Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we going for a Burton?

Burton Albion Win
38%
Ipswich Town Win
38%
Bore Draw
23%

Total votes: 13

Andym

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Andym wrote:Good to hear Kenlock defending better.
Maybe I spoke to soon....

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Pitman misses golden chance.......never easy is it?!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:35 pm

I got it as 2 - 0 and then someone says they're now back in it. Should see out the final minutes and provide teams like Bristol City and Blackburn a favor when we win it. Applaud those who traveled to see the team in action, looks like there'll be some reward for the efforts.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

FT 2-1 town

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Berra deflects an almost certain equaliser. Set piece from Burton. Frantic defending....but final whistle. YEEEES!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm

That has sealed another season in the championship!

Caption: I just can't put my finger on why we are getting beat

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 pm

That without question will keep the club in the Championship league for another season - but let's be realistic it's been another campaign of underachievement and we haven't really got up to anything worth elaborating on. Fair enough it's (yet again) victory over a team occupying relegation concerns and one of the poorer teams this league has to offer but take nothing away it's three points for ourselves and the traveling number will be enough satisfied.

Will be interesting to see eventual game reaction on the score particularly McCarthy's view on what occurred.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Just home from the game and thought we played well. What's all the fuss about ?

Was good to catch up with Bluemike, Aylesbury, Mach & Liz and meet Trev and Shed for the first time, all in all a good Friday night out.

Will leave it to Mach and Blumike for their match reports.

That's my match for the season done and will allow me to take some good memories back to Spain on Wednesday.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:12 am

Charnwood wrote:Just home from the game and thought we played well. What's all the fuss about ?

Was good to catch up with Bluemike, Aylesbury, Mach & Liz and meet Trev and Shed for the first time, all in all a good Friday night out.

Will leave it to Mach and Blumike for their match reports.

That's my match for the season done and will allow me to take some good memories back to Spain on Wednesday.
Good for you Charnie btw Mike likes an "E"

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:48 am

Rare feeling this season as 3 points and good performance alike so really pleased and relieved.
Given results from Fridays afternoon I firmly expected McCarthy to play with 7 defenders but it didn't turn out to be the case.

First half in all honesty was poor and based on that the league table never lied regarding both clubs positions. Berra and Chambers addicted to hoofing. Nothing was going through the central midfield. If only we had had someone in the middle who could have distributed the ball ! Not saying though that it was disastrous. I'm merely pointing out that it should have been better. Burton will have had a few good results of late but don't know how they have done it as they really looked like a lower league opponent at times. McGoldrick once again being a nuisance like he was at Fulham. Lawrence a bit selfish in my opinion today as he liked one on one clashes with their defenders.
Sears fluffed a good chance when a simple shot on target would probably have ended up with a goal but it went well over the bar.

A few minutes before Sears' waste disallowed goal for us but it wasn't possible to see from our end if it was offside.

Last 20 minutes of the first half were a bit annoying as we basically invited Burton to have a go at us. Fortunately though they lacked quality upfront but their wingers were handed acres of space at times. Our ex-target Michael Kightly was their biggest threat and he still has a lot of quality to offer at this level.

Something must have been said by McCarthy in the dressing room as change of shape and attitude reaped the rewards. From the first ref's whistle after the interval it was a kind of performance that will have left travelling support really pleased. To be cynical it was anti-Mick McCarthy's one as we were quick, energetic and never sat back. Surprisingly the team never looked content with a draw and were much better than Burton for the majority of second half.

Quick goal following probably the only one good Lawrence's delivery from corner. Still better team afterwards and certainly closer than them to score another goal.
Kenlock's long run with the ball ended with the pass to Sears. His initial shot was saved by McLaughlin but a follow-up was a formality. 2-0 that perfectly exemplified the proceedings.

5 minutes from the time Burton score from penalty and here we go again. Things can never be smooth with Ipswich. 2-2 away at Brentford springs to my mind and I'm saying: 'oh no I cannot have that again'.

A minute after Pitman could have put the game to bed but he shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Really big pressure and nerves in the final few minutes as Burton attacked with fury. Bart's bar came to the rescue.

Final whistle meant a big relief. Deserved win for the 2nd half in particular where we've seen a dominant Ipswich team not the usual one trying to snatch a draw.

McGoldrick was our stand-out player by far. When fully fit and raring to go always very dangerous and that was the case today and can he play like that every week?
Kenlock a mare at Fulham last week complete contrast today. Very impressive.

Skuse? The player whom I criticise very often. It would have been a big sin if I had said a bad word about him today. Reliable, calm and assured but I'd also like him to pass balls towards strikers.

Lawrence ... as I've said above a bit selfish as he wanted to be Cristiano Ronaldo at times but he certainly caused a few problems.

Chambers? When playing a central back always far more useful than as a right back.

Ward was disappointing in my opinion.

Very tiny ground which actually looks bigger on TV.

After the game I was with the group of our fans who themselves would wait for the players. My intention was to have another meeting with Bart (had the first one at Barnsley) and once again he came across really well. Tried to get from him which Premiership club has been after him but he answered with a shy smile that there was something and let's leave it as it is at the moment. Told him myself that even tough he'd been with Southampton and Notts County he'll be loved and remembered by Ipswich fans most for his contribution with us and he said to me that he feels appreciated and this is his job as a professional to play as good as possible. He also said that he doesn't know if he will depart or stay. Asked him if he is going back to Poland after his career has finished he said that no matter if he joins a different club or not he and his family is going to stay in Ipswich for the rest of his life as they love the area.
We also spoke about McCarthy. He said that the entire team was fully behind him. He also said that people cannot forget what he has done for the club given LACK OF SUPPORT from Evans. I said to him that people appreciate that but part of support weren't happy with his remarks about the fans. I asked him too whether he thought that McCarthy has been too obsessed with the defensive aspect of the game. Bart said that every opponent is analysed before we play them and then McCarthy decides what system we are going to use.
Bart has also said that the team wasn't happy with the treatment of Jonathan Douglas. I told him that Douglas has been an automatic scapegoat for some morons any time when things weren't going well. Bart was asking why it is like that. He's said Douglas plays as good as he can at his age and what else do people expect from him? And Bart was dead right as the way some people treat Douglas is nothing short of disgusting.
When I told him about my worries regarding ITFC future (my prediticion is the relegation is the next couple of years) he said he couldn't comment about Evans because he doesn't know the club's plans.

Nice chat which has been a buckle of the day. So we have a summer. A bit of rest after very frustrating season. The next one is going to be an ordeal but not thinking about that today. Today has been a good away day, nice pre-match time in the Beech Inn pub with Bluemike and his son Tom, Hallamblue, Charnwood and Trev, good and encouraging Town performance in the 2nd half, 3 points, chat with Bart. There is nothing else I can ask for regarding today. See you at Rotherham and enjoy the Newcastle match !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am

That's a really insightful report from Mach with his chat (I guess in Polish) with Bart. I think you get more of an insight with this informal chat than you do from formal press reports about the club.

You get the big impression that MM has the support of the squad. Thought his comments about the treatment of Douglas and his team-mates support were really important. There's no way that Douglas deserved that treatment.... and glad his team-mates backed him up. Douglas at his age has no future here. I can understand fan's frustration about him being in the team - but why the hateful spite aimed at him? The guy's just doing his best and what's asked of him.

I want MM to go in the summer as I think he's done as much as he can (unless feuding with the fans for another year is part of his job) , but the chat between Bart and Mach does prove he has the support and respect of his players.

Good win - and happy for Kenlock. Nice to see one of the youth products do well and come back well after an iffy game at Fulham.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am

What a great way to start the Easter weekend, a good solid performance and Three points to end even the smallest of concerns that we may yet not be safe. Any worries we had of Town looking to nick a point were extinguished the moment we saw the team sheet as it was a team that I think most would have picked given the chance. it was a game that was to see Town dominate the second half after what was a very even and cagey opening Forty Five in which again we probably just edged despite doing our best to help Burton cause us problems.

bart was the first to be called into action as he comfortably held a weak effort from Woodrow while at the other end Didsy and Sears both had attempts which cause little concern to Burton. Town continued to create one or two openings which were coming to nothing but midway through the half we were almost punished as Bart & Chambo both hesitated to deal with a ball in the box allowing Woodrow to claim the ball and send in a cross which thankfully Huws got to first to turn it behind, one of those classic cases where we are our worst own enemies and create problems for ourselves.

Not long after we were celebrating going 1-0 up, or so we thought, the ball found its way to Ward who's wayward effort was rammed home by the very impressive Kenlock prompting wild celebrations in the away end, incredibly after what seemed like an age we discovered the goal had been ruled out for what later was proven to be an incorrect linesman's flag, by all accounts video evidence showed the goal should have stood. Soon after Sears missed his obligatory sitter as he blazed over the bar with the goal at his mercy, but Town were playing some ok stuff, that said at times we were gifting Burton acres of space, especially down our flanks where the impressive kightly and Dyer were causing us problems, it was far from one way traffic. It had been clear to me how disinterested Tom Lawrence appeared to be, time after time his half hearted efforts lost the ball or failed to deliver anything of note into the box, his body language just seemed very lacklustre. The play continued to flow from end to end with half chances for both sides, Burton had what they thought was a good shout for a penalty when by all accounts Chambers handled while trying to clear but I could not see it from our vantage point, either way the ref was not interested. the half drew to a close with honours even in what I thought had been an ok half by Town and not a bad game to watch, at times especially early doors we were playing too many long hoofballs but that aside we stood firm and looked quite dangerous at times.

The second half was a very impressive showing from Town as we came soaring out of the blocks and never really let up, it wasn't long before we finally got ourselves ahead, lawrence finally delivering a good ball from a corner and Luke Varney could only fire his header past his own keeper, at the time it looked like Huws or Chambo and got the vital touch but hey who cares, Chambo led the celebrations right in front of us as the fans went wild. Soon after Bart pulled off a good save to thwart kightly as Burton had to come at us now but Town were not to be denied and still carried the far greater threat, McGoldrick was having an inspired night and at times the ball look glued to his boot, whan like this he can be unplayable and most of our good work was going through him, it has to be said that in the middle Skusey was also having a very assured game, as is often the case it will go unnoticed but his workrate in breaking up play, mopping up any loose balls and getting the tackles in was winning the Midfield battle, Huws too was getting through a lot of work alongside him.

As we approached the final Quarter of the game it was Town claiming a penalty when Didsy was bundled over and it certainly looked a pretty good shout for one but as with the Burton appeals the ref wasn't about to give it. Burton were trying to give it a go but were finding us very stubborn in defence and Town, led by the mercurial McGoldrick continued to take the game to the home side, his mazey runs causing them scare after scare. as we approached the final Ten minutes Town doubled their lead, Huws won the ball and the superb Myles Kenlock charged forward with the ball, the young fullback had all the composure of a seasoned pro as he played the ball in to Sears who smashed his shot at the keeper but thankfully the rebound fell kindly for Freddie who made no mistake with his second attempt, the Town players celebrated likee they knew it was job done for the season and the fans went crazy, the run by Kenlock reminded so much of a young Titus Bramble who used to get the fans off their seats with his marauding runs from defence to attack.

Town never ever do it the easy way though and with the clock running down the otherwise faultless Kenlock brings down Varney inside the box and Burton pull a goal back from the spot, it really was harsh on Town as we had bossed the game after the break, a minute later substitute Pitman missed a great chance to make it 3-1 as he hit his shot straight at the keeper when easier to score and there was still time for Burton to almost get level as a break away fell to one of their strikers who hit a shot but Berra pulled off a brilliant lunging block to send the ball onto the bar and over for a corner, at the time it looked like bart had tipped it over but by all accounts it was a fantastic block by the CB. The corner was cleared and the game was won to the relief of the Town players and fans.

It was a good solid nights work and a thoroughly deserved Three points at a place where better teams than us had fallen. The results earlier in the day had pulled us back into the mix and heaped on the pressure again but Town responded, went for it and got their rewards, it was as good a performance as I have seen for some time. For me Didsy was a star who at times ran the show while the kid Kenlock was immense, he shows maturity beyond his years and already is racking up assists on a regualr basis and even has attempts at goal quite often, he was so unlucky not to claim his first senior goal with a poor decision, anyone who thinks Knudsen is better option needs their head testing. The much maligned Skusey had a good shift too, while others get all the accolades he does the hard graft that gets no rewards, a good effort from him, Sears does what he does best and runs to the ends of the erath from start to finish, at the back Bart wasn't ovelry worked and the Two CB's did ok and stood firm, spence too improved after a in and out first half but had a really good opponent to deal with. Lawrence and Ward didnt have their best games but kept going and never hid. All things considered we can feel pleased with most of last night, I think we have to say on this occasion MM got most things right, kept it tight first half and really went for it after the break when switching formation.

Bart (7) Spence (6) Chambers (7) Berra (7) Kenlock (8) Ward (6) Huws (7) Skuse (8) Lawrence (6) Sears (6) Didsy (9)

If only we could play like that all the time, much of the ill feeling would never have happened, ok it was only Burton I hear people saying but they are still there to be beaten, others have failed where we did not. the untiy in the squad seemed so apparent when we scored, that is good to see, we are told all the players are united behind Mick and it looks that way so quite what the Summer holds for us god knows, for now we can relax and enjoy the last Four games without the threat of a doomsday scenario.

A super day out and many thank for the great company AylesburyBlue, HallamBlue, Mach, Trev, Charny and his lovely lady, Shed and his gang, it was a pleasure. COYB'S

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 am

These match reports are worth their weight in gold, and more. Can't say it enough in written words, but it really is much appreciated. You guys are awesome.

The sigh of relief seeing the final result was overwhelming! Maybe not mathematically safe, but......, definitely safe......, and that is HUGE! League One scares the underpants off me. I see Coventry City about to get "R" worded into League Two and my wee cousin, (born & raised in Coventry) is devastated. Sad to see. SO......, THANKS MICK MCAFFY for keeping those Super TB's in the Championship.

Can go to Easter Road now very happy and watch Hibs win the league, hopefully. Come on, the Cabbage, make it an Easter holiday to remember.

Have a great remainder of the Easter holidays y'all, and hump those geordies on Monday night. :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:56 am

:) A good result tonight, but so we should be beating the likes of Burton, Wigan, Rotherham, etc. so this result does not change a thing, McCarthy put us in this situation so he shouldn't glorify himself of an achievement he created, so fellow fans don't get hoodwinked into thinking Marcus will stump up for next season as I can assure you he wont, :D so what we can do is get rid of Mick & Co, and start afresh with a new manager, and hopefully at some time in the not too distant future a new owner wouldn't go amiss.

Now lets see how we do against Newcastle that's the real test?????

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reports! I did see a nice review of the stadium there and the atmosphere for being so small, did you guys find it that way also?

It seemes the players are backing Mick and looking to ME to step it up

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:46 pm

It was certainly a very compact stadium Ohio, the atmosphere in the away end as pretty good throughout, however the home fans took until about the 85th minute to muster any type of noise at all. I've been to much worse grounds for sure and the locals seemed friendly enough.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Watching the highlights, the stadium did look pretty intimate bluemike. The poster on the other site even said he wanted them to stay up because of it.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 pm

ashfordblue wrote::) A good result tonight, but so we should be beating the likes of Burton, Wigan, Rotherham, etc. so this result does not change a thing, McCarthy put us in this situation so he shouldn't glorify himself of an achievement he created, so fellow fans don't get hoodwinked into thinking Marcus will stump up for next season as I can assure you he wont, :D so what we can do is get rid of Mick & Co, and start afresh with a new manager, and hopefully at some time in the not too distant future a new owner wouldn't go amiss.

ashford the manner of win was good that's the main point from last night. We were really dominant in the 2nd half and this is Ipswich I want to watch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm

ashfordblue wrote::) A good result tonight, but so we should be beating the likes of Burton, Wigan, Rotherham, etc. so this result does not change a thing, McCarthy put us in this situation so he shouldn't glorify himself of an achievement he created, so fellow fans don't get hoodwinked into thinking Marcus will stump up for next season as I can assure you he wont, :D so what we can do is get rid of Mick & Co, and start afresh with a new manager, and hopefully at some time in the not too distant future a new owner wouldn't go amiss.

So how did we do in the real test ? Still not good enough ? Or angry cus its too little too late ?