Good appointment, lousy timing

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Good appointment, lousy timing

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

There was an interesting news item that came to attention within the last few hours in that Redknapp has become new manager at Birmingham City. This is a good appointment that could actually work for them but they're leaving it late if they want to salvage their Championship status.

Why Zola was appointed to begin with only they know, that was never going to work and a bizarre choice (and) if they had brought in Redknapp instead at that time they could most likely be in a comfortable position and away from any relegation danger. Nothing is too late until the last minute, so they've provided themselves a fighting chance at least but as before there isn't much in the way of time to work with.

People will bring up the issue of Redknapp's questionable activities i.e. financial irregularities that made the news a short time back, but beyond all that he's damn good manager and has provided teams with real opportunity for success. If he were to oversee a win at Aston Villa in a short time then he'll be a Blues hall-of-famer - more so if it played a pivotal part in keeping the club up - but the bottom line is, while it's an impressive deal, time is against them and should have been employed weeks before now when his predecessor was only inflicting further harm and scores that see them where they're at.

http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/2016-1 ... 80773.aspx

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Good appointment, lousy timing

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:11 pm

They get everything they bloody deserve for sacking Rowett, I hope they go down.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Yep, I was really pleased that Burton beat them yesterday. Certainly hope they stay up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Agree with that about Burton and said so after we had beaten them on Friday. They seem a decent Club with a nice ground and friendly fans, unlike Birmingham.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm not sure Harry Redknapp is a good appointment, they'd have been far better off taking Mick McCarthy off our hands.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Apparently he won't get paid by Brum if he doesn't keep them up.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 pm

I wouldn't want harry redknapp anywhere near Ipswich to be honest. Don't trust him at all, can be a good manager but if your not careful he will gladly spend every penny you have and leave you in a dire situation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:56 pm

So he would spend all 5 pence then ? He would not have a clue on the budget Mick has had.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm

charlton837 wrote:....but if your not careful he will gladly spend every penny you have and leave you in a dire situation.
Yes but he'd need Mevans' account Sort Code, account number and three digit security code. Which I'm sure 'arry could get if he really wanted.

I'd prefer the Brum City stayed up. Cannot stand the other club from that city with the dodgy colours.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

bluemike wrote:He would not have a clue on the budget Mick has had.
Not many would in this day and age.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 pm

bluemike wrote:So he would spend all 5 pence then ? He would not have a clue on the budget Mick has had.
Agreed on that. Whilst I want a change of manager if his replacement was Harry then I would be very concerned.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am

Unable to always comprehend the animosity towards the said individual, it's not as if he's done harm to anyone. Surprised to an extent he's still involved (in club management) when thinking back to Bournemouth in the early 80's, but take one look at the available resume, he's got substantial experience and has taken a number of clubs to great heights and even those less fashionable i.e. Portsmouth, brought honors their way and nationwide recognition. Maybe it's a personal thing with some others but have always admired his approach and how he can rally a team towards potential achievement.

We know it's not all about money and available funds that sees a team compete or be successful (that has been authenticated in recent seasons by a number of championship sides) and while a significant cash injection would be of considerable benefit to bring in new additions, I'd rather allocate Redknapp to utilize (the) money than provide what we still possess with the necessary means.

But isn't this dependant on a number of factors ? : i.e. we are unaware of what McCarthy intends to do during this upcoming close season (there's so much pissing around and assumption that nobody seems to know what's going on) and not only that, Evans also could potentially move on and leave us behind at long last, although the latter would seem improbable for this calendar year.

Bottom line I'd take Harry Redknapp over McCarthy any day of the week, there's no indecision or ambiguity with it, hell if for only one season it would be a refreshing change and something less banal that what we've been used to for the last two or three years now. If people take issue with the former it's their dispute, their problem, I only see him as a capable name that can provide any team with a fighting chance.

One of the previous responses alluded to Birmingham relieving McCarthy of us after the Zola resignation, but there's small chance McCarthy would have even been mentioned let alone shortlisted as a potential candidate. For one thing their directors would have been taking note of all considered names and how they have fared this season and for fucks sake, who in their right mind would bring in a team on the verge of the relegation zone and with minimal games remaining, another club manager who has seriously underperformed and for every one fine score, there's three or four either side of it that are unacceptable. Secondly, could you envisage (Birmingham) fans taking that potential appointment would good grace ? McCarthy alone has irritated the - (unable to provide a suitable expletive) - out of so many of Town fans this past season itself, could you imagine how another club would welcome it - especially one with so much to lose and in such short time to save themselves.

That said won't be too much of a surprise to see Birmingham salvage their league status now he's on board but one final time, they're going to have move fast while time permits itself.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Not done anyone any harm ? Try telling that to Billy Bonds, his so called best mate.