Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday preview & matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the Owls go the same way as the Magpies?

Ipswich Town win
45%
Draw
18%
Sheffield Wednesday win
36%

Total votes: 11

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday preview & matchday thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:15 am

Shed on tour wrote:Remember one game at Morton and the abuse the fans were giving their own players was unbelievable. I reckon if it happened at Portman Road some of the players would burst into tears!
:lol: I know it's not funny but couldn't help it there. I understand this completely. I remember Brian Hamilton for Hibs, (before he went to the Jambofuckers) actually physically crying at Pittodrie when Hibs fans were just relentless in the abuse. I would've felt sorry for him........ but he was sh*t, ....... so, no! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 am

I think the Loonatics would sort out the Greenock boys no trouble. :wink:

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 am

Lets just go with a 1-0 Town win as I have no idea what we will get.

Caption:

Boy to girl, "Look, I never said two inches was exactly the FULL monty"

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Giving us fans a grand farewell at home 0-1.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Not many people expected the win so no real harm done eh?

Today's results sets up the league beautifully for it to at least be interesting next week. Any one of Blackburn, Forest or Birmingham to join Wigan and Rotherham to League One. And especially with Ipswich Town playing Forest, doubley interesting.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm

marko69 wrote:Not many people expected the win so no real harm done eh?

Today's results sets up the league beautifully for it to at least be interesting next week. Any one of Blackburn, Forest or Birmingham to join Wigan and Rotherham to League One. And especially with Ipswich Town playing Forest, doubley interesting.
Win? No but I expect a better performance than that shower of sh*te! Good summary of the season today

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm

:x No Marko at home should win end of, but Mick still bigging up Sheff Wed, oh their on a roll, have good momentum. tw*t.

Jags nearly bet the Jumbo F***wits grrrrr 2-1 up but a draw is a good result.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Chose my words wrong. Agreed, shouldn't be losing at home, but what I meant was relegation not an issue and Wednesday looking to play offs. The performance DOES matter and not good for you attending fans of it was sh*t....... not read a report yet.

And yes, the Jags chucked it. The Jambo bastards were apparently really poor.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 pm

marko69 wrote:Not many people expected the win so no real harm done eh?

Interesting for blackburn and birmingham, forest certain to get 3 points against town!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:46 pm

Got bits and pieces of any game report but enough to unambiguously indicate that fans were once again disgruntled with what occurred and the (obligatory) castigation of relevant personnel.

Pity that the team couldn't end the season with home victory but appears the players didn't seem to want it and there can be small dispute in Sheffield as eventual winners. They got the making of a good team there and ready for the play-off games in a short time, (I) wish them well, there's no hard feelings about today : any issues can be addressed at our own club.

Nottingham Forest got a favorable game next week if they want to stay in the league for another season is all to summarize and include.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 am

I suppose it was inevitable that the home campaign would be concluded with yet another insiped and dull performance, much in keeping with 90% of what had gone before it, the hope that we would turn in another Newcastlesque performance failed to materialise as a superior Wednesday team who it has to be said had far more riding on it than us did what they had to do as they grabbed the victory to guarantee their place in the end of season lottery that is the play offs.

In truth there was little in it during the first half, Town actually having a good chance to go ahead in the opening minutes but on this occasion Tom Lawrence failed to finish and his weak shot was easily saved by Westwood. There was little goalmouth action at either end but it was actually Town who again had an effort on target with Westwood again saving, this time from a McGoldrick shot. Despite Town carving out the only Two efforts on goal it was Sheffield Wednesday who were seeing most of the ball and their passing was far crisper than ours, their movement far more purposeful and they looked to have the edge on us in most departments, Barry Bannen was catching the eye in Midfield with a very energetic and impressive performance while Wallace was also proving to be a handful out wide. At the back Town had coped pretty well with a lot of aerial balls with Berra in particular getting his head to a several, Spence too was mopping up a lot and was doing ok, the Midfield was struggling to contain the Wednesday Midfield, Skuse was doing what he does but Ward was having a mare and everything he tried failed to come off, Huws had not seen enough of the ball to influence the game, up front Didsy & Sears were working hard with Didsy again looking the most effetive when in possession. Honours even at HT and on balance a fair result with Town having the only efforts on goal but the opposition looking the more cultured on the ball.

The second half was only a couple of minutes old when Wednesday almost grabbed the lead, the very impressive wallace went on a run before cutting in from the wing and smashing a shot against the pos, the ball flashed across the box and the two advancing strikers were unable to get to the loose ball, oddly there was no Town defender in sight, it was a weird passage of play as standing right behind it looked for all the world like Bart was going to catch the ball with relative ease but whether he lost flight of it or what I don't know but suddenly he was flapping at air, a let off for Town. Not long after Bart was called into action again, this time saving well from Fletcher's effort. Rowe was introduced at the expense of the struggling Tom Lawrence but it was Sheffield who had stepped it up second half and Town were finding it hard to create anything of note, in fact we were unable to string Two or Three passes together while Sheffield were building decent moves with regularity.

Town did finally fashion a chance with Samuel, who had only just come on putting his header wide of the mark but it was only really a half chance. Not long after we fell behind with Wednesday getting the goal their second half dominance deserved, the best player on the field Bannen started the move which ended with Lee flicking home a cross from the left leaving Bart stranded. If anything Wednesday looked the more likely to add to the score with Forestieri fluffing a great chance to double the lead. The final couple of minutes passed without any real incident. While honours were even in the first half you could not help but be disappointed by the way we approached things after the break, we let them dictate and looked like we were on our holidays, to be fair they needed it and were up for it big time, they look a good side on current form and will take some beating with confidence high. Not too many players stood out for Town and it was tough to know who was MOTM but if pushed I would edge towards Didsy or Spence who without being anything special worked hard all afternoon, never hid and tried to play the ball when in possession.

Bart (6) Spence (7) Chambers (6) Berra (6) Kenlock (6) Lawrence (6) Ward (5) Huws (5) Skuse (6) Didsy (7) Sears (6)

SUBS :- Rowe (5) Samuel (5) Moore (5)

So that is is for another season where our home games are concerned and I for one am glad to be honest, it's not been a good place to watch football this past Nine months and there are many reasons why which we all know only too well. I decided against waiting for the players to complete their lap of appreciation, I am not one to boo and jeer or sing anti Mick songs but I just felt a bit hypocritical standing there to applaud what for me have been at times a disappointing bunch of players. We have Forest away next week and then the inquest and real work can begin in earnest, it has to or else........

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:19 pm

What a terrible game to end the home season. It highlighted to me that claims of the Championship being a tough division are unfounded. MM may be right that Sheffield Wednesday had a bit more class, but only because we had none whatsoever. The first 45 minutes were dire. Wednesday pumped long balls for their strikers ti chase - as bluemike said, we coped well defensively - and we pumped long balls aimlessly. Terrible football from both teams. Wednesday were better in the second half. We conticontinued to hoof aimlessly and pass attrociously. On that performance if Wednesday are worthy of the playoffs it just highlights what a sh*t league this is. Yes thry deserved the win on the second half performance but they weren't very good

Our midfield might as well have stayed at home. Most if the time the bsll sailed over their heads. When fhry dud get it they gave it away cheaply.

Kenlock did well. The rest of the defence did ok defensively but played hoofball all afternoon. Skuse was Skuse - did ok but created next to nothing apart from a quick pass out wide in the second half. The rest of them were completely ineffective.

Possibly the most boring game of the season. Not a single player provided any justification why we should keep them for next season. And Wednesday have no chance of winning the playoffs unless they play 10 times better than that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree with almost everything you say, Andy, but I'm struggling with your idea that the league isn't tough. It's all relative to each club in the league....., if they ALL played like a bag of Shyte, then it'd be a tough league, no?

I think all the clubs in the league are actually guilty of playing like Shyte now and again over the course of the season....., even B&HA & NUFC have struggled at times, (Bristol City game yesterday being testimony to that). Are you comparing some of the play to maybe watching Champions League? Because that'll make any league look terrible.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 pm

And if the crowd was 19000 then I have a 12" c**k

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm

marko69 wrote:I agree with almost everything you say, Andy, but I'm struggling with your idea that the league isn't tough. It's all relative to each club in the league....., if they ALL played like a bag of Shyte, then it'd be a tough league, no?

I think all the clubs in the league are actually guilty of playing like Shyte now and again over the course of the season....., even B&HA & NUFC have struggled at times, (Bristol City game yesterday being testimony to that). Are you comparing some of the play to maybe watching Champions League? Because that'll make any league look terrible.
I know what you mean but I'm not comparing it to a very high standard. In all honesty the first half yesterday - and our performance throughout the 90 minutes - was closer to Sunday league football. Hoof from the back. When in possession give it away with poor passes or run till you lose it. There were previously few moments of any quality yesterday , the only one probably led to the deciding goal.

I guess I just would like to see a few more teams or individuals with a decent first touch, or the vision to make a telling pass. I guess what I'm saying is you don't have to be that good to succeed in this league.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:53 pm

I think what makes it a 'tough' league is that it's not necessarily having the ability to outplay the opposition with quality football; rather possessing resilience, physical/mental toughness and consistency of performance in games often decided on fine margins. The ability to play when allowed, or scrap and battle successfully against teams who set up prinipally not to lose! Over 46 games Brighton did just that.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm

herforder wrote:I think what makes it a 'tough' league is that it's not necessarily having the ability to outplay the opposition with quality football; rather possessing resilience, physical/mental toughness and consistency of performance in games often decided on fine margins. The ability to play when allowed, or scrap and battle successfully against teams who set up prinipally not to lose! Over 46 games Brighton did just that.
I think that's true to some extent, certainly the physical side. Unfortunately the international breaks result in pushing lots of fixtures close together followed by a fortnight off.

I'm not convinced there's any mental toughness in playing football at this level. And if they can't be consistent on their wages they should get a proper job....

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:43 pm

I think the often heard phrase 'their heads have dropped' when up against it might point to lack of mental strength, or acceptance of the inevitable, without a fighting response. Quite often the ability to perform when under pressure - promotion/relegation etc - requires the right, fully focussed, mind set. Much of the mental side comes from individual and collective confidence - which consistently winning games does wonders for!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:39 pm

I agree confidence is a big issue in football. But beyond that? A team that beat Newcastle to ensure survival produces total sh*te under no pressure. That's just a lack of ability and / or poor coaching and tactics.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 am

bluemike wrote:And if the crowd was 19000 then I have a 12" c**k
It's shrunk then!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 01, 2017 11:05 am

barmy billy wrote:
bluemike wrote:And if the crowd was 19000 then I have a 12" c**k
It's shrunk then!!
:D

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon May 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Ian Milne quoted as saying that, whilst he hasn't got the exact figure, it's definitely down on previous seasons! ME was unavailable for comment. :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon May 01, 2017 5:13 pm

herforder wrote:Ian Milne quoted as saying that, whilst he hasn't got the exact figure, it's definitely down on previous seasons! ME was unavailable for comment. :D
From his comments there appears to be quite a few things Mr Milne doesn't know.

To be fair they could have asked him if he knew where Mr Evans was at this moment in time?
He could have then said, I'm not sure but he is definitely not in Brazil.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:57 pm

herforder wrote:Ian Milne quoted as saying that, whilst he hasn't got the exact figure, it's definitely down on previous seasons! ME was unavailable for comment. :D
You speaking about the attendance, or Mikes c**k?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

My mate went, and he recons around 16'000 tops, he recons they added 3000 ST holders who weren't there, to make it look good, and Mick must have been right embarrassed walking round for the end of season with the players, with the stadium nearly empty, fans gone home who were P****D right off with this continued load of rubbish performed for the Town faithful, their owner and Milne management have quoted that a massive rebuilding will be conducted in the Summer, lets wait and see shall we, Probably one of Marcus's invited guests said, is this the type of performance they churn out week after week, no wonder your gates are down, Marcus just grins and reply's yep afraid so, but Mick keeps telling me things will get Better, :roll: and I believe him???