Fulham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Craven for back to back Wins?

Fulham Win
58%
Ipswich Win
17%
A Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

hallamblue

Re: Fulham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Magicmark wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Every cloud.... at least Fulham getting 3 points means it keeps Norwich away from 6th spot.
The budgies are cherping away around here in the Norfolk pubs..i had to point out even if they'd won 50 -0 they are still playing in the Championship next season..well guess mathmaticly they still have a chance..

What time are they having their open bus parade for winning a game, Magic?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Glorious day weather wise. 2500 Town fans in a buoyant attitude before the game despite the dismal season we've been having.

First 10 minutes relatively 50/50. McGoldrick the only Town player absorbing their defence. Fulham were getting better as the game grew and my impression was that the goal(s) were the matter of time. The way they passed the ball, off the ball movement, you'd love us to play like that. The biggest threat would come from Fredericks on their right side as Kenlock has certainly had the worst ever performance for Town so far. Knudsen would have been heavily berated by people for that.
Fredericks had too much time with the ball without being challenged and he along with Aluko had created that opportunity after which Fulham took the lead.
Nothing changed from Town aftewards. We continued sideways passing with no real clue how to create opportunities. Massive gap between both teams in that aspect. Add to this constant hoofing from our defence towards strikers.

Sears wasted very good opportunity as he struck the side-netting when one on one after half an hour.

Fulham went 2 up shortly after they embarrassed our defenders with the way they scored the goal and carried out their corner.

We were abhorrent. I can tolerate that the opponent is better but I hate lack of passion, lack of fighting spirit and that was the case. Ipswich players weren't even screaming at each other. Fulham could have had a field day in the first half. McCarthy was equally infuriating as the team's attitude. He sat on the bench, sometimes stood near the bench. He plainly didn't give a sh1t. Different manager would have been at the touchline shouting at the players, motivating them. He wasn't arsed at all.

Half time couldn't come quick enough. It looked like a pre-season game as Fulham never sensed real threat from the very poor, passionless Ipswich team. McGoldrick could have easily scored though against run of play but he failed to find the target from 12 yards.

We switched to 4-4-2 after the break and Lawrence's introduction made a difference. In the first 15 minutes we had four really opportunities to score but if someone is going to tell me that we improved in the second half I will disagree. Fulham merely took the foot off the gas and were very open and vulnerable at the back. Out of these four chances that one missed by Sears was unforgivable and inexplicable. McGoldrick would work really hard to set him up and simple shot from 10 yards was a formality. Unfortunately Sears hit the ball straight at Bettinelli. Give it to Ellington and he would have scored, so would Bajner, so would Jonas Axeldal or Samassi Abou. Anyone.

Soon after Fulham scored third. Their first real chance in the first half. They only needed one whereas we had wasted four.

The game was well over. If Fulham had really wanted they could have scored 5 or 6.

Town support were voicing their anger at McCarthy and Evans though it was a bit subdued in my opinion as only 20-25% of people made their feelings known. There was also a scuffle between group of Town fans from the bottom rows and stewards but don't know what the reason was.

The consolation goal from Berra couldn't change the mood. Good glorious day spoilt by football. Same old, same old during McCarthy's tenure and Evans' era.

Positives today? Practically none. McGoldrick and Diagouraga are the only players who deserve credit for their display. The latter would work tirelessly in the middle, did his DM duties rather OK.

Sears was a major disappointment. Yes McCarthy using him as a 'winger' last season was a major contribution of his downfall but that can't be used as an excuse for the two glorious opportunities he missed today. I'm struggling to continue with my defence of him. He looks like a player released from West Ham rather than reinvigorated by Colchester.

Our three centre backs. Three experienced Championship defenders who struggled to cope with Fulham forwards particularly in the first half. Easily sussed out. Far from being reliable today.

Huws has also had very quiet afternoon and the day to forget. We had a strong bench though. Why didn't Lawrence and Williams start? If they are fit enough to make match day 18 they ought to have started the game as they would have offered a threat.

My personal feelings? I'm not even pissed off with the result as I fully expected that. We are a very poor Championship side who will avoid relegation only because there are 3 even poorer teams than us so any points against impressive and improved Fulham outfit would have been a bonus. I'm just sad and downbeat with the way things go on. The life support machine will keep us in this league for one or two more years before we go into the oblivion in the lower leagues unless things change. We've been talking about Huddersfield about the changes they have made. Fulham is also a good example what can be done with the major overhaul. When Jokanovic was taking over 2 years ago following awful managerial tenuries (Magath, Symons) he said he wasn't a David Copperfield and he needed a time. 2 years passed and his new philosophy has been injected into this team. Not everything is perfect as they are shaky at the back but they keep improving and if they miss out on top 6 they should reach that target next season.
Moreover not so long ago there were two available managers in Warburton and Rowett but that disinterested worm Evans prefers to stick with the ignorant, self-obsessed McCarthy who himself doesn't improve us at all.
I wonder what is being done on the training sessions. The team is brimmed with the defensive philosophy, they keep hoofing the ball. Same old, same old whereas other clubs improve or make some actions in order to improve them.

As I've said glorious day spoilt by football and end of this season cannot come quick enough.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for the report MPB...we certainly need the reset button pushed; whether it's manager, financial, or both remains to be seen.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 am

hallamblue wrote:
Magicmark wrote:
tangfastic wrote:Every cloud.... at least Fulham getting 3 points means it keeps Norwich away from 6th spot.
The budgies are cherping away around here in the Norfolk pubs..i had to point out even if they'd won 50 -0 they are still playing in the Championship next season..well guess mathmaticly they still have a chance..

What time are they having their open bus parade for winning a game, Magic?
Can't see them getting the bus out..apparently ive heard their season ticket prices are going up to..so maybe they are all moaning aswell.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 am

Caption Comp: Do you know I think my Catheters got a hole in it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 am

A really enjoyable day only spoilt at the end by the football I suppose lol. Perfect conditions, a glorious day, a decent looking starting Eleven, over 2500 Town fans behind the goal, and on the back of a good win Tuesday night, what could possibly go wrong. Well quite smply we were up against a team who are considerably better than us in most departments. We actually started ok and looked quite comfortable but a game lasts 90 minutes not 15. Bart was called into action early doors but saved well following a corner, and was equal to the task again a couple of minutes later. Didsy had the first sight of goal for Town but his weak shot never troubled the keeper. It wasn't long before the gulf in quality started to show as Fulham pinged the ball around nicely while we were just chasing shadows for the most part. Chris Martin should have doewn better when he got in behind the defence but fluffed his effort. Fulham did get in front not long after, again Martin forcing a save from Bart who could only push it back into play and there was Ayite to fire it home, after a pretty even start Fulham had got themselves on top and it was no more than their crisp passing deserved.

Town tried to get forward more following the goal and it was evident to me that this Fulham defence were looking quite shaky at times, Bart did his best to gift them a second with one of his customary woeful kicks but Diagouraga cleaned up the danger. Town had their best chance of the game so far soon after as Didsy played in Sears but the shot shy striker lacked composure and found the side netting when he should have done better. It was a miss that was going to prove costly as almost immediately we fell Two behind, this time a super move down our Right saw Fulham string together some lovely passes which just pulled us apart at ease and the finish left Bart stranded. It was all Fulham as HT approached and the whistle couldn't come quick enough, although with the last action of the half we really should have got back into it, Didsy this time at fault, missing a gilt edge chance following good work from Kenlock & Spence, I didn't see it at the time but apparently he hit the post when he really should have scored, that goes in and maybe a different game after the break.

Having been second best for much of the half Town switched to 4-4-2 with Lawrence on for Smith who it has to be said hardly won a header or tackle all afternoon. It was a move which was to see Town put in a much improved secon d 45, yes Fulham may have felt comfortable and as such take their foot of the gas a bit but we created several chances, good chances too, as is oiften the case however we fail to convert them. The half was only seconds old when Kenlock sent in another good ball and Sears just failed to connect, a stronger touch and it would surely have been a goal, at the other Bart pulled off a super save to tip one over the bar before Town had what was to be their best chance of the game, Didsy did all the work by evading several challenges as his run pulled players out of position before crossing for Sears who had the easiest of chances to score but contrived to fire it straight at the advancing keeper, a easier chance you couldnt wish for but this is a striker who needs 20 years to get over being played out of position for a while so bless him we forgive him yet another f**king miss.

Town were actually creating chance after chance and this time Sears crossed for Didsy but it was too far in front of him and another one went begging. Fulham were looking very dangerous on the break however and following yet another McGoldrick effort they broke away and scored a Third which killed any lingering hope we may have had, a quick break and clinical finsih put our woeful finishing to shame, that was the difference. Chances were coming at both ends with Ayite for Fulham and then Ward for Town, ward had improved the longer the game went on, his shot taking a deflection which looped over the keeper and just cleared the bar. Finall we got a crumb of comfort in injury time as berra rose to head home a freekick, it was way too little too late but made it a slightly more respectable scoreline.

I expected nothing yesterday and in truth it panned out pretty much as I thought it would, Fulham had been the best side I had seen at PR this season and while they were anything but that yesterday they were still way to astute for us, that said the signs were there early doors that their defence was iffy and so it proved, having switched to 4-4-2 we created numerous second half chances and should ahve scored Three times, they too could well have had a couple more goals. In contrast to the Wigan game our Wing backs failed to get forward to any degree and were pushed back, Kenlock had a tough time but did get a couple of good crosses in while Spence was not an attacking force at all on this occasion. Sears & Didsy fluffed most of the chances between them and while Didsy was unlucky sears was just poor again for me, getting bored of him now. Chambo & Berra did nothing special while Huws was very quiet in Midfield while Diagouraga did ok for me without creating too much offensively. Ward improved as the game went on and did ok, the team looked far better with Lawrence on the pitch and several chances came our way.

Bart (6) Spence (5) Chambo (6) Berra (6) Smith (5) Kenlock (5) Ward (6) Diagouraga (6) Huws (5) Sears (5) Didsy (6)

SUBS :- Lawrence (6) Samuel (5) Pitman (5)

With games coming up at Burton, Rotherham and Forest I think we have a genuine chance of points on the road, this was never going to be easy and so it proved, a poor first half but much improved after the break, did Fulham take foot off the pedal well who knows but we can't control what they do and they neearly paid for it, had either of the Two chances gone in a minute either side of the break they would have been on the back foot as we definitely created more than them second half, that said they are a much better footballing side than us. Disappointing to see Mick sitting on his arse in the dugout for the most part, as mach says does he care anymore ? The body language would suggest maybe not, time will tell. Great day out with AylesburyBlue, HallamBlue and Mach amongst others, that is always the highlight for me whatever the football comes up with. Next up Burton, COYB'S.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Post match caption:

Dutch take-over consortium go undercover at Fulham and fail to blend in miserably.

Cloggie #1: " De star player, Skuglas, not playing today?

Cloggie #2: "don't think so... Think he's Norwegian or Swedish or something" .

Cloggie # 1: " this is sh*t ... this won't be easy, but Steeevee McClarens on board so we've got a chance".

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:59 pm

And another post match one:

Younger guy: "Have to feel sorry for those poor Ipswich sods, their manager's clueless. Pass the flask.

Older guy: "Here you go - still a wee drop left"

Younger guy: "NOT that one"!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 am

Mach's and Bluemike's reports are very similar, highlighting the problems we face. Those reports - alongside Radio Suffolk's glorious coverage - imply what I had said previously, that Kenlock is better going forward than he is defensively.

Mick Mills kept on about the 5 defenders being a problem as Fulham attacked wide with only one in the centre, making our use of 3 centre backs redundant. I'm not sure I agree; if we at getting overrun in wide areas, surely then Kenlock & Smith play on the left and Spence & Chambers defend the right. The change in system at half time obviously helped but the back line should be versatile enough to adjust, particularly as the 3 central defenders are all experienced.

I still remember when we played Fulham at home early in the season following their relegation, in 2014. we were 2 - 0 up and sat back. allowing Fulham to pull one back and a tense finish. They had no cutting edge but passed the ball so well. They have maintained that approach but added some goal threat to it - at the expense of being able to defend. I believe I said at the time that their football was so good to watch, despite losing. Their passing accuracy this season is the best in the division, with the result that they manage more shots per game than any other team. Meanwhile, we have the fewest shots per game of any team and the third worst passing accuracy.

I'm never sure if we can't pass or are encouraged not to. I suspect it's a combination of the two. Still, I suppose being third form bottom in the passing stats is progress on last season when we were the worst.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 am

Andym wrote:Mach's and Bluemike's reports are very similar, highlighting the problems we face. Those reports - alongside Radio Suffolk's glorious coverage - imply what I had said previously, that Kenlock is better going forward than he is defensively.

Mick Mills kept on about the 5 defenders being a problem as Fulham attacked wide with only one in the centre, making our use of 3 centre backs redundant. I'm not sure I agree; if we at getting overrun in wide areas, surely then Kenlock & Smith play on the left and Spence & Chambers defend the right. The change in system at half time obviously helped but the back line should be versatile enough to adjust, particularly as the 3 central defenders are all experienced.

I still remember when we played Fulham at home early in the season following their relegation, in 2014. we were 2 - 0 up and sat back. allowing Fulham to pull one back and a tense finish. They had no cutting edge but passed the ball so well. They have maintained that approach but added some goal threat to it - at the expense of being able to defend. I believe I said at the time that their football was so good to watch, despite losing. Their passing accuracy this season is the best in the division, with the result that they manage more shots per game than any other team. Meanwhile, we have the fewest shots per game of any team and the third worst passing accuracy.

I'm never sure if we can't pass or are encouraged not to. I suspect it's a combination of the two. Still, I suppose being third form bottom in the passing stats is progress on last season when we were the worst.
We can go on and on about the best formations - but surely it comes down to the players. Some adapt better - some have a better engine - some have a better footballing brain - some create something from nothing and therefore its the opposition who have to adapt...

I just feel that MM's influence is too much on this team and we don't have enough 'thinking', spontaneous players. Its not like we should be undisciplined and go for "Total Football" as we haven't got the players for that - but we're always seeming to rely on negating a team, rather than posing them problems. For the Fulham game, that's not a season-defining game as they are patently better than us - but we've gone against poor opposition and still not imposed ourselves on them. Just live of scraps or rely on something special from Lawrence.

I've got no beef with Mick for the Fulham game - I thought he picked a reasonable line-up and made changes at half-time which was most likely the right decision. Its the rest of the season which has been a massive disappointment where we are not building or improving whichever formation we play.