Ipswich Town v Wigan Athletic preview and matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An end to the bore draws?

Ipswich Town win
45%
Draw
36%
Wigan Athletic win
18%

Total votes: 11

Tangfastic

Re: Ipswich Town v Wigan Athletic preview and matchday thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 am

I haven't looked on TWTD - but I'm expecting a proven analysis from the usual discussions there that this midfield formation - instead of Skuglas - was the reason we won 3-0.

Not sure that's 100% proven and we could well have won with these players - but there is no reason to be fearful if Skuse is not in the midfield.

Interesting decision for the next game - does MM go with the same team (minus Taylor ) OR bring back Skuse?

I think he'll bring back Skuse, but why not go with same team?

I'm confident we're safe from relegation and we'll learn more about players by sticking with this team. No offence to Skuse - but we won't learn anything new.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:06 pm

tangfastic wrote:I haven't looked on TWTD - but I'm expecting a proven analysis from the usual discussions there that this midfield formation - instead of Skuglas - was the reason we won 3-0.

Not sure that's 100% proven and we could well have won with these players - but there is no reason to be fearful if Skuse is not in the midfield.

Interesting decision for the next game - does MM go with the same team (minus Taylor ) OR bring back Skuse?

I'm confident we're safe from relegation and we'll learn more about players by sticking with this team. No offence to Skuse - but we won't learn anything new.

I agree, I would just go with the same team/shape. But if Lawrence and Skuse are fit they will be in the team ahead of Diagoraga and Sears....

For the record I don't think Skuse is a bad player, but I would now leave him out as I don't think he offers any more than what we had yesterday, in fact he probably offers less. Once we are officially safe I would probably no longer play Lawrence as I would try out some other players/shapes but I guess we need to be mathematically safe before we start doing that

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 pm

charlton837 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:I haven't looked on TWTD - but I'm expecting a proven analysis from the usual discussions there that this midfield formation - instead of Skuglas - was the reason we won 3-0.

I agree, I would just go with the same team/shape. But if Lawrence and Skuse are fit they will be in the team ahead of Diagoraga and Sears....

For the record I don't think Skuse is a bad player, but I would now leave him out as I don't think he offers any more than what we had yesterday, in fact he probably offers less. Once we are officially safe I would probably no longer play Lawrence as I would try out some other players/shapes but I guess we need to be mathematically safe before we start doing that
I'm not even sure I would start Lawrence. He might be our best outfield player this season, but he won't be next season. Plus he's coming back from an injury - and someone will have to drop out for him after a win.

I see Knudsen should be out for the rest of the season - that should give Kenlock some game-time (sorry Jonas :) ). And so should Taylor - that really should be the end of our interest in Taylor. I think we all knew he was injury-prone, but its better to find out for certain now rather than after we've signed him on a 2 year deal.

I would say swap Smith for Taylor and go for the same team. Its hardly a threadbare, inexperienced team full of youngsters. I don't think MM will do that as he has not got an eye on next season and I don't think he'll be here.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:32 pm

In reply to the above two posts, we won because Wigan were awful.

Did the change in midfield make a difference? We certainly looked better but not sure how much it influenced the result.

We won because MM reverted to 5-3-2 but an attack-minded version. The 2 wingbacks meant it was closer to 3-5-2, and the three central midfielders comprised 2 who are attack-minded and in Diaguraga a defensive midfielder who like to push forward with pace, move the ball quickly and try to create. As a result of this, the front 2 pushed forward more. The pressure on the opposition defence meant that they made basic errors, getting caught in possession. All 3 goals came that way so it wasn't the creativity of our midfield, just that we attacked and went at them.

So much more enjoyable to watch. But despite Wigan being very poor indeed, Bart rescued us on several occasions in the second half. And the Wigan keeper's distribution in the first half was so bad it made Bart's look brilliant.

Unfortunately Taylor looks like some predicted - very injury prone. I thought Tommy Smith did well when he came on and was very unlucky not to score in the second half. Spence and Kenlock looked good going forward. Kenlock was particularly impressive in this respect, and made the first goal by winning the ball, taking it forward and calmly passing to McGoldrick who finished coolly. But his (Kenlock's) defending worries me. He is beaten far too easily and was booked for fouling after being beaten. This wasn't a one off, it happens too often and I wouldn't entertain playing him (yet) in a back 4.

I heard Mick Mills saying after the game the midfield weren't great, just ok. I wouldn't disagree but as I said earlier, one defensive and 2 attacking midfielders works well in a 5-3-2 formation, and Diagouraga offers so much more than Skuse; pace, physical strength, movement off the ball, quick forward passing. Skuse is possibly a better defender but I'm not even convinced on that count. Huws has made the biggest difference of all. he shows the same attributes as Diagouraga but with more finesse and n a more attacking role. I'm really surprised - and pleased - we have him on loan, and he would certainly be worth signing if we can.

The strikers worked hard, forcing errors, scoring all 3 goals, so we can hardly complain. It shows what they can do if allowed to get - and stay - forward in a more attacking formation. McGoldrick's first touch let him down a bit last night and was often knocked off the ball, fairly most of the time in the opinion of the referee. Took his goal well, played a neat 1-2 for the second and won the ball for the third before unselfishly playing Sears in. Sears ran tirelessly as always but with the wingbacks getting forward he could do that more effectively last night by staying central rather than going out wide. Took his first goal very well, having won the ball and played a 1-2 he was very calm in a situation where he almost had too much time. Made harder work of his second, needing 2 attempts, but for once luck was on our side and he got the rebound.

Every season I think what a tough division it is, but it really isn't. Wigan may have been very poor, but without Bart they would have made a game of it. But they are one of a number of poor sides in this league. There are few sides who really impress. OK, you might need a better quality team to make the top 6, but we should be capable with the current squad to be at least half way up.

***Just noticed that Wigan had conceded fewer goals than all but 6 teams before last night. That doesn't fit with the shambolic way they gave away goals yesterday. I imagine that's why MM thought he dare attack - they are the lowest scorers in the division.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:11 pm

I think sometimes you have to give credit to us and the way we played, Wigan did make errors at the back but I think much of it was down to how we hurried and hassled them and closed them down quickly. I thinbk it is fair to say that yes Bart did do what he was there to do and saved a couple of possible goals but going on that we should have had five or Six on the night so for me a comfortable win.

I also think Mills is being a bit harsh on the Midfield if I am honest, I thought Huws, Ward and Diagouraga all had good games, not to mention Kenlock & Spence who were for the most part Midfielders and did very well. We can give praise when things are better,l I know it is far from the finished article and One swallow doesnt make a Summer but there were definitley positives for me last night.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Bagging three points was the most important outcome from last night; but praise is due to all concerned in putting in a significantly improved team performance, achieved by MM's positive team selection and set up, and individuals collectively playing their 'A' games. Apart from a period immediately after the restart where, for some reason, we stopped concentrating and gave away a series of silly free kicks, or allowed crosses into our area; and at the death where Bart made one world-class double save to preserve a clean sheet, it was a relatively easy win. As others have said, some genuine cause for optimism - certainly if we could make Big Dave, Spence and EH permanent signings.

Predictably small crowd, but a far less toxic atmosphere. By his recent standards, a sensible and rational post match interview by MM! Funny what effect a win can have on all of us!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm

bluemike wrote:I think sometimes you have to give credit to us and the way we played, Wigan did make errors at the back but I think much of it was down to how we hurried and hassled them and closed them down quickly. I thinbk it is fair to say that yes Bart did do what he was there to do and saved a couple of possible goals but going on that we should have had five or Six on the night so for me a comfortable win.

I also think Mills is being a bit harsh on the Midfield if I am honest, I thought Huws, Ward and Diagouraga all had good games, not to mention Kenlock & Spence who were for the most part Midfielders and did very well. We can give praise when things are better,l I know it is far from the finished article and One swallow doesnt make a Summer but there were definitley positives for me last night.
I agree. The midfield did well and we are always at our bedt when we close down - which needs an attacking midfield.

Surprised to see that we only had 42% possession. And our passing accuracy of 55% must be one of the lowest ever - virtually every other pass going astray.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm

The performance should be bench-marked; and maintained or, preferably, bettered for the remaining few games. But the key must be set up and perform to win, as opposed not to lose.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Appreciated the post there at 3:32pm, AndyM, (wouldn't copy for some reason)...... nice info regarding the formations and putting names to the actual jobs of certain players in those formations, ......., good stuff for us not there to witness.

And I understand completely what you mean in that 2nd from last paragraph, makes complete sense.......... BUT........., it is a wee bit of a tough league, eh?!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 am

herforder wrote:The performance should be bench-marked; and maintained or, preferably, bettered for the remaining few games. But the key must be set up and perform to win, as opposed not to lose.
The team may struggle to make impact when there's games of importance lined up or something worth fighting for, but with just about zero pressure remaining the team could well improve to such an extent we could feasibly p!ay out the rest of season and escape any losses.

Bottom line it will go two ways. Either the side will play as a fluid cohesive unit with games remaining and go out and play now any last dangers have been averted, or what occurred with Wigan Athletic was another "win one, draw or lose four or five thereafter" scenario and the players will revert to type.

As people may realize, whatever occurs from here to last game McCarthy has most likely made the decision to vacate this summer. Best opportunity the manager now possesses is to take the club to as high a finish as possible with what,s remaining. A 15th place finish won't be to everyone's liking, but the unthinkable fall into League One from August has all but been averted.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 am

Andym wrote:In reply to the above two posts, we won because Wigan were awful.

Did the change in midfield make a difference? We certainly looked better but not sure how much it influenced the result.

We won because MM reverted to 5-3-2 but an attack-minded version. The 2 wingbacks meant it was closer to 3-5-2, and the three central midfielders comprised 2 who are attack-minded and in Diaguraga a defensive midfielder who like to push forward with pace, move the ball quickly and try to create. As a result of this, the front 2 pushed forward more. The pressure on the opposition defence meant that they made basic errors, getting caught in possession. All 3 goals came that way so it wasn't the creativity of our midfield, just that we attacked and went at them.

So much more enjoyable to watch. But despite Wigan being very poor indeed, Bart rescued us on several occasions in the second half. And the Wigan keeper's distribution in the first half was so bad it made Bart's look brilliant.

Unfortunately Taylor looks like some predicted - very injury prone. I thought Tommy Smith did well when he came on and was very unlucky not to score in the second half. Spence and Kenlock looked good going forward. Kenlock was particularly impressive in this respect, and made the first goal by winning the ball, taking it forward and calmly passing to McGoldrick who finished coolly. But his (Kenlock's) defending worries me. He is beaten far too easily and was booked for fouling after being beaten. This wasn't a one off, it happens too often and I wouldn't entertain playing him (yet) in a back 4.

I heard Mick Mills saying after the game the midfield weren't great, just ok. I wouldn't disagree but as I said earlier, one defensive and 2 attacking midfielders works well in a 5-3-2 formation, and Diagouraga offers so much more than Skuse; pace, physical strength, movement off the ball, quick forward passing. Skuse is possibly a better defender but I'm not even convinced on that count. Huws has made the biggest difference of all. he shows the same attributes as Diagouraga but with more finesse and n a more attacking role. I'm really surprised - and pleased - we have him on loan, and he would certainly be worth signing if we can.

The strikers worked hard, forcing errors, scoring all 3 goals, so we can hardly complain. It shows what they can do if allowed to get - and stay - forward in a more attacking formation. McGoldrick's first touch let him down a bit last night and was often knocked off the ball, fairly most of the time in the opinion of the referee. Took his goal well, played a neat 1-2 for the second and won the ball for the third before unselfishly playing Sears in. Sears ran tirelessly as always but with the wingbacks getting forward he could do that more effectively last night by staying central rather than going out wide. Took his first goal very well, having won the ball and played a 1-2 he was very calm in a situation where he almost had too much time. Made harder work of his second, needing 2 attempts, but for once luck was on our side and he got the rebound.

Every season I think what a tough division it is, but it really isn't. Wigan may have been very poor, but without Bart they would have made a game of it. But they are one of a number of poor sides in this league. There are few sides who really impress. OK, you might need a better quality team to make the top 6, but we should be capable with the current squad to be at least half way up.

***Just noticed that Wigan had conceded fewer goals than all but 6 teams before last night. That doesn't fit with the shambolic way they gave away goals yesterday. I imagine that's why MM thought he dare attack - they are the lowest scorers in the division.
Good to hear your comments and report which, although slightly contrasting with Mike's, makes good reading. On your comments about Kenlock and his weakness in defence - I'm sure you will get natural defenders, but I've always felt its probably easier to teach defensive skills / positional sense than attacking skills. He's relatively inexperienced and with the right coaching / advice, there's the potential to improve on his defence.

It's just a reluctance from MM to give these kids a go over a reasonable period to see if they can sharpen up and improve. At least with Knudsen out - I guess that gives Kenlock game-time.

Another nod towards Emanuell - he's now out of the squad and not sure when he'll be given a chance. Good thing is - Spence is keeping him out and that's based on form, rather than Chambers keeping Emanuell out because Mick couldn't drop Chambers.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for this report Andy, i always enjoy reading Bluemike and Machs report but it's really nice to get a fresh view on things especially given we all see things differently.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:34 pm

marko69 wrote:Appreciated the post there at 3:32pm, AndyM, (wouldn't copy for some reason)...... nice info regarding the formations and putting names to the actual jobs of certain players in those formations, ......., good stuff for us not there to witness.

And I understand completely what you mean in that 2nd from last paragraph, makes complete sense.......... BUT........., it is a wee bit of a tough league, eh?!
Hey Marko: what about the result of Hoops 1 Jags 1 the jag boys are clicking into gear now,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Thanks for this report Andy, i always enjoy reading Bluemike and Machs report but it's really nice to get a fresh view on things especially given we all see things differently.
Same here, Andy has a good understanding of the game for sure and I love comparing how I saw things to others views as the bloody press talk bollocks for the most part.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 pm

bluemike wrote: Same here, Andy has a good understanding of the game for sure and I love comparing how I saw things to others views as the bloody press talk bollocks for the most part.
I think we (you, Mach & I) see it pretty well the same. Slight differences for sure, and I tend to focus on those differences otherwise I'd just be repeating your reports. But mostly we are of one opinion.