Mick Still Here Next Season?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Mick Still Here Next Season?

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 am

charlton837 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:25,684 was indeed a great crowd and clearly the team responded.

Take it from me, after that performance you can pretty much guarantee Micks job will be safe at Portman Road at least until Christmas 2027. I just hope Marcus Evans can see the importance of trying to hold onto the likes of Tom Lawrence and Emyr Huws or find equally as good replacements.

Maybe even Mick will see how much more this team can achieve given the freedom to go forward, but don't under estimate how important David McGoldrick is to the team and his return to fitness and form has probably been quite significant. Had we had a fit David McGoldrick all season I think we'd have probably been in a much better position and maybe knocking on the door of the play offs.
to be fair Mcgoldrick has played 36 games this season (6 as a sub). Hes hardly been out for the season so I don't think having him playing is the magic key. When on form I agree he is a very good player at this level, but like a lot of the team this year he has been hit and miss at times.

You make a good point, but I don't think he was much of an asset at the start of the season cos he played like he didn't want to be here, whereas more recently he appears to be completely engaged and looks a class act. Maybe he's looking for a move in the next transfer window but I hope not. He seems to also enjoy having Lawrence and Huws around him.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I think Didzy is just putting himself in the shop window. I'm sure he doesn't want to see ITFC relegated, but he probably realizes there's a better payoff some where else.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 pm

If we get a decent offer for Didzy .... then go with it.

He's 30 and injury-prone. He obviously won't mind the chance of a last big contract.

What would be bad is what happened with Murphy. Last minute transfer and no adequate replacement.

If he stays then hope he can stay injury-free, because he's a real asset to the side if he can be in the side week in, week out. That's the biggest thing... can he put in 35- 40 games a season on top form?

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Unless we can replace him with someone of at least the same standard, or better, then we should probably hold on to him. His injury record may well put off potential bidders.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 pm

I don't think McGoldrick will be here next season. I'm thinking he'll be off to someone like Forest ( again). If he did stay with us, I seriously doubt he would play more than 10 games without another injury.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:I don't think McGoldrick will be here next season. I'm thinking he'll be off to someone like Forest ( again). If he did stay with us, I seriously doubt he would play more than 10 games without another injury.

Maybe that's why he's playing so well at the moment Liz, putting himself in the shop window.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 am

Some strange comments on here for me. He's played around 30-40 games this season without injury so the most recent evidence indicates that he is not necessarily prone to injury or maybe that the physios have worked with him to toughen him up. Do I remember correctly that in previous seasons when he was struggling with injury he had a tendency to get injured before he was properly hardened up after recovering from previous ones.

If he's performing well and putting in a 30-40 game shift why on earth would we want him to move on?

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:08 am

Not sure how much time is left on his existing contract; but unless a seriously good bid came in, or the player made it clear he wanted away and his performances were reflecting that desire, then the club would surely want to hold on to its best outfield player. Of course his injury record is a factor, and he's been very unlucky, but when fully fit, mentally right and enjoying his work, as shown by his outstanding performance on Monday, then we would be mad to let him go!

(Unless of course we used any income from his sale to get Lawrence in - that's the standard we should be talking about). However, ME's record on reinvestment is not great.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 am

I had a quick scan through TWTD fixture tab - and it shows the players who've lined up in all the fixtures until now.

For the starting line up - I can only count 24 times Didsy (number 10) has been in the starting lineup this season. Didn't bother to look at him being involved on the subs bench. Could be in those 24 games they were cup games, but we're hardly a cup team anyway. Would not say he's been readily available all season - and this is a reasonable Didsy fitness season. Point is .... he isn't someone we can rely on to be in the starting line-up. Get the impression he really needs a run of games to get firing on all cylinders as well.

Maybe our form hinges around McGoldrick - but in that case we should have worked out by now that he can't rely on his fitness.

Love him to be here (fit and on form), but that's a big if.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

I day not think we can trust McGoldrick to stay fit enough to rely on him being a pivotal part of the team. It's too big a risk and I feel we should be looking for a similar player to take on that role, because there will be out there, somewhere!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm

If I knew he was going to stay fit I would 100% keep him, never used to rate him but the guy has been superb of late.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 am

McGoldrick could be like McCarthy himself. Apart the obvious same letter connection, they both are subject to ridicule and castigation for 95 per cent of the season, only to suddenly redeem themselves on rare occasion when the team finds a result someplace, or there's a clear improvement albeit however shortlived.

Look I'm not out to put bad words on the player, but the fact of the matter being he's been largely ineffectual for too long now. Of course you got to take into consideration any time on the inactive roster but when even "fit" and available he's been far from productive and have often wondered what the f*ck he's doing in a starting line-up or even available from bench selection.

Not to single out any one name as it's not only David McGoldrick who has underperformed for us in recent time. Sears, Pitman, to name but two have seriously underachieved this season alone and the club has suffered as a direct result of it. Then you got other attacking names who have been equally ineffective and it's no wonder we find ourselves where we are at this point in time. Not asking for a Puskas or a damn William Dean, only a center forward that is reliable and can find goal at such a regularity that it will at least provide the club with an opportunity to achieve something.

Marcus Evans if you can read this (rest assured you won't be so theoretically I could submit any content your way without fear of reprisal) - make some $*$% money available so adequate purchases can be obtained.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 am

saint jude wrote:McGoldrick could be like McCarthy himself. Apart the obvious same letter connection, they both are subject to ridicule and castigation for 95 per cent of the season, only to suddenly redeem themselves on rare occasion when the team finds a result someplace, or there's a clear improvement albeit however shortlived.

Look I'm not out to put bad words on the player, but the fact of the matter being he's been largely ineffectual for too long now. Of course you got to take into consideration any time on the inactive roster but when even "fit" and available he's been far from productive and have often wondered what the f*ck he's doing in a starting line-up or even available from bench selection.

Not to single out any one name as it's not only David McGoldrick who has underperformed for us in recent time. Sears, Pitman, to name but two have seriously underachieved this season alone and the club has suffered as a direct result of it. Then you got other attacking names who have been equally ineffective and it's no wonder we find ourselves where we are at this point in time. Not asking for a Puskas or a damn William Dean, only a center forward that is reliable and can find goal at such a regularity that it will at least provide the club with an opportunity to achieve something.

Marcus Evans if you can read this (rest assured you won't be so theoretically I could submit any content your way without fear of reprisal) - make some $*$% money available so adequate purchases can be obtained.
Bit harsh on McGoldrick in my opinion. Whilst he has had some poor games this season I would say in 2nd half of season I've seen him have more good than bad. In last couple of months he has looked somewhere near his best, if he added more goals then couldn't really complain. He has always been coming back from injury in last few seasons, I cross my fingers that he can now maintain fitness and go into next season flying from the start he's certainly capable of it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 pm

SJ that is pure nonsense, trust me I am far from Didsy's biggest fan, it fact I once said he would never play for us agaion, but at his best he leaves anyone else in the squad standing and the last 3 months or so he has got better and better to the point where the lasat few games he has been outstanding, it's not just an odd game at the end of the season.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:22 pm

bluemike wrote:SJ that is pure nonsense, trust me I am far from Didsy's biggest fan, it fact I once said he would never play for us agaion, but at his best he leaves anyone else in the squad standing and the last 3 months or so he has got better and better to the point where the lasat few games he has been outstanding, it's not just an odd game at the end of the season.
Well done on responding - I couldn't muster the energy! :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

herforder wrote:
bluemike wrote:SJ that is pure nonsense, trust me I am far from Didsy's biggest fan, it fact I once said he would never play for us agaion, but at his best he leaves anyone else in the squad standing and the last 3 months or so he has got better and better to the point where the lasat few games he has been outstanding, it's not just an odd game at the end of the season.
Well done on responding - I couldn't muster the energy! :wink:
Classic lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Going back to the title of this topic, 'Mick Still Here Next Season?'.

Well I for one seriously hope not. When I look back to some of ITFC's previous managers and think of the issues they had and the way they dealt with them, I realise what an unpleasant man MM is. Putting aside his managerial skills (or lack of them) for the moment, I think the way he has spoken about fans, the majority of them long-standing, is disgraceful. To think that he can speak as he does and then expect loyalty, is beyond belief. He says he is still ambitious and wants to manage in the Premiership again. What bollocks, he is hardly boosting his cv at Ipswich, is he. I think he is quite happy bumbling along in his inept way slowly dragging the club downwards. Some people blame the owner, perhaps with justification, but the way MM has shown his true character this season shows to me what a nasty piece of work he is. I feel a different manager would probably have handled the situation very differently.

As far as his footballing managerial skills go, I think they are very questionable in this modern era. As someone else said, he is yesterdays man and incapable of changing his defensive attitude for any period of time and this has shown in the way this season has progressed. He seems incapable of accepting that change of tactics, formations, etc need reviewing rather than always reverting to his 'dornt get beat' attitude.

Unfortunately, it looks as if he is staying. So get set for another dismal gloomy and depressing season. As i said at the start of this and last season, ITFC will never gain promotion under MM.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Question:
Let's say MM departs. And let's say Mevans keeps his wallet closed. Who could get ITFC promoted?

Just trying to think of someone after your last comment, Billy about ITFC never being promoted with McAffy. Who'd get them up?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Absolutely nobody with that pathetic budget, not defending MM just stating a fact.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I agree the budget issue is big one, but I am sure there is another manager out there who is capable of at least maintaining the status quo without alienating fans as MM has done whilst playing a type of football that is more entertaining.

What's that old saying? 'Churchyards are full of indispensible people.'

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 pm

barmy billy wrote:I agree the budget issue is big one, but I am sure there is another manager out there who is capable of at least maintaining the status quo without alienating fans as MM has done whilst playing a type of football that is more entertaining.

What's that old saying? 'Churchyards are full of indispensible people.'

Franco Zola has just become available Barmy, suddenly MM looks good eh, :wink:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

:roll: Joe Royal had little or no budget to work with, BUT at least he got us into two Playoffs, so who would replace MM, BF Joe that's who, he has the countless contacts and is well respected in the football world.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 am

Nice cartoon strip there, Wolfie......, liked that. :lol:

Ash....... in today's football financial terms, (in my opinion) Joe Royal was fkn yonks ago. In Igors words, "The rates have gone up!" (Young Frankenstein)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:09 am

ashfordblue wrote::roll: Joe Royal had little or no budget to work with, BUT at least he got us into two Playoffs, so who would replace MM, BF Joe that's who, he has the countless contacts and is well respected in the football world.
Not like with like, when Joe came at least he had some decent players and the parachute payments are light years ahead of what they were then, in fact I don't think they existed at all, totally different playing field.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Anyone know if Richard Branson is a Town fan?? now that is someone I would like to see buy us, minted with a good business head.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Bernie Ecclestone lived in Bungay ad is loaded apparently!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 pm

If I lived in Bungay I'd probably be pi**ed most of the time too!

(Only joking good folks of that parish :D )

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Bungay? Sounds like it should be in India. Where the hell is Bungay?

verulam

Post by verulam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 pm

marko69 wrote:Bungay? Sounds like it should be in India. Where the hell is Bungay?
Just to the west of Beccles and not that far from Toft Monks, Kirby Cane, Nogdam End and Framingham Pigot................if that helps!