Berra to leave Ipswich

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

lucy

Berra to leave Ipswich

Post by lucy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 am

The club have confirmed he is leaving Ipswich for personal reasons.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news ... erras-exit

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Berra to leave Ipswich

Post by marko69 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Certainly been a very good defender for Ipswich Town during his tenure, especially the first two years if match reports were accurate. Easy to understand that the past years dip in form was due to close family issues and quite serious issues at that. He was solid at the Jambos, solid at Wolves, and (with age and the issues) not as solid at ITFC, but certainly good enough. Tommy Smith being so utter sh*t may have made him look better than he was, but that's open to debate and of course, opinion.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm

He has indeed been a good servant and solid defender; I hope he finds a new club quickly.

Maybe worth noting that the Chambers - Smith central pairing did, I believe, have a higher proportion of clean sheets than the Berra - Smith partnership. Unfortunately MM's determination to play Chambers, Smith and Berra meant Smith had to play on the wrong side and Chambers had to play full back. So instead of getting in a right back, we played 3 central defenders, with 2 of them out of position. I don't think this did Smith or Chambers any favours.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Andym wrote:He has indeed been a good servant and solid defender; I hope he finds a new club quickly.

Maybe worth noting that the Chambers - Smith central pairing did, I believe, have a higher proportion of clean sheets than the Berra - Smith partnership. Unfortunately MM's determination to play Chambers, Smith and Berra meant Smith had to play on the wrong side and Chambers had to play full back. So instead of getting in a right back, we played 3 central defenders, with 2 of them out of position. I don't think this did Smith or Chambers any favours.
Your absolutely right about playing all 3 of them. That baffled me and most other fans, and it happened for a long time, probably until his hand was forced to make a change. I think it did chambers the most harm to be honest but smith also suffered, he is very left footed. People can say what they like about smith but he has the best header in the club and is our most threatening defender from set pieces (probably followed by chambers). I don't mind smith when played in right position, he has a tendency to hoof a bit too much from the back but then I guess he is probably told to do that, certainly Berra was always good for a hoof too

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Depending on who we bring in will determine if he is missed or not, I am not overly sad as long as he is replaced, we need new blood and new ideas, Chambers & Webster are Two solid CB's we need another one as for Smith is just not good enough which ever side he playes, too many silly errors have blighted his career, we need better.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm

charlton837 wrote:Berra was always good for a hoof too
Mate....... he's Scottish! We are fking AWESOME @ that!