Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday preview & matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the Owls go the same way as the Magpies?

Ipswich Town win
45%
Draw
18%
Sheffield Wednesday win
36%

Total votes: 11

Jamma123

Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday preview & matchday thread

Post by Jamma123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Sheffield WednesdayImage

Saturday 29th April 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Opening Thought – Jamma

Following Easter Monday’s tremendous showing against Premier League-bound Newcastle, it was back down to Earth with a shuddering bump at the home of a team that all season have looked every inch the League One outfit they now are. We joked in the wake of the Newcastle victory that ‘We will probably go and lose to Rotherham now’, calling upon the gallows humour that, as Ipswich fans, we are well used to. But that doesn’t make it any more acceptable when it comes to pass! As has been well publicised, not only are we the only club to have conceded as much as a point at home against the not-so-merry Millers this season, we are now also the only side in the division who have failed to beat them in 2016/17. There were mitigating circumstances, of course, but when Mick McCarthy had said that he would make changes for this only certain ‘dead rubber’ of our three remaining games, we didn’t expect nine of them! As a result, the Blues weren’t able to find any cogency in their play. Far from taking the game to the opposition as we had in our previous outing, we invited pressure from Rotherham as our fringe players’ lack of game time together showed. We were fortunate not to go behind midway through the first half, Dean Gerken reminding us of his own goalkeeping credentials when saving a penalty from former – and perhaps future – Town target Danny Ward. One of few bright spots on the day was full debutant Danny Rowe, who looked to get on the ball whenever possible and had a number of chances to break the deadlock. Less instrumental were Teddy Bishop and Andre Dozzell, who struggled to make an impact in a midfield three. To McCarthy’s credit, he saw that the formation wasn’t working, and moved Dominic Samuel to the left side of midfield after bringing on Kieffer Moore. This gave us more of a foothold in the game, and so it was doubly frustrating to concede from yet another poorly defended set-piece. At the end of the match, we had four recognised strikers on the pitch, but by that time it was too little too late, as that elusive third consecutive win went begging and we instead picked up another unenviable stat.

So what do we have left to look forward to in what remains of the campaign? After we had finally started glancing up the league table, a top-half finish is now looking out of reach, with 13th realistically the best we can hope for. On the flip side of that, we could yet record our worst league finish since 1957. Saturday presents our last chance to secure just a third double of the season, as a late Luke Chambers header secured a somewhat unlikely win at Hillsborough in November. Staying with the positive theme, the Owls very much still have something to play for, with a top six place now seemingly assured but the possibility of finishing as high as 3rd. They will no doubt be keen to ensure home advantage in the second leg of the play-offs, so the pressure will again be on the opposition as it was against Newcastle. It is also likely to mean that Mick will name a team resembling the one that outclassed the Magpies. This may be a meaningless game for the Blues in many respects, but in reality there is still much at stake. There have been so many mixed messages coming out of the club in recent times. The inconsistency of our form is reflected by the managerial situation and the uncertainty surrounding the futures of many of the squad. It would be a statement of intent if Town were to at least wrap up the home campaign with a second successive win against one of the division’s best teams, and – amazingly – an eighth consecutive match unbeaten at Portman Road. Too much water has flowed under the bridge to make amends for this season, but the manager and players can start repairing the fractured relationship with supporters with another home display like the one against Newcastle. You know, it would be just like Ipswich to go and beat Sheffield Wednesday… :wink:

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club, Lancashire (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months.

On 1 February 1868, Wednesday played their first competitive football match as they entered the Cromwell Cup.

Charles Clegg joined Wednesday in 1867, starting a relationship that would last the rest of his life and eventually lead to him becoming the club's chairman. He also became president and chairman of the Football Association and was known as the "Napoleon of Football". In 1876, they acquired Scot James Lang. Although he was not employed by the club, he was given a job by a member of the Sheffield Wednesday board that had no formal duties. He is now acknowledged as the first professional football player in England.

The football club turned professional in 1887 after pressure from players threatening to defect to other clubs. The move to professionalism took the club from Bramall Lane, which had taken a share of the ticket revenue, to the new Olive Grove.

In 1889, the club became founder members of the Football Alliance. Despite finishing the following season bottom of the Alliance, they were eventually elected to the expanded Football League in 1892.

Due to an expansion of the local railway lines, the club was told that they would have to find a new ground for the 1899–1900 season. After a difficult search, the club finally bought some land in the village of Owlerton, which at the time was several miles outside the Sheffield city boundaries. Construction of a new stadium (now known as Hillsborough Stadium) was completed within months.

In the summer of 1912, a Wednesday player, George Robertson, presented the club with an owl mascot. A monkey mascot introduced some years earlier had not brought much luck.

The club was almost relegated in the 1927–28 season, but they pulled off a great escape, rising from bottom to 14th. Wednesday went on to win the League title the following season (1928–29), which started a run that saw the team finishing lower than third only once until 1936. The period was topped off with the team winning the FA Cup for the third time in the club's history in 1935.

The 1950s saw Wednesday unable to consistently hold on to a position in the top flight and this period became known as the yo-yo years. After being promoted back up in 1950, they were relegated three times, although each time they bounced back up by winning the Second Division the following season

This led to a decade of successfully remaining in the First Division, which included a run to the FA Cup final in 1966.

Off the field, the club was embroiled in the British betting scandal of 1964, in which three of their players were accused of match fixing and betting against their own team in an away game at Ipswich Town. The three were subsequently convicted and, on release from prison, banned from football for life.

Wednesday were relegated at the end of the 1969–70 season, starting the darkest period in the club's history. After going into free-fall, they dropped to the Third Division for the first time in their history and were marooned there for five seasons. The club was almost relegated to the Fourth Division in 1976, but a revival under the management of Jack Charlton, and the aid of coach Tony Toms and – after Charlton resigned in 1983 – Howard Wilkinson, saw them return to the First Division in 1984.

Sheffield Wednesday spent the majority of the 1980s and 1990s in the top tier of English football.

On 15 April 1989, the club's stadium was the scene of one of the worst sporting tragedies ever, at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, at which 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium. The tragedy resulted in many changes taking places at Hillsborough and all other leading stadiums in England.

The 1990–91 season was the only one out of sixteen in a row that Wednesday spent in a lower division, but the season is best remembered by fans for Wednesday's swift return to the top flight and their League Cup victory over Manchester United to win their first major trophy for over 50 years. This League Cup triumph was the last domestic cup to be won by a club competing outside the top level of English football.

Wednesday's fortunes took a turn for the worse when a succession of managers failed to maintain this form, and new managers spent small fortunes building squads that were ultimately ineffective, which saw the club's debts get out of control and Wednesday being relegated down to League 1.

After narrowly avoiding yet another relegation in 2003–04 and a poor start to the 2004–05 Football League One campaign, Paul Sturrock took over the Manager’s role and they were promoted back to the Championship via the playoffs. Sturrock was sacked after a poor start to the 2006–07 season and replaced by Brian Laws.

The 2007–08 season began with Wednesday's worst ever start to a season, as they lost six league games in a row, and they only avoided relegation with a win on the last day of the season. Halfway through Sheffield Wednesday's 2009–10 season, Brian Laws was sacked, and was replaced by Alan Irvine. On the last day of the season, needing a win to stay up, Wednesday drew 2–2 with Crystal Palace and were relegated to League One.

Between July and November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday faced a series of winding up orders for unpaid tax and VAT bills. On 29 November 2010, Milan Mandarić agreed to purchase the club. The purchase was completed after an Extraordinary General Meeting of Sheffield Wednesday's shareholders on 14 December 2010, during which 99.7% of shareholders voted to sell the company to Milan Mandarić's UK Football Investments for £1, as well as settling the club’s outstanding debts.

Gary Megson replaced Irvine as the club's manager in February 2011 and the Owls went on to finish 15th in League One. The following season, the Owls pushed on for promotion out of League One. But, after falling behind Charlton and Sheffield United at the top of the table, Megson was sacked and replaced by Dave Jones. Jones went on to guide the Owls to promotion to the Championship on the final day with a 2–0 home victory over Wycombe.

Following this season, the Owls struggled in the Championship. However, with a better run of form after Christmas, the club secured Championship safety on the final day of the season, beating Middlesbrough 2–0.

In the 2013/2014 season, Wednesday finished in 16th place with 53 points, ending the season under Stuart Gray’s management following Jones’ departure.

In 2014, the club was again taken over by a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m

In the 2014/15 season, the Owls finished in 13th place in the table with 60 points, before going up a gear last season to finish in 6th place and ultimately reaching the play-off final at Wembley, where they narrowly lost to Hull City 1-0 under Carlos Carvalhal’s leadership.

The Gaffer – Carlos Carvalhal

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Let's try and go out with a flourish at Portman Road.

Media Watch - K L Blue

MM's no regrets:

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-4986316

MM on Danny Rowe:

http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... 87836.aspx

Should we sign Danny Ward?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/21/rb ... r-ipswich/

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 16th place with 55 points

Rotherham 1-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 3-1 Newcastle Utd

Burton Albion 1-2 Ipswich Town

Fulham FC 3-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 3-0 Wigan Athletic

Sheffield Wed Last 5 Matches currently in 4th place with 78 points

Sheffield Wed 2-1 Derby County

QPR 1-2 Sheffield Wed

Sheffield Wed 1-0 Cardiff City

Sheffield Wed 2-1 Newcastle Utd

Rotherham 0-2 Sheffield Wed

Fixtures of Interest

BARNSLEY VS BURTON ALBION

BLACKBURN VS ASTON VILLA

DERBY VS WOLVES

Marko's Caption Contest – The Don Cup

Ok, two captions remaining and it's all hotting up in the race to be champ...... Any one of you Top 5 could claim the title, but any one of the others could potentially post some pure comedy gold to affect the outcome over the next two weeks. All to play for.

SCORES:
Ohiotractorboy 5pts
Blueblood 4pts (again with the coat!)
Ando 3pts
Frosty & Tangfastic 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

DerickIpsw 72
Blueblood 70
Nicscreamer 69
Gold&Black 66
Herforder 65
Frosty 59
Tangfastic 58
Ando 57
Bluemike 57
Watership Down 34
Number 9 32
Shed on Tour 28
Quasar 28
IpswichtownNo1 25
Patthegimp 17
Ashfordblue 11
Barmy Billy 9
Supershred 6
LoudNProud 6
Ohiotractorboy 5
Longjohn 1
Foxy Lady 1
ItfcTrev76 1

Penultimate pic:

Match Referee – James Adcock

Final Thought – Bluemike

What an after the Lord Mayor's show that was. From the euphoria of putting Newcastle to the sword, we had the indignation and utter embarrassment of being beaten by relegated Rotherham and, as a result of that, we find ourselves as the only team not to have a superior head to head against them. All that being said, it has to be realised that it was a "reserve" side who took to the field in blue, nine changes proving to be too much to come to terms with on the day. Very few came out with much credit and the players who are generally regarded as certs to start have little to worry about. I think it is fair to say that Mick is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. People wanted change, they got it, suddenly they got too much of it and, while I can kinda see that myself, is it really worthy of being another stick to beat him with? As I have said numerous times, pretty much everything he does now will be viewed as wrong, and that for me is why change should really happen in the summer. Something tells me it won’t be happening, though.

So we find ourselves at the final home game of the season, a very disappointing season where our home form is concerned. Portman Road has been an awful place for the last nine months. Poor performances, dull entertainment, toxic atmospheres, empty stands – you name it, we've had it all. I must confess I love the away days and have hated the home games lately. I would happily play away 46 times given the chance. It's been that bad and, while I get that, as manager, Mick cannot say some of the things he does about the fans, a big part of me completely agrees with him if I am honest. For me, they have at times made it worse than it may have been. The lap of honour at the end of Saturday's game could well be very uncomfortable indeed. First off, will many actually stay to applaud the team, and secondly how will they be received by those who do stay?

Sheffield Wednesday obviously have a fair bit riding on this game, so that in itself should make it a decent encounter, and, like the Newcastle game, it could well play into our hands, as we can play with the same freedom. It would be lovely to go out on a real high at PR by bringing home the points and I think we could well do it again. Hard-fought home win for me. Town 2-1 Wednesday.

IPSWICH TOWN 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday preview & matchday thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 am

Excellent preview again, you guys will be glad when it's done for the season...... a very welcome break.

Definitely agree with Mick being damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had it been a win v Rotherham, the conversation would've been discussing it being the possible blueprint team for next season! Such is this game and, (wages aside) the nightmare the managers role can be at times. I did get a bit confused as to why the anger level was SO great after the game. With absolutely nothing riding on the game for either team, he could've played my fat granny in goal and I would've been totally fine with it. Just as long as she got her fat a$$ back here for her famous Sunday morning fry up.

I think Wednesday will be completely focussed on one thing and that's the win. They need to rubber stamp that play off place. Winning last 5, cannot see why it shouldn't be 6 in a row for them.
2-1 Wednesday....... (Town must score in the last home game)

Ref:

Player: Ref, we heard that you heard a mouse with clogs on. Right where?
Ref: Right there.
Player: Really?
Ref: Well I declare, it was going clip clippity clop on the stair, right there.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am

marko69 wrote: Definitely agree with Mick being damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
I'm not sure I agree. The top prem teams get knocked out of the Cup by lower league opposition when they make so many changes. So it's no surprise we lost to a team in the same division.

I think to field so many non-regulars was an insult to the travelling fans, it's not as if it was a short journey.

If he wants to try the youngsters, he needs to give them 15 - 20 minutes of game time regularly. But preferably when we are winning. Maybe even winning by 2 goals. But to get into that situation you have to set out to win games rather than not lose. MM recently claimed he doesn't set out defensively but statistics say otherwise.

As you say, Wednesday will want this more than us. 3 - 1 defeat.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am

ITFC 1 : SW 1

Caption:

Male SW fan to crying female fan " Hey - I can take you from behind.... hands-free!!! Sorry.. bit painful - forgot the lube"

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:31 pm

We have been a strange team this season, so anything could happen. How about a 2-1 win for town??

Caption - Boy -" oh sh*t, the super glue leaked"
Girl " ahhh its on me scarf"

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:22 pm

I think this is a defeat coming at the hands of Wednesday Ipswich 1 - Wednesday 2

Caption " Please Marko let Blueblood win"

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Caption. Girl. Someone has just cum in my eye from the top tier.
Lad. And on my head.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Great penultimate preview - almost there, guys!

MM reverting to Burton/Newcastle winning team - no surprises there, then! Let's hope we play with the same attacking intent, press high and stop their game. Most of all: 'Let Us Entertain You'. Well, we can live in hope! Despite the doubts, we do have that ability within the squad - just chose to hide it very well!

Let's go for a 2-1 win for the last home game of what, by every yardstick, has been a massively disappointing season. Lots for ME and MM to chew on; but a 'do not very much' outcome won't wash. ST sales have apparently dipped below the dreaded 10,000 level :shock:

Caption:

Young lad: 'Does sniffing that scarf remind you of your boyfriend?'

Girl: 'No, my pussy'.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

:lol: That's ^^^ a bit rude for you, Herforder! I'm shocked here! :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 pm

marko69 wrote::lol: That's ^^^ a bit rude for you, Herforder! I'm shocked here! :lol:
Rude? Can't imagine what you mean!! :blush:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Ah right I see! The cat was lying on the scarf before she left to go out! :D

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Watership Down wrote:I think this is a defeat coming at the hands of Wednesday Ipswich 1 - Wednesday 2

Caption " Please Marko let Blueblood win"
That`s a winner for me.... :wink: :lol:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Caption Comp: He used to celebrate around the bed like that after scoring with me.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

marko69 wrote:Ah right I see! The cat was lying on the scarf before she left to go out! :D
Spot on! Or was it My Little Pony?...but that's another story. :wink:

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 am

Let's hope it's a home win for the last game at home.

Caption Christ when was the last time he washed under his arm pits !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:26 am

Got respect for an opposition team that provided the first American to both play and score at Wembley national stadium and even voted their way to take victory for this game. Looks like they're assured of a play-off shot for the season whatever occurs in their final domestic games while we ourselves are too often erratic and impossible to judge. Hope for a vociferous atmosphere for the final home fixture and crowd with it, but expect them to edge it on the day in question.

Ipswich 2 Sheffield Wednesday 4

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:20 am

Caption Comp : Do you wake up in the morning with Sore itchy sticky eyes Conjunctivitis NO! Semen from last night ? Let your local pharmacy tell you what it is . NHS Choices. We are here to help.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am

That's two captions about spunk in the eye?? What's happening at football grounds in England, people? When we Scots call you a shower o w*nkers, we really are only joking! (Sometimes)

Edit, add a smiley ffs! :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 am

marko69 wrote:That's two captions about spunk in the eye?? What's happening at football grounds in England, people? When we Scots call you a shower o w*nkers, we really are only joking! (Sometimes)

Yep I'm looking forward to a real friendly Scottish welcome on the 10th June. :wink: :lol:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:29 am

marko69 wrote:That's two captions about spunk in the eye?? What's happening at football grounds in England, people? When we Scots call you a shower o w*nkers, we really are only joking! (Sometimes)

Reminds me of Steel Panthers "Bukake Tears". I recommend a listen :-)

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Caption

"f**king contact lenses ....... Should have gone to spec savers"

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Wipe the tears young lady, perhaps you wont be playing Sheff United next season. perhaps Sheff United won’t get promoted, perhaps Wednesday will get promoted. Actually thinking about it perhaps you need a bigger hankerchief

Image....Image

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Quasar........ Your Ipswich Town prediction league prediction made me choke on my McDonalds cappuccino! Quality "end of season, not giving a fk" stuff right there. :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Caption comp:

Lad to girl: 'oooh, you're right eye looks very milky'

Girl: 'OMG no! Full fat or semi-skimmed'.?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:39 pm

herforder wrote:Caption comp:

Lad: Nope, red top.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Shed on tour wrote:

Yep I'm looking forward to a real friendly Scottish welcome on the 10th June. :wink: :lol:
:lol: Remember, if anything kicks off other than the football, it'll be the Glesgae folks! We from Edinburger are a civilised bunch. Was at Greenock Morton last month......, the 16-20 age group ------> proper nutcases.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

:lol: Remember, if anything kicks off other than the football, it'll be the Glesgae folks! We from Edinburger are a civilised bunch. Was at Greenock Morton last month......, the 16-20 age group ------> proper nutcases.
It's been a few years now since we have been up to Cappielow.
The people we knew when we went there were all nut cases! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Bloody hell, I forgot all about that......, you're a Morton fan! Then you'll know whit am oan aboot eh?! People talk about Millwall? ......, get their erses tae Morton ya bas! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 pm

marko69 wrote:Bloody hell, I forgot all about that......, you're a Morton fan! Then you'll know whit am oan aboot eh?! People talk about Millwall? ......, get their erses tae Morton ya bas! :lol:
Makes me laugh when people go on about the Town fans having a go at the players.

Remember one game at Morton and the abuse the fans were giving their own players was unbelievable. I reckon if it happened at Portman Road some of the players would burst into tears! :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Caption comp:

Lad: Nope, red top.
:D