Ipswich Town v Newcastle United preview and matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we spring an Easter surprise?

Ipswich Town win
55%
Draw
9%
Newcastle United win
36%

Total votes: 11

Quasar

Re: Ipswich Town v Newcastle United preview and matchday thread

Post by Quasar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 pm

newcstle fans have a long shitty drive back - lol 3-1 revenge !!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Two wins in four days.....I'm pretty certain that's our first back to back wins this season!

What a result, and maybe save Town losing a few hundred Season Ticket holders.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank You Town, Thanks Mick. So Happy

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Though I know you do not read these and I fully understand why please learn that there is a time to let loose the dogs of war and we love you for it.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm

shamm wrote:
Quasar wrote:TRAITOR !!!
No celebration by Murphy!!
Respect then

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Really good performance. Newcastle were poor, but we had the bit between the teeth. So deserved.

Really thought the defensive substitions would mean us trying to hang on in our box.... but even time for a Huws cracker.

Mick has been saving that for us all season.

Fickle fan time : Super Mick MCCarthy :)

Cook77

Post by Cook77 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Came back to my hotel hoping to get the latest on the game and it was live on tele result all round

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm

The season starts here! :D

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Judging by MM comments after game good chance hes off. Either that or he's going to war with the fans.
Good performance today and very happy leaving the ground. Too little too late really but at least that is a performance fans can be proud of.and more like the Ipswich of old under Mick

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Wow where did that come from?
If only, if only, if only, Town. Hopefully we can put in a similar performance Saturday week and then I can sign off as a season ticket holder in a happy mood.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

What a fitting tribute to Sir Bobby. A performance of some quality which for a change oozed passion, commitment and no shortage of quality, to watch that kind of attacking football begs the obvious question, why only now ??? To be honest it would not have been an injustice had we scored Five, the performance merited it, a goal chalked off for very little, 2 or 3 other chances before Ward got greedy instead of slipping in Pitman for a tap in right at the death, yes its fair to say we bossed it.

I thought we started very well and looked really hungry and up for it from the off, as early as the Fifth minute sears was testing their keeper and not long after Tom Lawrence scored with a free kick, however Chambo had been adjudged to have commited a foul which I must admit I didnt see, none the less it had been an impressive start from Town. It was the home side who again had an effort on goal, this time Didsy's effort comfortably dealt with by Darlow. Newcastle were gradually edging themselves into the game with Shelvey the main outlet, it was he who tested Bart twice from distance but both were routine catches for the Town keeper. Town were flashing a fair few balls into the box but nobody was able to get a crucial touch on them, however it was still quite impressive stuff from Town with Didsy & sears causing problems for the Newcastle defence with their movement and running and they were well supported by Ward and Huws, kenlock was once again looking solid at LB.

Five minutes before the break Newcastle had by far their best chance so far as Ritchie ghosted in to plant a header wide of the goal when he should really have done better, it was the first real let off for Town. Town were not to be denied though and went up the other end and took the lead, again Kenlock had his part to play as he won the ball before sending Lawrence away, the loanee strode forward and played in Sears who smashed his shot home leaving darlow with no chance, the crowd erupted like nothing we have seen at PR all season. Incredibly we could have been Two up before the break with Didsy seeing his shot blocked and away form a corner. The HT whistle was greeted with warm applause and lots of positive noise for a change which was so good to hear, it was no more than the boys deserved after a really good performance.

The second half started very evenly with first Town on the attack and then Newcastle but it was obvious that the geordies had more purpose to their play compared to the first half. Ther had been no great chances at either end before Lawrence whipped his freekick high and wide, Not long after it was agony for Town as Newcastle found themselves level with what for me was definitely an undeserved equaliser. It was a break down Town's right side and a cross that evaded everyone before inevitably falling to the unmarked Murphy who had the simplest of tasks in firing into an empty net. It was harsh on Town as on balance they really hadnt done a lot to warrant being level.

Newcastle had definitely had their best spell of the game which culminated in their goal but Town were not content to sit on what they had and instead went looking for a second, they didnt have to wait long for it either. A poor clearance by darlow set Town on the attack and some passing football between Huws, McGoldrick, Lawrence & Sears culminated in Didsy tapping home at the far post to send the North stand into raptures. Instead of the expected Newcastle onslaught Town continued on the front foot, Ward tried his luck from distance before McGoldrick drew a good save form Darlow with his attempted chip which appeared to be sailing just under the bar. The joy was to step up a notch as Pitman won a tackle in the box and crossed for Huws who sealed the win with a cracking drive at the far post which almost burst the net, it capped off a fine afternoon for Town and a very good performance. We could and should have had a Fourth too as Ward got a bit greedy and treid his luck when a side pass to the unmarked Pitman would definitely have seen the Fourth go in.

It was like the Town of old, the Portman Road of old, why oh why have we not had more of these days and performances, no doubt Mick will get the stick for that but right now lets enjoy a cracking result. To see the fans erupting and singing their hearts out while the players celebrated to a man in front of us in the North stand had hairs standing up on the back of my neck, too little too late it may be but on a day when we remembered the legend that is Sir Bobby every one of the boys in Blue rose to the occasion and provided a fitting tribute to the great man, I said in the preview I wanted us to do it the "Ipswich way" and while it may not have been to the standard of a Robson team it was a very good effort all round, he would have been so proud.

Bart (7) Kenlock (8) Berra (7) Chambers (7) Spence (7) Ward (7) Skuse (7) Lawrence (7) Huws (8) Sears (8) Didsy (9)

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Agree pretty much with all that. Newcastle worried me after half time as we struggled to get hold of the ball at all really until our second goal. Great performance. If I've questioned Kenlock's defending before....well today he was outstanding. The substitutions disappointed me as MM took off the 2 players who can hang on to the ball. But let's celebrate a great result. If we coukd improve our passing we'd be dangerous....

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 pm

One of those occasions when all the stars become aligned to provide a just about near perfect day at PR - with rightful emphasis on dear Bobby Robson, and the love and respect with which he continues to be held universally.

As ever Bluemike's report is spot on - for me, it was the whole team's energy levels and movement, both with and without possession, that formed the foundation of today's excellent performance. Of course there were areas where we can still improve - but there always are! For the most part, however, if someone had beamed down from Mars, they would have taken some persuading that it wasn't us who were on the verge of promotion. Well done to all involved today - brilliant atmosphere in the ground. How quickly things can change.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Amazing what can be achieved , when we line up with the intention to ATTACK, pity McCarthy wasn't prepared to do this many more times thus season. Just what is wrong with the man? We HAVE the players by and large to inflict this type of result on any team.

Well played today lads. Sir Bobby Robson Day , and you played the game befitting this special man. It should have been 5-1

coybs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Is the Sky results page broken or was it 3-1 ITFC v NUFC?! Bloody hell, what a result. Well done Mick McAffy & Co.

That London to Edinburgh train stopping at Peterborough to pick up Newcastle fans???...... feel sorry for those other passengers tonight. The "quiet coach" would be the place to be!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:Amazing what can be achieved , when we line up with the intention to ATTACK, pity McCarthy wasn't prepared to do this many more times thus season.
Couldn't agree more. To be honest I wasn't expecting us to go for them but we did. As a team that is a little short on quality, closing down quickly and taking the game to them is the most likely way to be successful. It definitely worked today.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Fantastic result against one of the top sides. Ipswich being Ipswich will probably go and lose to Rotherham next week, so let's injoy this week. :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Can anyone remember the last time we had three successive wins ?
.... how good would that be.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Great Win today lads......

ImageImageImage

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Reading MM's post-match comments, I get the impression that the performance was achieved by players taking responsibility, as opposed to him deliberately taking the shackles off, or some miraculous tactical conversion over the Easter period.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:Can anyone remember the last time we had three successive wins ?
Well we won the last Two games of last season and the opening game this season, failing that we won 3 successive league games August 2015 Sheff Wed (H) Burnley (H) and Preston (A)

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Kenlock...give him a good wage.Brilliant Blue boys. I'm a walk up fan so give me more of this and Bramford Rd chippy will get more custom.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 pm

bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Can anyone remember the last time we had three successive wins ?
Well we won the last Two games of last season and the opening game this season, failing that we won 3 successive league games August 2015 Sheff Wed (H) Burnley (H) and Preston (A)

After the two latest performances maybe we can make it three in a row next Saturday, shame I'll be away cos Rotherham is another easy ground for me to get to when we're back home and the same with Forest on the final Sunday.

p*ss poor planning me thinks. :( :( :(

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 pm

25,684, a great crowd on Sir Bobby Robson Day.

A great tribute to a great man and a big "Well Done" to Mick McCarthy and the players.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Put forward a 3 - 1 home win in the pre-game forecast, had no idea that it would come to pass. Must have pretty good instincts and the crowd today must have been something to behold as the game reached it's climax.

Can't understand why the f*ck the team can't perform like this more often. On that one display alone, had it been consistent enough throughout the season, we could well have been lining up a play-off position today but it's just an element of frustration that the team falls short on so many occasion, that today they actually performed and it went our way. Don't get me wrong, as pleased as the next that the team had such a standout victory, but it's arrived at a time when the season is done.

Got to say that on the apparent "Sir Robson Day", Bob would have been mighty proud of our endeavors and something of a glowing tribute to a man who took the club to such heights, that it can never be replicated.

(Attempted to put up some game highlights and discussion from Sky Sports but something decided not to co-operate so unable to provide at this point in time)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am

Had a sh*t day at work, and I didn't see the result 'til hours after the final whistle. What a great win and fine tribute to Sir Bobby! If MM can motivate the players to perform like that then fair dues to him. If MM wants the sneers changed to smiles play to win. God I wish I could have been at Portman Road today!

COYB!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

:wink: This is a cunning plan by the owner Marcus and Mick, with over 25'000 fans in attendance for the Sir Bobby Robson day, Marcus said to Mick FFS get them playing attacking football, we're safe now so go for it, as I want this attendance at all home games next year, this is usually the time of the season when players looking for a new contract will play out of their skins, just like Tommy Miller used too, when his contract was up for renewal, there was no better midfield player than our Tommy, but once it was secured it was back to the none existent Miller cruising around doing as least work possible, so moral of this story is, don't get hoodwinked into thinking this performance against Newcastle is going to continue, because I have my doubts about it, as Blue mike and others have stated, why now to start performing its a bit late in the day, where about 38 games were utter crap throughout the season, so don't all suddenly rush off to renew your Season tickets, wait and see what turns up next season, with Mick still at the helm, I feel it will be the same old crap games we've come to witness last and this season, (a Leopard does not change his spots) and if no investment is forthcoming form our invisible owner over the summer, then you will know what to do, avoid being drawn into a false dawn, you never know there might be big changes afoot during the summer break, there might be a new manager appointed, Marcus might sell to a new owner??? Nah its me dreaming on :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm

ashfordblue wrote::wink: This is a cunning plan by the owner Marcus and Mick, with over 25'000 fans in attendance for the Sir Bobby Robson day, Marcus said to Mick FFS get them playing attacking football, we're safe now so go for it, as I want this attendance at all home games next year, this is usually the time of the season when players looking for a new contract will play out of their skins, just like Tommy Miller used too, when his contract was up for renewal, there was no better midfield player than our Tommy, but once it was secured it was back to the none existent Miller cruising around doing as least work possible, so moral of this story is, don't get hoodwinked into thinking this performance against Newcastle is going to continue, because I have my doubts about it, as Blue mike and others have stated, why now to start performing its a bit late in the day, where about 38 games were utter crap throughout the season, so don't all suddenly rush off to renew your Season tickets, wait and see what turns up next season, with Mick still at the helm, I feel it will be the same old crap games we've come to witness last and this season, (a Leopard does not change his spots) and if no investment is forthcoming form our invisible owner over the summer, then you will know what to do, avoid being drawn into a false dawn, you never know there might be big changes afoot during the summer break, there might be a new manager appointed, Marcus might sell to a new owner??? Nah its me dreaming on :lol:
Was reading post-game response on Those Were The Days a short time earlier and believe it or not there were a handful of participants who were in favor of wanting McCarthy to remain not only for next season but two or three years thereafter. I don't know if these are genuine answers or some poor attempt at humor but this will be on the back of yesterday's victory and maybe one or two getting carried away with events. Mind you this isn't the first instance, as other times this season particularly the second half, the team has produced a score or merit -after several games of sub-standard play - and all of the sudden people rise up and declare the manager as some sort of savior or figure of importance. It's bizarre, but as before you never can tell if these are genuine response or someone's trying to incite belligerence.

The talk of fickle fans always comes to the fore in scenarios such as this but it's going to make small difference to some. Read what you stated and you got to believe a win over Rotherham is expected but knowing ourselves, what chance the team reverts to type and goes down against arguably the least ineffective team in the league, already consigned to League One this season.

Best scenario : McCarthy decides it's time to vacate and try something different, Evans sells up and new ownership arrives, we build on the last two games and try to mount a challenge next season. But while the former seems realistic, just can't envisage the owner moving out at the same time. Realize he is the root cause of our problems but in any event being rid of McCarthy would be a step in the right direction if nothing else.