from home. We simply can't play at home. Teams will come here to nick a point , although on Tues Wigan really will have to go for it, which should help. But that pillock McCarthy will once again line up ultra defensive. This just makes it edgy for the fans, and the risk of conceding yet another soft goal with our sieve of a back line is high. As was shown against Bru.

I'm hoping our win comes at Rotherham and we get a point at Fulham. If we have to go into the last game of the season at Forest , needing a win, we will be fooked!

McCarthy is his own worst enemy.

Town 46 pts .......+8pts : Total pts 54

Wigan ( H) 1pt
Fulham ( a) 1pt
Burton (a) 1pt
Newcastle ( H) 0pt
Rotherham (a) 3pts
Sheff Wed ( H) 1pt
Forest ( a ) 1pt

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:06 pm

If MM can see past his nose HE MUST play a team that can win.Skudouglas doesn't work get those feckers out of here.It will be toxic with less that 10,000 supporters in the ground against Wigan.Get Sheepie back I would actually trust him as he's a Blue.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Just noticed this thread.

Fulham (a) 0 points
Burton (a) 1 point (at least!!!)
Newcastle (H) 1 point (They're struggling to keep up the pace)
Rotherham (a) 3 points
Sheff Wed (H) 1 point
Forest (a) 0 points. (Forest will hackin and choppin to avoid relegation; mind your shins lads!)

All joking aside, (and I can say this as it won't be read) but SJ's post had me confused. The 4/8 4/12 4/18 thing. Was thinking it was some new form formula I hadn't heard of. Wasn't thinking of the retarded American date reversal thing. Who the f*ck does that on a British site?
Saint, stop making me more retarded than I already am please. Cheers

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 pm

A bit off topic, but interesting none the less. I was perusing the table to see what the goal difference was for teams in our upcoming matches. I noticed there are only 7-teams with a lower GA than us. Is it possible that all we need to be in the play off mix next season is to score more goals? I know it sounds simplistic, but I thought we had more problems than that. Of course the question now is, if MM leaves and takes his defensive dinosaurs with him...will we be starting from scratch again???...(at least defensively).

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:56 pm

number 9 wrote:A bit off topic, but interesting none the less. I was perusing the table to see what the goal difference was for teams in our upcoming matches. I noticed there are only 7-teams with a lower GA than us. Is it possible that all we need to be in the play off mix next season is to score more goals? I know it sounds simplistic, but I thought we had more problems than that. Of course the question now is, if MM leaves and takes his defensive dinosaurs with him...will we be starting from scratch again???...(at least defensively).
I suspect (but haven't checked) that the defensive tactics mean we often concede but rarely 2 or 3. You can turn the argument round and say there are only 4 teams who have scored fewer goals than us. So MM's tactics mean we concede few, and score fewer.

Wigan had conceded fewer than us before last night. That's remarkable seeing how they gifted us all 3 goals. No, we would be higher simply if we attacked more. Or if not higher, a bit more interesting to watch.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 pm

General football chit chat in the relegation thread......, looks like North East order is going to be restored (convincingly) with Sunderland and Middlesbrough looking good for dropping and the Magpies heading up, (Sunderland can whinge all they want, but the Nook are by far the biggest club in that area, by a mile) ........., and so Sunderland and Boro in the Championship next season? Quietly confident the ITFC are going to hold on to Championship status......., and be promoted next season.

Who wants a Budweiser?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 pm

...cheers, I'll have two !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 am

^^^ Hey, you're driving! A wee juice for you ma dear!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:00 am

er, make that an ORANGE juice and I might accept lol :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Ah, the wee Teddy Bear wants an "orange" juice! Absolutely no problem at all sweetie pie. Will I get Mike a Guinness with the 4 leaf clover on top?! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Guinness is far to strong for Mike.....he's into vino now ya know ! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Did I hear my name mentioned !!! Used to drink Guinness all the time, Desperado and wine are the current favourites lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 pm

:mrgreen:

only kidding ya Mike....honest !

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:Guinness is far to strong for Mike.....he's into vino now ya know ! :wink:
It's his age Liz he can't handle the strong stuff from anymore :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Wolves result? Coupon burster
Forest result? Coupon burster
Aston Villa result? Coupon burster
Current Newcastle score? Coupon burster.
Chelsea's third goal from free kick? Rigged.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Promotion run in:

That Sheff Wed result....... kick in the nuts for Norwich and their big win :lol: