Burton Albion - The Great Survival

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Burton Albion - The Great Survival

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am

Just getting into the Championship was beyond the dreams of Burton Albion FC who were only formed 67 years ago in 1950.

Surviving in the second tier of English football, having competed with the might of Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Derby County et al, means the Brewers have now moved into miracle territory.

Former Town player Luke Varney's equaliser, his first goal for the club, at Oakwell on Saturday where Albion drew 1-1 meant the Brewers are now four points clear of the bottom three with only one game remaining.

It means a second straight season at this level for Nigel Clough's team, who only made their Football League debut in 2009. Ben Robinson's chairmanship has seen Albion rise from battling for promotion out of the Northern and Southern Premier Leagues into a side who are guaranteed to finish above two-time European champions Nottingham Forest this term.

Some people round here think Burtons achievement is even greater than Leicester City's Premiership win, and given they only have a fan base of circa 7000 and a ground which holds even fewer it's hard to argue. It would certainly be no surprise to see Nigel Clough become the Championship's Manager of the season and most would have expected Blackburn Rovers Birmingham City & Nottingham Forest to have been well above them.

Burton Albion are also rewarding the loyalty of season ticket holders with a price freeze for a third consecutive season. Brewers fans can renew their season tickets for the 2017/2018 season at the same price as they paid last year up until June 30.

This means fans who purchased season tickets at League Two prices will continue to pay that price. The longest standing season ticket holders will be paying as little as £255 (£11.09 per game - standing) or £294 (£12.78 per game - seats).

In addition, under 8s can pay just £23 for a season ticket (just £1 per match) when purchased with an equivalent adult or senior season ticket - terrace only.

I'm not sure how this compares with Town prices but I guess it's quite attractive and no surprise they have one of the happiest set of fans in the football league, and I for one really look forward to returning to this quaint little football ground when Town return to The Pirelli Stadium next season.

Well done Burton Albion.

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Burton Albion - The Great Survival

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Just a thought when will they have to make their ground all seater , and how much will it cost the club to do, can they afford it?
Well done to them for staying up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Really glad they have survived. Great little ground and friendly supporters. It's a "proper" football Club.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Great achievement for a club that still retains and values it's soul (and supporters!).

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:Really glad they have survived. Great little ground and friendly supporters. It's a "proper" football Club.
Just like Ipswich used to be

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 pm

I too am so pleased for them, I enjoyed my trip there recently and can't wait for a return next season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:Just a thought when will they have to make their ground all seater , and how much will it cost the club to do, can they afford it?
Well done to them for staying up.

League rules state that each Championship club shall, with effect from the start of its fourth season in the division, have to provide an all-seater stadium.

I've no idea how much this will cost but given the Stadium was funded in full by Pirelli, maybe they would be prepared to stump up whatever it costs to provide seating.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Don't know how Brentford get away with it then.