Burton v Town on Good Friday....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Burton v Town on Good Friday....

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 am

I'm trying to muster up the enthusiasm to go to this game which I believe has a 19.45 kick off, it's only 30 mins from home and I feel I must make the effort after supporting our club for almost 60yrs.

Are there any other Tractor Boys heading up to this match, maybe a pre match pint ?..... I think I need an extra incentive!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Burton v Town on Good Friday....

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:18 am

Yes Andy do it !!! Hallam, myself and another friend are driving up so would be good to meet up pre game for a beer.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 am

See you there. I'm going to Burton on Friday, I'll see if I can sort out a pub to meet. I'm sure they'll be some good ones in a Brewery Town!

Looking forward to catching up again.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 am

Will be there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Great stuff.....find that pub !!!! Shed can make it there too with luck.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:57 pm

bluemike wrote:Great stuff.....find that pub !!!! Shed can make it there too with luck.
Yep should be able to make it. Got a car parking pass at the ground so will get there early and park up and then come to the pub.

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm driving up too let me know where we are meeting

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Nice on Trev, the more the merrier.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 am

Charney, any info on suitable parking , road name, post code etc would be very much appreciated munchkin, thanks :wink:

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:Charney, any info on suitable parking , road name, post code etc would be very much appreciated munchkin, thanks :wink:
Are you driving Liz??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm

She probably is, Trev. Just take your own car mate! The game will be scary enough! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:07 pm

marko69 wrote:She probably is, Trev. Just take your own car mate! The game will be scary enough! :D

Cheeky git lol......Yes Trev I AM driving but have a car full I'm afraid.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:46 pm

I'll try to check this out on Friday....

Where to Park?

There is a large, reasonably priced car park at the ground, with spaces for 400 vehicles. Overflow parking is provided in the Rynkild Trading Estate, which can be reached by taking the 1st exit from the roundabout leading to Princess Way. Otherwise, there is plenty of street parking near the ground.

Away Friendly Pubs near the Pirelli Stadium

The nearest recommended away friendly pub is the Beech Inn which is situated on the busy Derby Road between Pirelli and McDonalds, just a 10-minute walk from the ground. This pub has a bar on the front, a smaller lounge at the rear and a beer garden. It also serves reportedly decent food.

The town centre has plenty of pubs including a Wetherspoon’s The Lord Burton which has good food for a decent price and offers free WiFi. Nearer the ground is the choice of the Great Northern Inn on Wetmore Road – from the ground, walk down Princess Way towards the roundabout at the junction with Derby Road. Go straight over the roundabout (2nd on your left) and cross over the older of the two railway bridges. Take the first road on your right and it’s just on your right hand side. Another favourite is the Beech Inn on Derby Road which you'll pass on the walk from the station. It has a good size car park and allows children in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Just found this pub guide....

The nearest pub is probably the 'The Beech Inn' which is around a ten minute walk, up the A5121 Derby Road (going in the opposite direction to Burton town centre) on the left. Further on past the Beech pub on the same side of the road is a McDonalds outlet. Otherwise there is the Great Northern pub, which serves Burton Bridge Beers, along with a guest ale. This pub is located on Wetmore Road, which leads off the roundabout near to the stadium entrance, go up and over the railway bridge and the pub is on the left. If you particularly like your real ale then just under a half a mile away from the stadium is the Burton Town Brewery. Situated in a small industrial unit in Falcon Close (off Hawkins Lane, which itself also runs off the main roundabout by the ground), it opens its doors before matches and has available real and craft ales, lagers, cider and wine. Also in the area is the fabulous Tower Brewery on Glensyl Way. Featuring a cosy snug room it also has a large function area that looks out onto the brewing vessels. However it is not always open before matches so check with them first via their website.

Near to the railway station are the Roebuck, Devonshire, the Last Heretic micropub and the Cooper's Tavern which are all recommended, If you walk from the station to the ground, you will pass the Albert Ale House on your left which also serves well kept Burton Bridge Beers. Alcohol is also served within the stadium, with away fans being 'treated' to their own little inside bar/refreshment area. Beer costs £4 a pint.

Fuggle & Nugget Micropub SignThe Fuggle & Nugget is a popular micropub located on the High Street. The pub which welcomes visiting supporters, normally offers 3 or 4 real ales, which are served straight from the cask. In addition there are real ciders, wine, spirits, Samuel Smith Organic bottled fruit beers and Samuel Smith Organic bottled lager..Plus snacks are available such as organic pork pies, scotch eggs, cheese boards, and vegetarian pies. The pub is around a 15 minute walk away from the Pirelli Stadium and Burton Railway Station (come out of the station and turn right. Follow the road until the very end where you turn left onto the High Street. The micropub is along the High Street on the left). Opens: From 12 noon on Saturdays. Address: 81 High Street, Burton-upon-Trent DE14 1LD (Location Map) Telephone: 07805526322. Twitter: @the_fuggle, Facebook Page.

Alex Winter a visiting Cheltenham Town fan adds; 'In the town centre just off the end of the High Street is the Burton Bridge Inn. Not only does it serve the excellent Burton Bridge Beers (the pub is also known as the Brewery Tap for the nearby Burton Bridge Brewery) but great pub grub too.' Also not far away on the High Street is a micropub called the Fuggle & Nugget (see above).

Terry Doran a visiting Oldham Athletic supporter adds; 'When in Burton-on-Trent, described by Molson Coors as the “Global Brewing Capital”, it is worth while allowing time to visit a few of the local pubs before and/or after the match to sample the town‘s brewing delights:

If arriving at Burton Railway Station, then turn right for the Roebuck (Burton Ale House) which has a good selection of beers plus televised sports. Continue heading down the right-hand side of Station Street to the Last Heretic micropub and then onto the Devonshire Arms on the corner of Milton Street. The ‘Devvie’ has a large range of Burton Bridge beers, guest ales and an extensive food menu. Also has a range of continental bottled beers as well as traditional fruit wines.

Turn right into Milton Street, cross over and you will see a narrow entry to the Cooper’s Tavern. This gem of a pub is pretty unique, with an interior unchanged since the 19th Century. A small bar and lounge with beers poured straight from the barrel in the cosy back bar. Very friendly local with good value food.

Retracing your route back to the railway station, continue past it and cross over, turning right into Derby Street, which eventually becomes Derby Road and leads direct to the Pirelli Stadium. Along Derby Street on your left is the Alfred Ale House which serves Burton Bridge beers with at least one guest ale and has an extensive food menu.

At the roundabout in front of the Pirelli stadium turn right and walk for two minutes over the railway to the Great Northern on the left in Wetmore Road. Burton Bridge beers and a guest ale are served, along with the usual keg beers associated with Burton-on-Trent. The pub has a big screen showing Sky Sports.

Returning to the roundabout and heading past the stadium along the busy Derby Road you come to the Beech pub on your left between the Pirelli factory and McDonald’s. This is a Marston’s local with a bar on the front, a smaller lounge at the rear and a beer garden.

Continuing along Derby Road going away from the stadium and turning left at Ian Shipton Cars you come to The Mill House, part of a national chain of family bar/restaurants and situated by the canal between Stretton church and Derby Road. It is at least a 10 minute walk from the ground (one minute in the car) and is very handy for people approaching from the A38 - just turn right at the island by Ian Shipton Cars. The food is good, but not cheap, and beers include Bass, Marston’s and Theakston‘s. Children welcome with both indoor and outdoor play areas'.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Bloody hell Andy, that is in depth, thanks for that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Cheers Andy
......reving the engine up as I type. All ready and raring to go.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Should have kept it to a one liner and said... "see you in The Beech Inn" ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Are you guys standing or sitting on Friday?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Standing ? You ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Sitting in the bar hopefully!

nah, I'm standing......

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm hoping to pay at the gate and standing suits me fine.

I've been on Burton Albion website but can't find much info .... I'll take another look in the morning

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Andy, check your voice mail, left you a message earlier this evening

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Cheers Mike... see you in the pub.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am

Yes mate, The Beech Inn. By the way according to their website you cannot pay on the turnstiles.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Town have returned 400 tickets which can be purchased at the ticket office before kick off.
Parking available at the ground on a first come first served basis for £5.