Steijn on List of Possible McCarthy replacement

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Steijn on List of Possible McCarthy replacement

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Steijn: I'm on List of Possible New Ipswich Bosses
Monday, 1st May 2017 17:34

VVV-Venlo manager Maurice Steijn understands he is on a list of potential new Town bosses but hasn’t heard anything from the club and says it’s likely he’ll still be with his current club next season.

TweetFacebookLinkedInEmailShareThis
Steijn, 43, who saw VVV to the Jupiler League (Dutch second tier) title this season, was first mentioned in connection with the Blues early in April when his agent said he was aware of rumours linking his client with Town but said there had been no contact.

Later in the month, the former ADO Den Haag midfielder and manager subsequently added that he hadn’t spoken to the Blues.

Now, speaking to Dutch TV channel Omroep West, Steijn says he has been told he is on a list of potential successors to current Town boss Mick McCarthy.

“I know there is a list of possible new coaches for Ipswich Town,” he said. “I'm on that list.

“A couple of English journalists called me and confirmed that. But as long as I don't hear anything, it is not an option. It’s most likely therefore that I will still be working at VVV next year.”

Steijn is contracted to VVV for another season with talks regarding an extension having taken place.

However, his current deal includes a clause allowing him to depart if a bigger club comes calling and he doesn't rule out moving on: "I'm open to a departure."

In January, Town boss McCarthy said he would make a decision on whether to stay at Portman Road in the summer, which may have led the Blues to look at potential options if he decided to move on.

However, while MD Ian Milne said on Saturday that the former Millwall, Republic of Ireland, Sunderland and Wolves manager's future has not yet been confirmed, McCarthy himself has more recently said on a number of occasions that he has no plans to move on.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Symonds has left the Marcus Evans Group but currently remains a director of Town.

Symonds was appointed the chief operating officer of mobile ticketing company Active PLC in January after more than 20 years with MEG.

He joined the Town board in November 2007 following Marcus Evans’s takeover and was joint-managing director with Milne between April 2013 and August 2015.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Steijn on List of Possible McCarthy replacement

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Not sure why there is a list when he is clearly not going anywhere.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Are we sure he's (MM) not going anywhere. Evans is unpredictable in many ways .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 am

Until there's an actual vacancy for manager of this club - and McCarthy is far and distant from the walls of the stadium and can inflict no further harm or jeopardy - then it's tough to make judgments with other potential candidates.

Good enough a look to the continent for one of the lesser established European names and it's team coach is of tangible interest, (and) right now I'd take a gamble on this suggested name over what we now possess with little hesitation, but since our excellent manager refuses to make an announcement one way or another regards his immediate future, no-one seems to know what the f*ck is going to happen next.

Tell you now I'm pretty sure that Mick McCarthy has had enough and realizes he can do no more with this club side and has made the decision to quit but until he discloses the information he's only causing further confusion and unrest.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Probably a cheap replacement knowing ME

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue May 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Thought that font of all football expertise, Ian milne, sounded less than convincing when asked about MM's future recently. But then what the fu*k does he know?

I suppose, for now, we have to go with Mick's last statement; until told otherwise by that fugitive from Brazilian justice!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:48 am

herforder wrote:Thought that font of all football expertise, Ian milne, sounded less than convincing when asked about MM's future recently. But then what the fu*k does he know?

I suppose, for now, we have to go with Mick's last statement; until told otherwise by that fugitive from Brazilian justice!
To be fair have you ever heard Milne sound convincing about anything!? He seems to answer every question with an open ended answer leaving a lot to the imagination, he never says anything with much clarity.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed May 03, 2017 12:23 pm

A new career, as a politician, beckons for him! :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm

bluemike wrote:Not sure why there is a list when he is clearly not going anywhere.
Exactly. He is going know where.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 pm

He's A Real Nowhere Man, then!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Frank spencer ??

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 07, 2017 3:58 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:Frank spencer ??
Some time since last viewing, but didn't the character accept or realize he was a failure ? Can't make comparisons as McCarthy seems oblivious he's an incompetent as* and as much use as tits on a boar.

Seriously his departure can't come soon enough.